• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Have any advice?

Gkst

Jun 5, 2020
Bangkok
✟18,308.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I have fear related to said a blasphemy words. And also anothers related to christianity. I would likes to thanks every comment on every thread I was made.I feel really better than in the past. Thanks for remind me that god will forgive me. I have really less worried, Now I only worried of somethings that seems likes not come from OCD. Somethings that feel likes it from me. Sometimes it really hard to classify.

Here my problem,
I just feel like I so fear to open my mouth.I need to make sure my mouth are close and my tougue isn't move, I keep biting my teeth. I afraid to talk much. I mean when I want to say somethings it just likes "okay start (talk) and then immediately make sure my mouth is close. Sometimes I afraid to take a deep breath, I feel likes it can makes a sound if you take a deep breath and suddenly might have move your tougue without knowing. I also afraid when I need to open my mouth and eat food. I will always makes sure that every bite I have keep my mouth close immediately.

Have anyone have advice about this.

Sorry for my bad english.

Reactions: Arc F1

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have fear related to said a blasphemy words. And also anothers related to christianity. I would likes to thanks every comment on every thread I was made.I feel really better than in the past. Thanks for remind me that god will forgive me. I have really less worried, Now I only worried of somethings that seems likes not come from OCD. Somethings that feel likes it from me. Sometimes it really hard to classify.

Here my problem,
I just feel like I so fear to open my mouth.I need to make sure my mouth are close and my tougue isn't move, I keep biting my teeth. I afraid to talk much. I mean when I want to say somethings it just likes "okay start (talk) and then immediately make sure my mouth is close. Sometimes I afraid to take a deep breath, I feel likes it can makes a sound if you take a deep breath and suddenly might have move your tougue without knowing. I also afraid when I need to open my mouth and eat food. I will always makes sure that every bite I have keep my mouth close immediately.

What feeling do you get when you don't want to speak? Do you feel fear, ashamed, frustration? What thoughts come to mind when you are about to speak but stop?

• Friendly
Reactions: Gkst
Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Here my problem,

Not talking all the time should be a blessing. I tend to have the opposite problem. I'm always wanting to take back what I said because I tend to talk first and think later. The less a person speaks the less they have to ask for forgiveness.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Here my problem,

I think your English is clear; that is what matters.

It's harder for some people to keep quiet, but it's a good thing to learn. I'm sometimes guilty of speaking when I shouldn't have said anything, but I'm learning. Think of nice things you can say and practice that. My family did not say nice things very often so I am still trying to learn. And I'm in my seventies.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

Gkst

Jun 5, 2020
Bangkok
✟18,308.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Not talking all the time should be a blessing. I tend to have the opposite problem. I'm always wanting to take back what I said because I tend to talk first and think later. The less a person speaks the less they have to ask for forgiveness.
Thanks for your reply. Actually, It really makes me have a very delay response whensomeone talks to me. And they feel likes I ignore them. I afraid even when I eat, drink and brush my teeth. But however, it really makes me carefully thinking before speaking, as you said.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gkst

Jun 5, 2020
Bangkok
✟18,308.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I think your English is clear; that is what matters.
Thank you. I'm on the way learning english.

It's harder for some people to keep quiet, but it's a good thing to learn. I'm sometimes guilty of speaking when I shiouldn't have said anything, but I'm learning. Think of nice things you can say and practice that. My family did not say nice things very often so I am still trying to learn. And I'm in my seventies.
This has really makes me carefully think before speaking but it really makes my daily life uncomfortable. I means I afraid even when I brush my teeth. And alot of people feel like I ignore them, when I has answer so delay.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your reply. Actually, It really makes me have a very delay response whensomeone talks to me. And they feel likes I ignore them. I afraid even when I eat, drink and brush my teeth. But however, it really makes me carefully thinking before speaking, as you said.

One day we will have a perfect life with God, free of all those burdens. I look forward to seeing everyone there.

