Head Coverings in a Congregational Setting

Is the doctine of Head Coverings a biblical doctrine?

• Yes

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
A lady can modestly and beautifully adorn her head (not just in church) for $10 or less. Cost is not a issue here.
ROTFL Sure, if you're willing to settle for anything. But if you want just the right hat, no way.

I just ran a google shopping search for "stylish women's hats" and they were all cheap and ugly except a few that were sort of okay in the $60 range. But nothing like "This is so cute that I just have to have it no matter what it costs" sort of hat.

I ran a second search for "Old Fashioned women's hats" and was much more successful. The hat my eyes immediately fell on as "too cute, gotta have it" was $245. The second hat that I just had to have was $75. There were also these hats that were so small that they were barely hats, but also...too cute. They were in the $20-30 range.

LOL Whah! I hate being poor! No, not really. I just have to adjust. When I had money, I was very generous. So if I had the occasional fling with a hat, it was okay. Now, I accept generosity, and splurge on a carton of ice cream that I can indulge in many times. Money is irrelevant to happiness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,756.00
Faith
Non-Denom
ROTFL Sure, if you're willing to settle for anything. But if you want just the right hat, no way.

I just ran a google shopping search for "stylish women's hats" and they were all cheap and ugly except a few that were sort of okay in the $60 range. But nothing like "This is so cute that I just have to have it no matter what it costs" sort of hat.

I ran a second search for "Old Fashioned women's hats" and was much more successful. The hat my eyes immediately fell on as "too cute, gotta have it" was $245. The second hat that I just had to have was $75. There were also these hats that were so small that they were barely hats, but also...too cute. They were in the $20-30 range.

LOL Whah! I hate being poor! No, not really. I just have to adjust. When I had money, I was very generous. So if I had the occasional fling with a hat, it was okay. Now, I accept generosity, and splurge on a carton of ice cream that I can indulge in many times. Money is irrelevant to happiness.

I think perhaps there is some misunderstanding here. What I am discussing is covering the head during Christian worship, not engaging in a fashion show of the best products of the milliner's art.

Various denominations have various forms. For example, the church I attend favors this -

upload_2017-4-7_11-32-20.jpeg

However, a related group to us favors black hats, both summer and winter.

Some groups favor a scarf -
upload_2017-4-7_11-33-31.jpeg

Amish, some Mennonite, and some German Brethren groups favor this style -
upload_2017-4-7_11-34-32.jpeg

Others are not nearly as strict and favor hats
upload_2017-4-7_11-35-27.jpeg
upload_2017-4-7_11-35-57.jpeg

Your own denomination promotes this -
upload_2017-4-7_11-36-57.jpeg

The point is the purpose. If it is for God, then considerations of style ought to be secondary.

Reactions: Northern Star
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
What's the argument against it?

I've seen some pretty convincing arguments for the practice, but I want to know why this practice does not seem to be very popular, from a biblical standpoint.
The world at first creeped in.
The world then like a seed planted grew inside.
The world finally won. (to music:"T R A D I T I O N!" )

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I think perhaps there is some misunderstanding here. What I am discussing is covering the head during Christian worship, not engaging in a fashion show of the best products of the milliner's art.
When I attend a Latin Mass, I wear a chapel veil. When I attend a regular Mass, I wear nothing. Different cultures expressing references with different non-verbal communication.

Upvote 0

shakewell

Jun 17, 2013
✟40,638.00
Faith
Christian
What's the argument against it?

I've seen some pretty convincing arguments for the practice, but I want to know why this practice does not seem to be very popular, from a biblical standpoint.
Biblical headship isn't popular with worldy minded people.

KJV 1 Corinthians 11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ. 2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you. 3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
The man being the head of the woman is no more a cultural thing than Christ being the head of man or God being the head of Christ is. It's ongoing and applicable to every church in every generation.

4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.
Men, remove your hat.

5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. 6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.
Women, put your hat on or shave your head.

7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
The woman is the glory of the man in all generations and all cultures.

8 For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. 9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.
Women, recognize your role. You were created for the man. He wasn't created for you.

10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.
Because of culture? No, because of the angels. Angels aren't a cultural thing.

11 Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord. 12 For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God. 13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?
Is it comely to visibly show disrespect for God being the head of Christ, for Christ being the head of every man, or for the man being the head of the woman? Of course it's not comely.

14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?
Men, get a haircut.

15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.
Women, grow your hair long. There's your God-given glory.

16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.
The apostles' and the churches' customs were not contentious against God's revealed order of headship, and we have no excuse for being contentious against it either.

• Winner
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Biblical headship isn't popular with worldy minded people.

KJV 1 Corinthians 11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ. 2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you. 3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
The man being the head of the woman is no more a cultural thing than Christ being the head of man or God being the head of Christ is. It's ongoing and applicable to every church in every generation.

4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.
Men, remove your hat.

5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. 6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.
Women, put your hat on or shave your head.

7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
The woman is the glory of the man in all generations and all cultures.

8 For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. 9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.
Women, recognize your role. You were created for the man. He wasn't created for you.

10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.
Because of culture? No, because of the angels. Angels aren't a cultural thing.

11 Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord. 12 For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God. 13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?
Is it comely to visibly show disrespect for God being the head of Christ, for Christ being the head of every man, or for the man being the head of the woman? Of course it's not comely.

14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?
Men, get a haircut.

15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.
Women, grow your hair long. There's your God-given glory.

16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.
The apostles' and the churches' customs were not contentious against God's revealed order of headship, and we have no excuse for being contentious against it either.

Let me know when you're returning from 1st Century Corinth. A woman's head covering was symbolic in those days but it has no meaning in most of 21st Century church life.

• Winner
Reactions: Jadis40
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,756.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Let me know when you're returning from 1st Century Corinth. A woman's head covering was symbolic in those days but it has no meaning in most of 21st Century church life.

You say "most of 21st Century church life". That implies that it does have meaning in some. What would that be?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
So, do you think headcoverings are a false doctrine?

I think that the requirement for a woman to cover her head in church is false doctrine. If it's her choice, fine, just as it's a man's choice to cut his hair or not.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,756.00
Faith
Non-Denom
So, do you think headcoverings are a false doctrine?

It might comfort you to know that the Roman Catholic Church has not required women to cover their heads at mass since Vatican II and, interestingly, virtually everywhere else in the world, except the United States of America women do cover their heads when they go to church and men take off their hats.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Don't forget to remind your avatar guy to put his shirt on before he goes to church.

I don't think there were any churches around 5,000 years ago. Don't worry, he won't be showing up in your church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums