Has the Holy Spirit explicitly led you to keep the Sabbath?

clefty

Sep 17, 2020
Chattanooga
✟16,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your avoiding the question because you know why I’m asking. Many of God’s commandments have been amended or abolished. Burnt offerings, circumcision, observing the Passover, writing the Torah, and the Saturday Sabbath. You go ahead and take Ellen White’s opinion on the matter over the entire Christian Church, but don’t expect me and every other Christian to place her beliefs over the beliefs of the churches established by the apostles because I can’t find Ellen Whites name listed anywhere in the scriptures as being an apostle of Christ. If anything she seems more of a Judaizer from what I see according to Paul’s teachings.

Paul taught to establish the Law our faith does NOT make void.

Demonstrated it with his life..."copy me as I copy Christ" He repeated on Sabbaths...

What you have against Ellen and the Jews?...

Ha...good band name that...

Ellen and the Jews...lol

do you even know what Judaizing means?

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟663,750.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'll pray for you Bob. I see you are on the Sabbath forums a lot. There must be something pressing in your heart to be on a forum dedicated to Sabbath if you don't believe in it. I am not saying this to be sarcastic, I will pray for you.
Yes, I am on the Sabbath and Law a lot. I was a SDA for forty years. During those years I started seeing cracks in the foundation of the church's beliefs. It took me many years to resolve the issues. I am here so that those who are involved with Sabbath observing churches and especially the SDA church do not have to figure all those cracks on their own. Allow me to help all of you to see the real truth. The big crack is that no one is under any obligation to observe a day and I have proven that point void over and over again. During all the years I have been on forums I have only had two SDAs that have succumbed to their preconceived beliefs. I have no idea how many lurkers have been influenced by my posts. It is very hard to accept new light, I know it was for me and I am so thankful that the Holy Spirit kept prodding me to study the real truth and staying the course on the forums.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟481,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I am on the Sabbath and Law a lot. I was a SDA for forty years. During those years I started seeing cracks in the foundation of the church's beliefs. It took me many years to resolve the issues. I am here so that those who are involved with Sabbath observing churches and especially the SDA church do not have to figure all those cracks on their own. Allow me to help all of you to see the real truth. The big crack is that no one is under any obligation to observe a day and I have proven that point void over and over again. During all the years I have been on forums I have only had two SDAs that have succumbed to their preconceived beliefs. I have no idea how many lurkers have been influenced by my posts. It is very hard to accept new light, I know it was for me and I am so thankful that the Holy Spirit kept prodding me to study the real truth and staying the course on the forums.
My question is do you think Sabbath keepers will not be saved?

Upvote 0

clefty

Sep 17, 2020
Chattanooga
✟16,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Maybe you can find Ellen White being named an apostle of Jesus and commanded to establish His church. I can’t seem to locate that in my bible.

Even the Catholic church is in a “civil war” as TOO much change occurred....the irony...

and some pious people wish to return to prior traditions...like Latin mass...

but NOT return too far back...that would be Greek or Aramaic...lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0

clefty

Sep 17, 2020
Chattanooga
✟16,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

"Here are they that keep ALL but ONE of the commandments of Yah...and almost the faith OF Yahushua"

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You are kind of contradicting yourself here. People of the Church are still "man" Ellen White is a "man" The Bible is the only scripture that matters. Ellen White was taking scripture from the Bible, you don't have to believe Ellen White, that's okay, but I'll take what the Bible teaches over what any church teaches if it is going against the teachings of the Bible. The Bible clearly gives a warning about changing anything.

A Warning
Revelations 22:18 For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; 19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

No the body of Christ is the Church and those who abide in Him are His Church. If you say man is the church then your saying Buddhists, Muslims, atheists and everyone are Christ’s Church. Obviously that’s not the case. And in reference to your Revelation quote, first of all no one has added or removed anything from the Bible except the RCC and second, that verse was in reference to the book of Revelation not the Bible that was not even compiled when Revelation was written.

And who wrote the New Testament? The church did. Who told you which books were inspired by God? The church did. If it wasn’t for the church you wouldn’t have a Bible.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟481,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No the body of Christ is the Church and those who abide in Him are His Church. If you say man is the church then your saying Buddhists, Muslims, atheists and everyone are Christ’s Church. Obviously that’s not the case. And in reference to your Revelation quote, first of all no one has added or removed anything from the Bible except the RCC and second, that verse was in reference to the book of Revelation not the Bible that was not even compiled when Revelation was written.