Upvote 0

Not Perfect

May 13, 2020
Kirksville
✟16,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I feel for you. I understand why other people are saying that this can be a blessing, but I think it is ultimately due to your OCD. Some people with OCD say things compulsively, and I guess being afraid to talk has its advantages compared to that, haha! But the mere fact that being slow to speak can have its own advantages does not mean that it is not creating problems for you. Hopefully, this tendency can become an advantage (if you can learn to be deliberate about what you say without being paralyzed by fear), but don't let that fact make you feel like your suffering is not valid, or that it's not OCD.

This is definitely a huge problem for many people with OCD. They are afraid of what they might say or do. The best advice I can give is to know that these thoughts come from your brain. You don't have to act on them. There is a major disconnect between your thoughts and your actions, and although it is harder to control our speech, it is still true that just because you think things, it does not mean that you will say them. Have you ever been on a really high place and gotten an inexplicable urge to jump? Or been driving and suddenly out of the blue you imagine swerving into the opposite lane? Most people have. It doesn't mean you actually want to do those things; much less that you would ever act on those impulses.

I've had these types of fears too (though not nearly as bad as you seem to be having them). In my experience, you only really get over them when you realize that you are not obligated to act on your thoughts. When you have a bad or blasphemous thought, remind yourself, "I have control over myself. I can't control when these thoughts come, but I can control whether I act on them, whether I dwell on them, and how much I let them worry me". Ultimately, you have to trust in yourself; to know that you have control over the things you say (I know, easier said than done). But more importantly, you have to trust in God. Know that God will protect you and keep you from committing sins if you submit to him. And if you do slip up and say something, he will forgive you if you repent. Take comfort in verses like 1 Corinthians 10:13 ("No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it."), Psalm 34:19 ("The righteous person may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all"), 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 ("May God himself, the God of peace, strengthen you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do it."), Psalm 121:3 ("He will not let your foot slip -- he who watches over you will not slumber"). I also find Psalm 23 and Psalm 103 comforting.

It is important to face these fears head on in a constructive manner. Try to address your fear of speaking in small increments. Read the Word as much as possible, and try to apply it when you speak. Death and life are in the power of the tongue, so try to speak life. Proverbs 12:25 says, "Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad". I believe that saying good things and using your words to bless others and reaffirm your beliefs can actually relieve some of your anxiety. Look for opportunities to help people by speaking. Perhaps share encouraging verses, ask people about their interests, or give compliments. Pray from Psalm 19:14, Psalm 141:3, and Ephesians 4:15. Pray that God will help keep you from sinning in speech, and forgive you when you slip up. And above all, remember, it's not you; it's OCD!

Sorry for the super long answer, haha. BTW, your English is fine; I understand you perfectly well. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Not Perfect

May 13, 2020
Kirksville
✟16,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
One last thing (sorry, I'm not good at being concise). Maybe a good exercise to help you face this fear would be to read out loud from the Bible without reading, rehearsing, or thinking about the passage first. Start small; maybe one verse at a time. When nothing bad happens and you don't say anything blasphemous, your fear will lose some of its power. Then, you can go with longer and longer passages, as your anxiety allows. Then, find a friend who understands your disorder, and have short conversations about what you've read. Make the conversations longer or decrease the amount of pauses between things you say as you are able. The more you practice, and nothing bad happens, the less intense your fear will be.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One last thing (sorry, I'm not good at being concise). Maybe a good exercise to help you face this fear would be to read out loud from the Bible without reading, rehearsing, or thinking about the passage first. Start small; maybe one verse at a time. When nothing bad happens and you don't say anything blasphemous, your fear will lose some of its power. Then, you can go with longer and longer passages, as your anxiety allows. Then, find a friend who understands your disorder, and have short conversations about what you've read. Make the conversations longer or decrease the amount of pauses between things you say as you are able. The more you practice, and nothing bad happens, the less intense your fear will be.
This! Practice doing the opposite of what OCD wants - which means speaking even when you're afraid to. I think you know this already, but of course it's very hard to say no to our compulsions. But with God's help, you can work on "disobeying" this fear! :)

Upvote 0

Gkst

Jun 5, 2020
Bangkok
✟18,308.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I feel for you. I understand why other people are saying that this can be a blessing, but I think it is ultimately due to your OCD. Some people with OCD say things compulsively, and I guess being afraid to talk has its advantages compared to that, haha! But the mere fact that being slow to speak can have its own advantages does not mean that it is not creating problems for you. Hopefully, this tendency can become an advantage (if you can learn to be deliberate about what you say without being paralyzed by fear), but don't let that fact make you feel like your suffering is not valid, or that it's not OCD.

