provincial
✟763,213.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I feel better when I do adhere to the commandments but I'm learning now there's nothing I can do to be pleasing to God other than be with under Jesus' sacrifice.

Right now I'm at work with some one who doesn't have a clue what she's doing and she shouldn't be working here as far as I'm concerned. This makes me angry and I've lost my patience and refuse to answer her (frankly) obvious questions.

But isn't this irritability a sin? Yes. If I stopped it, would that please God? Perhaps. But if I stopped it by forcing myself to act in a way that is inconsistent with how my heart really is at this moment, would God be happy about that? Or would he view it as me artificially trying to please him?

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Awarenessofsin. God is Love, and God wants loving sons and daughters. What is sin? Everything which we wish or want, which God does NOT WANT. In Matthew22:35-40: Jesus tells us:" The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second Commandment is like it: love your neighbour as thyself." Verse 40 tells us: on these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.
The Bible tells us: Give up all unloving wishes and wants, remember that God is Love and that God wants loving sons and daughters. (All that has no love, is unworthy of God and the followers of Christ) Jesus died for us, that we might LIVE. Let Jesus lead us back to God, and start loving one another. All we know and meet, are our neighbour. I say this with love, Awarenessofsin. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What? you mean you are curious to know the details?
Pass... :)
Are the details so important though? We are all sinful to varying degrees. We are all sinners.

Only you know if you are a sinner. You have no proof anyone else is not following God. When you "reveal details" only you know if you are telling the truth.

I have no way of knowing your sins.
You may be kissing your wife, or your sister, or the neighbor's wife.
Only you know what sin is.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
If I may, we all have the same feeling, and it's why we drink at least a little bit.
For strength, and not for drunkenness, you understand.
The tone of your posts suggests you are under the influence. I suggest you sober up before posting next time.

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟78,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I did some pretty irresponsible things in my youth and early adult life. Things I am not proud of now. The thing is, at the time, I didn't think it was such a big deal. If you move in secular circles, a lot of things become pretty loose. Excitement and pleasure become your false Gods. And of course looking cool. (not that I really achieved "cool" anyway :) ) Just enjoy your life mate. No worries!
Now I've started to take God, Christianity and life after death more seriously. For over a year now. The more I work on my relationship with the divine, the more I realise how sinful I was. Am I becoming holier than thou? Too serious?
I try to have the same approach to myself as I should to others. That is, hate the sin and forgive the sinner. Still, as time goes by, those sins seem worse and worse. My awareness of those sins becomes heightened more and more.
I can see how some people go from one extreme to the other. Too sinful to too holy. I feel I have to watch I don't become an uptight prig.
The closer you come to God, the more horrified you are at your previous lifestyle/ sin. Don't worry about it, rejoice!

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟328,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why don't you start a thread on the abundant life and see where it goes?
It has been a couple of decades since this term was popular.

Maybe when someone is talking about the abundant life they mesn material riches and blessings, i however was using it to describe being blessed in a psychosocial way, not material, because what good is a yacht if you are too miserable mentally to enjoy it.

Upvote 0

HeLeadethMe

Apr 27, 2017
Toronto
✟32,827.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul wrote that if we would judge ourselves we would not be judged with the world 1Corinthians 11:13 . Our walk with the Lord should be making us more humble as we go along, rather than holier than thou. As He reveals our sin, and we become more aware of them........when it results in repentance it makes us more humble in relation to God as well as our fellow man. We all want to think we are loveable and righteous, but we learn as we go along the truth of what it means where it says there is no one righteous, no not one....as well as that our righteousness is as filthy rags to God....and that He loves us truly in spite of ourselves, not because of ourselves. And we learn what a Rock that is to stand upon in comparison to the flimsiness of believing we are loved because of ourselves.

