Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OK, for the sake of argument, you have everything correct, you know everything there is to know about Jesus from the beginning to the end in perfect knowledge.

I on the other hand have a few things wrong.

But we are both right about the core belief, that Jesus is the Savior of all mankind, and we would die rather than deny this truth.

We both believe in Jesus, and we have both been baptized of the Spirit, and are saved. How long in heaven will it take for Jesus to set me straight on all the details?

First off----- it in not about me and what I supposedly know. It is about God's Holy Spirit who only leads me to truth, And when you say "I know everything about Christ", I humbly admit I do not, but in the questions of truly Believing in the True Christ versus Mormonism--the Holy Spirit has shown me the Mormonism is false.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Really, these are not actual translations??????? The KJV is not one of hundreds of translations of the bible?????

Looks like there is one that is even more desparate than I. Explain yourself?
Really? I meant actual translations. You must really be desperate.

You do realize that the original post compared KJV translation of the Bible to the NASB translation of the Bible. And you responded, was there any doctrinal changes or different gospel.

Well, I took several other translations of the Bible and showed you there was doctrinal changes.

It was certainly actual translations of the Bible. Not sure who is desparate?

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
First off----- it in not about me and what I supposedly know. It is about God's Holy Spirit who only leads me to truth, And when you say "I know everything about Christ", I humbly admit I do not, but in the questions of truly Believing in the True Christ versus Mormonism--the Holy Spirit has shown me the Mormonism is false.
I was responding to Hammster. See post 115.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Evidently you did not like MY answer.
Your answer was interesting, you humbly admit that you do not know everything about Jesus.
But what you do know comes from the Holy Spirit which is good.

What I know also comes from the Holy Spirit and that is good too.

You and all Christendom as well as members of the Church of Jesus Christ, all have one thing in common. We all believe that there is a Jesus Christ that laid down his life for us, and became our Savior. This the Holy Spirit has given to you and I, and it is good.

Whether the Church of Jesus Christ is true or not, whether the church you go to is the true church or not is irrelevent to the truth that Jesus is our Savior and died for us that we may have eternal life. We both believe that and it is a good thing to believe.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Really, these are not actual translations??????? The KJV is not one of hundreds of translations of the bible?????

Looks like there is one that is even more desparate than I. Explain yourself?
I did forget that you think the Joseph Smith Transition is legitimate, so you’d probably think that The Message is, too.

I’m thinking word for word translations, not dynamic equivalencies. So more like the NASB or ESV.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I did forget that you think the Joseph Smith Transition is legitimate, so you’d probably think that The Message is, too.

I’m thinking word for word translations, not dynamic equivalencies. So more like the NASB or ESV.

Interesting, thanks for the explanation. Are there any other translations that you think are worthy translations besides NASB and ESV? Are you willing to accept KJV? What others?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Interesting, thanks for the explanation. Are there any other translations that you think are worthy translations besides NASB and ESV? Are you willing to accept KJV? What others?
I have no problem with the KJV. My argument was that we don’t need the original autographs to ensure that we have an accurate translation.

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Please, you must think the entire world is stupid to think that the Isaiah Scroll, and the Masoretic
Text is certainly not a word for word perfect translation. Not Isaiah or any other fragment is word for word perfect. So rewrite that statement.

The Great Isaiah Scroll and the Masoretic Text | AHRC

I was not talking about a translation. I was talking about manuscripts.

You need only google 1QIsaiaha manuscript to read it in the Hebrew and compare with modern hebrew compilation based on textual criticism.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He already said that He has a resurrected body of flesh and bones which a spirit does not have.

flesh and bones and flesh and blood are figures of speech.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We don't have all of the texts including the original text but this we do know, Jesus Christ has a body of flesh and bones.

We have significant texts to know that what we have is correct.

How do you explain the thousands of changes in the BOM?

5,000 Changes to the Book of Mormon - | - Mormon Handbook
Some of the Many Changes in the Book of Mormon | CARM.org
Changes to Latter-day Scripture
Utah Lighthouse Ministry: Online Resources
Utah Lighthouse Ministry: Topical Index A-G

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
flesh and bones and flesh and blood are figures of speech.
(New Testament | Luke 24:39 - 43)

39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.
40 And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?
42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.
43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The text-critical and exegetical value of the Dead Sea Scrolls
google Dead Sea Scrolls Isaiah textual criticism

"The Dead Sea Scrolls indeed are holding up to their reputation after more than 65 years of research, and we will have to see whether this can be said of the latest discovery in the Judaean desert. This study demonstrated that some scrolls correspond to a large extent with the MT - 1QIsaa is an appropriate example." (The text-critical and exegetical value of the Dead Sea Scrolls by Johann Cook
Department of Ancient Studies, University of Stellenbosch, South Africa)

