Hello! Muslim youth looking to hear about your faith from actual Christians and make friends!

researchguy

Jan 15, 2019
southeast
✟18,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
I am 19, and a Muslim male, I live in the United States and am practicing, however I am from a sect that is persecuted in my parents' home country of Turkey so I could never truly relate to mainstream Islamic circles especially online especially because the Turkish leader is so popular with Muslims, both sunni and shia, despite the.....let's just say questionable things he's done. Don't wanna get too political I understand this is a delicate forum. I was referred to this forum by a muslim forum. Anyway, I enjoy doing research (as my name suggests!), spending time with friends and family, learning about various subjects, including religion, but not just my own religion, worshipping, conspiracy theories, scary urban legends, taking walks, walking around my house due to my ADHD, enjoying the fresh air, and spending time with my cat. I am in college. I hope to become an economist.

researchguy

Jan 15, 2019
southeast
✟18,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
I am 19, and a Muslim male, I live in the United States and am practicing, however I am from a sect that is persecuted in my parents' home country of Turkey so I could never truly relate to mainstream Islamic circles especially online especially because the Turkish leader is so popular with Muslims, both sunni and shia, despite the.....let's just say questionable things he's done. Don't wanna get too political I understand this is a delicate forum. I was referred to this forum by a muslim forum. Anyway, I enjoy doing research (as my name suggests!), spending time with friends and family, learning about various subjects, including religion, but not just my own religion, worshipping, conspiracy theories, scary urban legends, taking walks, walking around my house due to my ADHD, enjoying the fresh air, and spending time with my cat. I am in college. I hope to become an economist.
I also hope to learn about christianity from actual christians rather than from muslims on islamic channels, lol. and make friends here.

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

researchguy

Jan 15, 2019
southeast
✟18,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
I am 19, and a Muslim male, I live in the United States and am practicing, however I am from a sect that is persecuted in my parents' home country of Turkey so I could never truly relate to mainstream Islamic circles especially online especially because the Turkish leader is so popular with Muslims, both sunni and shia, despite the.....let's just say questionable things he's done. Don't wanna get too political I understand this is a delicate forum. I was referred to this forum by a muslim forum. Anyway, I enjoy doing research (as my name suggests!), spending time with friends and family, learning about various subjects, including religion, but not just my own religion, worshipping, conspiracy theories, scary urban legends, taking walks, walking around my house due to my ADHD, enjoying the fresh air, and spending time with my cat. I am in college.

Upvote 0

Loyce KG

Everyone MUST hear the gospel of Christ!
Nov 19, 2018
Kampala
✟44,026.00
Country
Uganda
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Nice to make acquaintance. What would you specifically want to learn from Christians if you don't mind?
Are there specific issues you would like addressed?
It's no accident that you're here and pray you find the truth you are seeking for.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to Christian Forums! I hope you will find here answers to your questions, a welcoming place to explore Christianity, and friendship. I think it is good to understand others’ faiths, even in disagreement.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I also hope to learn about christianity from actual christians rather than from muslims on islamic channels, lol. and make friends here.
Greetings my friend. I hope we can answer your questions.

But as a warning, you may find some very enthusiastic evangelists trying to "convert you", and from various sources, I understand such a conversion is worthy of death for a Muslim?

Anyway, that said, please tell us from your point of view, what you already believe about the nature of God.

Upvote 0

researchguy

Jan 15, 2019
southeast
✟18,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Nice to make acquaintance. What would you specifically want to learn from Christians if you don't mind?
Are there specific issues you would like addressed?
It's no accident that you're here and pray you find the truth you are seeking for.
well, specifically, if the Prophets of the Bible, especially the Old Testament, are meant to convey moral truths, why do they committ such horrible crimes? Like King david. His son Amnon rapes his half sister tamar, and King David does nothing out of love for his son Amnon. Then Amnon doesn't marry tamar, then absalom has amnon killed, then leads a rebellion, then gets killed. also, king david committs adultery and has uriah killed, and the baby is made to suffer. this has me feel comfortable, to say the least. whereas in the qur'an King david is made out to be a sinless hero. also, king solomon dedicates statues that cost much taxpayer money that lead to rebellion to other women's gods. again, in the Qur'an, King Solomon is described in great detail as a hero. i mean no offense, i genuinely just want to learn. im not out to convert anybody like CERTAIN people. (Muslims i know)

• Useful
Upvote 0

researchguy

Jan 15, 2019
southeast
✟18,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Greetings my friend. I hope we can answer your questions.

But as a warning, you may find some very enthusiastic evangelists trying to "convert you", and from various sources, I understand such a conversion is worthy of death for a Muslim?

