• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Hate Speech...

Discussion in 'General Politics' started by Carl Emerson, Jan 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilverBear

SilverBear Well-Known Member

+1,933
    Non-Denom
    Widowed
    like all rights free speech comes with limitations. Slander, incitement of violence, yelling fire in a crowded theater to just name a few.

But again free speech is protected as rightly so but free speech doesn't protect people of the consequences of what they say.

the same Constitution also protects people on the receiving end of hate speech.

2. NerdGirl

NerdGirl The untamed daughter

+3,023
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    It's difficult to believe that this is a serious question.

3. Redwingfan9

Redwingfan9 Well-Known Member

+1,502
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    Slander/libel are another matter altogether. Likewise, speech which can cause imminent danger can be prohibited (yelling fire in a theater etc.) Those exceptions are incredibly narrow though. The Brandenburg case I cited earlier severely limits the ability of the state to prosecute people for incitement to violence. That's why Trump's rally comments last week will never be prosecuted. (Impeachment is a political not a legal matter)

The Constitution does not protect people from speech. It does not protect anyone from hurt feelings. It affords you the right to ignore speech you don't like or to counter it with your own speech. It doesn't protect you from hearing it in the first place.

4. NerdGirl

+3,023
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    With words. Loud, disruptive, mechanical noises, like from a bullhorn, especially aimed at children, is a different issue.

Please quote me a single law about hate speech that involves children, since that's your best example.

We're talking about two different things here. You're incorrect. I'm talking about the perception of the victim, not the perpetrator.

5. NerdGirl

+3,023
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Which part of the Constitution addresses being a victim of hate speech?

6. SilverBear

+1,933
    Non-Denom
    Widowed
    Why?

but it does protect people from harassment and intimidation either as individuals or as groups. This includes symbolic actions like burning a cross or malicious misinformation that are meant to make specific victims fear for their well being or incite discrimination, even if the cross-burners don’t actually plan to carry through with the threat See Virginia v. Black 2003

7. SilverBear

+1,933
    Non-Denom
    Widowed
    i find it difficult to believe you don't take your own claim seriously enough to back it up

8. SilverBear

+1,933
    Non-Denom
    Widowed
    so lets take the bull horn out of the situation.

why are you not supporting this man's right to engage in free speech?

best? its an example.

and in the above scenario the children are not the target of any hate speech they are just the audience

perceived member of a minority refers to the perception of the person engaging in the hate. Someone don't have to be gay to be on the receiving end of anti-gay hate those spreading the hate just have to think their target is gay

9. SilverBear

+1,933
    Non-Denom
    Widowed
    you can start with the equal protection clause...

10. Confused-by-christianity

Confused-by-christianity Well-Known Member

+215
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    Have you stated what you think? (I'll admit I haven't read the posts of the 4 pages). What was your answer to the original thread question?

11. SilverBear

+1,933
    Non-Denom
    Widowed
    maybe you should read

12. Confused-by-christianity

+215
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    Or maybe you should just cut and paste it? Who's to say.

13. NerdGirl

+3,023
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I am. If he were standing on a street corner holding a sign, that'd be fine.

They ARE the target.

Your post: "so if someone were to park out in front of your child's school and use a bull horn to shout obscenities and claims about how the members of the neighboring synagogue are going to come into the school to select a child from each class to sacrifice"

Your examples and arguments are poor.

14. NerdGirl

+3,023
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    And how exactly does that relate to hate speech?

15. NerdGirl

+3,023
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    But surely, if you had time to write it once, you have time to write it again! Per your own logic about my past posts ^_^

16. SilverBear

+1,933
    Non-Denom
    Widowed
    still at the school and still talking

he isn't threatening the children. He is doing a public service by warning the children about what those people in the synagogue have planned.

Why aren't you supporting his right to free speech?

17. SilverBear

+1,933
    Non-Denom
    Widowed
    to use an old metaphor your right to swing your fist ends when it connects to my face

18. SilverBear

+1,933
    Non-Denom
    Widowed
    and you still haven't backed them up. at this point i can only assume that your claims are all false.

19. Confused-by-christianity

+215
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    Do we get an answer to the question from you?

20. NerdGirl

+3,023
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    And that doesn't answer the question at all :oldthumbsup: I'm beginning to see what JohnDB meant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.