Has Joel Osteen's preaching saved anyone?

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Unlike his critics, Joel Osteen doesn't take a salary from his church. He's no less deserving of the money from his book sales as a Christian film maker would be of the money from his movies.

Do you know how they market those books in such megachurches?

You have a captive audience to advertise those books every service, and the church themselves purchasing such books in vast quantities as rewards to that congregation for serving in various capacities or corporate gifts.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes and no. Whenever the Gospel is preached there is potential for souls to be saved but it’s God who does the saving irrespective of the person doing the preaching.

• Winner
Reactions: ViaCrucis
Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
You have a captive audience to advertise those books every service, and the church themselves purchasing such books in vast quantities as rewards to that congregation for serving in various capacities or corporate gifts.

How do you know that's what Joel Osteen does? And how many of Osteen's critics have made vast sums of money from book sales?

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do you know that's what Joel Osteen does? And how many of Osteen's critics have made vast sums of money from book sales?

As I have asked you, have you attended a megachurch for a period of time, to be able to witness this?

I have.

And I have not even mentioned cases where numerous members of the congregation directing their "tithe to the church" as checks written directly in the senior pastor's name, reasoning that since their senior pastor is not taking money directly from the church, they should help him directly.

Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
As I have asked you, have you attended a megachurch for a period of time, to be able to witness this?

I have.

And I have not even mentioned cases where numerous members of the congregation directing their "tithe to the church" as checks written directly in the senior pastor's name, reasoning that since their senior pastor is not taking money directly from the church, they should help him directly.

Again, I haven't seen any evidence that this applies to Joel Osteen.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again, I haven't seen any evidence that this applies to Joel Osteen.

Of course you will not see those kind of things happening in the video clips.

The point I am trying to make is this, whenever you hear a senior pastor telling people he is no longer "drawing a salary" from the church, take it with a pinch of salt

There are many ways to skin a cat.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
We've been through a pandemic in which over 600,000 Americans have died. We need a message of hope now perhaps more than ever before. It's better if people find that message of hope from Bible-based preaching than from secular sources that have no intent to honor God.

I have never heard Joel Osteen claim that if bad things happen to you in life, it’s a sign that your faith wasn’t genuine. Instead, he says keep on having faith and blessing other people until God uses your suffering to demonstrate His glory when your day of vindication comes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
Whether or not you like Joel Osteen's teachings, they didn't come from the New Thought or new age movements. Instead, they came from his father, John Osteen, a charismatic Baptist:
John Osteen - Wikipedia

While the New Thought movement started around the same time as the Pentecostal/charismatic movement, they are not one and the same.

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟580,112.00
Faith
Christian
A Christian can err and just needs to be corrected when he says there are many ways to Jesus he may not be denying the need to accept Jesus to be with God the Father and when Jesus said that He did not mean He is separate from the Father but one being with Him being His image and therefore Son but some may not have got chance to accept Jesus now but will later he might mean some non Christians who never had someone tell them about the gospel or could not know yet they seek the truth and follow what they know they follow their conscience which tells them there is a God they need to obey but I don’t know if it is possible one can not know if he seeks

people criticise him for not preaching the will of God I guess it is right because he should not call himself a pastor otherwise just to be a motivational speaker he did not teach people not to follow God but sought to encourage people who are in poverty how to get out Jesus did not say everyone had to be poor Paul said let everyone give as he prospers but not to have your heart set on riches to seek them first but you can’t blame him he is only harming himself others are supposed to listen to word of God which they can know the truth when they hear other pastors who follow the truth but it is mainly responsibility of people to follow God so other pastors can be helpful if they are following as bible says call no one on earth your teacher the pastor is only helpful in so far as he is following God which is why elders were chosen to be as shepherds but as brethren to help them as far as they see but not as teachers but them to test all things so that you can agree and receive instruction

it is required of those who preach the word of God not to seek to make profit for himself from the word of God as a prophet but to live a humble life not seek to be rich from word of God and to live with Jesus himself even if his focus in teaching is to help as a motivational speaker and not pastor

