Hebrew Unicode Gospel of John

Nazaroo

Joseph is still alive! (Gen 45.26)
Dec 5, 2005
clinging to Jesus sandalstrap
✟10,730.00
Faith
Christian
I thought I should repost this here, since the MJ community might find this of most value:

We've put up the Gospel of John in Hebrew (unicode) online so people can use it to study their Hebrew translating skills and enjoy the Word in the native language of Jesus.

It is easy to read, has an embedded font and should work in most browsers. Only some of the navigation links seem non-operative in Firefox...

If you have Firefox, you can also adjust the Font Size by holding down the control-key and scrolling your mouse-wheel.

We have done a few passages interlinear, but this is a slow job.

Meanwhile, we are also going to try to upload Luke in this format for easy browsing.

Let us know what you think!

Hebrew Gospel of John <-- Click Here!

Peace,
Nazaroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zion
Is there anyway you could get a script to line up the vowels for easier reading? Other than that Thank you and keep up the good work!

Could be several reasons why your vowels aren't aligned:

(1) You are not running a Windows Operating system. Perhaps you have a MAC or some other computer. A MAC should work (I think it comes with Safari browser) but you may have to configure your OSX or Browser to display the webpage fonts correctly. Someone else has done so successfully so I know it can be done.
MACs come with ARIAL Hebrew and CORSIVA Hebrew UNICODE fonts (from Adobe?), and should display the pages using those fonts.

(2) You are running a version of Linux. Linux supports Hebrew fonts but you have to get instructions on how to install and activate Hebrew fonts and support. Linux doesn't support the .eot font embedding that I used for those pages. Perhaps it can, but I don't know about that. Consult the forum for the version of Linux that you are using.

(3) Your Operating System doesn't support Unicode (eg. Win 98/SE/ME). There may be patches or extra free fonts you can download and install, such as TITUS Cyberbit Basic, Code2000, Ezra SIL (SR), etc. Then either upgrade your IE browser to IE6, or install Mozilla Firefox (see below).

(4) Your Operating System doesn't have a default Unicode Font (e.g. Arial MS, or Times New Roman). Win2000 only has a couple of Unicode fonts included, and I think they are Microsoft Updatesonline or part of one of the service packs.

(5) You haven't got or aren't using an up-to-date or compatible browser. (e.g. an old version of Firefox/Mozilla/Safari etc.) Upload the latest version of your favourite browser.
If you have IE6 DON'T upgrade to IE7. IE6 works.

(6) You haven't configured your browser properly to read and display UNICODE.

For IE6 for instance, go to the TOOLS pulldown menu and select Internet Options at the bottom. A Popup Dialogue box appears. On the first GENERAL 'Tab' (layer) near the bottom you'll see a button "Fonts", so click that. A new box opens and you need to select NEW TIMES ROMAN, ARIAL, (or TITUS Cyberbit Basic / code2000 if you've installed them) or some other UNICODE FONT for your default WEB PAGE FONT. (the other font selection doesn't matter). It goes without saying that you need to have at least one UNICODE FONT installed. Windows2000 etc. comes with a few.

In Mozilla Firefox the action is similar: TOOLS Pulldown menu opens Dialog Box: Choose Times New Roman, Arial, Palatino Linotype, or some other UNICODE font that has a good Hebrew characterset. You may have to click on the 'Advanced' button to fix one other thing: the option "Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of my selections above" THIS BOX MUST BE CHECKED TO ALLOW THE HEBREW FONT I have specified (FrankRuehl).

Then you should be good to go.

Please post again, tell me what OS and browser you are using, and let me know if you are having problems with
vowels,
Cantor marks, or
the dreaded "dotted Lamed"...

I found that only TITUS Cyberbit Basic could handle the vowels in IE6, as a default webfont,
only TITUS Cyberbit Basic, Code2000, and Ezra could handle Cantor marks, and
only FrankRuehl (an MS font) handled the dreaded 'dotted lamed'.

For IE6 I have "TITUS Cyberbit Basic" as my default Webpage Font. You can download it free.

For Firefox 2.0 I have "Times New Roman" as the default webpage font. This doesn't display vowels as a default font, but with the box checked Firefox allows FrankRuehl to be used, which is a font on my system. This comes with win2000 (+service packs).

I am running Win2000 as an OS on at least one machine which works fine and displays Hebrew correctly in both browsers. I have International Language Support installed (Hebrew, Greek etc.).

In summary, you need a windows2000/XP/Vista and you need IE6 and at least one of Times New Roman, Arial, or Palatino Linotype UNICODE fonts set as your default webfont. You should also have the FrankRuehl font on your system. It is the only one I tested that handles the "dotted lamed".

On a windows2000/XP/Vista system you can also use Firefox 2.0 if you have a FrankRuehl font onboard and you check the 'allow' box (see above).

I don't know how to get Hebrew to display on a MAC but I'm told it can be done.

If you are running Linux you must download and install some Hebrew fonts, and install some kind of multilanguage support, but I don't know about that, and each version of Linux will be different in its support and functionality.