After receiving Christ, I repented for the sin of unbelief, but didn't really know what sin was until it began to be unfolded to me with God's help through the scriptures. From time to time sins of the past would come to mind during my years as a believer and my emotions towards it have ranged from sorrowful to shame to being appalled at myself.......and I would repent to God and receive His forgiveness through Christ. A couple of times I apologized to people I had sinned against in the past and received their forgiveness as well, this was also humbling, as well as cleared the air in my relationships with them. I can empathize and have compassion towards those who are living a life of sin, because I understand the deceptive nature of sin, I once was a sinner too, going my own way, and have not forgotten what it was like, and so do not condemn anyone......and I also can certainly identify with the need to repent and be absolved by the Lord as believers. But it is wonderful to come into a living relationship with the Father through His Son, our High Priest, that we speak to Him and unburden ourselves to Him and He speaks to us what we need through His word, whether forgiveness, comfort or guidance, as well as rebuking or reproving sins...... which I have been trying to learn to not faint under, knowing that His rebuke causes bondages and strongholds to weaken their hold, to our help. Jesus' rebuke of the Pharisees was that they studied the scriptures so hard which testify ABOUT Him, but that they refused to COME to HIM that they might have Life. Just think, He said that for their good, not to relieve Himself of resentment or malice.

It says in the epistle to confess our faults to one another, this is a spiritual weapon that helps in bringing an area of darkness into the light and is also a way of nailing ourselves, nailing our sin to the cross that it die, as well as seeking prayer and counsel of one another, the priesthood of all believers, in simplicity. Choose wisely who you talk to about your issues though, I have experienced a range of being told I was being too hard on myself., all the way to more than once having had my confession tossed back in my face in public when someone was angry with me over a disagreement. But only forgive...and the Lord works even such things as that for our good, He is so true and faithful to His word.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
....and that He loves us truly in spite of ourselves, not because of ourselves. And we learn what a Rock that is to stand upon in comparison to the flimsiness of believing we are loved because of ourselves.
this is a hard concept for me to grasp. Unconditional love I mean. Surely we are loved for our uniqueness though. Yours, mine and everyone's.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I did some pretty irresponsible things in my youth and early adult life. Things I am not proud of now. The thing is, at the time, I didn't think it was such a big deal. If you move in secular circles, a lot of things become pretty loose. Excitement and pleasure become your false Gods. And of course looking cool. (not that I really achieved "cool" anyway :) ) Just enjoy your life mate. No worries!
Now I've started to take God, Christianity and life after death more seriously. For over a year now. The more I work on my relationship with the divine, the more I realise how sinful I was. Am I becoming holier than thou? Too serious?
I try to have the same approach to myself as I should to others. That is, hate the sin and forgive the sinner. Still, as time goes by, those sins seem worse and worse. My awareness of those sins becomes heightened more and more.
I can see how some people go from one extreme to the other. Too sinful to too holy. I feel I have to watch I don't become an uptight prig.

One thing about realizing how much we have sinned is that it's very humbling, and when folks like you and I think on Him forgiving even our own level of sins, it makes us profoundly grateful for His grace. (We are grateful like the Prodigal Son.)

Thinking on this amazing grace helps me feel so grateful, that it makes me love Him more, and that's a central part of doing the Greatest Commandment more fully, from the heart also. It's invaluable to me to consider what He has done for me. When I do the greatest commandment as fully as I can, suddenly all other things He told us to do are much easier.

Since He said, "Do not judge", we are not to judge others as people, as persons, and we can think of this as a straight out command. He warns us of the huge consequences of disobeying this command -- that we will be judged by the measure by which we have judged others.

Because of that warning, and of my need for graceful forgiveness from Him, I feel a strong need to obey Him, and to refrain from judging others, and so I felt a need to pray that even just traces of the habit of being critical from my past, which I had not removed because I'm not strong enough to undo all traces of the old habit by my own will alone, be removed from me. Prayer done as He said works.

Last edited:
Reactions: FoundInGrace
Upvote 0

HeLeadethMe

Apr 27, 2017
Toronto
✟32,827.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
this is a hard concept for me to grasp. Unconditional love I mean. Surely we are loved for our uniqueness though. Yours, mine and everyone's.

This is all about humbling the pride of man and magnifying, glorifying, our Maker. We are loved because of who HE is, not because of who we are...........because His word says what is man that God is mindful of us. (That's the Lord saying in the nicest way possible, that man is nothing. ;) ) And I would like to point out, as far as I know, that the bible does not anywhere say that we are loved because of our unique attributes, it simply does not say or indicate that anywhere......that springs only from man's reasoning and false hope. Our ONLY hope is in Christ, His atonement, His blood poured out that we be sprinkled clean with it, His Spirit and nature coming to live in us, that is the only thing that sanctifies us and make us holy........it is not of our selves that no man may boast, wrote Paul.

