Ga
✟39,955.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Overzealousness in anything can be annoying though. Someone recommending a book or movie" "oh you gotta read or see it. It changed my life!"
Yeah and even more so in Christians who think they're HOLY HEROES..But yeah overzealousness in anything can annoy you no end.I know what you're saying.

Upvote 0

SpiritofaDove

Site Supporter
May 14, 2017
USA
✟98,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I believe that as the Holy Spirit moves in you more, as a new Christian, you will be moved to confess the sins of your past a lot more at first. Your eyes are opened and now you see, as you said, how sinful those actions were. Let the Spirit move you to confess and get all that out of you. It's all part of making you a brand new person. Learn from your sins of the past, use that wisdom, to become more prudent.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I did some pretty irresponsible things in my youth and early adult life. Things I am not proud of now. The thing is, at the time, I didn't think it was such a big deal. If you move in secular circles, a lot of things become pretty loose. Excitement and pleasure become your false Gods. And of course looking cool. (not that I really achieved "cool" anyway :) ) Just enjoy your life mate. No worries!
Now I've started to take God, Christianity and life after death more seriously. For over a year now. The more I work on my relationship with the divine, the more I realise how sinful I was. Am I becoming holier than thou? Too serious?
I try to have the same approach to myself as I should to others. That is, hate the sin and forgive the sinner. Still, as time goes by, those sins seem worse and worse. My awareness of those sins becomes heightened more and more.
I can see how some people go from one extreme to the other. Too sinful to too holy. I feel I have to watch I don't become an uptight prig.

Not at all... the closer to the light we get, the more darkness will be exposed. Realizing the depth of one's sins is a mark of closeness to what is holy, to He who is Holy.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I believe that as the Holy Spirit moves in you more, as a new Christian, you will be moved to confess the sins of your past a lot more at first. Your eyes are opened and now you see, as you said, how sinful those actions were. Let the Spirit move you to confess and get all that out of you. It's all part of making you a brand new person. Learn from your sins of the past, use that wisdom, to become more prudent.
Thanks. As I said, I attended Confession for those sins a number times already. In the Pope's Year of Mercy I might add. I think the flashbacks I get now, are good reminders to keep me on the straight and narrow. I screwed up. How can I possibly judge someone else for doing the same.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Not at all... the closer to the light we get, the more darkness will be exposed. Realizing the depth of one's sins is a mark of closeness to what is holy, to He who is Holy.
I'm hoping you're right BTS. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Hall

God is good
Jun 17, 2016
Colorado
✟30,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess what I was trying to ask is:
"Is an increasing and heightened awareness of sin, a sign that I am becoming a better Christian, or a sign I am becoming too proud?'
I think the more sin becomes apparent to us, the closer we are to God, we just have to be careful to not judge others of their sins and at the same time be aware of them to not get caught up in them ourselves.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I think the more sin becomes apparent to us, the closer we are to God, we just have to be careful to not judge others of their sins and at the same time be aware of them to not get caught up in them ourselves.
That's the answer. Let's pin this post of yours up somewhere. :)

Reactions: Hall
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I guess what I was trying to ask is:
"Is an increasing and heightened awareness of sin, a sign that I am becoming a better Christian, or a sign I am becoming too proud?'

With you...better.

With some here/anywhere, much worse as in proud, "only I know the truth" type people, with other problems as well.

It's very easy to spot the genuine and the non genuine.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

the old scribe

old scribe
Site Supporter
May 13, 2017
Arlington, TX
✟89,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I did some pretty irresponsible things in my youth and early adult life. Things I am not proud of now. The thing is, at the time, I didn't think it was such a big deal. If you move in secular circles, a lot of things become pretty loose. Excitement and pleasure become your false Gods. And of course looking cool. (not that I really achieved "cool" anyway :) ) Just enjoy your life mate. No worries!
Now I've started to take God, Christianity and life after death more seriously. For over a year now. The more I work on my relationship with the divine, the more I realise how sinful I was. Am I becoming holier than thou? Too serious?
I try to have the same approach to myself as I should to others. That is, hate the sin and forgive the sinner. Still, as time goes by, those sins seem worse and worse. My awareness of those sins becomes heightened more and more.
I can see how some people go from one extreme to the other. Too sinful to too holy. I feel I have to watch I don't become an uptight prig.

