Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Oh yeah, put this on the back burner, then forgot about it. Well, since a new reply brought it back to life...

Essentially, I agree. The Scripture must be interpreted with a consistent hermeneutic.

I am not sure your "agree(ment)" matches what I said.

To repeat, here is what I said: "I do not believe He has the right to issue contradictory commands, at least without giving scrupulously detailed explanation and justification."

To give a few relevant examples, God does not have the right to say that in Christ there is no slave or free, no "male and female," and then elsewhere demand that wives submit and slaves obey, without good explanation for the contradiction.

In terms of hermeneutics, I'm not certain I would agree that Scripture should be interpreted with a single hermeneutic; it would depend on how it was defined and explained.

Well, this is something you're imposing. I can love my employer even though He is put above me, or love my children even though they are put below me, or consider us all equal heirs to the grace of God by virtue of our faith in Christ.

The single "law" for Xian behavior is "Love one another" or "Love your neighbor as yourself." The practical application of that is "Treat others as you wish others to treat you." I don't see how I am "imposing" anything.

As for the rest, I think it is sad that you apparently view your wife as either an employee or a child.

I think your interpretation here imposes upon the Scripture and is in actuality illogical. Class distinctions can exist while there is love. Christ is in submission to the Father and yet the Father loves the Son and the Son loves the Father,

I'm not big on the "h-word," but the idea that Christ's submission to the Father extended beyond the Incarnation is a heresy invented ex post facto by patriarchalists to justify subjugation of women.

Well, this is fine as long as the hermeneutic is consistent and that the given interpretation does not force any Scripture to be wrong or contradict the other.

It recognizes that some are subordinate to others, and that not all are universal.

I'm ex ELCA, didn't believe in the physical resurrection, believed homosexuality wasn't a sin...very liberal.

Ok. As I said, by the Wikipedia definition of Liberal Christianity, I am quite conservative.

Apart from the belief that the Scripture, as originally dictated, is inerrant than there is no point in having a conversation, because we can just pick and choose what we think is inerrant and what is in error, and religion merely becomes an invention in our own minds.

Was it through carelessness or dishonesty that you cherry-picked that part of my quote, and went on to fixate on only one portion of what you cherry-picked, and to mischaracterize it to boot?

Suppose we stipulate that the original mss. were inerrant. Which ones? The ones underlying the 66-book canon, the 72-book canon, the 84-book canon, or some other? The ones the KJV strives to convey, the ones the NKJV strives to convey, or the more eclectic text used by most other translations? Since the mss. are long gone, how much does its inerrancy really matter unless we also have inerrant transmission, inerrant selection of canon, and inerrant translation?

A "literal, as-is" interpretation ignores figures of speech and symbolism. More pertinently, it increases the conflict and contradiction between various passages of Scripture.

Of course you do, because you essentially pick and choose what really is Scripture and what isn't. This is the problem of liberal Christianity. There is no consistency at all in the application of hermeneutics. Everyone becomes to decider of what is Canon and what isn't.

Sure. We all decide what Canon we accept. We also decide how we define words. For instance, I linked to the Wikipedia article on Liberal Christianity, and said it only describes me with about 5% accuracy. However, by your definition -- whatever exactly it is -- I am apparently a "liberal." (FWIW, I am not permitted to post in the Liberal, "Whosoever Will May Come" board here at CF.)

Whoa, you just missed my whole point. I am not saying that context isn't important. However, those that regularly employ the "context" argument to say the Bible isn't saying what it clearly says make a practice of using incorrect Greek translations, incorrect history, and inconsistent hermeneutics (taking metaphorical things metaphorically, taking some literal things literally, taking other literal things metaphorically, taking other literal things as something completely different, etc.)

So with head coverings you get arguments from the Greek that are just wrong and historical arguments that are either wrong or way overly presumptuous based upon the evidence available. If anything the history which we actually have shows that Greek women sometimes covered their hair and sometimes did not and it was not scandalous either way. But this hsitory isn't really important, because Paul makes an argument appealing to creation, so his rationale isn't tied to "cultural context" because he offers a specific rationale that precedes culture itself.

Needless to say, I disagree. He refers to only one part of one version of the Creation story, because the whole of it would undermine his point. Even so, he softens his instructions by reminding that "the woman has authority over her own head," and that "in the Lord" man and woman are INTERdependent, and that man comes from woman just as originally woman came from man.

All of that suggests that the practice -- whatever it is -- was not intended to be universal.