It is only because of the greatness of His love and mercy that He sent His Son to die in our place, because of HIS generosity and goodness that He is mindful of these mere pots and vessels that we are........it is nothing inherent in we ourselves. Because brother.........all we are or were is sinners....and bible says the soul that sins shall die..........it is only by His Spirit of adoption, received in Christ that we become His children.........by adoption only, by His will alone, not because we are inherently born God-like, or good enough or have unique attributes. All we really know to do is sin uniquely or be self righteous in our own unique ways. Receive and believe what the bible says when He says all our righteousness is as filthy rags to God.......and He will begin to give understanding of that. We need the righteousness that comes only through Jesus Christ, His Spirit and nature taking up residence within us when we come to faith in Him. it is by the Spirit, by faith, in the spirit......we enter His kingdom, which is a kingdom in the spirit, not of this world and carnal fallen nature.

Upvote 0

HeLeadethMe

Apr 27, 2017
Toronto
✟32,827.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This is all about humbling the pride of man and magnifying, glorifying, our Maker. We are loved because of who HE is, not because of who we are...........because His word says what is man that God is mindful of us. (That's the Lord saying in the nicest way possible, that man is nothing. ;) ) And I would like to point out, as far as I know, that the bible does not anywhere say that we are loved because of our unique attributes, it simply does not say or indicate that anywhere......that springs only from man's reasoning and false hope. Our ONLY hope is in Christ, His atonement, His blood poured out that we be sprinkled clean with it, His Spirit and nature coming to live in us, that is the only thing that sanctifies us and make us holy........it is not of our selves that no man may boast, wrote Paul.

It is only because of the greatness of His love and mercy that He sent His Son to die in our place, because of HIS generosity and goodness that He is mindful of these mere pots and vessels that we are........it is nothing inherent in we ourselves. Because brother.........all we are or were is sinners....and bible says the soul that sins shall die..........it is only by His Spirit of adoption, received in Christ that we become His children.........by adoption only, by His will alone, not because we are inherently born God-like, or good enough or have unique attributes. All we really know to do is sin uniquely or be self righteous in our own unique ways. Receive and believe what the bible says when He says all our righteousness is as filthy rags to God.......and He will begin to give understanding of that. We need the righteousness that comes only through Jesus Christ, His Spirit and nature taking up residence within us when we come to faith in Him. it is by the Spirit, by faith, in the spirit......we enter His kingdom, which is a kingdom in the spirit, not of this world and carnal fallen nature.

Upvote 0

HeLeadethMe

Apr 27, 2017
Toronto
✟32,827.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Paul, it is all about humbling the pride of man (ye shall be as gods – Garden of Eden) and magnifying, glorifying, our Maker. We are loved because of who HE is, not because of who we are...........because His word says what is man that God is mindful of us. (That's the Lord saying in the nicest way possible, that man is nothing. ;) ) And I would like to point out, as far as I know, that the bible does not anywhere say that we are loved because of our unique attributes, it simply does not say or indicate that anywhere......this springs only from man's reasoning and false hope. Our ONLY hope is in Christ, His atonement, His blood poured out that we be sprinkled clean with it, His Spirit and nature coming to live in us, that is the only thing that sanctifies us and make us holy........it is not of our selves that no man may boast, wrote Paul.

It is only because of the greatness of His love and mercy that He sent His Son to die in our place, it is only because of HIS generosity and goodness that He is mindful of these mere pots and vessels that we are........it is nothing inherent in we ourselves. Because brother.........all we are or were is sinners....and bible says the soul that sins shall die..........it is only by His Spirit of adoption, received in Christ, that we become His children.........by adoption only, by His will alone, not because we are inherently born God-like, or good enough or our unique character. All we really know to do is sin uniquely or be self righteous in our own unique ways. Receive and believe what the bible says when He says all our righteousness is as filthy rags to God.......and He will begin to give understanding of that. We need the righteousness that comes only through Jesus Christ, His Spirit and nature taking up residence within us when we come to faith in Him. it is by the Spirit, by faith, in the spirit......we enter His kingdom, which is a kingdom in the spirit, not of this world and carnal fallen nature.

We don’t’ have to worry that these truths will hurt our self esteem………because actually what it does is sets us FREE from needing self esteem, so that now we stand upon the esteem and love of God……and this is who HE esteems………who trembles at His WORD…..says His word. May the Lord bless you my friend.