This is definitely a huge problem for many people with OCD. They are afraid of what they might say or do. The best advice I can give is to know that these thoughts come from your brain. You don't have to act on them. There is a major disconnect between your thoughts and your actions, and although it is harder to control our speech, it is still true that just because you think things, it does not mean that you will say them. Have you ever been on a really high place and gotten an inexplicable urge to jump? Or been driving and suddenly out of the blue you imagine swerving into the opposite lane? Most people have. It doesn't mean you actually want to do those things; much less that you would ever act on those impulses.

I've had these types of fears too (though not nearly as bad as you seem to be having them). In my experience, you only really get over them when you realize that you are not obligated to act on your thoughts. When you have a bad or blasphemous thought, remind yourself, "I have control over myself. I can't control when these thoughts come, but I can control whether I act on them, whether I dwell on them, and how much I let them worry me". Ultimately, you have to trust in yourself; to know that you have control over the things you say (I know, easier said than done). But more importantly, you have to trust in God. Know that God will protect you and keep you from committing sins if you submit to him. And if you do slip up and say something, he will forgive you if you repent. Take comfort in verses like 1 Corinthians 10:13 ("No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it."), Psalm 34:19 ("The righteous person may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all"), 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 ("May God himself, the God of peace, strengthen you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do it."), Psalm 121:3 ("He will not let your foot slip -- he who watches over you will not slumber"). I also find Psalm 23 and Psalm 103 comforting.

It is important to face these fears head on in a constructive manner. Try to address your fear of speaking in small increments. Read the Word as much as possible, and try to apply it when you speak. Death and life are in the power of the tongue, so try to speak life. Proverbs 12:25 says, "Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad". I believe that saying good things and using your words to bless others and reaffirm your beliefs can actually relieve some of your anxiety. Look for opportunities to help people by speaking. Perhaps share encouraging verses, ask people about their interests, or give compliments. Pray from Psalm 19:14, Psalm 141:3, and Ephesians 4:15. Pray that God will help keep you from sinning in speech, and forgive you when you slip up. And above all, remember, it's not you; it's OCD!

Sorry for the super long answer, haha. BTW, your English is fine; I understand you perfectly well. ;)
Thanks so much for your reply. Now, I so much better. Actually, my fear develops to somethings worse. But that times, It really hard to not worried, I means like now I found out that I can repent and it not consider an unpardonable sin. So, now my fear change to somethings worse. I feel likes after I overcome the fear, another one worse begin to come.

Upvote 0

Gkst

Jun 5, 2020
Bangkok
✟18,308.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
This! Practice doing the opposite of what OCD wants - which means speaking even when you're afraid to. I think you know this already, but of course it's very hard to say no to our compulsions. But with God's help, you can work on "disobeying" this fear! :)
I try to ignore my worried and complusion, and it help. But it develops to another fear. Ocd is really a bad loop. However, I believe that one day I going to be completely heal.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I try to ignore my worried and complusion, and it help. But it develops to another fear. Ocd is really a bad loop. However, I believe that one day I going to be completely heal.
Those of us with OCD have the tendency to keep jumping from one theme to another, because our brains "want" to have something to worry about. That's why we need to train ourselves to not respond the way OCD wants us to. As we practice ignoring those temptations to obsess and do our compulsions, our minds get stronger and our OCD gets weaker and weaker. So although in many cases OCD may not disappear entirely, if we work on it, we can definitely lessen its impact on our lives. With God's help, we have the power to gain a lot of victory over it!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Not Perfect

May 13, 2020
Kirksville
✟16,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I understand that. It's so hard; it's like my brain doesn't like to be at peace. :(

I guess it can serve as an encouragement, in a way. When a new fear develops, I try to stop it right away by telling myself, "Your brain is just coming up with a new obsession. No need to worry; it's just like all of the other ones." But that's easier said than done.

Upvote 0