If anyone knows about MACs or Linux they can chime in and post here.

Peace,
Nazaroo

muffler dragon

Ineffable
Apr 7, 2004
✟24,396.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
We've put up the Gospel of John in Hebrew (unicode) online so people can use it to study their Hebrew translating skills and enjoy the Word in the native language of Jesus.

Would I be correct in presuming that this Hebrew translation is actually a translation of the English into Hebrew?

Upvote 0

Nazaroo

Dec 5, 2005
✟10,730.00
Faith
Christian
Would I be correct in presuming that this Hebrew translation is actually a translation of the English into Hebrew?
Actually, there are two basic translations out there, Delitzch's and Salkinson's. I think Salkinson's is what this is based on, although it probably reads more like a modern version, and would have been made under heavy influence of modern English translations.

Delitzch's translation is a purer Biblical Hebrew, and probably more accurate, however, I have been unable to locate a Unicode version of that translation, although the DAVAR software has it in their own special "HebrewUniversal" font, which is some kind of Truetype or Opentype font.

I'd like to see Delitzch and Salkinson side-by-side, another project on the backburner.

But this is just one of many fun translations out there, strongly based on I think Salkinson and reflecting modern Hebrew standards too, from one of the Bible societies.

Peace,
Nazaroo

Upvote 0

Nazaroo

Dec 5, 2005
✟10,730.00
Faith
Christian
Upvote 0

theguitardood

Aug 8, 2006
✟15,256.00
Faith
Baptist
New Delitzsch version of John:

we have formatted nicely and uploaded the complete Gospel of John according to Delitzsch's translation.

Many feel his is superior to Salkinson's as Delitzsch was a real master of Biblical Hebrew and his text has a truly authentic syntax and vocabulary.

Delitzsch's Translation of John <-- Click Here.

Peace,
Nazaroo

Cool!
Do you know if Delitzsch used Textus Receptus?

P.S.
I couldn't help but chuckle at the "&#1500;&#1488;&#1488;&#1488;&#1488;&#1488;&#1488;&#1488;&#1488;&#1488;&#1488;&#1488;&#1488;&#1488;&#1488;&#1488;&#1488;&#1488;&#1488;&#1488;&#1488;&#1488;&#1500;" at the bottom of the page. When I saw it, my mind said "Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal". ^_^

Upvote 0

Nazaroo

Dec 5, 2005
✟10,730.00
Faith
Christian
Delitzsch essentially followed the Textus Receptus. He attempted to use some textual critical insights (he wrote in the 1860s) but this was before the major mutilations were adopted by modern versions.

Prior to Delitzsch, a few German critics were experimenting with Lachmann's suggestions and Tischendorf was still constantly re-editing and publishing his own collations and text.

The final version of Delitzsch was updated to conform roughly to the KJV text (TR) by the time it was adopted by the Trinitarian Bible Society. Before this Salkinson's text was briefly used, but Delitzsch's superior rendering was quickly recognized.

Yes, the laaaaaaaaaaaa was a fun decorative idea.

Peace, Nazaroo

Upvote 0

Nazaroo

Dec 5, 2005
✟10,730.00
Faith
Christian
We've updated (and hopefully improved) the transliteration for JOhn 8:1-11 into English for 'easy' pronunciation.

It may seem a bit more complex, but it is now more consistent (we have a fairly concise transliteration table now).

We have still tended toward 'intelligible for English readers' rather than 'scholastically approved'.

John 8:1-11 Hebrew/English <-- Click here.

Capital letters are now used to indicate emphasis or accent in a word!.

Peace,
Nazaroo

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nazaroo

Dec 5, 2005
✟10,730.00
Faith
Christian
So...is this a translation from Koine Greek to English to Hebrew or straight from the Greek to the Hebrew?

Likewise...I'm assuming you're asserting that the native languge of Christ was Hebrew?
I am almost certain that Delitzsch, as a German-European, would have been translating directly from the Greek, probably one of the printed Received Texts (Erasmus, Elisivars, Stephens).

And yes, I believe Jesus was thoroughly bilingual, although he must have read aloud in the synagogues in Hebrew from the scrolls, and conversed in Hebrew/Aramaic while in Judaea.

On the other hand, when conversing with the Syro-Phoneacian Greek woman, the Roman centurion, or Pilate, he would have probably spoken Greek.

Peace,
Nazaroo

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi Nazaroo. How do you translate John 1:3,4 concerning the form of the greek word "ginomai" which appears to resemble the Hebrew word "Haya".
The greek translation is from the Tex-Rec though I use this Hebrew interlinear mainly for the Hebrew. Thanks.

http://www.scripture4all.org/

John 1:3 All-things thru Him became/egeneto <1096> (5633)
and apart-from Him became/egeneto <1096> (5633) not-yet one-thing which has become/gegonen <1096> (5754). 4 In Him life was and the Life was the Light of the men.