And who wrote the New Testament? The church did. Who told you which books were inspired by God? The church did. If it wasn’t for the church you wouldn’t have a Bible.
So you're saying the RCC is above God? The Church is made up of man. When it goes against the scripture and teaching of the Bible, that is not the church of God, that's a church of man.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
NOT the way He asked us to...or SENT His Son to demonstrate and teach us HOW to...

Yeah we’ll have fun keeping your 613 commandments as Jesus did if you intend to live by His example. You act as if the 10 commandments was all He kept. So if Jesus wrote a Torah why haven’t you written one yet? If Jesus observed the Passover why don’t you? If Jesus offered burnt sacrifices why don’t you? Your not following His example very well if your not keeping the 613 commandments He kept.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So you're saying the RCC is above God? The Church is made up of man. When it goes against the scripture and teaching of the Bible, that is not the church of God, that's a church of man.

First of all, no, the RCC was excommunicated from the Catholic Church in 1054AD. Second of all your still ignoring that the New Testament scriptures were written by the church. God didn’t grab a pen and start writing the gospels or the epistles. He inspired men in the church to do that. Jesus never wrote a single verse in the scriptures it was the church that wrote them. You think God’s inspiration has ceased in His church? What’s the point of establishing a church that would fall to heresy less than 300 year later? Was it so that Ellen White would finally show up 1800 years later to finally set everyone straight? You wouldn’t know anything about Christ, His apostles, or the gospel if it weren’t for the church who gave you God’s word thru divine inspiration and fought to preserve it for the last 2000 years.

Upvote 0

clefty

Sep 17, 2020
Chattanooga
✟16,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
First of all, no, the RCC was excommunicated from the Catholic Church in 1054AD. Second of all your still ignoring that the New Testament scriptures were written by the church. God didn’t grab a pen and start writing the gospels or the epistles. He inspired men in the church to do that. Jesus never wrote a single verse in the scriptures it was the church that wrote them. You think God’s inspiration has ceased in His church? What’s the point of establishing a church that would fall to heresy less than 300 year later? Was it so that Ellen White would finally show up 1800 years later to finally set everyone straight? You wouldn’t know anything about Christ, His apostles, or the gospel if it weren’t for the church who gave you God’s word thru divine inspiration and fought to preserve it for the last 2000 years.

Ellen didn’t invent Sabbath

Or bring it to that denomination known as SDA

And already in Acts there were those distorting and counterfeiting Him His ways

Acts 20: 27For I have not hesitated to proclaim to you the whole will of God. 28Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, a which he bought with his own blood. b 29I know that after I leave, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock. 30Even from your own number men will arise and distort the truth in order to draw away disciples after them. 31So be on your guard! Remember that for three years I never stopped warning each of you night and day with tears.

Maybe Sunday Ham started?

I mean Paul did say he did NOT hesitate to proclaim the WHOLE WILL of Yah...

Would be a good time to teach about yummy Sunday Ham...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟481,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Bible says to use Jesus as our example, Jesus kept the seventh-day Sabbath. The New testament was largely written by Jesus disciples who also kept the Sabbath. Not sure what your issue is with Ellen White, she did not create the Sabbath or a day of rest, God did from creation. Ellen reminded us of what was forgotten, but she didn't make the law or write it on stone like God did with His own finger.

Here's some history that might be of use on the change in Gods Holy day.

How The Sabbath Was Changed | Sabbath Truth

No Change Documented in the Bible
In both Old and New Testament there is not a shadow of variation in the doctrine of the Sabbath. The seventh day, Saturday, is the only day ever designated by the term Sabbath in the entire Bible. Not only was Jesus a perfect example in observing the weekly seventh-day Sabbath, but all His disciples followed the same pattern after Jesus had gone back to heaven. Yet no intimation of any change of the day is made. The apostle Paul, who wrote pages of counsel about lesser issues of Jewish and Gentile conflicts, had not one word to say about any controversy over the day of worship. Circumcision, foods offered to idols, and other Jewish customs were readily challenged by early Gentile Christians in the church, but the weightier matter of weekly worship never was an issue. Why? For the simple reason that no change was made from the historic seventh day of Old Testament times, and from creation itself. Had there been a switch from the Sabbath to the first day of the week, you can be sure the controversy would have been more explosive than any other to those Jewish Christians.