Upvote 0

HeLeadethMe

Apr 27, 2017
Toronto
✟32,827.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Paul, it is all about humbling the pride of man (ye shall be as gods – Garden of Eden) and magnifying, glorifying, our Maker. We are loved because of who HE is, not because of who we are...........because His word says what is man that God is mindful of us. (That's the Lord saying in the nicest way possible, that man is nothing. ;) ) And I would like to point out, as far as I know, that the bible does not anywhere say that we are loved because of our unique attributes, it simply does not say or indicate that anywhere......this springs only from man's reasoning and false hope. Our ONLY hope is in Christ, His atonement, His blood poured out that we be sprinkled clean with it, His Spirit and nature coming to live in us, that is the only thing that sanctifies us and make us holy........it is not of our selves that no man may boast, wrote Paul.

It is only because of the greatness of His love and mercy that He sent His Son to die in our place, it is only because of HIS generosity and goodness that He is mindful of these mere pots and vessels that we are........it is nothing inherent in we ourselves. Because brother.........all we are or were is sinners....and bible says the soul that sins shall die..........it is only by His Spirit of adoption, received in Christ, that we become His children.........by adoption only, by His will alone, not because we are inherently born God-like, or good enough or our unique character. All we really know to do is sin uniquely or be self righteous in our own unique ways. Receive and believe what the bible says when He says all our righteousness is as filthy rags to God.......and He will begin to give understanding of that. We need the righteousness that comes only through Jesus Christ, His Spirit and nature taking up residence within us when we come to faith in Him. it is by the Spirit, by faith, in the spirit......we enter His kingdom, which is a kingdom in the spirit, not of this world and carnal fallen nature.

We don’t’ have to worry that these truths will hurt our self esteem………because actually what it does is sets us FREE from needing self esteem, so that now we stand upon the esteem and love of God……and this is who HE esteems………who trembles at His WORD…..says His word. May the Lord bless you my friend.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I went through a process when i became a Christian of having dreams of things i did in my earlier life that i was not conscious about their damaging affect on others.. When i had the dreams i was made aware of how my words and actions affected others.. I would wake up and acknowledge my sin to God.. It was like a house cleaning process of things i needed to acknowledge..

Most people who know they are guilty of sinning usually don't end up being self righteous jerks.. But some people who get religious become like some ex-smokers i know.. They become fanatical anti-smoking activists who self righteously denigrate smokers for being pathetic and weak and forgetting that they where once smokers themselves..

So yeah it is best not to become a self righteous jerk with a superior attitude towards unbelievers... Anyone who suffers from that personality disorder really needs to take a long hard look at themselves and realize that God is not pleased with such an attitude..

• Agree
Reactions: HeLeadethMe
Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Know what you believe and why you believe it
Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I feel better when I do adhere to the commandments but I'm learning now there's nothing I can do to be pleasing to God other than be with under Jesus' sacrifice.

Right now I'm at work with some one who doesn't have a clue what she's doing and she shouldn't be working here as far as I'm concerned. This makes me angry and I've lost my patience and refuse to answer her (frankly) obvious questions.

But isn't this irritability a sin? Yes. If I stopped it, would that please God? Perhaps. But if I stopped it by forcing myself to act in a way that is inconsistent with how my heart really is at this moment, would God be happy about that? Or would he view it as me artificially trying to please him?

Help her, we have enough anger in this world.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟290,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Still, as time goes by, those sins seem worse and worse. My awareness of those sins becomes heightened more and more.

Isn't that a good thing? But as your awareness of them increases, so too does your awareness of the mercy that was granted.

Reactions: FoundInGrace
Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Since you seem to be new to this, I've studied the bible 35 years.
1 Timothy chapter 1 verse7, 8
They want to be teachers of the law but they do not know what they are talking about or what they so confidently affirm.
We know that the law is good if one uses it properly.
Galatians chapter 3 verses 24,25,23
So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law. Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is like not resisting evil. It is like helping a stranger in need. It is like asking God what to do next.

As a person learns to be rid of sinful habits, there is less of a need to confess to having done them. One may confess the righteousness of Jesus instead. Talking about Jesus breaking bread for the 5,000 or for the 7,000. Jesus healing the lame, deaf/mute, blind, leprous, epileptic, feverish, withered arm, issue of blood, etc. About Jesus instructing people to be gentle and meek, not lazy and weak.

Upvote 0