1096. ginomai a prolongation and middle voice form of a primary verb; to cause to be ("gen"-erate), i.e. (reflexively) to become (come into being), used with great latitude (literal, figurative, intensive, etc.):--

Genesis 1:2 And the Land/'erets she-became/hayah <01961> waste/vain/tohuw and empty/void/bohuw, and darkness/choshek on surface of deep/t@howm, and a spirit/ruwach of 'Elohiym brooding/rachaph over face/paniym of the waters/mayim
3 And 'Elohiym is saying, "he shall become/hayah <01961> Light" and he is becoming/hayah <01961> Light

01961 hayah {haw-yaw} a primitive root [compare 01933]; TWOT - 491; v
AV - was, come to pass, came, has been, were happened, become, pertained, better for thee; 75
1) to be, become, come to pass, exist, happen, fall out 1a) (Qal) 1a1)

Upvote 0

varsity

Nov 26, 2006
✟7,762.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
John 1:3 in Delitzsch reads:

Hakol = everything
nihyah = became, 3ms nifal past of hayah
`al-yado = by means of him
umibbali`alyadav = and apart from him
lo
nihyah = became
kol (with lo) = nothing, i.e. not all
asher = that
nihyah = became

Gen 1:2 reads:

Veha'aretz hayetah ... And the earth was ...

Hayetah is 3fs qal perfect of hayah. In summary, Delitzsch which is modern Hebrew uses the nifal in Jn 1:3, while the MT uses the qal in Gen 1:2.

Upvote 0

Nazaroo

Dec 5, 2005
✟10,730.00
Faith
Christian
Hi Nazaroo. How do you translate John 1:3,4 concerning the form of the greek word "ginomai" which appears to resemble the Hebrew word "Haya".
The greek translation is from the Tex-Rec though I use this Hebrew interlinear mainly for the Hebrew. Thanks.

http://www.scripture4all.org/

John 1:3 All-things thru Him became/egeneto <1096> (5633)
and apart-from Him became/egeneto <1096> (5633) not-yet one-thing which has become/gegonen <1096> (5754). 4 In Him life was and the Life was the Light of the men.

1096. ginomai a prolongation and middle voice form of a primary verb; to cause to be ("gen"-erate), i.e. (reflexively) to become (come into being), used with great latitude (literal, figurative, intensive, etc.):--

Genesis 1:2 And the Land/'erets she-became/hayah <01961> waste/vain/tohuw and empty/void/bohuw, and darkness/choshek on surface of deep/t@howm, and a spirit/ruwach of 'Elohiym brooding/rachaph over face/paniym of the waters/mayim
3 And 'Elohiym is saying, "he shall become/hayah <01961> Light" and he is becoming/hayah <01961> Light

01961 hayah {haw-yaw} a primitive root [compare 01933]; TWOT - 491; v
AV - was, come to pass, came, has been, were happened, become, pertained, better for thee; 75
1) to be, become, come to pass, exist, happen, fall out 1a) (Qal) 1a1)
Hi sorry about the delay in replying. I don't look in this forum as often as I do the Bible Study sections (on any board).

For me the Greek egeneto translates most comfortably into "it came to pass".

This expression will suit almost every context in which the verb is found, although the full variety of possible ways to say things in English will be impoverished.

For good (great) English, I still prefer the KJV after all these years. But I often like to work in a very 'literal' mode when analyzing doctrine or subtle historical points. Sometimes a careful look at the grammar can clarify a difficult passage.

For me egeneto = 'it came to pass'. (intransitive case)

With a predicate egeneto = 'became' (...something).

example: Through Him all things CAME TO PASS.... (intransitive)

And the Word BECAME flesh... (transitive)

I hope this helps.

As to the Delitzsch translation, I may have misled people when referring to his work as 'Biblical Hebrew'. My good friend and associate who is a better Hebraist than myself tells me I could be a lot more precise:

He characterizes Delitzsch as "Mishnaic Hebrew", not quite modern, and not truly (ancient) 'Biblical' Hebrew. Salkinson's translation, with its simplified lexicography is apparently more 'Biblical' in many places. Right now we are in the middle of a comparison/ word-study comparing several Hebrew translations of John, along with various minor changes made through several editions/publications of both works.

We are finding that neither translation is 'best' when it comes to accurately rendering the Greek. We may try to create a 'composite' translation soon which will reflect the most accurate translation from the Greek. You can imagine the work and time it is taking even to analyze just a handful of verses, through several languages.

At the same time, I am trying to get a Syriac version in Unicode up and working.

Keep praying for us.

Peace,
Nazaroo

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michael_SF

Sep 15, 2018
San Francisco
✟15,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nazaroo, I tried from two browsers to click on your link for Hebrew translation, but it keeps erring out. Is that link still good? I sometimes meet people from Israel and would love to give out a printed copy.

Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Theologian [Applied Theology]
Jul 1, 2015
Whippingham, Isle of Wight, England
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Nazaroo, I tried from two browsers to click on your link for Hebrew translation, but it keeps erring out. Is that link still good? I sometimes meet people from Israel and would love to give out a printed copy.

Given that the post above yours is 10 years out of date, you may not get a reply! You could Google ISA3 for translating Hebrew / Greek to English. The basic version is free - the Professional is paid for.

Last edited:
Upvote 0