Have you read these Christian Philosophers for Apologetic Value?

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Due to the 2 sections I've bolded we're probably talking about 2 different things here. I don't try to tap dance away from circumstantial evidence, for me it's always been about taking 20 steps back and looking at the totality of circumstantial evidence that is piled ontop of itself. As a matter of fact sometimes I laugh at how each individual situation can always have multiple explanations attached to it, which is why it is about totality for me.
I think we can give Silmarien the benefit of the doubt on this case, because while I basically agree with your position about the historicity of Christ, I can also see her point about how the term "circumstatial" can be not only easily applied to the case of Jesus, but in legal terms, even appropriately so. And this isn't a bad thing. Circumstantial evidence is at times enough to convict criminals; it can also be enough to bear historical witness to us that Jesus is who He said he was. I believe that it is this very legal language that J. Warner Wallace uses to refer to his Apologetics defense in his recent book, Cold-Case Christianity. So, being that Silmarien hails from a legal background as well as a philosophical one, we might give her a tiny bit of slack on this one. :cool:

Reactions: Dirk1540
Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
... but doesn't everyone have bias to some extent which affects our individual attempts at objectivity? What philosophical (or legal) principles provide the criteria by which we decide to give some scholar the ol' heave-ho because he's a bit too exuberant over his case?

For me, the key is whether or not someone will argue for something that goes against their best interests. I trust James D.G. Dunn, for example, for being willing to level some criticism at arguments for early High Christology despite being Trinitarian himself.

On the other hand, if it looks like your views have never shifted at all despite in-depth study, I'm going to be very concerned. And mental gymnastics make me nervous as well. I like N.T. Wright, for example, but he gets a little too close to inerrancy for someone who is not an inerrantist.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dirk1540

Site Supporter
Sep 19, 2015
Jersey
✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think we can give Silmarien the benefit of the doubt on this case, because while I basically agree with your position about the historicity of Christ, I can also see her point about how the term "circumstatial" can be not only easily applied to the case of Jesus, but in legal terms, even appropriately so. And this isn't a bad thing. Circumstantial evidence is at times enough to convict criminals; it can also be enough to bear historical witness to us that Jesus is who He said he was. I believe that it is this very legal language that J. Warner Wallace uses to refer to his Apologetics defense in his recent book, Cold-Case Christianity. So, being that Silmarien hails from a legal background as well as a philosophical one, we might give her a tiny bit of slack on this one. :cool:
I don't argue against circumstantial evidence, I just argue for there being an impressive amount of it to string together, to give us a much clearer picture than a single piece of circumstantial evidence. It feels like me and Simarien think we are in general disagreement but we're not, all of her complaints about deceptive scholarship also annoys me.

It pretty much seems to me that we're just hung up on a historical trivia question that's all, is the crucifixion the most richly documented single day event in the ancient world? I'm totally cool with finding out I'm wrong if I'm wrong, I just wanna know for certain at this point so I don't state misinformation. Well let me ask my buddy @Quid est Veritas? who's historical knowledge crushes mine if he has a definitive answer on this??

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well...this may sound like I'm trying to hype things up with fancy hyperbole but not really, unless it's misleading for people to hear me say 'Event' and compare it to a series of events. For example the Peloponnesian Wars or the 1st Crusades are very far from single day events. Yes, I believe that the Roman crucifixion of Jesus is the best attested single day event in the ancient world. More authors/sources reference this single day event (within X amount of years close to the event) than any single day event that I know of in the ancient world. If I'm in need of correction I will not only not be confrontational about it but I will appreciate it so that I don't type this anymore in a way that is exaggerated and misleading. There have been times where I have found out that I had been overexaggerating something, and I yelled at myself for awhile, then didn't do it anymore lol

I see. I would still say the trial and execution of Socrates, since we have Plato and Xenophon as primary sources, both of whom had been his students and full contemporaries.

It is important to note how much ancient history has been lost, however. The Christians had an incentive to save every scrap of information they could on Jesus, so it's really not remarkable that it's survived where the vast majority of other primary sources have perished. When Christianity has been instrumental in passing down information for the past 2000 years, calling this the best attested single day event really means nothing. The game was rigged from the start.

I agree with the rest of your post, though. Just not the particular phrasing you use here.

