Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Just wondering, for those of you involved in youth ministry in any capacity, if your church asks or requires that the youth (or their parents) pay a portion of the cost to participate in youth activities...such as trips and extracurricular stuff (ie: bowling or something similar). Seems some churches are going this route, but it's not traditionally asked that the youth have to pay anything.

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,007.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
If God doesn't provide for it by His church it shouldn't be done. Whatever God calls us to do He provides for.
God can use people to provide. The money does not just show up.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
can you give an example I haven't heard of this people are welcome to donate or if a cost needs to be covered usually the parents pay. Children don't have money as they still in school!!! They don't have jobs.

I don't know what our church does as I don't have own children myself but as far as I know the children don't need to pay anything to participate.

But with things like youth camps I think maybe there is a cost involved. But it will be upfront. School holiday programs I heard are expensive these days but when I was a child we just stayed home but dad was home too. Most children I know just stay with family like aunties and uncles or grandparents.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,007.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sure it does. When there is a need God provides. If He has called us to do a certain thing He provides for it. He doesn't need our help.
someone has to GIVE that money. Churches do not work through taxes.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,007.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Our church you pay for events, but we do have a youth fund that the church pays part of and if someone honestly wants to go and HONESTLY cannot afford it people can donate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
can you give an example I haven't heard of this people are welcome to donate or if a cost needs to be covered usually the parents pay. Children don't have money as they still in school!!! They don't have jobs.

I don't know what our church does as I don't have own children myself but as far as I know the children don't need to pay anything to participate.

But with things like youth camps I think maybe there is a cost involved. But it will be upfront. School holiday programs I heard are expensive these days but when I was a child we just stayed home but dad was home too. Most children I know just stay with family like aunties and uncles or grandparents.

Parents' financial contributions included. I mentioned that in the OP.

While there are fund raisers hosted by the youth to contribute to the youth budget, what are you alls thoughts on the youth/parents having to contribute financially for a percentage of each activity outside of the church.

Examples:

Lunches outside of the church
Overnight or weekend trips
Conventions (may involve hotel stays)

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
someone has to GIVE that money. Churches do not work through taxes.
Do you think that God needs anything from us? Of course God works through means and that is through people giving because He has put it on their heart to do so without anyone having to ask for it.

If He intends for a preacher to be on the radio He provides the means for it without the preacher having to ask for money. The same goes for all other things that He intends for us to do including missionary work. If a man has to ask for money to support what he does God isn't in it.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,007.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Do you think that God needs anything from us? Of course God works through means and that is through people giving because He has put it on their heart to do so without anyone having to ask for it.

If He intends for a preacher to be on the radio He provides the means for it without the preacher having to ask for money. The same goes for all other things that He intends for us to do including missionary work. If a man has to ask for money to support what he does God isn't in it.
God uses means someone has to provide those means else it will not happen Money just does not appear.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
God uses means someone has to provide those means else it will not happen Money just does not appear.
You seem to be missing the point. What I am saying is that if God calls us to a ministry or work He provides the means to do it without us having to ask for it. That is one of the ways we know that God has called us to it. If we take it upon ourselves to do something, anything at all, we are running without having been sent. That is why so many have to ask for money to support whatever they do. We must learn to wait on the Lord instead of taking it upon ourselves to do something.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
don't know, nobody I know goes on them. Sorry.

if there's stuff being organised amongst friends its just all worked out amongst ourselves. Depends on who wants to shout, and parents are the ones who pay for children if theres a cost the children NEVER have to pay. Most things are low cost or free anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Not sure what the issue is here. Parents have always had to pay for anything their child needs to do thats part of the responisbility of being a parent. If the childs parent cannot afford maybe an aunt or uncle can pay for them. Like their guardian.

If a child is coming to church without parents then they would usually be adopted by someone within the church family who would cover the cost of any outside activities that need to be paid for. Thats part of being generous and a christian thing to do, blessing the child.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Baptist church we belonged to 20 years ago did this (make the families pay for their youth to attend extra-curricular activities). That was the reason we left. We couldn't afford for our kids to be in the youth group and go on these outings. The problem was that the outings were cheap little affairs like going bowling or tent camping. Rather the outings were overnight skiing trips or weekend "mission" trips. Things that cost over $100 dollars each. We asked the youth minister why not have cheaper activities, but he said that the youth don't show up for "small" things. Since we couldn't afford for our kids to go, we opted to leave the church.

I still feel the same 20 years later. The church as a whole should have enough $$ to pay for the youth ministry. If the church allocates their funds such that the youth ministry is short-changed, that tells me they're not serious about a youth ministry.

Upvote 0

Odetta

Thankful for grace
Jan 24, 2014
Georgia
✟32,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
In our church, the parents pay for some of the extra-curriculars - generally the off campus ones. If there is a hardship, the church has a fund, but it's not openly advertised so that it's not abused. I see nothing wrong with this set-up. The church spends plenty out of the general budget on the student ministry for all it's on-campus stuff, which includes some big events.

For big things, like the bi-annual international mission trip, the church does special fundraisers. Those trips cost in the 10s of thousands, because we usually have roughly 75 kids going plus chaperones, plus all the supplies needed for housing, food, whatever activities we're doing there (ie, building things), etc. For some trips, the fundraising only covers so much, and parents are responsible for the difference. The kids also have other requirements to earn the privilege of going (bible and book reading and reports, journaling, scripture memorization, working the fundraising events, evangelism, etc.). The one this summer however, the fundraising was able to cover the cost of everyone going with no out of pocket expense.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes fundraisers. Our church has carboot sale or sausage sizzles. There is also a youth budget but not openly advertised like odetta says.
Sometimes in schools children may sell something to raise funds, thats always happned in schools which are short of funds.
I know some christian schools have galas, garage sales, talent or bible quizes etc.

This wasnt in youth ministry but if someone wanted to go to a conference and couldnt afford often a more well off brother or sister would offer to pay or sponsor someone else. Rides and transportation and lunches and weekend trips...same thing.

Upvote 0