Has the Catholic Church become the church that Jesus wanted or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Please correct me if wrong but I "heard" that another reason for celibacy is that a priest could not engage in sex within a certain amount of time prior to celebrating mass. Since it is celebrated every day....well you get the picture. It may be pure bunk.....

I have heard something like that too

there were a lot of reasons, in the West priestly celibacy was the norm long before it was the rule

Jesus was celibate and St. Paul says it is better to remain a virgin if you are able to
so that is the brass tacks of it, yeah there were other developments and factors along the way
but is the jist of it

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,067,094.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Guys, lets put this straight.

I posted that list as i seen it elsewhere. It has some things in it that caught my eye. I will endeavour to make my own 'list' of issues / doubts i have and then we can go from there.

I thank you all for contributing so far. I am a Catholic and nobody will be able to throw me off my Catholic Horse by just a few words or a list of issues!!

All i am doing is seeking out the 'truth' for myself. I have these questions and it is far more healthier to bring them into the open than to let them fester inside of me. What better place to discuss them than on here with a good bunch of Christian people!

God bless you all

Ahhh!

John 10:16
And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

There are seven folds to the flock of the Christ according to Revelation 1-3...

Ephesus - Messianic - Peter
Smyrna - Martyr - Paul
Pergamos - Orthodox - Constantine
Thyatira - Catholic - Charlemange
Sardis - Protestant - Martin Luther
Philadelphia - Revived - John Wesley
Laodicea - Charismatic - DL Moody, the first to get rich off ministry.

And are not they becoming one? Seeking dialog with one another?

Reactions: Goatee
Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Bounce away....
But I will ask you, based on where you are, both physically and spiritually, do you feel you are being drawn closer to Messiah?

I love Jesus. He is my life. However sinful i have been and am, i always turn to Jesus. Strange but i really do feel as though i 'NEED' to seek more. To search out these issues i have with the Catholic church. I want to find answers. I hope God will help me.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
That would be a real improvement. First, in that it would address specific items you want addressed. Second that it wouldn't be a laundry list from anti-Catholic bigots.

I'm going to mention two, nay three books that have been helpful for me.

1.) 'Catholicism and Fundamentalism: The Attack on "Romanism" by "Bible Christians"' by Karl Keating.

2.) 'Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic' by David Currie.

3.) 'Crossing the Tiber: Evangelical Protestants Discover the Historical Church' by Steve Ray.

Each of these books will answer many of the issues on that stupid list. The last two are by people who grew up in a similar mentality to the folks who invented that stupid list. All three books are readily available. And those are just starters.

Superb!!

Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Please correct me if wrong but I "heard" that another reason for celibacy is that a priest could not engage in sex within a certain amount of time prior to celebrating mass. Since it is celebrated every day....well you get the picture. It may be pure bunk.....

It was a very ancient tradition in the Church that even married clergy were to remain chaste, and they and their wives were to live as brother and sister.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I haven't seen any that are right. So yes everything on those lists are wrong or written in deceptive language.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some can be looked at more closely for investigation

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
A celibate priesthood is not part of the discipline of any other church (all of which allow for married men to become priests; the Eastern Catholics also do this), though I have read in numerous places that this is one of the oldest continual traditions kept by the Roman Church in particular (older than any of the major schisms, as seen by the canons of the Synod of Elvira which I posted earlier...that was in the first quarter of the fourth century). I want to say that based on that, I'd rather it not be messed with, and yet at the same time I do have to wonder why so many RC priests seem to have trouble with this (as opposed to, the celibate priests found in other traditions, including my own). Surely they know what they are getting into when they begin the process of becoming RC priests, as it's not as though this is a new discipline in their church. Is there something deeply wrong with the structure or formation processes of RC seminaries, as some (Catholic) sources I have read allege? I've never been, and obviously it's past time for me since I'm not in that church anymore, but it is distressing because of the effect it has on people. If I were a bishop overseeing one of these places, I would want to take a hard look at how men are prepared and vetted. Just as a counterpoint (not perfect, but it's the one I personally experienced), a few years ago when I was in the Monastery of St. Shenouda the Archimandrite, a Coptic Orthodox monastery in upstate New York, I remember having a conversation with its single full-time resident because I wondered why they have this relatively large complex (with a chapel, a church, sleeping quarters for several people, showers, etc.) if they're just going to have one guy in it. Y'know...it's a monastery, so where are all the other monks? Brother Antonios told me that it was originally intended purely as a monastery, but that more was added on to it to make it a fitting place for retreat once it became obvious that finding other monks to fill it with is more difficult than finding non-monk pilgrims. And indeed, the church on its grounds was quite full all of the time I was there (about two weeks), even though myself and one other layperson (a recent arrival to America from the Netherlands). At first I was kind of sad, because I figured that this was a lonely life for the one brother who was there, but after thinking about it a bit I realized that what he was really telling me was there no one else who had been there yet was up to the task of actually being a monk. They had had various people come there with an intent to stay, but it didn't work out because it actually takes a lot of dedication and a very strong constitution to live that way every single day of your life, forever, until you die. I mean, I lived a very soft, modified version of it there as a guest for only about two weeks, and...yeah...I'd be a terrible monk. I'd be a terrible anything.