Anyway, that said, please tell us from your point of view, what you already believe about the nature of God.
Lol, I live in the United States, I wouldn't get killed for converting, perhaps disowned, but not even that. I've done this with atheism and other religions before, and my mother did nothing, but eventually I settled down and decided my version of Islam was the truth. and there's no no-go zones here. my understanding of God is that he alone is worthy of worship, and free of partners, and who is in control of everything and who rewards the righteous believers and those to whom revelation did not come who were good (according to many in my sect im pretty sure that also includes christians and jews, but im not sure if thats just slander by angry turks) and punishes the sinners and disbelievers and who is the causer of causes and the origin of everything and true love belongs to him, and that all things should be loved in his name.

• Informative
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hello ... researchguy ...

Happy to make your acquaintance.

Here's hoping and praying that we can share blessed and fruitful time together in the love and salvation of God ...

God bless you in your life's journey ...

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
well, specifically, if the Prophets of the Bible, especially the Old Testament, are meant to convey moral truths, why do they committ such horrible crimes? Like King david. His son Amnon rapes his half sister tamar, and King David does nothing out of love for his son Amnon. Then Amnon doesn't marry tamar, then absalom has amnon killed, then leads a rebellion, then gets killed. also, king david committs adultery and has uriah killed, and the baby is made to suffer. this has me feel comfortable, to say the least. whereas in the qur'an King david is made out to be a sinless hero. also, king solomon dedicates statues that cost much taxpayer money that lead to rebellion to other women's gods. again, in the Qur'an, King Solomon is described in great detail as a hero. i mean no offense, i genuinely just want to learn. im not out to convert anybody like CERTAIN people. (Muslims i know)

I believe that the main message of the Christian scriptures is that God desires fellowship with us, despite our current imperfections and immorality.

But to have fellowship with God, we must, at least, be willing to follow His guidance out of our immorality. Not to live perfectly, per se, ... but such must be our heart's desire.

Such was the case with David, who experienced many moral failures in his life, ... but whose heart was committed to cultivating and maintaining fellowship with God.

To that end, God has sent to us His own Son, Jesus, ... so that we would have a good moral leader to follow.

One of the things that convinces me of the truth of the Christian scriptures, ... is that it presents men as we know them to be, ... rather than in idealized sinless perfection.

Such a presentation seems to say ... that God is willing to work with us in our imperfection ... so that He might guide us to perfection.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Seadish

Oct 16, 2018
Colorado
✟33,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The biggest difference I know of between your belief and mine is That I can have a deep personal relationship with God through Christ. My good deeds also get me nowhere. I could go on on but I won't some of us know a bit of the koran maybe read a Bible that is a great part of how I study other "religions" .

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
well, specifically, if the Prophets of the Bible, especially the Old Testament, are meant to convey moral truths, why do they committ such horrible crimes?
All men are flawed and no man is perfect by his own efforts. That's the prime message in the Judeo-Christian scriptures.
In no way does that excuse bad behaviour, but illustrates human nature.
ie. Man cannot perfect himself.
Like King david. His son Amnon rapes his half sister tamar, and King David does nothing out of love for his son Amnon. Then Amnon doesn't marry tamar, then absalom has amnon killed, then leads a rebellion, then gets killed. also, king david committs adultery and has uriah killed, and the baby is made to suffer. this has me feel comfortable, to say the least.
(Did you mean uncomfortable?)
Despite all the failure you describe, David was called "A man after God's own heart" because he always admitted his guilt before God and sought forgiveness.
whereas in the qur'an King david is made out to be a sinless hero. also, king solomon dedicates statues that cost much taxpayer money that lead to rebellion to other women's gods. again, in the Qur'an, King Solomon is described in great detail as a hero.
Huge sections of history, as related in the Koran, originates from the Hebrew scriptures. In order to find where the truth lies, we need to go to the original sources.

As Islam originates around 600 AD, its scriptures are much much later than the originals.
And adding to that, do you really believe that all these patriarchs were sinlessly perfect? And if they were that perfect, why do we never see such sinlessly perfect men around us today, whether Jewish, Christians, or Muslim?
To my simple observation, all me are very flawed, especially me!
i mean no offense, i genuinely just want to learn.
No offense taken, we are merely exploring facts.

The only hope we have of perfection is through humility and God's forgiveness.
My relationship with God is not based on my perfection, but on God's love and forgiveness for my sinful failures.

• Informative
Reactions: researchguy
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi ResearchGuy And welcome!

Which sect of Islam do you follow? Sufi Islam?