History Gives Some Clues
If the change did not take place in the Scriptures or through the influence of the apostles, when and how did it happen? In order to understand this, we must understand what happened in that early church soon after the apostles passed off the stage of action. Paul had prophesied that apostasy would take place soon after his departure. He said there would be a falling away from the truth. One doesn’t have to read very far in early church history to see just how that prophecy was fulfilled. Gnosticism began to rise up under the influence of philosophers who sought to reconcile Christianity with Paganism. At the same time, a strong anti-Jewish sentiment became more widespread. Very speculative interpretations began to appear regarding some of the great doctrines of Christ and the apostles.

The Conversion of Constantine
constantine.jpg
By the time Constantine was established as the emperor of Rome in the early fourth century, there was a decided division in the church as a result of all these factors. I think most of you know that Constantine was the first so-called Christian emperor of the Roman Empire. The story of his conversion has become very well known to students of ancient history. He was marching forth to fight the battle of Milvian Bridge when he had some kind of vision, and saw a flaming cross in the sky. Underneath the cross were the Latin words meaning “In this sign conquer.” Constantine took this as an omen that he should be a Christian, and his army as well. He declared all his pagan soldiers to be Christians, and became very zealous to build up the power and prestige of the church. Through his influence great blocks of pagans were taken into the Christian ranks. But, friends, they were still pagan at heart, and they brought in much of the paraphernalia of sun-worship to which they continued to be devoted. We mentioned in a previous broadcast about the adoption of Christmas and Easter into the church. At the same time, many other customs were Christianized and appropriated into the practice of the church as well.

Sun Worship
You see, at that time the cult of Mithraism or sun-worship was the official religion of the Roman Empire. It stood as the greatest competitor to the new Christian religion. It had its own organization, temples, priesthood, robes—everything. It also had an official worship day on which special homage was given to the sun. That day was called “The Venerable Day of the Sun.” It was the first day of the week, and from it we get our name Sunday. When Constantine pressed his pagan hordes into the church they were observing the day of the sun for their adoration of the sun god. It was their special holy day. In order to make it more convenient for them to make the change to the new religion, Constantine accepted their day of worship, Sunday, instead of the Christian Sabbath which had been observed by Jesus and His disciples. Remember that the way had been prepared for this already by the increasing anti-Jewish feelings against those who were accused of putting Jesus to death. Those feelings would naturally condition many Christians to swing away from something which was held religiously by the Jews. It is therefore easier to understand how the change was imposed on Christianity through a strong civil law issued by Constantine as the Emperor of Rome. The very wording of that law, by the way, can be found in any reliable encyclopedia. Those early Christians, feeling that the Jews should not be followed any more than necessary, were ready to swing away from the Sabbath which was kept by the Jews.

Historical Accounts
Some of you may be greatly surprised by the explanation I’ve just made, and I’m not going to ask you to believe it blindly. I have before me a multitude of authorities to verify what has been said. Here are historians, Catholics and Protestants, speaking in harmony about what actually took place in the fourth century. After Constantine made the initial pronouncement and legal decree about the change, the Catholic Church reinforced that act in one church council after another. For this reason, many, many official statements from Catholic sources are made, claiming that the church made the change from Saturday to Sunday. But before I read those statements I shall refer to one from the Encyclopedia Britannica under the article, Sunday. Notice: “It was Constantine who first made a law for the proper observance of Sunday and who appointed that it should be regularly celebrated throughout the Roman empire.” Now you can check these statements in your own encyclopedias or go to the library and look into other historical sources.

Here is a statement from Dr. Gilbert Murray, M.A., D.Litt., LLD, FBA, Professor of Greek at Oxford University, who certainly had no ax to grind concerning Christian thought on the Sabbath question. He wrote: “Now since Mithras was the sun, the Unconquered, and the sun was the Royal Star, the religion looked for a king whom it could serve as a representative of Mithras upon earth. The Roman Emperor seemed to be clearly indicated as the true king. In sharp contrast to Christianity, Mithraism recognized Caesar as the bearer of divine grace. It had so much acceptance that it was able to impose on the Christian world its own sun-day in place of the Sabbath; its sun’s birthday, the 25th of December, as the birthday of Jesus.” History of Christianity in the Light of Modern Knowledge.