The bible says some hearing the word are choked by desires of other things and become fruitless

we need more people to encourage in following Jesus that is first priority but some may find it hard to be content as single and therefore they may not have the special gift of singleness and marriage is ok for them

Or marriage could also be good for some people it won’t keep them away from God though not required so not always wrong

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A Christian can err and just needs to be corrected when he says there are many ways to Jesus he may not be denying the need to accept Jesus to go to see the Father but some may not have got chance to accept Jesus now but will later he might mean some non Christians who never had someone tell them about the gospel or could not know yet they seek the truth and follow what they know they follow their conscience which tells them there is a God they need to obey but I don’t know if it is possible one can not know if he seeks

people criticise him for not preaching the will of God I guess it is right because he should not call himself a pastor otherwise just to be a motivational speaker he did not teach people not to follow God but sought to encourage people who are in poverty how to get out Jesus did not say everyone had to be poor Paul said let everyone give as he prospers but not to have your heart set on riches to seek them first but you can’t blame him he is only harming himself others are supposed to listen to word of God which they can know the truth when they hear other pastors who follow the truth but it is mainly responsibility of people to follow God so other pastors can be helpful if they are following as bible says call no one on earth your teacher the pastor is only helpful in so far as he is following God which is why elders were chosen to be as shepherds but as brethren to help them as far as they see but not as teachers but them to test all things so that you can agree and receive instruction

it is required of those who preach the word of God not to seek to make profit for himself from the word of God as a prophet but to live a humble life not seek to be rich from word of God and to live with Jesus himself even if his focus in teaching is to help as a motivational speaker and not pastor

The bible says some hearing the word are choked by desires of other things and become fruitless

we need more people to encourage in following Jesus that is first priority but some may find it hard to be content as single and therefore they may not have the special gift of singleness and marriage is ok for them

My main objection to his preaching is that he should make sure at the end of the sermon, when he lead people in the prayer for salvation, he should be leading them to confess 1 Cor 15:1-4, that "I believe that Christ died for my sins, and was buried and rose on the 3rd day."

I always wonder why he don't do that, instead of just leading them to declare "I repent of my sins".

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟580,112.00
Faith
Christian
I see your point but he does mention to accept Jesus but others may not have heard gospel so they may not know what that means and he should use opportunity to present the gospel for them to accept it but they have responsibility to learn about the gospel themselves to know who Jesus is but they may research his beliefs and he should be preaching the truth

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
What makes Joel Osteen different from prosperity Gospel teachers?

Osteen's sermons and writings are sometimes noted for promoting prosperity theology, or the prosperity gospel, a belief that material gain is a reward for pious Christians.[24][25][26][27][28][29][30] However, when asked if he is a prosperity teacher, Osteen responded that if prosperity means God wants people to be blessed and healthy and have good relationships, then he considers himself a prosperity teacher, but if it is about money, he does not. He has specifically stated that he never preaches about money because of the reputation of televangelists.[31] In an interview with The Christian Post on April 21, 2013, Osteen expressed his sentiments on being perceived as being part of the prosperity gospel. "I get grouped into the prosperity gospel and I never think it's fair, but it's just what it is. I think prosperity, and I've said it 1,000 times, it's being healthy, it's having great children, it's having peace of mind. Money is part of it; and yes, I believe God wants us to excel ... to be blessed so we can be a bigger blessing to others. I feel very rewarded. I wrote a book and sold millions of copies; and Victoria and I were able to help more people than we ever dreamed of. But when I hear the term prosperity gospel, I think people are sometimes saying, 'Well, he's just asking for money'."
Lakewood Church - Wikipedia

What did Joel Osteen do for the people of Houston after Hurricane Harvey, contrary to the media narrative?

