US
✟26,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi! I'm not a practicing Adventist but may be again soon.

Anyway, these are just the thoughts that came to me as I read your post. Ellen White said that the days were coming that meat and dairy would be less and less safe to eat. So, seeing how the vast majority of our meat and dairy is now factory farmed and filled with antibiotics, various hormones, and bovine leukemia, that may be transferable to humans especially children, it is a personal judgement call. Do you believe ingesting second hand antibiotics, hormones, etc. is an acceptable risk as someone whose body is not their own but God's? Is it good stewardship to eat things that may shorten your life and, according to very strong scientific evidence, increase your odds of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer? I may feel a certain way about this but I certainly can't answer these questions for you.

This issue would not be in the Bible directly because those issues didn't exist. Adventists were prewarned about these things and given guidance via Mrs. White. It relates to preserving our bodily health and as with anything it becomes a sin if you are convicted concerning it and don't follow through.

Very tangentially, I was recently interested in the Trim Healthy Mama diet. They are a low glycemic, high protein plan. The writers even go very briefly over why they choose clean meats. Anyway, some of the verses they use to support why they eat so much meat are Deuteronomy 32:13-14. According to the authors these verses show how God fed the Israelites with all the food groups including meats, fats, and dairy. However, IMO, they neglect to see the very next verses which to me point out the results.

Verse 15
But Jeshurun waxed fat, and kicked: Thou art waxed fat, thou art grown thick, thou art become sleek; Then he forsook God who made him, And lightly esteemed the Rock of his salvation.

The result makes perfect sense from an SDA view of the human person with mind, body, and spirit all affecting each other.

With Israel and with us God allows for certain things because we insist so badly that we can't do without them, even when they are not what He knows, as our designer and creator, are best for us. God started out giving them manna. That was obviously His ideal at that time but they complained. Eventually foods got added until you had the diet written about in Deut. 32:13, 14. I believe the dietary laws were to minimize the damage not the ideal.

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Mississippi
✟15,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"We know meat and animal products are acidic. Cancer cells and diseases feed on acidic blood"

That is scientific bogus. Oranges, tomatoes and most fruit are more acidic than meat/poultry. Eating acidic food doesn't make human blood acidic. Blood PH is maintained in a very narrow range through amazing physiological/systemic mechanisms. There aren't many things that change blood PH. The few that do are serious chronic disease like COPD, ketoacidosis in diabetics. People with cancer don't have acidic blood.

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Mississippi
✟15,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I esteem the Scriptures as ultimete aurhority. EGW writings do not trump the Bible. Paul wrote:
Romans 14:2-3
2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.
3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.

There is your answer. Paul says God received the eater and the noneater alike. And for the noneater is not to judge him who eateth.

As far as living a long life, forget it. I see so many 90+ SDA seniors without much brain function left, just laying in nursing homes waiting to die. My mother is 94. My sister visits her daily but Mom doesn't know or recognize anyone anymore. She can't read or paticipate in anything meaningful. No joy left in a pitiful form of life. A vegetarian diet her entire life gave her a healthy body without brain activity to function as a human? She is suffering. That is not life.

You want your body to outlive your brain? Be a "vegetable" , unable to remember anything? Not able to talk or comprehend language? Go ahead and eat to live a long life despite senile dementia, memory loss, and inability to experience joy, peace, love? I don't focus on eating to live a long life. When my time on earth is up, I pray that I go to my grave with a functioning brain to the end.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
I esteem the Scriptures as ultimete aurhority. EGW writings do not trump the Bible. Paul wrote:
2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.
3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.

There is your answer. Paul says God received the eater and the noneater alike. And for the noneater is not to judge him who eateth.

As far as living a long life, forget it. I see so many 90+ SDA seniors without much brain function left, just laying in nursing homes waiting to die. My mother is 94. My sister visits her daily but Mom doesn't know or recognize anyone anymore. She can't read or paticipate in anything meaningful. No joy left in a pitiful form of life. A vegetarian diet her entire life gave her a healthy body without brain activity to function as a human? She is suffering. That is not life.

You want your body to outlive your brain? Be a "vegetable" , unable to remember anything? Not able to talk or comprehend language? Go ahead and eat to live a long life despite senile dementia, memory loss, and inability to experience joy, peace, love? I don't focus on eating to live a long life. When my time on earth is up, I pray that I go to my grave with a functioning brain to the end.
Don't blame the vegetables.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I esteem the Scriptures as ultimete aurhority. EGW writings do not trump the Bible.

That is not where we differ.

Paul wrote:

does not give people freedom to eat poison and the issue of "eating vegetables only" was not an issue in the OT or the NT - apart from the 1 Cor 8 and 1 Cor 10 context where people were "eating vegetables only" to avoid eating meat offered to idols.

Both Jews and Gentiles ate meat as part of their "religion" but gentiles that had become Christians were nervous about eating meat at all as sold in the marketplace because they feared it had been offered to idols. As Paul notes in 1 Cor 8 and 10 the Jewish Christians paid almost no attention to that at all since they knew idols are merely rocks.

Context is clear.

(you seem to be "shooting from the hip" again without looking at the details in the subject)

As far as living a long life, forget it. I see so many 90+ SDA seniors without much brain function left,

Creative writing is so much fun - isn't it?

If you had taken the time to actually read the National Geographic article on this topic where Loma Linda is one of those 5 zones you will see that your statement above is totally refuted by National Geographic because "by definition" they required qualification in that category to be that the person has to be active and functioning normally.

5 “Blue Zones” Where the World’s Healthiest People Live

Your problem is that you "shoot from the hip" giving out whatever negative idea comes to mind at the time - instead of reading the material and paying attention to the details.

"With the help of the National Geographic Society, Buettner set out to locate places that not only had high concentrations of individuals over 100 years old, but also clusters of people who had grown old without health problems like heart disease, obesity, cancer, or diabetes. His findings—along with easy steps you can take to live more like these cultures—can be found in his book, The Blue Zones Solution."

LATimes also picked up that story
Why Loma Linda residents live longer than the rest of us: They treat the body like a temple
Active longer

At 100, Benita Welebir is chatty and observant. What's extraordinary about her longevity is that it's not. In Loma Linda, she's just another active old person.

One of her neighbors at the Linda Valley Villa is 101, another is 100, and several belong to the 95-plus club. After the morning exercise class, several residents take a walk outside; others gather in the common area of the senior apartment building. (According to census data, just 55,000 Americans reach 100; that's .02% of us.)

"I am extremely energetic, but I also believe in full rest. If you have full rest, you can go like a little speedster," Welebir says.

The mother of five says her legs are wearing out a bit. That may be, but she walks the halls at the 100-unit Linda Valley Villa half a mile at a time. She does her own hair.

Last edited:
Upvote 0