Logann

Sep 7, 2016
Colorado
✟7,614.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Long story short... I struggle with OCD, and I have always been very prone to suggestion my entire life.

When I found out about the unforgivable sin, I was immediately worried I might accidentally commit it on accident.

Just earlier today though, I was just relaxing with some friends. I have no idea why, but we got to talking talking about the unforgivable sin, and what it was. Because of my OCD, out of nowhere, I randomly pictured myself in my head saying "I Blaspheme the..." (i refuse to say these words in the same sentence as the last, but they are "Holy Spirit").

For hours now, I have been extremely scared. Does this mean I've committed it? Am I going to hell? I have been a good Christian for my entire life, and I know I would never commit this with full intentions of doing so.

I have heard statements like "if your worried about it, you haven't committed it", but I still feel as though I have committed it.

Thanks in advance for replying to this thread. I have been through a lot recently, and I am just seeking answers.

AmyPerle

Jun 21, 2016
FRANCE
Visit site
✟25,592.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello Logan!

Well, I had this question some time ago. I ask this to somebody I consider wise. What He said to me was: the unforgivable sin would be to say to the Holy spirit I don't need you. To deny Him, to refuse the gift God give on the cross, thinking that you don't need the grace of God. Well, for me it make sence,
Think about all the passages about forgiveness in the Bible. God is not a god who won't give you forgiveness if you ask Him sincerely with all your heart. Jesus came because of the sin of man, for them to have salvation and to find Him again. He made all that is possible to be with him. The only barrier is you and me, how we respond to the cross.
Pm me if you want to talk about it, no problem
Blessing Brother :)

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟183,262.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Blaspheming the Holy Spirit is when we refuse to accept Jesus as our Lord and Saviour. It is basically just another way of saying that every sin is forgiveable except refusing to accept Jesus as Lord and Saviour.

Don't worry about it.

Upvote 0

MayMcFlurry

Jun 30, 2016
England
✟18,090.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Greens
You're fine. The enemy likes to play on our fears. I couldn't count to you how many times the thought pops into my head "I invite demons into my heart" and other such things. Does it mean demons come into my heart? No, they're just messing around with my head, and you can worry about it or just ignore it.

My Christian mum told me that the unforgiveable sin can only be committed by Christians because it's only Christians who have a relationship with God's Holy Spirit, just as the fallen angels had a relationship with God's Holy Spirit and then rebelled - there is no sin offering for rejecting Jesus' salvation once you have already tasted the sweetness of it.

Not sure I've explained that very well, but you are still saved and no you haven't committed the unforgiveable sin.

Reactions: Catherineanne
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Long story short... I struggle with OCD, and I have always been very prone to suggestion my entire life.

When I found out about the unforgivable sin, I was immediately worried I might accidentally commit it on accident.

Just earlier today though, I was just relaxing with some friends. I have no idea why, but we got to talking talking about the unforgivable sin, and what it was. Because of my OCD, out of nowhere, I randomly pictured myself in my head saying "I Blaspheme the..." (i refuse to say these words in the same sentence as the last, but they are "Holy Spirit").

For hours now, I have been extremely scared. Does this mean I've committed it? Am I going to hell? I have been a good Christian for my entire life, and I know I would never commit this with full intentions of doing so.

I have heard statements like "if your worried about it, you haven't committed it", but I still feel as though I have committed it.

Thanks in advance for replying to this thread. I have been through a lot recently, and I am just seeking answers.

I am not a young adult, but I wanted to reassure you, nonetheless.

No, you have not blasphemed the Holy Spirit. Nobody really knows what that phrase means, and in any case because you have OCD, you will not be held accountable for anything inadvertant that you say. Compulsive thoughts are part of OCD; you are not choosing to have them. Nobody is held accountable for symptoms of an illness; we do not choose them.

Please don't worry; God loves you and will not hold any such thoughts or anything you say against you. God understands.

Take care.

Reactions: Rasnosauj
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Hello Logan!