Looking a bit further into historical statements, Dr. William Frederick says: “The Gentiles were an idolatrous people who worshipped the sun, and Sunday was their most sacred day. Now in order to reach the people in this new field, it seems but natural as well as necessary to make Sunday the rest day of the church. At this time it was necessary for the church to either adopt the Gentile’s day or else have the Gentiles change their day. To change the Gentiles day would have been an offense and stumbling block to them. The church could naturally reach them better by keeping their day.” There it is, friends, a clear explanation by Dr. Frederick as to how this change happened. Another statement very parallel to this one is found in the North British Review.

But let’s move on to a statement from the Catholic Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 153. “The church after changing the day of rest from the Jewish Sabbath or seventh-day of the week to the first, made the third commandment refer to Sunday as the day to be kept holy as the Lord’s day.”

Catholicism Takes Credit for the Change
st-peters-square.jpg
Now a quote from the Catholic Press newspaper in Sidney, Australia. “Sunday is a Catholic institution and its claims to observance can be defended only on Catholic principles. From the beginning to end of Scripture there is not a single passage that warrants the transfer of weekly public worship from the last day of the week to the first.”

The Catholic Mirror of September 23, 1894, puts it this way: “The Catholic Church for over one thousand years before the existence of a Protestant by virtue of her divine mission, changed the day from Saturday to Sunday.”

To point up the claims we’re talking about, I want to read from two Catechisms. First, from the Convert’s Catechism of Catholic Doctrine by Reverend Peter Giermann. “Question: Which is the Sabbath day? Answer: Saturday is the Sabbath day. Question: Why do we observe Sunday instead of Saturday? Answer: We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church in the Council of Laodicea transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday.”

Second, from Reverend Steven Keenan’s Doctrinal Catechism we read this: “Question: Have you any other way of proving that the Church has power to institute festivals of precept? Answer: Had she not such power, she could not have done that in which all modern religionists agree with her; she could not have substituted the observance of Sunday, the first day of the week, for the observance of Saturday, the seventh day; a change for which there is no Scriptural authority.”

Then from Cardinal Gibbons’ book, The Question Box, p.179, “If the Bible is the only guide for the Christian, then the Seventh-day Adventist is right in observing Saturday with the Jew. Is it not strange that those who make the Bible their only teacher should inconsistently follow in this matter the tradition of the Catholic Church?”

One more statement taken from the book, The Faith of Millions, p. 473. “But since Saturday, not Sunday, is specified in the Bible, isn’t it curious that non-Catholics who profess to take their religion directly from the Bible and not from the Church, observe Sunday instead of Saturday? Yes, of course, it is inconsistency but this change was made about fifteen centuries before Protestantism was born, and by that time the custom was universally observed. They have continued the custom even though it rests upon the authority of the Catholic Church and not upon an explicit text from the Bible. That observance remains as a reminder of the Mother Church from which the non-Catholic sects broke away like a boy running away from home but still carrying in his pocket a picture of his mother or a lock of her hair.”

That is a most interesting statement, is it not, friends? And it is a very true statement. There is some inconsistency somewhere along the line, because we have examined the statements of history, and you can check them for yourself in any library. I’m not reading anything one-sided here at all. I’ve tried to give you an unbiased picture. Although we have seen the claims made by the Catholic Church in their publications, we are not reading them to cast any reflection upon anyone, by any means. We are simply bringing you a recital of what has been written and what claims have been made.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Psssst...Sabbath keeping is not salvific...

It’s not? That’s not what Ellen White taught in her books.

The Sabbath will be the great test of loyalty, for it is the point of truth especially controverted. When the final test shall be brought to bear upon men, then the line of distinction will be drawn between those who serve God and those who serve Him not. While the observance of the false sabbathin compliance with the law of the state, contrary to the fourth commandment, will be an avowal of allegiance to a power that is in opposition to God, the keeping of the true Sabbath, in obedience to God’s law, is an evidence of loyalty to the Creator. While one class, by accepting the sign of submission to earthly powers, receive the mark of the beast, the other choosing the token of allegiance to divine authority, receive the seal of God (The Great Controversy, p. 605).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Absolutely! :)

Then why did Ellen White say this?

