Christian
Marital Status
Married
For the 'hanging veiling' style of covering, I think most women that wear them
sew their own, as they are fairly simple. The Beachy style cap is much more
difficult to make. I do not know where you are, but the closest place to me
that I know of that carries them is in Lancaster, PA. I don't know Ohio very
well, but in areas with large Beachy communities, I suspect you will find
someone who makes coverings. Ask around at church...

Reactions: Dwarfette
Upvote 0

JourneyToPeace

His law is love and His gospel is peace
Sep 17, 2010
Canada
✟9,970.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I get mine from Rosa Mystica Mantilla & Veils. That's the one thing trad Catholics have in common with Anabaptists: headcoverings! :) Here are some pictures for you, from their website:

DSC01048.JPG.opt213x284o0,0s213x284.JPG

DSC00853.JPG.opt251x330o0,0s251x330.JPG

DSC01345.JPG.opt283x377o0,0s283x377.JPG

DSC01417.JPG.opt309x412o0,0s309x412.JPG

DSC01383.JPG.opt191x254o0,0s191x254.JPG

Pretty, eh? :)

Upvote 0

Jerushabelle

Oct 6, 2010
✟6,072.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I get mine from Rosa Mystica Mantilla & Veils. That's the one thing trad Catholics have in common with Anabaptists: headcoverings! :) Here are some pictures for you, from their website:

DSC01048.JPG.opt213x284o0,0s213x284.JPG

DSC00853.JPG.opt251x330o0,0s251x330.JPG

DSC01345.JPG.opt283x377o0,0s283x377.JPG

DSC01417.JPG.opt309x412o0,0s309x412.JPG

DSC01383.JPG.opt191x254o0,0s191x254.JPG

Pretty, eh? :)

I'm so glad to hear that Catholics are still doing this. When I was a girl, I went to Mass with many of my friends. Because of where I lived, we all came from differing backgrounds faithwise so we went to each other's churches and synagogues. It was great! I remember all of us having to cover our heads in the Mass. It stuck with me through the years and the more Scripture I read, the more I realized that this is appropriate behavior for women in church. What I wouldn't give to have that fellowship back that I had as a girl. We were just children who loved God and each other.

Upvote 0

Lullabies

Brittney :)
Oct 24, 2010
Wisconsin
✟15,160.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Those mantillas are absolutely beautiful.
This summer I'm making the commitment to start headcovering full time, I'm starting this summer so I'll have three months under my belt before starting school again.
Currently right now I only wear either a bun cover or a snood but when I get a bit more money I'd like to buy or make a few more.
Thanks for making this thread :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Migdala

Follower of Yeshua
May 7, 2010
USA
✟8,563.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I just started headcovering a few days ago. Over the last 3 years or so, many times when I was praying, I would get the urge to cover my head, but I never knew why. Then I started noticing other people doing it and I started studying 1 Corinthians 11. Most people believe that a woman's hair is her covering, but the Greek word is different, and it is clear that Paul is talking about 2 coverings-hair and another covering. Of course everyone here already knows that. :)

So a few nights ago, I prayed about it....I said..."God, is this something you want me to do? If you want me to do it, I will-just let me know...." Instantly, I felt the most incredible peace come over me, and an utter joy. I know without a doubt that God's Spirit was telling me that headcovering is something that God wants me to do now.

My beliefs about it (at least at this time) are different than those here. I am not Anabaptist though-I am Pentecostal/Nondenominational, and no one really covers in my church. I don't care though-if God tells me to do something, I'm gonna do it. :) But my beliefs on modesty are different I think, than those here....I believe in dressing in a way that is modest, and not drawing attention to ourselves-but I do not believe that we have to wear bonnets, no jewelry, etc. because I think that there is a thing as drawing attention to ourselves as being too modest, such as "look at me-I'm wearing a bonnet-I'm a better Christian, more modest, etc....." It can be taken to the extreme, and God looks at our motives in how we dress-whether it is wearing too much jewelry, attention drawing clothes, etc., or if it is dressing TOO modestly to draw attention to ourselves to make ourselves look better.

I do not mean to imply that anyone here does that, but I have talked to people who were doing exactly that. That's when it becomes legalism and under the Law, which none of us wants. We are to do this headcovering thing out of submission to our Lord because we know it is what He wants-not to make ourselves look better or think we are more spiritual than others.

I've had to seriously question my own motives when I decided to do this, and the only reason I've done it is because of the nudging of the Holy Spirit and how, when I prayed about it, I felt that instant peace and joy come over me, and I know that God wants me to do this.

With that being said-unless God leads me to do differently, I am wearing berets, hats, toboggans, scarves, snoods, etc. to match my clothes. I do not want to look like a Muslim at all, even though their coverings are beautiful. God wants me to cover my head for Him-not to show other people that I'm more spiritually mature than they are. I want Him to search my heart in this, and I want my motives to be pure, and not to draw attention to myself because I cover now, anymore than I want attention to my dress in the opposite manner if I was dressing too immodestly.