It feels like me and Simarien think we are in general disagreement but we're not, all of her complaints about deceptive scholarship also annoys me.

Oh, we're not in disagreement. I just nitpick the 5% I disagree with and ignore everything else. ^_^

Upvote 0

Dirk1540

Site Supporter
Sep 19, 2015
Jersey
✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I see. I would still say the trial and execution of Socrates, since we have Plato and Xenophon as primary sources, both of whom had been his students and full contemporaries.

It is important to note how much ancient history has been lost, however. The Christians had an incentive to save every scrap of information they could on Jesus, so it's really not remarkable that it's survived where the vast majority of other primary sources have perished. When Christianity has been instrumental in passing down information for the past 2000 years, calling this the best attested single day event really means nothing. The game was rigged from the start.

I agree with the rest of your post, though. Just not the particular phrasing you use here.

Oh, we're not in disagreement. I just nitpick the 5% I disagree with and ignore everything else. ^_^
Oh of course! It's all in the spirit of respectful disagreement. Now...allow me to completely annihilate the 5% of you that is embarrassingly dead wrong!!!! Lol just kidding. But I would be in disagreement ha. We have people like Josephus, Tacitus, Lucian, Jewish Talmud, that explicitly mention Jesus' crucifixion. But with not much detective work IMO it's very easy to see that other writers are implicitly glued to admitting to the crucifixion (so that it may as well be explicit) because there was simply no competing storyline whatsoever attached to this movement called Christianity, other than the storyline that Jesus was crucified, buried, and raised.

So that when Suetonius says "Punishment was inflicted on the Christians, a body of people addicted to a novel and mischievous superstition" are we seriously going to theorize that what he had in mind was that the novel of Christianity involved Jesus drowning in the Jordan River, and coming back to life?? The 'Mischievous Superstition' shows up several times. The Christians were the exact polar opposite of a secretive movement. It was literally their CALLING to never shut up about the fate of Jesus. The mischievous superstition is the resurrection for any person who is interested in analytical historic detective work. And the resurrection (in the eyes of secular writers) was the ridiculous Christian speculation of the conclusion attached to the crucifixion. This doesn't take Columbo to figure out what this 'Christian Novel' stated. Pliny the Younger would be another example.

So I would even argue that those who just implicitly mention the crucifixion, that it doesn't even make historical sense to conclude anything other than the ONLY storyline that there was. You wanna talk about never shutting up about the crucifixion/resurrection, the guy who was the most influential spreader of 'Their novel' also happened to be the guy who brought the crucifixion and resurrection up constantly, Paul. I would say that it's going to take some impressive gymnastics to convince me that the mischievous superstition was not the resurrection, which makes no sense without the crucifixion, they are glued together (and again this is just in exception to those who explicitly mention the crucifixion).

Within the first 150 years of Jesus' life there are 10 known non-Christian writers who mention Jesus. In the same 150 years if you count Christian writers we have 43. For a preacher from Palestine, this is a historical pipe dream come true.

I think that you are still a little bit gun shy however about your confidence with presenting the Christian writers to non-Christians in the public square of debate. That's not a knock though, I was too for a very long time. I can tell you still have this reaction that they are some watered down form of 'Real' confirmation. I think that you should put a lot more thought into the fact that their contemporaries BOUGHT their message, rather than the thought that they 'Just wrote it as biased writers.' I can write an article tomorrow about the life of Ronald Reagan. If I douse it with a bunch of misinformation to the point that it is just ridiculous...nobody is going to care if I am a Democrat, Republican, Independent, or communist. My article will be ridiculous, period. A person's bias DOES absolutely play into things, but at the same time don't take that concept too far and believe that they can get away with whatever they want.

Having said that I know that you know more than most about 1st century's oral tradition society. My Reagan analogy does have incompatibility issues, my 'Article' will be more analogous to public oral teaching/reporting (at least until they were officially in writing)...but the gist of the analogy is there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For me, the key is whether or not someone will argue for something that goes against their best interests. I trust James D.G. Dunn, for example, for being willing to level some criticism at arguments for early High Christology despite being Trinitarian himself.

On the other hand, if it looks like your views have never shifted at all despite in-depth study, I'm going to be very concerned. And mental gymnastics make me nervous as well. I like N.T. Wright, for example, but he gets a little too close to inerrancy for someone who is not an inerrantist.

