• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Hate Speech...

Discussion in 'General Politics' started by Carl Emerson, Jan 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilverBear

SilverBear Well-Known Member

+2,021
    Non-Denom
    Widowed
    the claim that preachers are being incarcerated is the only disingenuous thing that has cropped up in this thread

2. SilverBear

+2,021
    Non-Denom
    Widowed
    so if someone were to park out in front of your child's school and use a bull horn to shout obscenities and claims about how the members of the neighboring synagogue are going to come into the school to select a child from each class to sacrifice you would be supportive of them and how they are exercising their right to free speech?

3. Sparagmos

Sparagmos Well-Known Member

+6,423
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Have you read the legislation and descriptions of what hate speech is? It’s pretty specific.

4. NerdGirl

NerdGirl The untamed daughter

+3,026
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Not always founders and leaders. One of the groups mentioned only cited quotes from the "Director of Analysis" (whatever that is). Another of the groups in the list has a whopping 5 known members (obviously a HUGE threat). And much of the information is outdated. A quick google of a few of the groups listed reveal no peep in the public sector for a decade or more.

SPLC is...amusing.

I mean...
    upload_2021-1-13_15-11-59.png

Yeah, I just chuckle and shake my head at SPLC.

5. NerdGirl

+3,026
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    It's really not, from some of the policies I've read. Granted, they can differ vastly depending on what country you're talking about, and in the U.S. which state you're in.

6. SilverBear

+2,021
    Non-Denom
    Widowed
    what group is that?
    what is the magic number a group must have to be a threat?

what groups?

7. NerdGirl

+3,026
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I'm going by the link YOU posted, lol. Did you even read through it and learn about the claims in it? I'd encourage you to do some research as I did :)

Also, entirely unrelated, but I love your avatar. It's beautiful.

8. SilverBear

+2,021
    Non-Denom
    Widowed
    i haven't posted a link here

you made several claims and you are being asked to back them up with what amounts to same very basic information.

9. JohnDB

JohnDB Regular Member

+1,252
    Christian
    Married
    He isn't interested in honest dialogue...

10. NerdGirl

+3,026
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Shiver me timbers! You're right, it's the link Jamsie posted. Feel free to read it :)

They can all be backed up by reading the link that was posted and doing some quick research. I'm at work (I work full time) so I can't double back and re-read and repost everything all the time.

11. NerdGirl

+3,026
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Ah, well. Still a beautiful avatar :D

12. SilverBear

+2,021
    Non-Denom
    Widowed
    you had plenty of time to research them before.

13. SilverBear

+2,021
    Non-Denom
    Widowed
    BUMP

so if someone were to park out in front of your child's school and use a bull horn to shout obscenities and claims about how the members of the neighboring synagogue are going to come into the school to select a child from each class to sacrifice you would be supportive of them and how they are exercising their right to free speech?

14. SilverBear

+2,021
    Non-Denom
    Widowed
    i'm not the one making claims about preachers being incarcerated

15. NerdGirl

+3,026
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Funny how that works! You can tell my clients that they need to stop giving me work to do so I can research it again :)

16. NerdGirl

+3,026
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I might investigate whether they could be removed for being a public nuisance for harassing school children with a bullhorn.

Bit different than adults quietly sharing their own opinions on Twitter. If they wanted to have their own online group about fantasizing about sacrificing children, then as gross and creepy as that is, they should be allowed to do that.

I am not a supporter of the concept of "hate speech". This term typically revolves around "perceived minority groups", so children really don't fit into that demographic.

17. Sparagmos

Sparagmos Well-Known Member

+6,423
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    C’mon, John. You’re a reasonable guy and surely you don’t believe that.

People speak out everyday, here on CF, and from the pulpit and in the streets, against homosexuality and are not “likely” to become incarcerated. In fact, I’m not aware of anyone being incarcerated for that.

18. Redwingfan9

Redwingfan9 Well-Known Member

+1,502
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    The fact is that here in America what you're describing is protected free speech. Anyone can stand on the sidewalk and say whatever they want, handout pamphlets etc. The only thing that may legitimately run afoul of the law is the blowhorn and then only if there is a noise ordinance which would prohibit amplified noise and speech.

Otherwise, if someone wants to stand on the sidewalk and criticize people they are free to. They're even free to walk very close to the line of inciting violence pursuant to Brandenburg v Ohio 395 US 444 89 S. Ct. 1827; 23 L.Ed.2d 430 (1969). Likewise, in Cohen v California 403 US 15; 91 S. Ct. 1780; 29 L.Ed.2d 284 (1971) even if someone is swearing that speech is protected. In Cohen the defendant wore a jacket or tshirt that said "F*** the draft" and was charged under an obscenity law. The Supreme Court ruled this was unconstitutional pursuant to the first amendment. (For the record I only included the obsenity because it was germaine to the Supreme Court case)

Point being, we don't have hate speech laws in this country because hate speech is protected by the first amendment. I dare say we don't want such laws either because the term hate is incredibly subjective. We shouldn't want the state determining what speech is hate and therefore banned and what speech is not hate and therefore allowed.

19. SilverBear

+2,021
    Non-Denom
    Widowed
    who told them the first time?

20. SilverBear

+2,021
    Non-Denom
    Widowed
    i thought it was unreasonable to have laws against upsetting people

read the scenario again

it usually involves hate lies and violence directed at a minority group but can include non minorities. Your thing with the word perceived involves the perception of the one engaging in the hate. Someone may believe that a Catholic family is Jewish and spray paint a swastika on their home is still hate speech even if they got the target of their hate wrong

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.