Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So I have seen lately that Hell is getting redefined to not really be a place of torment but just the fact that since God is everywhere than it will be awful for non Christians and to them that will be Hell. I was surprised to learn that the idea of Hell that many Christians know has not always existed. I was taught that Hell was a real place so is it real or just a state of mind?

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So I have seen lately that Hell is getting redefined to not really be a place of torment but just the fact that since God is everywhere than it will be awful for non Christians and to them that will be Hell. I was surprised to learn that the idea of Hell that many Christians know has not always existed. I was taught that Hell was a real place so is it real or just a state of mind?
States of mind are real places. I have been in a few.
I think the place of torment exists, but it being an eternal fate sounds psychopathic.

Upvote 0

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
When Jesus describes it sure sounds real to me.

Upvote 0

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
States of mind are real places. I have been in a few.
I think the place of torment exists, but it being an eternal fate sounds psychopathic.
Psychopathic, or are we just underestimating the severity of sinning against an absolutely and infinitely holy God?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hell is the presence of God, this is why some who believe will have their works burned . because God is a consuming fire.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Psychopathic, or are we just underestimating the severity of sinning against an absolutely and infinitely holy God?
Psychopathic in the light of a God who is agape.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Based on what? Your opinion?
I have no interest in arguing with you.
I said "agape", so let's pretend we understand it's obvious my opinion is based on my understanding (opinion) of agape.

"Opinion" is not a dirty word.
You'll have to find another word if you want to push a Drama Button.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I have no interest in arguing with you.
I said "agape", so let's pretend we understand it's obvious my opinion is based on my understanding (opinion) of agape.

"Opinion" is not a dirty word.
Didn't say it was a dirty word. Sometimes we get carried away in our opinions and extrapolations when the Bible gives us straight answers.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And infinitely vengeful, and infinitely merciless, and , infinitely vindictive? hmmmm

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Didn't say it was a dirty word. Sometimes we get carried away in our opinions and extrapolations when the Bible gives us straight answers.
But more often when we take the "straight answers" of the Bible and embroider them with our own presuppositions. What did our Lord say about hell, as opposed to what our doctrines teach about it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
What do you mean with 'real place'? Must it really be a material realm? Is heaven a material realm inhabited by God?

Is not a new Earth created at the end of days? Where does it say a Hell is created?

I think the problem is that people think in a temporal earthlike perspective of trans-temporal eternal realities and then get confused with ideas like 'real place' - as if I could build a ship and travel to hell. We kindle the fires of hell ourselves through our sins.

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

ClothedInGrace

Soli Deo Gloria
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2015
✟50,101.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Revelation 20:14-15
Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

Hell is an actual lake of fire; if it was the presence of God then I think the scriptures would say this, would they not?

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

Hell is an actual lake of fire; if it was the presence of God then I think the scriptures would say this, would they not?
Just like the trinity is articulated?
;)

Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

:thumbsup:Agreed. Pretty clear to me at least that it's not a metaphor. Just because it's in Revelations doesn't mean it's symbolic, some verses are, some aren't.

Reactions: topcare
Upvote 0