The Sabbath will be the great test of loyalty, for it is the point of truth especially controverted. When the final test shall be brought to bear upon men, then the line of distinction will be drawn between those who serve God and those who serve Him not. While the observance of the false sabbathin compliance with the law of the state, contrary to the fourth commandment, will be an avowal of allegiance to a power that is in opposition to God, the keeping of the true Sabbath, in obedience to God’s law, is an evidence of loyalty to the Creator. While one class, by accepting the sign of submission to earthly powers, receive the mark of the beast, the other choosing the token of allegiance to divine authority, receive the seal of God (The Great Controversy, p. 605).

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟663,750.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My memory is good. This scripture has been provided to you several times by other posters but you choose not to listen. If scripture provided by God's own finger is not good enough for you, there's not much to add. Nothing was changed in the new covenant, especially unchanging God and the
scripture He wrote with his own finger. Jesus asked us to keep the old covenant
10 commandments but in our hearts and minds. I am pretty sure you know this. Let me ask you this question. If you don't believe in Gods Holy Sabbath why do hang around on the Sabbath forums? I'm not a believer in the Catholic teachings and I'm not hanging around those forums. Do you believe Sabbath keepers are going to go to Hell?
No, I do not believe your Sabbath keeping will send you to hell. But it is a fact that your church teaches that I will go to hell because I don't. I do believe that you wrote that you would provide scripture from the New Testament that we have to keep the Sabbath and now you have reneged. You then said that you would do so after we answered your post which I have done now two times. What does that say about your integrity?

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟481,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Then why did Ellen White say this?

You're getting confused with what clefty was saying. Keeping Sabbath is not the only road to salvation, its only part of it.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟481,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No, I do not believe your Sabbath keeping will send you to hell. But it is a fact that your church teaches that I will go to hell because I don't. I do believe that you wrote that you would provide scripture from the New Testament that we have to keep the Sabbath and now you have reneged. You then said that you would do so after we answered your post which I have done now two times. What does that say about your integrity?

Bob, thanks for the answer. I am sorry for your experience with the SDA church. I think to be fair, your experience is not everyone's experience and its certainly not mine or the other 2+ million members. If our sole purpose is to bring people to God wouldn't your time be better served trying to persuade other non-believers into believing instead of hanging around on the Sabbath forums, who in your opinion, just have the wrong day (despite your admission there is no scriptural evidence that Sunday keeping is a day that God Blessed or asked us to keep Holy). It seems your reason for trying to persuade people to not keep God's Sabbath is a self-serving reason. If you don't think people who keep Sabbath will burn in hell, why don't spend your time bringing non-believers to God. Sabbath keepers already believe in God. Maybe something to pray about?

PS Also, I wrote once you provide scripture that God Blessed Sunday or made it Holy I would provide scripture on the new covenant. Since you could not do that I only referenced it. There's not much of a point to provide the scriptures, you know it but refuse to believe it. @LoveGodsWord has provided detailed scriptures for you multiple times.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Bible says to use Jesus as our example, Jesus kept the seventh-day Sabbath. The New testament was largely written by Jesus disciples who also kept the Sabbath. Not sure what your issue is with Ellen White, she did not create the Sabbath or a day of rest, God did from creation. Ellen reminded us of what was forgotten, but she didn't make the law or write it on stone like God did with His own finger.

Here's some history that might be of use of the change in Gods Holy day.

How The Sabbath Was Changed | Sabbath Truth

No Change Documented in the Bible
In both Old and New Testament there is not a shadow of variation in the doctrine of the Sabbath. The seventh day, Saturday, is the only day ever designated by the term Sabbath in the entire Bible. Not only was Jesus a perfect example in observing the weekly seventh-day Sabbath, but all His disciples followed the same pattern after Jesus had gone back to heaven. Yet no intimation of any change of the day is made. The apostle Paul, who wrote pages of counsel about lesser issues of Jewish and Gentile conflicts, had not one word to say about any controversy over the day of worship. Circumcision, foods offered to idols, and other Jewish customs were readily challenged by early Gentile Christians in the church, but the weightier matter of weekly worship never was an issue. Why? For the simple reason that no change was made from the historic seventh day of Old Testament times, and from creation itself. Had there been a switch from the Sabbath to the first day of the week, you can be sure the controversy would have been more explosive than any other to those Jewish Christians.