So I wonder if something similar might be going on with the RCC in its priesthood, but they are perhaps not yet ready to leave the building empty, so to speak? You could have seminarians who actually should not continue but do because otherwise there wouldn't be whatever number of vocations they have, and things would probably fall into some degree of financial ruin, and so on. I do know that the RCC, as the world's single most visible church (media-wise) gets a lot of flak from secular society already about why it has so much money, so much property, so much everything, so it's probably important to...y'know...actually do something with the resources that it does have, including I guess (in a way) the people who really want to be priests...whether they should be or not.

I dunno. Maybe that's a totally off-base comparison, but it's something I thought of when I got back from the monastery (as it's not just a Catholic problem; there are certainly some priests of the Coptic Orthodox Church who should be doing something else instead!). And also about how for years before their rejuvenation in the 1960s under the direction of the modern Coptic (de facto) saint Matthew the Poor, many of our monasteries in the desert had only a handful of elderly monks in them, and were decaying. Now they are booming throughout Egypt, with hundreds of novices, and people -- monastics and laypeople -- are really immersing themselves in the spirituality of the desert, and by all accounts Coptic monasticism is probably now in better shape overall than it has been at any time in the past several hundred years. Now you can go to Italy, the heart of Roman Catholicism, and see Coptic monasteries where tiny children chant the Midnight Praises in Italian! What?!

So maybe right now you guys are going through some struggles in this area, but experience tells me that if there are people who want to do things right, and those people are put in positions where they can live in a way that others can see and emulate (as opposed to being shut away in some far off corner of the Church, where they can't influence anything), then you might be surprised at how few people it really takes to get things going. Remember in St. Athanasius' day, it was pretty much just him against the world, which was collapsing to the Arian heresy. Maybe you guys need your own St. Athanasius or Matthew the Poor, or even just someone to stand up and say "This thing's broken. Let's stop letting people in who clearly shouldn't be here, because doing so is further entrenching the problem."

I mean, I know you guys like to publish stats on the number of priests in formation or added or whatever each year, but is there a corresponding statistic of those who are turned away? Sometimes that sort of thing helps to sort the wheat from the chaff. When I was first on the road to converting to Orthodoxy I was warned that some people might make things difficult for me, partly out of ignorance or distrust ("What's that guy doing here? He's not from our ethnic group!"), but also partly because we do not want to receive just anyone who a few years down the road will wander off into whatever their next thing is. So they make it harder to get in so that it's harder to leave, because especially if you're a Westerner like me and only used to Western Christianity, it's a huge change of life (from fasting one or two days a year to over two hundred, a daily prayer rule that you're actually expected to keep that isn't just a few memorized prayers, but all of the psalms, the doxologies, etc. of the Agpeya, and so on). Priests should also be prepared to "take off the old man" too, right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Some can be looked at more closely for investigation
Okay. They have been closely investigated, that is the point. Maybe you haven't investigated them closely enough, which is why I am questioning you perceived need to post a list that has no foundational facts to back it up.

Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Plenty of priests have been called and failed at celibacy!
Plenty of folks called to marriage have failed as well. Should fidelity in marriage be thrown to the curve? Priests are called and fail because THEY are human, and gave into sin, instead of giving in to the grace God gives them.

Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A celibate priesthood is not part of the discipline of any other church (all of which allow for married men to become priests; the Eastern Catholics also do this), though I have read in numerous places that this is one of the oldest continual traditions kept by the Roman Church in particular (older than any of the major schisms, as seen by the canons of the Synod of Elvira which I posted earlier...that was in the first quarter of the fourth century). I want to say that based on that, I'd rather it not be messed with, and yet at the same time I do have to wonder why so many RC priests seem to have trouble with this (as opposed to, the celibate priests found in other traditions, including my own). Surely they know what they are getting into when they begin the process of becoming RC priests, as it's not as though this is a new discipline in their church. Is there something deeply wrong with the structure or formation processes of RC seminaries, as some (Catholic) sources I have read allege? I've never been, and obviously it's past time for me since I'm not in that church anymore, but it is distressing because of the effect it has on people. If I were a bishop overseeing one of these places, I would want to take a hard look at how men are prepared and vetted. Just as a counterpoint (not perfect, but it's the one I personally experienced), a few years ago when I was in the Monastery of St. Shenouda the Archimandrite, a Coptic Orthodox monastery in upstate New York, I remember having a conversation with its single full-time resident because I wondered why they have this relatively large complex (with a chapel, a church, sleeping quarters for several people, showers, etc.) if they're just going to have one guy in it. Y'know...it's a monastery, so where are all the other monks? Brother Antonios told me that it was originally intended purely as a monastery, but that more was added on to it to make it a fitting place for retreat once it became obvious that finding other monks to fill it with is more difficult than finding non-monk pilgrims. And indeed, the church on its grounds was quite full all of the time I was there (about two weeks), even though myself and one other layperson (a recent arrival to America from the Netherlands). At first I was kind of sad, because I figured that this was a lonely life for the one brother who was there, but after thinking about it a bit I realized that what he was really telling me was there no one else who had been there yet was up to the task of actually being a monk. They had had various people come there with an intent to stay, but it didn't work out because it actually takes a lot of dedication and a very strong constitution to live that way every single day of your life, forever, until you die. I mean, I lived a very soft, modified version of it there as a guest for only about two weeks, and...yeah...I'd be a terrible monk. I'd be a terrible anything.

So I wonder if something similar might be going on with the RCC in its priesthood, but they are perhaps not yet ready to leave the building empty, so to speak? You could have seminarians who actually should not continue but do because otherwise there wouldn't be whatever number of vocations they have, and things would probably fall into some degree of financial ruin, and so on. I do know that the RCC, as the world's single most visible church (media-wise) gets a lot of flak from secular society already about why it has so much money, so much property, so much everything, so it's probably important to...y'know...actually do something with the resources that it does have, including I guess (in a way) the people who really want to be priests...whether they should be or not.

I dunno. Maybe that's a totally off-base comparison, but it's something I thought of when I got back from the monastery (as it's not just a Catholic problem; there are certainly some priests of the Coptic Orthodox Church who should be doing something else instead!). And also about how for years before their rejuvenation in the 1960s under the direction of the modern Coptic (de facto) saint Matthew the Poor, many of our monasteries in the desert had only a handful of elderly monks in them, and were decaying. Now they are booming throughout Egypt, with hundreds of novices, and people -- monastics and laypeople -- are really immersing themselves in the spirituality of the desert, and by all accounts Coptic monasticism is probably now in better shape overall than it has been at any time in the past several hundred years. Now you can go to Italy, the heart of Roman Catholicism, and see Coptic monasteries where tiny children chant the Midnight Praises in Italian! What?!

So maybe right now you guys are going through some struggles in this area, but experience tells me that if there are people who want to do things right, and those people are put in positions where they can live in a way that others can see and emulate (as opposed to being shut away in some far off corner of the Church, where they can't influence anything), then you might be surprised at how few people it really takes to get things going. Remember in St. Athanasius' day, it was pretty much just him against the world, which was collapsing to the Arian heresy. Maybe you guys need your own St. Athanasius or Matthew the Poor, or even just someone to stand up and say "This thing's broken. Let's stop letting people in who clearly shouldn't be here, because doing so is further entrenching the problem."

