Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Believers go to heaven until Christ returns. We then return with Him with our resurrected bodies to begin life for eternity here on a renewed earth. Unbelievers also wait until that time, which includes the great judgement, where each person gives account of their lives.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When we die time as you now know it ceases to exist, we can sample a little bit of this when we sleep. For most of us when we sleep we don't have any real concept of time, so it seems like 8 hours can simply disappear. When we are dead our internal clocks also die, so the only thing we have to judge time will be gone.

I believe that when we die, we will awaken to the resurrection, and then on to our judgment. So for the dead it will seem like we close our eyes for the final time, to instantly to wake up to the resurrection. For us the transition will be seamless even if their was several thousand years in between..

I believe this is how it can be said that "today you will be with me in paradise" and at the same time "Be asleep" until the resurrection.. It's all a matter of perspective, whether you speaking from the point of view of the living or the POV of the Dead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
F

freeport

i believe in heaven and hell i believe you go there but not right after you die, ifou did why is there a judgement if youre already in hell/ also it says the dead in christ shall rise when jesus comes back why are they rising if there already in heaven? whatsure view

My view is these are details you do not "need to know", what is important is to hold to the teachings of Christ and in doing so you learn how those who are sinful need repentance... because their sins demand judgment.

I do not mean to be harsh with saying it is details you do not "need to know", but I am pointing out that such matters are very obscure in Scripture and there are endless debates on them -- but what is important is that the unbelieving will be judged unless they repent, and that is what we need to focus on now, in the here and now.

Sometimes God has us look into more obscure matters, but not very often.

Upvote 0

emperormar

Hep Cat Daddio!
Aug 3, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
✟8,057.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My view is these are details you do not "need to know", what is important is to hold to the teachings of Christ and in doing so you learn how those who are sinful need repentance... because their sins demand judgment.

I do not mean to be harsh with saying it is details you do not "need to know", but I am pointing out that such matters are very obscure in Scripture and there are endless debates on them -- but what is important is that the unbelieving will be judged unless they repent, and that is what we need to focus on now, in the here and now.

Sometimes God has us look into more obscure matters, but not very often.
This is the correct way of looking at it. Please read these words.

Upvote 0

ghs1994

Jul 1, 2005
Ohio
✟16,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i believe in heaven and hell i believe you go there but not right after you die, ifou did why is there a judgement if youre already in hell/ also it says the dead in christ shall rise when jesus comes back why are they rising if there already in heaven? whatsure view

2 Corinthians 5:1-10
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18

Read these passages and see if they help. In Revelation 20:11-15 there are two judgments that take place. One for the saved and one for the unsaved. This is the seperating of the wheat and chaff, the sheep and goats, etc.

Hell or Hades or Sheol, is the holding place of the dead. In the OT, hell was the holding place of all the dead, but there were two seperate sides of hell (Luke 16:19-31) - called torment and the other was comfort.

Although the OT saints were in comfort, they were still seperated from God because Jesus was the only One who could restore them to God because their sin had not been washed away until Jesus' death and resurrection. That is why you hear about Abraham in the passage of Luke being there w/ Lazarus.

In this present day, hell is the holding place of the spiritually dead. Jesus' resurrection brought the OT saints out of hell into the presence of God, which was the missing component they all longed for - to be present w/ the Lord.

That is my understanding. Some others may have a different view and that is ok. I'm am only trying to to establish for you what the Bible does say about the matter.

Upvote 0

scrofford

God Seeker
Dec 4, 2009
Marysville, Wa
✟8,009.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord the Bible says. For those who aren't Christians, they go to Hell. Hell is a holding place. It was never intended for man but for the Devil and his angles. When the final judgement comes, Hell will be cast into the Lake of Fire.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

capnator

Jan 20, 2006
Queensland the Sunshine state :)
✟8,820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The bible is very clear on this, we wait in the grave until Christ returns, with power and great glory. The Righteous dead are then ressurected and the living join them in them and go to heaven.