Again, without invoking their actual arguments, I don't need to respond to "a bunch people agree." I have 1900 years of uniform Christian thought on the matter, but even that does not prove anything. We must appeal to the Scripture and when helpful in unveiling what the Scripture is talking about, tradition and history.

Suppose we agree that Scripture is inerrant. Where is it inerrantly stated that we must rely on "tradition and history," rather than on the work of linguists and New Testament scholars?

You have made your assertions about what was and was not practiced in various areas. The scholars I cited have made other assertions. As far as I'm concerned, there is no solid consensus on whether the passage referred to some kind of bonnets, scarves, full facial veils, or simply certain hair styles.

With no clarity on either the nature of the "head covering" nor its purpose, it is silly to suppose it to be a transcultural norm.

Yes, but you have noe vidence for 1 COr 14:34-45 being inauthentic. There is nothing that indicates so in the manuscript tradition ...

Um, I have a good bit of evidence, but I'm not even going to try to reproduce the relevant portions of Payne's book.

...and it applies to the context (people interrupting each other in the middle of giving prophecies.) SO, you're grasping at straws here. I can just make up that all sorts of stuff wasn't originally or should have been in the Bible, but with no evidence there is no reason to take me seriously.

I'm kind of coming around to the idea (suggested by Witherington, among others) that if authentic, it is most likely "mirror reading," where Paul is quoting the letter FROM Corinth, and refuting it. But we may be running a bit off track.

Again, argumentum ad populum is not a rationale.

Your usage of the term is itself fallacious. I am not citing the opinion of the Great Unwashed, but of experts in the field. If that is not valid, then I insist we also dismiss your invocation of "history and tradition," since that is in the same category.

I have a lot more great thinkers in my camp, even into the present such as RC Sproul.

So now argumentum ad populum is ok? Anyway, Sproul -- I know he's considered a good scholar, but I have trouble letting go of the fact that he characterized Arminians as "barely" saved.

I have provided my reasoning, you have failed to provide a consistent way of reading 1 Cor 11.

Did you read either the Welty article or the Payne article I linked in Post 16?

Good point. How do we know that the Lord's SUpper is not ad hoc?

We probably don't "know" it is not, but we can infer it from the fact that it was first found in the Gospels, which apart from Luke and Acts were not addressed to a particular person or group.

Paul starts verse 2 praising the audience for "holding firm" to "traditions." The Lord's Supper is a tradition that we continue today. Why? We understand that it is praiseworthy to hold to the tradition. Then, one one consistent hermenutical grounds to do we not apply this to head coverings, which is in the same chapter, which is actually where the discussion of "holding firm" to the "traditions" conversation begins, which is made clear to be the practice of every single Christian church of the Apostolic Age, which we know continued passed the Apostolic Age for almost 2,000 years. These are very convincing arguments and cannot simply be ignored as after thoughts on an ad hoc document, unless the Lord's Supper is an afterthought too that every single church just so happened to practice for almost 2,000 years too.

The stuff about "every single church" probably impresses me less than my alleged argumentum ad populum impresses you; IOW, for me, yes they *can* be mostly ignored. I'm more interested in the context. The chapter divisions can be rather arbitrary. At the moment, I can see a few possibilities, including that 11:1-2 actually belong with Ch. 10, or that the "head" stuff is a digression and the topic returns to food-related issues at v. 17, or that somehow the whole context is continuous (but I'd have to look at it a while to find a way for that to make sense to me).

There are non-faith topics that are binding on Christians. We know we are supposed to do the Lord's Supper. Not doing it is not a matter of salvation, but it is an inconsistent reading of the Scripture which can affect more important matters.

Then as I explicitly suggested elsewhere, and have hinted at a few times, we define words (in this case "binding") differently, such that productive communication may not be possible.

Yes, but Paul isn't appealing to culture ...

He appeals to various things, including "nature," which indicates "the nature of things," i.e. the common cultural practices.

and if we were to look at the history anyway, it doesn't really help the anti-head covering faction anyhow.

That depends on who is looking at the history. Some NT scholars disagree with your assessment. If there is disagreement as to what the text was talking about -- veils, scarves, long hair, tin foil hats, whatever -- then it's not feasible to try to obey it anyway.

The issue is simple. You believe in margin glosses and such and use these as justification of not believing stuff. If I want to deny the bodily resurrection of Christ, why can't I call that a margin gloss?

I believe in margin glosses where competent scholars believe they have occurred.