That sounds reasonable to me, Silmarien. Like you, I prefer to keep a more expansive and dynamic view of faith in sight, yet without jettisoning the central, historical (minimal?) core of the Trinitarian Christian faith.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I don't argue against circumstantial evidence, I just argue for there being an impressive amount of it to string together, to give us a much clearer picture than a single piece of circumstantial evidence. It feels like me and Simarien think we are in general disagreement but we're not, all of her complaints about deceptive scholarship also annoys me.

It pretty much seems to me that we're just hung up on a historical trivia question that's all, is the crucifixion the most richly documented single day event in the ancient world? I'm totally cool with finding out I'm wrong if I'm wrong, I just wanna know for certain at this point so I don't state misinformation. Well let me ask my buddy @Quid est Veritas? who's historical knowledge crushes mine if he has a definitive answer on this??
I have come late into your discussion, but I'll give my opinion. Apologies for repetition.

Firstly, what do we mean here? When is something "richly documented" or well attested? All sources aren't created equally.
Eyewitness accounts are probably better than later second hand ones, but is a bad eyewitness still better than a good second hand one? Do multiple later accounts trump one earlier more or less contemporaneous one? Such questions will always be highly subjective then, unless you create some form of artificial method to grade evidence - which still is subjective, just agreed upon by convention.

Anyway, that aside, to the question at hand:

@Silmarien: Socrates' trial has one eyewitness account - Plato. Xenophon was not an eyewitness, so although a student of Socrates, he based his account on others, likely that of Hermogenes.
There were likely others, but these two seem to be our only extent accounts and later accounts of Socrates' trial seems based on one of these two. They have significant differences, such as in Socrates reason for choosing suicide: Xenophon argues that he wished to miss the ravishes of old age, so a form of Euthanasia. Plato argues for a robust defence of his philosophy requiring it. Similarly, Plato has Socrates calling his daimonion an inhibitory impulse, while Xenophon seems to suggest it actively guided on occasion as well, in their report of what he said in his defence.
So, do we trust Plato? His account was written as a piece of philosophy, with clear structure in that regard. Xenophon's was written to defend his teacher, so is highly biased (as is Plato), but perhaps represents actual events more closely.
One highly biased eyewitness account with ulterior philosophical motives, and a post-fact rationalisation done second hand to the events, that disagrees significantly with one another, really does not make it very reliable. It is however well attested, as there is literally no reason to doubt Socrates was put on trial and was killed, and Socrates has independant verification in Aristophanes and so forth.

Now we turn to Jesus' trial: Here we have no eyewitnesses, as even the traditional authorship of the gospels would not have been present (maybe John at the Cross itself). We have possibly 3 independant gospel accounts though, in Mark, John and perhaps hypothetical Q. We have Tacitus mentioning Christ's execution under Pilate (although using an incorrect title for Pilate). We have a redacted and revised reference in Josephus.
There are references to Yeshu hanging on his tree, or Mara bar Serapion's references, but these aren't definite and refer to His execution, not really details on the trial.
Suetonius merely mentions Jesus' name, and Church Fathers and Lucian are later sources clearly dependant on these earlier ones.
So multiple second hand sources, which on occasion amount to a one-liner mention which implies perhaps a trial. It is however less definite that a trial had to have taken place, as Roman governors could execute a troublesome provincial if they saw fit to, without one.

So who is better attested? I think both are very well attested by standards of ancient events, but it is difficult to weigh one against the other.
Neither are the "best attested" of ancient events. We have multiple letters of Cicero to Atticus outlining events of the late Republic. We have Cicero's speeches, such as those against Catiline. We have other historians writing on these events.
We have Caesar's eyewitness account of the Gallic Wars, with archeaological corroboration for events like the Siege of Alesia. We have multiple accounts of Teutoberger Wald and again, some archaelogical support.
There are many events better attested in my opinion, then either of these trials. Even if we take only trials, we have better attested Roman trials like those of Clodius or Caelius.

If we strip down to just the Crucifixion of Jesus of Nazareth, no serious historian doubts that. It has both Roman, Jewish (actual if corrupted, and possible) and Christian sources. That is one detail though, but probably one of the best attested of all. It still matters though, how you judge evidence. Is the one eyewitness of Socrates' death and the tradition surrounding it, better than the multiple second hand ones of Jesus' death? That is highly subjective still.

