✟8,223.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm here mainly to learn on several fronts. First a bit of backstory:

I was born with a facial difference (deformity). As I became aware of this at an early age and as I grew into a teenager and young adult, I adopted an attitude of blame towards God for letting this happen and setting in motion all my negative beliefs and mindset about myself.

Skip ahead to the present day and my involvement in Al-Anon (for families of alcoholics). Those who know AA and Al-Anon are familiar with the various themes and slogans that are an integral part of the group meetings. One of the most important slogans is: Let go and let God.

One thing about Al-Anon, it not only works for dealing with alcohol. You can use the principles for working with almost any problematic area of life.

I am currently stuck in Al-Anon and in life in general because I can't seem to let go of my resentment and blame I feel towards God for allowing my deformity to happen. This resentment prevents me from trusting and having faith that he has my back and that I can come to him with my problems. Since I hold resentment, I am doubly isolated from receiving God's graces, it would seem.

So I am here to try to unravel my resentment, get closer to God, learn how to let go and trust in his good intentions for me. Lastly, I want to learn gratitude, because this is another gaping hole in my life. I just don't feel anything deeper than a superficial thankfulness for the good things in my life. I am far more frustrated by what is lacking. So I need to turn this around as well.

That's it for now.
Doubting Lyle

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I was born with a facial difference (deformity). As I became aware of this at an early age and as I grew into a teenager and young adult, I adopted an attitude of blame towards God for letting this happen and setting in motion all my negative beliefs and mindset about myself.

Skip ahead to the present day and my involvement in Al-Anon (for families of alcoholics). Those who know AA and Al-Anon are familiar with the various themes and slogans that are an integral part of the group meetings. One of the most important slogans is: Let go and let God.

One thing about Al-Anon, it not only works for dealing with alcohol. You can use the principles for working with almost any problematic area of life.

I am currently stuck in Al-Anon and in life in general because I can't seem to let go of my resentment and blame I feel towards God for allowing my deformity to happen. This resentment prevents me from trusting and having faith that he has my back and that I can come to him with my problems. Since I hold resentment, I am doubly isolated from receiving God's graces, it would seem.

So I am here to try to unravel my resentment, get closer to God, learn how to let go and trust in his good intentions for me. Lastly, I want to learn gratitude, because this is another gaping hole in my life. I just don't feel anything deeper than a superficial thankfulness for the good things in my life. I am far more frustrated by what is lacking. So I need to turn this around as well.

That's it for now.
Doubting Lyle

hi

Nice to meet you. Thanks for sharing

i have a lot of difficulty trusting God has my back because i didnt feel safe most of my life due to abuse from a christian parent. An d resented God and my mum for staying with him and letting it happen

i am in Overeaters anon fellowship for eating issues and therapy also for related issues

Upvote 0

Newsgurl

Always here to help
Apr 8, 2017
United States
✟23,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Welcome! Thank you for sharing your story. I know how it feels like to be different from others and every day since I was 28 I would ask God why did he make me this way. I have no memory of me being born up till when I was 7 due to an illness I had as a child but now I have memory problems and I stutter when I talk. I would have to study twice as hard than the other kids at school. I would go home crying blaming God for making me this way but when I got older I realized my story could help others who are going through the same thing. I don’t think God messed up when He made you or anybody. We’re made for a reason and that reason is to trust God with His plans He has for us. If you ever want to talk to me more feel free to message me I’m here anytime you want to talk.

Upvote 0

Doubting Lyle

Oct 15, 2020
suburb of Chicago, IL
✟8,223.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Welcome! Thank you for sharing your story. I know how it feels like to be different from others and every day since I was 28 I would ask God why did he make me this way. I have no memory of me being born up till when I was 7 due to an illness I had as a child but now I have memory problems and I stutter when I talk. I would have to study twice as hard than the other kids at school. I would go home crying blaming God for making me this way but when I got older I realized my story could help others who are going through the same thing. I don’t think God messed up when He made you or anybody. We’re made for a reason and that reason is to trust God with His plans He has for us. If you ever want to talk to me more feel free to message me I’m here anytime you want to talk.
Thank you, Newsgurl. I've come a long way, but my two biggest remaining hangups are as I described. I will most likely take you up on your offer to message. Maybe we can help each other in the process. Looking forward to future conversations. :)

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

That's it for now.
Doubting Lyle

Welcome, Lyle!

You're in good company here, with lots of imperfect, flawed people :) God can handle your resentment, I promise you. He loves you just the same.

Upvote 0

Doubting Lyle

Oct 15, 2020
suburb of Chicago, IL
✟8,223.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Welcome, Lyle!

You're in good company here, with lots of imperfect, flawed people :) God can handle your resentment, I promise you. He loves you just the same.
Thank you, Nerdgirl123

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That's it for now.
Doubting Lyle

Hi Lyle; when in doubt; sing praises to the Lord; and on that note:
welcome to CF; May the Lord Jesus guide you here as well as in the world; and may you find friends and what ever you need from the Lord here.

I do have a question for you; do you like music--Praise & Worship music?

I have found; in times of trouble; like we have with this CV-19; that listening to; and singing along to good Christian P&W music; can bring us closer to Jesus and His wonderful peace.

Well we have a new forum here at CF just for P&W music and at the top is a directory of other Christian music threads around CF; come and take a look!:wave:

Praise and Worship Music

images

To The

238348_da04309d434d67254a1115a692df42c4.jpeg

Upvote 0

Doubting Lyle

Oct 15, 2020
suburb of Chicago, IL
✟8,223.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Welcome Lyle. I am sure you look great as you are . God bless you❤️
Thank you for the welcome. Here's the thing. I'm 62 years old and I will never "love" my looks. However, I finally have gotten to a place where I can love myself because I know I am so much more than my appearance. For example, I have a great sense of humor and I am capable of great empathy for people who are in emotional pain, to name two. Developing self-love is helping me to open up and reverse the me-centered energy to more outward-flowing energy and that is making a difference in my life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you for the welcome. Here's the thing. I'm 62 years old and I will never "love" my looks. However, I finally have gotten to a place where I can love myself because I know I am so much more than my appearance. For example, I have a great sense of humor and I am capable of great empathy for people who are in emotional pain, to name two. Developing self-love is helping me to open up and reverse the me-centered energy to more outward-flowing energy and that is making a difference in my life.

Right on! Good for you :)

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Matthew 19:26 But Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

Blessings!

Upvote 0