BTW, when you start getting answers about Christianity, you will get answers that are very different. There are over a thousand different faith streams, each with unique doctrines and practices.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
BTW, when you start getting answers about Christianity, you will get answers that are very different. There are over a thousand different faith streams, each with unique doctrines and practices.
And mine is entirely different to them all:preach:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Greetings. You sound like a cool guy. I hope you find what you're looking for.

The Bible shows people the way they were, warts and all. In fact it says, "there is none righteous, no not one". Kind David was an amazing lover of God. Not only did he live a victorious faith-filled life, he wrote some of the most beautiful devotions we have, in the Psalms. But he was a man, of the fallen human race, and committed some big sins. When he did, he brought consequences on himself, such as the family bloodletting you refer to. It actually happened to him according to his own judgment when Nathan the prophet told him the story of the rich man who had taken the lamb of the poor man: he paid four times over.

There is much else we can say, but for now I would encourage you to keep seeking. Jesus promises in the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7) that all who ask, receive, who seek, find, and who knock, have it opened to them. Persistence is the key. At the same time, make you actually know for yourself what the Koran says as well, because there are many passages there you might find difficult. There are some excellent ministries that highlight the differences between the two faiths and their founders.

Lastly, you will find many opinions in the Body of Christ, the church. This is how it is when we interpret things ourselves, and everyone is in a different place. We do tend to agree on the basics, though - the person of Christ, and the nature of His completed works on our behalf.

Be blessed.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello and welcome to CF!

I would be very interested to chat with you and maybe compare notes a bit. I have an ulterior motive, lol. I am usually in Church during our yearly festivals to greet visitors and hopefully answer questions. A Muslim man came in last year with two of his (just about grown) children and said basically "tell me all about your faith". I have learned on talking to different kinds of Christians that if I know what they believe, I better know how to explain what we believe so that they don't misunderstand. I know a little about Muslim beliefs, but not enough to think I made a successful answer to their questions.

As to King David and Solomon making big mistakes - in a way that points to the truth of the Scriptures. Man would like to think their prophets and leaders are perfect and holy, and would have had a tendency to kind of "rewrite" the history where it wasn't so rosy. But the Holy Scriptures don't try to make things fit better or look better. Sometimes it's a bit messy - but that's just truth.

Why such problems? Because human beings are fallen and have weaknesses. Christ has taught us how to struggle and given us the power to do so. But particularly in earlier times there was less knowledge. Even with knowledge and power, sometimes now many people fail. David's "problem" (and Solomon's too in this case) was really rooted in love, which isn't a bad thing. David allowed his love for his son to prevent him from making things right. Solomon allowed his love for his wives to over-indulge them. Both had been warned - Solomon was warned against taking all those pagan wives. David's problems went back to the temptation he gave in to with Bathsheba. Again - a weakness. At least he relented from that. And that's part of the value of keeping it in Scripture.

Today we have our weaknesses. Some of us might not think so - we might look at someone else and say "at least I'm not committing THAT sin". But we can't praise ourselves for not having such terrible temptations as someone else. What do we do with our own temptations - even if we only see them as "little" ones? We can probably find pride, or a lack of love, or greed, or self-centeredness, along with other failings in ourselves if we are honest. And knowing that even great figures in the Scriptures struggled with worse and yet were forgiven if they repented, is encouraging.

But God DOES call us to holiness. Many Christians who follow modern teachings may not be taught that, or may be taught wrong things about it. That's a problem with Christianity having split and divided and trying to reform and so on. And why you may find a hundred answers to any question. Much of the old writings still survive though and have been kept, and many translated. It can be difficult for us to sort through them though. That's not a path I intended to go down in this post though. Forgive me.

There ARE those holy ones. But even they often have darker backgrounds which helped them come to repent and truly follow God. I can understand the expectation that anyone you choose to listen to should attain a character befitting one of God's. But don't be surprised if they weren't always born with it, or their families are of a different character.

Again, welcome to CF. I hope you are enriched by being here, and I'd look forward to talking to you more.

BTW, your general beliefs from what I saw are pretty much the same as ours (Orthodox), except we do believe in the Holy Trinity. However - there is ONE GOD. That I have not managed to successfully explain to a Muslim. We don't fully understand God ourselves. (Man cannot.) But I've known more than one "non-Trinitarian Christian" who actually realized they believed what we believe, once they understood better what we really believe. It's a very difficult subject and people usually misunderstand.

Again, welcome!!!

• Informative
Upvote 0

researchguy

Jan 15, 2019
southeast
✟18,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Hi ResearchGuy And welcome!

Which sect of Islam do you follow? Sufi Islam?

A type of Sunni-Sufi Islam. Can't name it, Erdogan's trolls may be reading this, I don't want my family, or my potential to visit turkey, at risk.

Upvote 0