Single events; such as someone writing Augustus put up the Arx Pacis and wrote the Gestae, then we go digging the thing up and reading it; can still be argued to be far better attested than something which did not leave such physical evidence. Where do we draw the line of evidence required before we believe a thing occurred?

The point is, Jesus' execution by Roman authority is highly probable regardless and since there is a rich tradition of a trial since early days, strong grounds for it as well. If you accept events surrounding it or not, depends largely on your trust in the veracity of the Gospels then. That is another argument in entirety.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh of course! It's all in the spirit of respectful disagreement. Now...allow me to completely annihilate the 5% of you that is embarrassingly dead wrong!!!! Lol just kidding. But I would be in disagreement ha. We have people like Josephus, Tacitus, Lucian, Jewish Talmud, that explicitly mention Jesus' crucifixion. But with not much detective work IMO it's very easy to see that other writers are implicitly glued to admitting to the crucifixion (so that it may as well be explicit) because there was simply no competing storyline whatsoever attached to this movement called Christianity, other than the storyline that Jesus was crucified, buried, and raised.

I'm only contesting the claim that the Crucifixion is the best attested event in the ancient world. We have no primary sources that we have strong reason to believe were there--Paul is the closest, and we know for a fact that he arrived on the scene later. Cases could be made for the Gospels of Mark and John being connected to various disciples, but it's far from airtight.

In contrast, we do know who Plato and Xenophon were, where they were, and that they were contemporaries. They are better sources--I will concede Quid's point about heavy bias playing a role in Plato's account, but the same thing can be said for Paul and the Gospels. I don't think that mentions by Tacitus, who wrote decades later in a different part of the Roman Empire, really overthrow that. Josephus is a better source, though his less controversial mention of Jesus actually involves the execution of James instead.

I will now drop Socrates as my counterexample and grab Cicero instead.

So I would even argue that those who just implicitly mention the crucifixion, that it doesn't even make historical sense to conclude anything other than the ONLY storyline that there was.

I agree. Denying the Crucifixion as a historical event is nonsensical. But it doesn't need to be the best attested event in ancient history for there to be solid reasons for accepting it.

I think that you are still a little bit gun shy however about your confidence with presenting the Christian writers to non-Christians in the public square of debate.

I'm not. The Pauline epistles are historical documents and should be treated as such. Again, I don't think there's any legitimate reason to deny that the Crucifixion occurred. The only thing I'm saying is that there are better documented events in the ancient world. It's not a zero-sum game.

@Silmarien: Socrates' trial has one eyewitness account - Plato. Xenophon was not an eyewitness, so although a student of Socrates, he based his account on others, likely that of Hermogenes.

Contemporary, I said. ;) Not eyewitness. If we're counting Josephus as a source, Xenophon probably still beats him.

Neither are the "best attested" of ancient events. We have multiple letters of Cicero to Atticus outlining events of the late Republic. We have Cicero's speeches, such as those against Catiline. We have other historians writing on these events.

It was the only one I could think of offhand that was a single day event and not part of a larger campaign. I don't mean to imply that it was the best. Only better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Contemporary, I said. ;) Not eyewitness. If we're counting Josephus as a source, Xenophon probably still beats him.
Sorry about that. I was in the process of fixing that when you posted, as I realised my misunderstanding - it is fixed now.

Yes, Xenophon probably beats Josephus. But does Xenophon beat Paul? The mind boggles, and I think we are treading on "who would win between a Viking and a Velociraptor"-style questions.
It was the only one I could think of offhand that was a single day event and not part of a larger campaign. I don't mean to imply that it was the best. Only better.
No, it is a fairly good one for the argument, but the internal inconsistencies between both our accounts, their bias, and a paucity of sources independant of them, makes it a harder one to sell than others.
I disagree it is necessarily 'better' though, but I think that largely a personal call one makes based on the sources. I don't think it can be said with much certainty, due to the subjective weighting of evidence.

Best go with Cicero, yes.

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Sorry about that. I was in the process of fixing that when you posted, as I realised my misunderstanding - it is fixed now.