Well, I had this question some time ago. I ask this to somebody I consider wise. What He said to me was: the unforgivable sin would be to say to the Holy spirit I don't need you. To deny Him, to refuse the gift God give on the cross, thinking that you don't need the grace of God. Well, for me it make sence,

I would only say, that is one view, but there is no actual evidence in Scripture on this one. Unless we think our words can undo what the Lord did for us on the cross, denying the Holy Spirit can be forgiven the same as any other sin.

Think about all the passages about forgiveness in the Bible. God is not a god who won't give you forgiveness if you ask Him sincerely with all your heart. Jesus came because of the sin of man, for them to have salvation and to find Him again. He made all that is possible to be with him. The only barrier is you and me, how we respond to the cross.

Exactly. God's love is greater than any sin we might commit.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
You're fine. The enemy likes to play on our fears. I couldn't count to you how many times the thought pops into my head "I invite demons into my heart" and other such things. Does it mean demons come into my heart? No, they're just messing around with my head, and you can worry about it or just ignore it.

My Christian mum told me that the unforgiveable sin can only be committed by Christians because it's only Christians who have a relationship with God's Holy Spirit, just as the fallen angels had a relationship with God's Holy Spirit and then rebelled - there is no sin offering for rejecting Jesus' salvation once you have already tasted the sweetness of it.

With respect to your mum, once again, there is indeed forgiveness for those who give up on God, and then later return to him; remember Peter? He betrayed the Lord three times, but he was welcomed back to the faith.

Nobody really knows what the unforgiveable sin actually is.

Not sure I've explained that very well, but you are still saved and no you haven't committed the unforgiveable sin.

Exactly. :)

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For hours now, I have been extremely scared. Does this mean I've committed it?

Not even close.

For some reason people want to throw their own interpretation on what it means to Blaspheme the Holy Spirit into the mix and it not only confuses things, they simply are inaccurate, and as of yet, I'm not sure why they do that.

Amy mentions some common definitions of it (no offense to you, Amy, and after all you aren't the one who came up with those explanations :)) but since this is such a serious thing, at least IMO, man should not be interjecting their own opinions into what it is, especially when the bible is very clear on it and opinions aren't necessary.

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is no more and no less than stating things done through the Holy Spirit are really done through Satan.

Here is the scripture, read it for yourself, and I'm starting at Mathew 12:22 and quoting what I think relevant, you may want to read further before or after what I quote. To be clearer, it was the Pharisees that made the accusation Jesus was casting out the Demons with Satan's power, and not that of the Holey Spirit. Also, as far as I know, this situation is the only mention of unforgivable sin in the Bible, so there really is nothing more to it:

Mathew 12:22 Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw.

23 And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David?

24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.

25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:

26 And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?

27 And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.

28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.

29 Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.

30 He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.

31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

And BTW, I've noticed you aren't the first OCD'r to have this exact same concern, but in a way that would make perfect sense, even non OCD'rs obsess over this one so how much more you all.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CodyFaith
Upvote 0

Logann

Sep 7, 2016
Colorado
✟7,614.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am not a young adult, but I wanted to reassure you, nonetheless.

No, you have not blasphemed the Holy Spirit. Nobody really knows what that phrase means, and in any case because you have OCD, you will not be held accountable for anything inadvertant that you say. Compulsive thoughts are part of OCD; you are not choosing to have them. Nobody is held accountable for symptoms of an illness; we do not choose them.

Please don't worry; God loves you and will not hold any such thoughts or anything you say against you. God understands.

Take care.

Thank you so much for you replies. It means the world to me that you would go out of your way to assure me I was okay.
God Bless you all

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Logann

Sep 7, 2016
Colorado
✟7,614.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello Logan!

Since I don't know how to pm you, I just thought I should bring it up on here.

I was recently praying and I was thinking about blasphemy and asking God to keep me from saying the words "I Blaspheme the..." (Again, those words are Holy Spirit).

I all pretty worried this time, since I said the word with full intentions of doing so, and I'm really scared that I blasphemed the Holy Spirit, since this time it wasn't an accident.

Of course, I didn't mean it. I worship God every day, and I would never truly blaspheme.

Please get back to me asap, because I'm really worried about this.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship

If you are concerned that you might have blasphemed the holy spirit, you have not blasphemed the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0