History Gives Some Clues
If the change did not take place in the Scriptures or through the influence of the apostles, when and how did it happen? In order to understand this, we must understand what happened in that early church soon after the apostles passed off the stage of action. Paul had prophesied that apostasy would take place soon after his departure. He said there would be a falling away from the truth. One doesn’t have to read very far in early church history to see just how that prophecy was fulfilled. Gnosticism began to rise up under the influence of philosophers who sought to reconcile Christianity with Paganism. At the same time, a strong anti-Jewish sentiment became more widespread. Very speculative interpretations began to appear regarding some of the great doctrines of Christ and the apostles.

The Conversion of Constantine
constantine.jpg
By the time Constantine was established as the emperor of Rome in the early fourth century, there was a decided division in the church as a result of all these factors. I think most of you know that Constantine was the first so-called Christian emperor of the Roman Empire. The story of his conversion has become very well known to students of ancient history. He was marching forth to fight the battle of Milvian Bridge when he had some kind of vision, and saw a flaming cross in the sky. Underneath the cross were the Latin words meaning “In this sign conquer.” Constantine took this as an omen that he should be a Christian, and his army as well. He declared all his pagan soldiers to be Christians, and became very zealous to build up the power and prestige of the church. Through his influence great blocks of pagans were taken into the Christian ranks. But, friends, they were still pagan at heart, and they brought in much of the paraphernalia of sun-worship to which they continued to be devoted. We mentioned in a previous broadcast about the adoption of Christmas and Easter into the church. At the same time, many other customs were Christianized and appropriated into the practice of the church as well.

Sun Worship
You see, at that time the cult of Mithraism or sun-worship was the official religion of the Roman Empire. It stood as the greatest competitor to the new Christian religion. It had its own organization, temples, priesthood, robes—everything. It also had an official worship day on which special homage was given to the sun. That day was called “The Venerable Day of the Sun.” It was the first day of the week, and from it we get our name Sunday. When Constantine pressed his pagan hordes into the church they were observing the day of the sun for their adoration of the sun god. It was their special holy day. In order to make it more convenient for them to make the change to the new religion, Constantine accepted their day of worship, Sunday, instead of the Christian Sabbath which had been observed by Jesus and His disciples. Remember that the way had been prepared for this already by the increasing anti-Jewish feelings against those who were accused of putting Jesus to death. Those feelings would naturally condition many Christians to swing away from something which was held religiously by the Jews. It is therefore easier to understand how the change was imposed on Christianity through a strong civil law issued by Constantine as the Emperor of Rome. The very wording of that law, by the way, can be found in any reliable encyclopedia. Those early Christians, feeling that the Jews should not be followed any more than necessary, were ready to swing away from the Sabbath which was kept by the Jews.

Historical Accounts
Some of you may be greatly surprised by the explanation I’ve just made, and I’m not going to ask you to believe it blindly. I have before me a multitude of authorities to verify what has been said. Here are historians, Catholics and Protestants, speaking in harmony about what actually took place in the fourth century. After Constantine made the initial pronouncement and legal decree about the change, the Catholic Church reinforced that act in one church council after another. For this reason, many, many official statements from Catholic sources are made, claiming that the church made the change from Saturday to Sunday. But before I read those statements I shall refer to one from the Encyclopedia Britannica under the article, Sunday. Notice: “It was Constantine who first made a law for the proper observance of Sunday and who appointed that it should be regularly celebrated throughout the Roman empire.” Now you can check these statements in your own encyclopedias or go to the library and look into other historical sources.

