Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
There is one thing I am curious about, if non-believers don't want the government showing any specific religion as something they favor. Then shouldn't that mean it applies to the president too?

Just as much as it applies to any other government employee.

Sometimes presidents will mention God. Or wear a cross. Or attend a special church service...etc.

If a President wears a unobtrusive cross pendant, is religious and goes to church every Sunday with his family, that's fine. He's not doing that in his role as President, but simply as who he is.

There's a big difference between that and...

VforVendettaNorsefire.jpg

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just as much as it applies to any other government employee.

If a President wears a unobtrusive cross pendant, is religious and goes to church every Sunday with his family, that's fine. He's not doing that in his role as President, but simply as who he is.

There's a big difference between that and...

VforVendettaNorsefire.jpg

eudaimonia,

Mark

Lets face it, some politicians go to church or reference God, because it is the image they want to portray, in a country with a lot of christian voters.

Could you ever imagine a president being elected who claimed he didn't believe in God in the United States? I would love to know how many prominent politicians are really non-believers, but just claim they are because of the image they need to create.

Upvote 0

yasic

Part time poster, Full time lurker
Sep 9, 2005
✟14,558.00
Faith
Atheist
There is one thing I am curious about, if non-believers don't want the government showing any specific religion as something they favor. Then shouldn't that mean it applies to the president too? Sometimes presidents will mention God. Or wear a cross. Or attend a special church service...etc. Why not form them to not be religious since their religion might get in the way of their job?

The president is a person and has every right to their personal beliefs. Something non-invasive such as wearing a cross hurts nobody, only reveals their personal faith, and only demonstrates that they take seriously what they believe. Likewise, if a president wants to attend church or pray or do other religious services during their personal time, it is not my business.

I do, however, take issue if they would want to do things like pray in congress, or take oaths with the phrase 'so help me god' as I do feel this is crossing the line into intertwining religion with the state.

Upvote 0

elephunky

Previously known as dgirl1986
Nov 28, 2007
Perth, Western Australia
✟14,441.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
I have read and seen on the news about atheists especially attempt to take Christ out of Christmas. I love Christmas and I think the atheists who are doing this are being arrogant. Now here is my question: Has anyone tried to infringed upon your beliefs about Christmas and about religion in general? In other words has it happened to you, your family, or your school or place of work personally? Have you worn a cross and it caused a controversy at your place of work? Was the cross considered a distraction where you live or work? You see, I don't know of anyone who has been told that they can't celebrate Christmas, pray, sing religious songs, pass out tracts, or even wear a cross. I wonder if that has happened to you on a personal level and how much effect did it have on you? Did it strengthen your faith in God or have you just lost your faith in humanity?

I think it is arrogant to expect non christians to celebrate jesus on a day that is actually a holiday for different religious and non religious people for different reasons.

I made christmas mean something else to me this year as I do not subscribe to christian beliefs, but I have no objection to others who do. I do object to people pushing their beliefs on others though (on both sides).

Upvote 0

GenetoJean

Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Delaware
Visit site
✟18,940.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Whoa really? That confuses me.

I was asked to not attend a church but to have lots of one on one meetings with the preacher to try to "cure" me.

Apparently, I made people uncomfortable even though I promised to dress as male, not use the bathroom, or go to any gender specific meetings.

Upvote 0

elephunky

Nov 28, 2007
Perth, Western Australia
✟14,441.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
I was asked to not attend a church but to have lots of one on one meetings with the preacher to try to "cure" me.

Oh I see -.- not cool. Not cool at all. What would jesus do? Probably not that.

Upvote 0

Lik3

Nov 21, 2011
South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hopefully I wasn't trying to stereotype atheists or those who don't believe or are not sure about the existence of God or have differing beliefs. I don't mean to say that all atheists are arrogant. I was basing that comment on personal experience. I have had issues with atheists online in the past, but offline they were okay. The belief systems were just different, that is all. I do wonder if the media exaggerates the "taking down the Ten Commandments" and "taking Christ out of Christmas" argument. You see, I live in a small town where there are a lot of churches but we have a minority of people who aren't Baptists or Methodists. There are a few Muslims, Jews, Catholics, and Jehovah's Witnesses in our town and/or state. I haven't heard any problems between the religious. When I was growing up, everyone's beliefs were respected, regardless if we all agreed with them or not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

elephunky

Nov 28, 2007
Perth, Western Australia
✟14,441.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Christmas is a pagan holiday anyway, any Christian getting up in arms over this needs to have a sit down and read up on some history.

Pretty much.

I used to start the whole debate on where christmas came from but I do not bother anymore. I figure each person has the right to celebrate it however they want to.

Upvote 0