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"The Isaiah scrolls found at Qumran closed that gap to within 500 years of the original manuscript. Interestingly, when scholars compared the MT of Isaiah to the Isaiah scroll of Qumran, the correspondence was astounding. The texts from Qumran proved to be word-for-word identical to our standard Hebrew Bible in more than 95 percent of the text. The 5 percent of variation consisted primarily of obvious slips of the pen and spelling alterations (Archer, 1974, p. 25). Further, there were no major doctrinal differences between the accepted and Qumran texts (see Table 1 below). This forcibly demonstrated the accuracy with which scribes copied sacred texts, and bolstered our confidence in the Bible’s textual integrity (see Yamauchi, 1972, p. 130). The Dead Sea Scrolls have increased our confidence that faithful scribal transcription substantially has preserved the original content of Isaiah."
The Dead Sea Scrolls and Biblical Integrity

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jamesone5

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟97,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Your answer was interesting, you humbly admit that you do not know everything about Jesus.
But what you do know comes from the Holy Spirit which is good.

What I know also comes from the Holy Spirit and that is good too.

You and all Christendom as well as members of the Church of Jesus Christ, all have one thing in common. We all believe that there is a Jesus Christ that laid down his life for us, and became our Savior. This the Holy Spirit has given to you and I, and it is good.

Whether the Church of Jesus Christ is true or not, whether the church you go to is the true church or not is irrelevent to the truth that Jesus is our Savior and died for us that we may have eternal life. We both believe that and it is a good thing to believe.
It is very relevant---this supposed one True Chruch.

It all depends if a false prophet is leading you astray or not.--and in convincing you Jesus is A God, which He is not.

But you cannot seem to get it into your head that is why I left.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Through the years there have also been thousands of changes to the Bible, just look at all of the changes to the Wycliffe Bible:

"
As I said, Wycliffe did not translate from the original Greek and Hebrew. And as good as the Latin Vulgate was, there were severe shortcomings in its translation. For one thing, Latin does not have the definite article. That is a gift that the Greeks gave to Europe. But the article occurs in the Greek NT almost 20,000 times—understanding its use is vital for hundreds of passages. And yet, Wycliffe knew none of this, since he only used the Latin text as his base.

TRANSLATION
The Wycliffe Bible went through two editions—one in 1382 and in c. 1395, the second by Wycliffe’s assistant, John Purvey.11 And although Purvey’s revision was a significant improvement, one could hardly call either version a masterpiece of English prose. But the first edition was slavishly literal—even to the point of retaining the Latin word order when it made no sense in English!12 The Wycliffe Bible illustrates on every page that a ‘word-for-word’ translation is not necessarily an accurate translation, because the meaning of the original is not communicated clearly in this kind of rendering."

From: 1. From Wycliffe to King James (The Period of Challenge) | Bible.org

Most of the changes in the Book of Mormon were punctuation changes. These changes may have been problems with the typesetting. At any rate we have this relating to the Book of Mormon:

(Book of Mormon | Preface Title Page:2)

And now, if there are faults they are the mistakes of men; wherefore, condemn not the things of God, that ye may be found spotless at the judgment–seat of Christ.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not what I asked. Show me where the original Hebrew, Greek, and/or Aramaic are incorrect. All you've shown is that JS didn't like what his Bible said so he changed it to fit his theology.

Also, JS died before making up his bible. So, if he misheard god, he had no chance to correct his own mistakes.

"
Testing the Joseph Smith Translation

If we assume that Joseph Smith restored the text of the Bible to its original, pristine form through revelation / inspiration, as was his claim, should we expect the study of text criticism to confirm the accuracy of his work? Yes, for the following reasons:

1. The underlying assumption of textual criticism is that the original reading is preserved in the variants; therefore we would expect to find existing variant readings that confirm Joseph’s revisions.

2. Since we know the most common scribal errors were additions to the biblical text, Joseph’s restoration should be characterized by deletions of these inaccurate scribal additions.

3. Verses for which there are no variants are safely assumed to transmit the original wording as given by the New Testament writers. Therefore, Joseph should not have altered these verses in any way.
" Joseph Smith's "Inspired" Revisions to the King James Bible

The Inspired Version: Why isn’t it officially used today? – Mormonism Research Ministry

Joseph Smith's Revision of the Bible: Fraudulent, Pathologic, or Prophetic?
Philip L. Barlow
The Harvard Theological Review
Vol. 83, No. 1 (Jan., 1990), pp. 45-64

http://docshare01.docshare.tips/files/22337/223375982.pdf

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.