Here is a statement from Dr. Gilbert Murray, M.A., D.Litt., LLD, FBA, Professor of Greek at Oxford University, who certainly had no ax to grind concerning Christian thought on the Sabbath question. He wrote: “Now since Mithras was the sun, the Unconquered, and the sun was the Royal Star, the religion looked for a king whom it could serve as a representative of Mithras upon earth. The Roman Emperor seemed to be clearly indicated as the true king. In sharp contrast to Christianity, Mithraism recognized Caesar as the bearer of divine grace. It had so much acceptance that it was able to impose on the Christian world its own sun-day in place of the Sabbath; its sun’s birthday, the 25th of December, as the birthday of Jesus.” History of Christianity in the Light of Modern Knowledge.

Looking a bit further into historical statements, Dr. William Frederick says: “The Gentiles were an idolatrous people who worshipped the sun, and Sunday was their most sacred day. Now in order to reach the people in this new field, it seems but natural as well as necessary to make Sunday the rest day of the church. At this time it was necessary for the church to either adopt the Gentile’s day or else have the Gentiles change their day. To change the Gentiles day would have been an offense and stumbling block to them. The church could naturally reach them better by keeping their day.” There it is, friends, a clear explanation by Dr. Frederick as to how this change happened. Another statement very parallel to this one is found in the North British Review.

But let’s move on to a statement from the Catholic Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 153. “The church after changing the day of rest from the Jewish Sabbath or seventh-day of the week to the first, made the third commandment refer to Sunday as the day to be kept holy as the Lord’s day.”

Catholicism Takes Credit for the Change
st-peters-square.jpg
Now a quote from the Catholic Press newspaper in Sidney, Australia. “Sunday is a Catholic institution and its claims to observance can be defended only on Catholic principles. From the beginning to end of Scripture there is not a single passage that warrants the transfer of weekly public worship from the last day of the week to the first.”

The Catholic Mirror of September 23, 1894, puts it this way: “The Catholic Church for over one thousand years before the existence of a Protestant by virtue of her divine mission, changed the day from Saturday to Sunday.”

To point up the claims we’re talking about, I want to read from two Catechisms. First, from the Convert’s Catechism of Catholic Doctrine by Reverend Peter Giermann. “Question: Which is the Sabbath day? Answer: Saturday is the Sabbath day. Question: Why do we observe Sunday instead of Saturday? Answer: We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church in the Council of Laodicea transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday.”

Second, from Reverend Steven Keenan’s Doctrinal Catechism we read this: “Question: Have you any other way of proving that the Church has power to institute festivals of precept? Answer: Had she not such power, she could not have done that in which all modern religionists agree with her; she could not have substituted the observance of Sunday, the first day of the week, for the observance of Saturday, the seventh day; a change for which there is no Scriptural authority.”

Then from Cardinal Gibbons’ book, The Question Box, p.179, “If the Bible is the only guide for the Christian, then the Seventh-day Adventist is right in observing Saturday with the Jew. Is it not strange that those who make the Bible their only teacher should inconsistently follow in this matter the tradition of the Catholic Church?”

One more statement taken from the book, The Faith of Millions, p. 473. “But since Saturday, not Sunday, is specified in the Bible, isn’t it curious that non-Catholics who profess to take their religion directly from the Bible and not from the Church, observe Sunday instead of Saturday? Yes, of course, it is inconsistency but this change was made about fifteen centuries before Protestantism was born, and by that time the custom was universally observed. They have continued the custom even though it rests upon the authority of the Catholic Church and not upon an explicit text from the Bible. That observance remains as a reminder of the Mother Church from which the non-Catholic sects broke away like a boy running away from home but still carrying in his pocket a picture of his mother or a lock of her hair.”

That is a most interesting statement, is it not, friends? And it is a very true statement. There is some inconsistency somewhere along the line, because we have examined the statements of history, and you can check them for yourself in any library. I’m not reading anything one-sided here at all. I’ve tried to give you an unbiased picture. Although we have seen the claims made by the Catholic Church in their publications, we are not reading them to cast any reflection upon anyone, by any means. We are simply bringing you a recital of what has been written and what claims have been made.

What a load of garbage about Sunday being the day of worship for Apollos. What it fails to recognize is that pagans worships pagan gods every day of the week. How do you think each day of the week got its name? Every day of the week is named after a pagan god. By this logic one could just as easily say that Sabbatarians worship the god of Saturn because that’s what Saturday was named for. There’s nothing in the Christian church that involves worshipping apollos or any other pagan god.

Upvote 0