I mean, I know you guys like to publish stats on the number of priests in formation or added or whatever each year, but is there a corresponding statistic of those who are turned away? Sometimes that sort of thing helps to sort the wheat from the chaff. When I was first on the road to converting to Orthodoxy I was warned that some people might make things difficult for me, partly out of ignorance or distrust ("What's that guy doing here? He's not from our ethnic group!"), but also partly because we do not want to receive just anyone who a few years down the road will wander off into whatever their next thing is. So they make it harder to get in so that it's harder to leave, because especially if you're a Westerner like me and only used to Western Christianity, it's a huge change of life (from fasting one or two days a year to over two hundred, a daily prayer rule that you're actually expected to keep that isn't just a few memorized prayers, but all of the psalms, the doxologies, etc. of the Agpeya, and so on). Priests should also be prepared to "take off the old man" too, right?
I want to start out with as saying a very good post! The only issue I would say is that the problem that you speak of (I'm assuming it is the abuse scandals) is that this isn't just a Catholic issue, and has nothing to do with the requirement of celibacy. Child abuse is a social scandal, that affects every single demographic, and the Catholic Church is no where unique or by percentage has a greater number of predators than society at large. I live in an area predominately Protestant and from the local news over the last 10 or so years of paying attention to such things, one would think that Protestants are the one with issue. Not belittling the situation at all. The predators need to be dealt with and our children kept safe.

The Catholic Church though has made significant changes in practice because of what has occurred, from doing a much better job vetting potential priests and deacons, to having everyone who is involved with working with children in their ministries to go through child abuse deterring education, which I have been through personally, and no it doesn't sugarcoat the priest scandals. Orginally it may not have took this issue head on, but it is now; and I wish that our public education systems would follow suite, for in my opinion from past experiences I've had, that is the primary place where children are being abused by adults.

IMO the reason why you heard of it more on the Catholic end, is like you said, we are the biggest fish in town, and it seems that there ain't too media folks who know that there is another religion out there except for Islam and Judaism.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟615,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Then they were not called, just because a man is a Priest does not necessarily mean they were called.
So if someone fails that indicates they were not really "called"? And please explain who is doing the calling as I am not sure of the Catholic meaning of that word in this context......I am assuming called means called by the HS.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So if someone fails that indicates they were not really "called"?

Yes, that is what I am saying

And please explain who is doing the calling as I am not sure of the Catholic meaning of that word in this context......I am assuming called means called by the HS.

Yes, called by Christ through the Holy Spirit Catholic or not.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟615,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes, that is what I am saying

Yes, called by Christ through the Holy Spirit Catholic or not.

Act 18:4 Every Sabbath he would speak in the synagogue, trying to persuade both Jews and Greeks.
Act 18:5 But when Silas and Timothy arrived from Macedonia, Paul devoted himself entirely to the word as he emphatically assured the Jews that Jesus is the Messiah.
Act 18:6 But when they began to oppose him and insult him, he shook out his clothes in protest and told them, "Your blood be on your own heads! I am innocent. From now on I will go to the gentiles.
Paul failed to convince the Jews that Jesus was the Messiah. Does that mean he was not called by Christ through the Holy Spirit?

Reactions: Erose
Upvote 0

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Act 18:4 Every Sabbath he would speak in the synagogue, trying to persuade both Jews and Greeks.
Act 18:5 But when Silas and Timothy arrived from Macedonia, Paul devoted himself entirely to the word as he emphatically assured the Jews that Jesus is the Messiah.
Act 18:6 But when they began to oppose him and insult him, he shook out his clothes in protest and told them, "Your blood be on your own heads! I am innocent. From now on I will go to the gentiles.
Paul failed to convince the Jews that Jesus was the Messiah. Does that mean he was not called by Christ through the Holy Spirit?

Now you know I wasn't referring to that at all. Try not to move the goal post.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Erose: I very purposely did not mention the sexual abuse scandals, as that is something more grave than a failure of maintaining celibacy (which is already grave, when that's part of the discipline of your church). I think the issue is more general than that, because when we're looking at a discipline that is unique to Rome, the question can be understandably asked what is such a problem now concerning this discipline that was not so in the earlier times of the same church. And that is something that has an analogue in every church, outside of the issue of celibacy (which is a non-starter for the OO, EO, and most Protestants). You can find plenty in the desert fathers, for instance, where they talk about how the novice monks of the current generation cannot withstand strong discipline as their fathers did. So yes...I think it is a wider issue.

(It should be said, in keeping with the last post, that in those cases the discipline that caused the young monks to stumble was not done away with or ignored...rather many became examples of what not to do instead, so that others might know how to handle such trials.)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.