Christian seeker, reveals too much about your struggle. Do you seem to continue to think the divine plan of redemption is about you? It is not!

Sin - I am the expert on this subject. Isaiah was by all accounts one of the most spiritual and godly to ever live. Yet he said when in the presence of the LORD, “Woe is me, for I am ruined! Because I am a man of unclean lips, And I live among a people of unclean lips; For my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts.”

Sin is not an incidental choice. It is who I am, unworthy and unloveable. I shudder with each thought of mine, and the greater is my awareness of the HOLY YHWH the more violent is my shudder and the greater is my gratitude for the cross.

What YHWH is doing is not about me being holy or forgiven, it is about who YHWH is in His demonstration of forgiving this sinner! My shuddering and shame ceases only while He touches me. His touch heals my brokenness. Divine redemption is for the glory of YHWH! Praise him.

How could I ever condemn another when I shudder if He is not touching me? I did not seek - He sought me - over and over and over again - everyday He finds me!

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: Pilgrim
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Christian seeker, reveals too much about your struggle. Do you seem to continue to think the divine plan of redemption is about you? It is not!

Sin - I am the expert on this subject. Isaiah was by all accounts one of the most spiritual and godly to ever live. Yet he said when in the presence of the LORD, “Woe is me, for I am ruined! Because I am a man of unclean lips, And I live among a people of unclean lips; For my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts.”

Sin is not an incidental choice. It is who I am, unworthy and unloveable. I shudder with each thought of mine, and the greater is my awareness of the HOLY YHWH the more violent is my shudder and the greater is my gratitude for the cross.

What YHWH is doing is not about me being holy or forgiven, it is about who YHWH is in His demonstration of forgiving this sinner! My shuddering and shame ceases only while He touches me. His touch heals my brokenness. Divine redemption is for the glory of YHWH! Praise him.
OK, OK, I'm a narcissist! I'm sorry. that's my real sin, isnt it. :)

• Haha
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
With you...better.

With some here/anywhere, much worse as in proud, "only I know the truth" type people, with other problems as well.

It's very easy to spot the genuine and the non genuine.
Thanks. I'll take compliments like this when I can get them. Makes up for the ones who see me as Satan in disguise. :)

Upvote 0

the old scribe

old scribe
Site Supporter
May 13, 2017
Arlington, TX
✟89,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is a delicate balance to live in the world and at the same time not be part of it. And it is hard to love someone as a person and at the same time not love their sins. In my case, it was learning how to humble myself that made life easier in this fallen world, and to also remember that God had forgiven me when I was caught up in my sinful life, meaning I can do the same for others. So now when I see or talk to someone caught up in the world, I try to remember that it's the way I used to be and that there is a chance for everyone. You never know how someone's future will turn out. But I believe that learning how to humble ourselves is the key to not become a Holier than thou person. I'm not saying that you are because you don't seem like it from some of your posts I've read, but that is how I used to be, and yes I went through a Holier than thou phase lol.

Let me see if I can say what you said figuratively?

When I was young I knew I was wheat.
All the sprigs around me looked like tares.
As wheat, I thought I was holier than the tares.
Now I am mature and the grain has formed.
Around me, most of those tares turned out to be wheat.
Wow! Am I surprised!
It is a lesson to make one humble.

Upvote 0

the old scribe

old scribe
Site Supporter
May 13, 2017
Arlington, TX
✟89,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OK, OK, I'm a narcissist! I'm sorry. that's my real sin, isnt it. :)

I suspect that is why there is "Love thy neighbor as they self."
Is the only way any of us who are privileged by being in the blessed economies of the world might escape narcissism is by degrees - being a lesser degree than our neighbors? Avoiding narcissism is difficult for those extremely blessed.
Gratitude should never leave our lips.

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: Pilgrim
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

Wow! Am I surprised!
Sorry did I spoil your day?

Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Good blog. The key word in this should be "balance". Not too far one way or the other.

Reactions: Hall
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
  • Haha
Reactions: SaintNick
Upvote 0

Hall

God is good
Jun 17, 2016
Colorado
✟30,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Wow! Am I surprised!
I like that, well said.

Upvote 0