I get the impression you don't believe in ANY margin glosses, and therefore reject most modern translations (since very few include the Johannine Comma at all, and most note that the "long ending of Mark" is dubious, and that the placement of the "woman caught in adultery" pericope, if not its legitimacy per se, is questionable.

It's an intellectually cowardly argument, especially without any manuscript evidence to back it.

As I indicated earlier, I trust the conclusions of Fee and Payne on this more than I trust your assertions.

More importantly, your desire to obedient to God differs with mine. God want's my marriage to be a picture of Christ and the Church. He wants the way I submit to my employer, parents, or government to reflect the submission of Christ to the Father. I desire to take part in divine realities. You simply just don't care about them, because they contradict your unbiblical ethics.

To be accurate, your ethics based on your interpretation of Scripture differ from my ethics based on my interpretation of Scripture. We each base our ethics on interpretation. Some people are either too dim or too dishonest to admit that, and instead claim to just "follow the Bible."

Upvote 0

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
As Peter says Paul can be sometimes hard to understand. I think what he is saying in 1 Corinthians 11 is that women who have short hair while praying or prophesying should wear a head covering.

He further says that this is not a requirement for women with long hair as this is "for" (Greek = "anti" = in place of) a covering.

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

As Peter says Paul can be sometimes hard to understand. I think what he is saying in 1 Corinthians 11 is that women who have short hair while praying or prophesying should wear a head covering.

He further says that this is not a requirement for women with long hair as this is "for" (Greek = "anti" = in place of) a covering.

How long is long? How short is short? Paul says that if women do not have long hair they should have their heads shaved. I would call that short. Using that definition, then virtually no women then or now would ever find a need for covering their heads. If that is the case, why did Paul waste so much ink on the topic?

Upvote 0

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Paul says that if women do not have long hair they should have their heads shaved.

This is not correct.

1 Corinthians 11:6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. - KJV

1 Corinthians 11:6 For, assuming that a woman is uncovered, let her also cut her hair close. But since it is dishonorable for a woman to be shaven or have her hair cropped close, let her put a shawl down over her head. - Weust

1 Corinthians 11:6 For if a woman will not wear [a head] covering, then she should cut off her hair too; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to have her head shorn or shaven, let her cover [her head]. - Amplified

Paul is only saying that the refusal to have long hair or wear a covering over short hair while praying or prophesying on the basis that it is no big deal is disproven by the reluctance of the women to shave their heads.

Upvote 0

Llewelyn

Least of all saints
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2015
New South Wales Australia
Visit site
✟22,833.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
If by "traditional view" one means the view that women are supposed to wear a particular garment to demonstrate that they are under the authority of a male, then that view is by definition "sexist" at the very least, and reasonably understood to be misogynistic.

Sexist and misogynistic are not Biblical terms or viewpoints and have no value in either Scriptural or Spiritual debate.

I do not see that the text is suggesting that women are supposed to wear a particular garment to demonstrate that they are under the authority of a male, only that she honours her husband. However, when it comes to authority we see that it goes God; Christ; husband; wife. God set this up and not man. If you challenge it at the bottom you challenge it at the top so I assume you may not accept that God is the ultimate authority. Personally I have a problem with that.

However, since not every woman is my wife, I think that this should be left between a husband and wife to sort out. It is not my place to interfere.

To Mary I say, it is a shame that you are refused permission. It is this that saddens me deeply.

I keep my hair short to honour Christ, if you wish to wear a hat to honour your husband or Christ for that matter, why should you not be allowed to do so?

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is it your view that women should also be "silent" in the assembly?
That is precisely what Scripture says.
FWIW, here is a PDF that addresses that portion of 1 Cor. 11. (The author is a New Testament scholar who advocates full equality of men and women.)
Scholars are prone to ignore what the Bible actually says, and come up with their own notions. While men and women are equal within the body of Christ, their roles and functions in the home and in the church are NOT the same, and that is very clearly spelled out in Scripture.

Back to the New Testament teaching on head coverings for women, if 1 Corinthians is indeed given by Divine inspiration, then the first sixteen verses of chapter 11 are also the Word of God. Women are to cover their heads during worship, and many do. The ones who claim that because Paul says that their hair are given to them for a covering, they need no other covering, have actually perverted the teaching.

Upvote 0

Lady&TheCoatofmanycolors

Kingdom Heir <3
Jul 6, 2016
CA
✟16,008.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
this particular portion was a letter about divisions and quarrels amongst the believers , not foundational commands . He is repeating the issues they were arguing over . Paul gets us to think .

Does a man's hair grow long in nature ??? Or just a woman's ??

Upvote 0