Have you ever tried making an Advent resolution?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,678,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The season of Advent is similar to Lent, a penitential time when we can make resolutions to live closer to Christ.

Advent is a beautiful time of the year and is similar to Lent in many ways. We can practice similar spiritual practices, such as making a Lenten resolution, including various sacrifices and commitments to increase spiritual activity.

Such spiritual resolutions might include giving up chocolate for Lent, or engaging in almsgiving during the penitential season.

Advent is also meant to be a season of prayer, fasting, and almsgiving. While Catholics are not often encouraged to make resolutions during Advent, the liturgical season is meant to be a time to prepare our hearts for the coming of Jesus at Christmas.

As an example, beginning in the 8th century Eastern Christians doubled down on their preparations for Christmas. They firmly believed in the ancient maxim, “fast before you feast,” and followed Christ’s example of fasting for 40 days in the desert before he began his public ministry. To properly prepare for the glorious celebration of Christmas on December 25, they fasted for 40 days, beginning November 15 and ending on Christmas Eve.

While the Nativity Fast was not as rigorous as the Lenten Fast, it still reiterated the point that Advent was designed as a pentiential season.

Continued below.

RickardoHolmes

Aug 10, 2015
✟84,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not so much a resolution, more of a deeper, mystical spiritual reflection. Now remember, I am more into Advent than Lent, in fact I have been described as an "Advent" Christian.. So Advent is my favorite season of the year, by far.

I spend more time in quiet reflection of the mystery of The Word made Flesh which is the focus of Advent for me. AS a non materialist, I have less desire for the gifts, and if I have any Advent resolution it is to give as much as I can afford to help as many people as I can help.
Worship Services are the highlight of each Advent week, and this culminates with the midnight Service, where we walk into church on Christmas Eve and emerge after midnight, when it is Christmas h

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So Advent is my favorite season of the year, by far.
"A voice cries out:
In the desert prepare the way of the LORD!
Make straight in the wasteland a highway for our God!
Every valley shall be filled in,
every mountain and hill shall be made low;
the rugged land shall be made a plain,
the rough country, a broad valley."

We are that desert, that wasteland, that rugged, rough country. Isaiah describes our hearts.
So how do I make it smooth? How do I prepare it.

More time with the Gospels and inner silence.... starting tomorrow. First week went too fast.

Upvote 0