I do not want to be legalistic about it, and I struggle with that enough as it is-things are always either "black or white" with me-it's hard for me to see a middle gray area. lol

It's all about being covered for God, not for other people to notice me. To me, that's not modesty at all. So at this time anyway, I'm just dealing with any kind of covering I can find, as long as I am covering for Jesus, which He wants me to do. I bought a bunch of cute berets at a wholesale/retail store yesterday-I had asked God to help me find some coverings, and that's where He led me. :)

Also-where are some good videos on tying scarves? I have very thin, fine hair, and it is very hard to find scarves that stay on my head, even with lots of pins!

Thanks!

Upvote 0
C

CelticRose

I've covered for several years though being Quaker my motives are a little different to many who cover. The Spirit asked me to as I was speaking & praying in public & I have not been given leave to stop doing it! :) I believe there is a hidden blessing attached to the covering ~ one that affects the spiritual realms. It is pretty much unheard of where I live & I get lots of stares ~ especially as I am not also *dresses only*.

Upvote 0

DreamingLikeSarah0423

Feb 13, 2012
somewhere where I can hear children playing!
✟7,767.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I am enjoying reading this thread. I used to hear that a woman was ridiculed for not wearing a hat in the Catholic/Lutheran/Anglican church years ago and then people changed and now ripped jeans seems to be not a big deal. It wasn't a case of affordability in most cases, it's about a lack of respect. I thought I was crazy because I still thought it looked proper but have never said anything, not wanting to be told yet again that I was too old school. Many of my values seem very antequated in this modern society and that's hard to hear on a continual basis. So again....amazing thread!! :hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Migdala

Follower of Yeshua
May 7, 2010
USA
✟8,563.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Well, what is sad is that the Bible clearly tells women to do it...so why aren't they obeying what it says to do? Just because we have freedom in Christ does not mean that we can "pick and choose" which Bible verses to obey...we either love Christ and be "set apart" and obey what He says to do...or we follow the world and ignore Him if we don't like what He asks us to do.

A Muslim girl I work with asked me about it when I told her that I had just started covering....she said "Well, the Quran tells us we are to cover our heads, so we do it with no questions asked-and the Christian Bible says the same thing, but Christians don't do it, and they dress very immodestly...why? It is a shame!!!" I had no answer for her....:(

Upvote 0

DreamingLikeSarah0423

Feb 13, 2012
somewhere where I can hear children playing!
✟7,767.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Well, what is sad is that the Bible clearly tells women to do it...so why aren't they obeying what it says to do? Just because we have freedom in Christ does not mean that we can "pick and choose" which Bible verses to obey...we either love Christ and be "set apart" and obey what He says to do...or we follow the world and ignore Him if we don't like what He asks us to do.

A Muslim girl I work with asked me about it when I told her that I had just started covering....she said "Well, the Quran tells us we are to cover our heads, so we do it with no questions asked-and the Christian Bible says the same thing, but Christians don't do it, and they dress very immodestly...why? It is a shame!!!" I had no answer for her....:(

Well said!

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am independent Baptist, not Anabaptist, but I hope it's okay for me to post in this thread :)

I have been head covering off and on since last Spring. Sadly, I lost my way a bit over the summer and took the covering off. I started covering nearly full-time (I only remove my veil to bathe and when I go to sleep) about a month ago. God convicted me that I shouldn't take it so casually, that this was a serious commitment He was calling me to. I did ask my husband's permission first, since I cover mostly as symbolic of the headship order. It seemed counterproductive to be symbolizing the headship order if I wasn't obeying it by going against my husband's wishes.

We studied the Scriptures in 1 Corinthians 11 together and he had some confusion about where it says in verse 15 where it says a woman was given her long hair for a covering. It was interesting that it doesn't say our hair is given to us as a covering, rather for a covering. We studied the original Greek and decided that I should be wearing a literal fabric covering.

I wear a football style veil. I have different ones in pastel shades that I sew myself. I think it's similar to the pattern found in the Rod & Staff home economics book, "Sewing the Headship Veiling". I don't have a pattern, I just sort of went by pictures.

I occasionally get stares in public, but only once have I openly been made fun of. A teenage boy at the Goodwill kept elbowing his girlfriend to get her attention. When he did he pointed at me and they both laughed. Ah well. I'm the only person who covers at my church, which is awkward at times. Even being a very conservative church where most of the women do wear skirts and dresses, the headcovering is looked at funny.

A couple of the results from headcovering that have been very positive is that I tend to remember modesty in my speech and mannerisms when I'm covered. It's like it gives you pause, if that makes sense. The other is that my husband is even more tender and respectful toward me. I think it's because God is changing his heart and giving him more of an appreciation for modesty over worldly, lascivious dress.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
C

CelticRose

I have a friend who gives a most wonderful testimony on modest dress & the covering. She tells of a woman she very much admired spiritually give her testimony of how she came to Christ. She told how she was the worst of sinners & so in despair she was wandering a shopping mall contemplating suicide when she noticed a modestly dressed woman with a covering & thought to herself, "She looks like a woman who knows how to pray." To this other woman's eternal credit she took this complete stranger into a change room, explained the gospel & led her to salvation.

My friend declares she wants to "look like a woman who knows how to pray!" So she dresses modestly & covers.

Reactions: MrJim
Upvote 0