Has the Catholic Church become the church that Jesus wanted or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I have often thought about this.

Has it grown into an ugly monster or not? Has it been true to the words of Jesus or has it gone its own way?

I am sometimes confused by these things. I have read so many good Catholic books and watched many good Catholic videos. I still keep asking myself the above questions.

How do we know the church has been heading in the right direction all these years? By the Holy Spirit? Through Tradition?

I see what the church has become and there are quite a few parts of it that i dont like. Maybe i will list them later.

Anyone else have the same questions?

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The humans of the church will always have issues. Because the institution is run by humans there will be failings. But as far as Scripture and Sacred Tradition that remains unchanged.

So the Church remains a hospital for sinners. And in the hospital the doctors are not immune to the same illness of sin. But we always have recourse to the Divine physician working through the Church.

Upvote 0

johnnyc

I'm Home
Jul 20, 2011
SC
✟8,131.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

No because Jesus Christ and His Church, the Catholic Church are One and the Same. If you are questioning the teachings of the Church then you are questioning Jesus. Especially when He said the gates of hell shall not prevail against His Church.

Always remember.....our first Pope denied Jesus three times and went a little off the rails. Then he wrote some pretty great encyclicals. :)

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
So is this thread a trap of sorts? I don't go to the "Catholic Forum" I go to the "New Posts" when I check the forums. I'm not here to troll.

It happens sometimes. The new posts or the trending threads or the active threads sections have threads from all over the forum.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
No because Jesus Christ and His Church, the Catholic Church are One and the Same. If you are questioning the teachings of the Church then you are questioning Jesus. Especially when He said the gates of hell shall not prevail against His Church.

Always remember.....our first Pope denied Jesus three times and went a little off the rails. Then he wrote some pretty great encyclicals. :)

But, are the same teachings that Jesus taught happening today or has it all got skewed / twisted over time?

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have often thought about this.

Has it grown into an ugly monster or not? Has it been true to the words of Jesus or has it gone its own way?

I am sometimes confused by these things. I have read so many good Catholic books and watched many good Catholic videos. I still keep asking myself the above questions.

How do we know the church has been heading in the right direction all these years? By the Holy Spirit? Through Tradition?

I see what the church has become and there are quite a few parts of it that i dont like. Maybe i will list them later.

Yes, I have the same questions. I would say the Catholic Church is somewhere between the "church Jesus wanted" and the "ugly monster". Given that, it is closer to the "church Jesus wanted" than any religion I know. But it has, both historically and more recently, some "ugly monster" aspects to it. I think the higher up the institutional ladder you go, the uglier it is. Pope Francis is trying to get rid of that ugliness in Rome, but there is a lot of opposition from the more worldly members of the Curia and other members of the Vatican "in crowd". Many have been seduced by desire for wealth and power, and will fight not to lose their privileged lifestyle. THAT part is not the church Jesus intended.

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To me, i feel it is not as Jesus intended. If we go back to the beginning of the church, things have changed!
The core of it may still be there, but it has been buried and obscured by all that man has added since Jesus. Jesus would not recognize the Church of today as the one he intended, nor would any of the first apostles.

Reactions: Luke17:37
Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
The core of it may still be there, but it has been buried and obscured by all that man has added since Jesus. Jesus would not recognize the Church of today as the one he intended, nor would any of the first apostles.

Agreed. This is what i think. It seems to me that the 'church' not the 'people' but the 'Catholic Organization' seems to put itself way above Jesus. I see this in many things in the church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
But, are the same teachings that Jesus taught happening today or has it all got skewed / twisted over time?

to answer that question it has to be divided into three parts:
1. what is being taught
2. what is being learned
3. how are the teaching and the learning being acted out in the world today.

of the three the most vulnerable is the last-- how the teaching and learning is being acted out--
because as always, satan has, is, and will be comming against all three of those things.

That's why it's important to remember that we do have a final diagnosis from Jesus.
Satan looses.
Cling to that and don't be dismayed by the waves that rise above us, or the winds that roar,
or even that there's water in the bottom of the boat.
Inside the boat is still the safest place to be.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes, i love my faith but do get dismayed by my feelings about the Catholic church and how things just dont add up for me. Probably only little things but still, enough to give me doubts about how the church has developed since the day of Jesus.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I don't imagine you want a non-Catholic's input on this. But for an answer go to Scripture and see what Christ did (and how He felt) when He saw the Temple desecrated.

I dont mind any view if it is allowed.

Upvote 0

johnnyc

I'm Home
Jul 20, 2011
SC
✟8,131.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

That's the same question lol.....so I guess I will give you the same answer.....No because Jesus Christ and His Church, the Catholic Church are One and the Same. If you are questioning the teachings of the Church then you are questioning Jesus. Especially when He said the gates of hell shall not prevail against His Church.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.