No problem. :)

Yes, Xenophon probably beats Josephus. But does Xenophon beat Paul? The mind boggles, and I think we are treading on "who would win between a Viking and a Velociraptor"-style questions.

Xenophon might not beat Paul, but Plato probably would. I can see it being a difficult call, though.

In any case... Velociraptor!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dirk1540

Site Supporter
Sep 19, 2015
Jersey
✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thanks a lot I'm glad you chimed in, geat insights as always!!
Socrates' trial seems based on one of these two...It is however well attested, as there is literally no reason to doubt Socrates was put on trial and was killed, and Socrates has independant verification in Aristophanes and so forth.
Yes this is the type of distinction that I was driving at. I do understand the value of time & place of the source (and you make great points about overrating & underrating sources due to time & place), but for more broad details of confirmation such precision of time & place is not so necessary compared to other details (did the trial take place vs details of the trial). And my main point was that the bare fact that Jesus's crucifixion took place is very very important. For instance I am a really a big fan of hearing Tacitus say this (in the context of referencing the 64 AD Nero fire)...

"Christus, from whom the name had it's origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out..."

Now this was written in 112 AD. But IMO this is too much of a dry 'Matter of fact' type of side detail, written by an in the know Roman history...and if 'Procurator' was a technical blunder by him it was certainly not comparable to the blunder of him saying 'The King of Australia.' Because of the situation it doesn't matter to me that it was written in 112 AD, nor where it was written. Tacitus trying to tell us something contrary to John about something Jesus said, that would be a different matter. This would also be a great example for people to understand why finding an error in an ancient document does not render the document as worthless and unreliable.

But now that we're on this subject, I know that you are good with name & grammar idiosyncrasies @Quid est Veritas? , I was wondering, why does he say Christus and Pontius Pilatus instead of just saying Christ and Pontius Pilate?

I also would like to say that I will simply fall over on the day that a non-Christian admits that Luke has been confirmed by archaeology to be on the level of deserving to be in the ancient historian's Hall of Fame.
If you accept events surrounding it or not, depends largely on your trust in the veracity of the Gospels then. That is another argument in entirety.
They can't possibly be reliable they are the primary sources, the veracity of the secondary further removed sources are the only ones I trust. If a major event takes place in Salt Lake City the last witnesses that I will care to hear from are the biased ones in Salt Lake City lol.

Edit...forgot to add, thank you I won't call it the most documented event it ancient history anymore, even having a case for being right is highly subjective, I regret using a cheesy cliche. But on the plus side I really got a rise out of Silmarien lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Thanks a lot I'm glad you chimed in, geat insights as always!!

Yes this is the type of distinction that I was driving at. I do understand the value of time & place of the source (and you make great points about overrating & underrating sources due to time & place), but for more broad details of confirmation such precision of time & place is not so necessary compared to other details (did the trial take place vs details of the trial). And my main point was that the bare fact that Jesus's crucifixion took place is very very important. For instance I am a really a big fan of hearing Tacitus say this (in the context of referencing the 64 AD Nero fire)...

"Christus, from whom the name had it's origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out..."

Now this was written in 112 AD. But IMO this is too much of a dry 'Matter of fact' type of side detail, written by an in the know Roman history...and if 'Procurator' was a technical blunder by him it was certainly not comparable to the blunder of him saying 'The King of Australia.' Because of the situation it doesn't matter to me that it was written in 112 AD, nor where it was written. Tacitus trying to tell us something contrary to John about something Jesus said, that would be a different matter. This would also be a great example for people to understand why finding an error in an ancient document does not render the document as worthless and unreliable.

But now that we're on this subject, I know that you are good with name & grammar idiosyncrasies @Quid est Veritas? , I was wondering, why does he say Christus and Pontius Pilatus instead of just saying Christ and Pontius Pilate?

I also would like to say that I will simply fall over on the day that a non-Christian admits that Luke has been confirmed by archaeology to be on the level of deserving to be in the ancient historian's Hall of Fame.

They can't possibly be reliable they are the primary sources, the veracity of the secondary further removed sources are the only ones I trust. If a major event takes place in Salt Lake City the last witnesses that I will care to hear from are the biased ones in Salt Lake City lol.
Tacitus' mistake is actually strong support for it being an independant Roman reference. If it had been derived from a gospel or been a medieaval interpolation corrupting the text, the title would have been the same as that in the Gospel, Prefect.
As such, Tacitus probably derived it from 'dry' official Roman annals, as you called it.