1 cor 15:51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed 52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

1 Thess 4:13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.

We don't have to be ignorant concerning how this works.

vs 16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17 Then we which are alive [and] remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

This has not happened yet! Will it be a secret? Judge for yourself... Matt16:27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

Consider that the glory of only 1 angel caused the soldiers at Christ's tomb to become as dead men, what will the glory of the Father and all the angels be like? I think we will know about it. Everyone will see it Rev 1:7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they [also] which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen

Reactions: heron
Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Didn't Jesus say "Today you will be with me in paradise" to the other person on the cross? That I reckon is the answer to the original post. The above texts can be adequately understood within this context, but this is not a section of the forum for doctrinal debate, so no further comment.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

Aaliyah

Sep 5, 2009
✟7,916.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Didn't Jesus say "Today you will be with me in paradise" to the other person on the cross? That I reckon is the answer to the original post. The above texts can be adequately understood within this context, but this is not a section of the forum for doctrinal debate, so no further comment.

John
NZ

Maybe Jesus was just trying to assure the man that he was saved, and not that he would be with him in paradise today, technically. Just a thought.

My mom and I were actually talking about this the other day. What I think is that we are unconscious until Jesus comes back and there is judgment day. At least that is how the Bible makes it seem. However, I really don't know. It is confusing because the Bible also seems to make several references that we will go straight to Heaven. It's confusing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

capnator

Jan 20, 2006
✟8,820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Today? We know that Jesus did not acend to heaven that day. He tells us so, That was on Friday, on Sunday He says,

John 20:17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and [to] my God, and your God.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
He actually said "in paradise'. That was where the Jewish people believed righteous people would go until the end times before coming back to this earth when Messiah came to rule the nations. The parable of Lazarus fitted in with their understanding in that he was obviously very conscious after his death. Since teh resurrection Christians have believed we temporarily go to be with Jesus. Paul said "to be with Jesus" referring to his possible death. But the Bible does not discuss this matter is great detail anyway. It's message is more about living this life than describing the next.

John
NZ

John
NZ

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear trustgod1111. When Jesus was hanging on the Cross next to the repentant thief, He told him " today you will be with me in Paradise." The Bible tells us when we leave our earthly body, we will be with Jesus. Knowing that our God loves us, and made us in His image, I believe we will live with God for eternity. Jesus also told us to love God with all our hearts, with all our souls, and with all our minds. Jesus also told us to REPENT, to exchange our selfish and wilful character into loving our neighbour, all others, friend or foe, AS we love ourselves. To be with God, we have to learn to love Him, and love each other selflessly and with no strings attached. We know that Heaven is God`s Kingdom, and God wants us to love Him and each other. There are men and women who are incapable of love, as Satan is also,incapable of love, and they will follow Satan to Hell, which is Satan`s Kingdom. God has given us free will to choose, we can either follow Jesus, He is the Way back to God, or we can follow Satan into Satan`s Kingdom, which is Hell. I say this humbly and with love, trustgod. Greetings from Emmy, sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

capnator

Jan 20, 2006
✟8,820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trustgod1111 I think you are right to question on this topic. It is illogical and I also think unscriptural to believe we go to heaven or hell upon death, whatever tradition dictates, the bible is the rule of faith.

It is obvious with the theif on the cross statement that He didn't mean today, because Jesus Himself tells us He didn't ascend to paradise that day, because He hadn't risen from the dead.

A few weird annomolies if indeed upon death we keep on living.

1. The bible refers to death as sleep.
2. Jesus returns with his reward and takes the righteous dead at the second coming.
3. Hell is prepared for the devil and his angels and takes place after the second coming. - So where do the wicked go?
4. Jesus Christ rose from the dead... literally came out of the tomb why? If he was somewhere else. Maybe we die, go to heaven or hell, then come back and jump in our bodies at the second coming, have our cases judged then recieve our reward and go back to heaven or hell. - to me this sounds quite odd. Why come back for the dead? If they are not dead.

Why does this matter. Because this is the foundation of spiritualism, all those people out there contacting the dead, worshiping saints/ spirits or getting a helping hand from their dead Grandma are getting lied to.

Don't get sucked in, the bible makes this one easy to understand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

capnator

Jan 20, 2006
✟8,820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let the bible explain listen to Peter in Acts 2 vs 29 Men [and] brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.

vs 34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,

Upvote 0