On the evening of August 28, it was announced by Lakewood that it would open at noon the next day as an available shelter, opening to storm victims and emergency personnel on August 29.[38]

On August 15, 2018, the City of Houston and Mayor Sylvester Turner proclaimed a "Lakewood Church Day" in honor of Lakewood's assistance in reconstruction efforts across the Houston area.[44][45] It stated Lakewood has provided "assistance to more than 1,150 Houston-area families whose homes were damaged or destroyed by floodwaters" and bought "1.1 million dollars in building materials, furniture, appliances, and paid labor, as well as through the contribution of more than 2,500 volunteers".[46]
Lakewood Church - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
What I don't like about Joel Osteen is that his theology lacks substance, but that doesn't mean he's a heretic and a swindler.

While his theology might not be my own, at least it's Bible-based and, unlike his critics, he doesn't take a salary from his ministries.

He's good to hear when you need Christian motivation, but I wouldn't attend a church that had him as a pastor.

My ideal pastor would be more like John Piper. While Piper has a message of Christian hedonism, it's not all he talks about. Neither is Piper doctrinaire and joyless like John MacArthur.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I understand the reservations some have about teachers like Joel Osteen and Joyce Meyer, but if God is sovereign over salvation, can't God use their preaching to draw His elect

Surely each of those two has said at least one thing that is true in their lives. That is also true of non-Christian Jews, Mormons, JW's - there is at least some truth that each of those have in their teaching.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Different people are reached in different ways, with different kinds of presentations, for instance. The main criticism of Osteen and Meyer (I take it) is that they aren't 100% focused on explaining every doctrine of the Christian churches, but for many people they may be offering the introduction that is needed.

It's no secret that there are more than enough religious speakers who are either too detailed for people who are only beginning to be interested in the faith or else those speakers suffer from being unable to relate to ordinary people in their daily lives.

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Praise GOD for Joel and all that work for the lord through him. It took me not that long to search on just what GOOD Joel does. One site was posting the all the FACTS of just what Joel does do.. talk about SHOCKING! That man has made so much money NOT from the Church. That is NEVER talked about... man I so want to bring up the rest but....

That man has done more for the kingdom of God that I ever will (I PRAY I do more). I don't go out of my way to feed the poor. I don't give till it hurts sometimes..sorry didnt know that about him? I am of the light.. I have no desire to look at darkness. I sin...yet Christ always reminds me thats why He died. Odd HE is not doing this to anyone. That speaks volumes.

He is not here some of this falls in to gossip. He can't even defend himself. I Know of someone where thousands get saved every week...fact. How many have I lead the Christ this year alone.. last year...last 5 years? Maybe I need to focus on me and not what others do.. hmm

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Praise GOD for Joel and all that work for the lord through him. It took me not that long to search on just what GOOD Joel does. One site was posting the all the FACTS of just what Joel does do.. talk about SHOCKING! That man has made so much money NOT from the Church. That is NEVER talked about... man I so want to bring up the rest but....

That man has done more for the kingdom of God that I ever will (I PRAY I do more). I don't go out of my way to feed the poor. I don't give till it hurts sometimes..sorry didnt know that about him? I am of the light.. I have no desire to look at darkness. I sin...yet Christ always reminds me thats why He died. Odd HE is not doing this to anyone. That speaks volumes.

He is not here some of this falls in to gossip. He can't even defend himself. I Know of someone where thousands get saved every week...fact. How many have I lead the Christ this year alone.. last year...last 5 years? Maybe I need to focus on me and not what others do.. hmm

Do you know how one can get saved NOW if he is an unbeliever?

What does he need to believe in?

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Different people are reached in different ways, with different kinds of presentations, for instance. The main criticism of Osteen and Meyer (I take it) is that they aren't 100% focused on explaining every doctrine of the Christian churches, but for many people they may be offering the introduction that is needed.

Joyce Meyer's Battlefield of the Mind was a godsend. I'd read it before. But revisiting it revealed glaring problems that came to the fore. I don't agree with everything she says. But that teaching hit home and girded my loins for the battle to come and everything that followed. I wouldn't have the mind I have today without it.

~bella

Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0