It is actually a very important fact otherwise. Roman Judaea had Prefects from its creation as a province in 6 AD, until it became part of Agrippa I's client kingdom in 41 AD. When this was wrapped up in 44 AD, thereafter the governor was a procurator. Tacitus was thus used to Judaea having a procurator, and thus incorrectly ascribed it to Pilate.
However, the Gospels use the correct title, and not the one extent in 70-110 AD, when most people say they were written today. This strongly supports the Gospels maintaining legitimate information of the period prior to 44 AD, since it got this unimportant side point right. It is very important when considering how accurately the Gospels portray the period.

As a side note, the strongest reason for dating the Gospels after 70 AD is their mention of the destruction of Jerusalem - an after-the-fact prophecy. If you accept prophecy though, there is no reason why you can't shift their dates back about 20 years stylistically, for dates of composition from 50-110.

As to the names: Christ and Pilate are English writing conventions. The Latin is Christus and Pontius Pilatus. It is the same way how we write Julius Caesar instead of Gaius Iulius Caesar, or Pompey instead of Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus. August should be Augustus like the Emperor and July, Julius. In the old days, people like Cicero used to be called Tully (being Marcus Tullius Cicero) and it still survives with Pliny (Gaius Plinius Secundus) or Livy (Titus Livius).
English dropped the Latin ending, as it is not necessary as English largely lacks declensions, and it is the root of the name which undergoes change in Latin - changing slightly depending on tense.
Jesus did the same: English used to use Jesus and Jesu, but the latter later fell out of favour.
The translator opted to keep the names in the Latin forms here, that's all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dirk1540

Site Supporter
Sep 19, 2015
Jersey
✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Roman Judaea had Prefects from its creation as a province in 6 AD, until it became part of Agrippa I's client kingdom in 41 AD. When this was wrapped up in 44 AD, thereafter the governor was a procurator. Tacitus was thus used to Judaea having a procurator, and thus incorrectly ascribed it to Pilate.
However, the Gospels use the correct title, and not the one extent in 70-110 AD
Wow how about that, looks like his blunder was actually more understandable than boneheaded! The insights on the dating are awesome!

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Obviously, this is the Apologetics Forum in which the rubber actually meets the road, and all of the Christian talking, thinking, philosophizing, and theologizing come to bear upon how we not only conceive our own faith, but in how we present (or defend it) to others.

Everyone is familiar with the typical Apologetics list that is often brought out and to which people most often go for "Christian Answers" to all those nasty complexities of religious thought that everyone wrestles with in some way or other. And while there is indeed much to learn from the usual names that are brought out on behalf of Christian faith, such as C.S. Lewis, William Lane Craig, Lee Stroble, R.C. Sproul, Josh McDowell, etc., etc., there are also a whole host of Christian Philosophers whom also can be brought in for further, in-depth, and variable, consideration on the philosophical and theological issues that pique our interests.

In this thread I'm providing some lists for everyone to peruse. These lists are by no means exhaustive, since there are a couple of dozen names that could be added that aren't present. Or there are some unknown Christians who have degrees in philosophy and/or related academic fields who go unnoticed and might deserve mention like: Merold Westphal (post-modern philosopher), Catherine Clark Kroeger (Theologian/Ethicist/Women's Rights), Basil Mitchell (analytic philosopher), and some like Hans Urs von Balthazar (a philosophical theologian).

So, if you have ever read anyone on these lists (other than C.S. Lewis or WLC :rolleyes:), go ahead and comment about them in this thread and maybe a little about what he/she means to you. Or, if you have some names that you know are Christian Philosophers and you want to add them, then please do so.

1) Category:Christian philosophers - Wikipedia

2) Christian philosophy - Wikipedia

3) https://www.amazon.com/God-Philosop...7192&sr=8-2&keywords=philosophers+who+believe

4) https://www.amazon.com/Philosophers...7192&sr=8-1&keywords=philosophers+who+believe

Enjoy whatever discussion comes about here ...

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Yep. That's about what I thought. Nearly nada. :nowords:

Upvote 0