Has Joel Osteen's preaching saved anyone?

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
I understand the reservations some have about teachers like Joel Osteen and Joyce Meyer, but if God is sovereign over salvation, can't God use their preaching to draw His elect unto Himself anyway, despite how questionable certain particulars of their theology might be?

Also, are there any contemporary preachers who focus on the power of positive thinking who don't have a questionable theology?

John Piper seems to be a positive preacher. His positivity is what originally attracted me to Calvinism.

This is the statement of faith from Osteen's church, which seems pretty standard to me:
About Lakewood Church

Are these the tears of a man who doesn't genuinely care about the people whose lives have been changed by his message?

Unlike his critics, Joel Osteen doesn't take a salary from his church. He's no less deserving of the money from his book sales as a Christian film maker would be of the money from his movies.

A good Calvinist would see this story as the work of God's providence in Joel Osteen's life:

When we were trying to acquire our current facility, the former Compaq Center, there was one man I really wanted to get on our team. We needed to have the Houston City Council members vote for us because it was a city-owned facility. This one man knew all the people in the city. He was very influential. I thought if we could just get him on board, then surely we would get the votes that we needed. I called and called, but for some reason, he wouldn't call me back. I knew friends who knew him. They put in a good word for me. Still nothing. At one point, we got word back that this man was actively against us. He wasn't in neutral; he was on the opposing team! At that point, I realized I couldn't make this happen in my own strength. I quit trying to manipulate things and trying to convince everybody. I said, "God, it's in Your hands. I know You already have the right people lined up. I know You already have it figured out. So God, I'm just going to stay in that place of peace."

We needed ten votes from the City Council members. Two days before the main vote, we only had nine. But, a young Jewish councilmember that had been against us for two years suddenly changed his mind and voted for us. It was his vote that gave us the victory.

He told me later, "Joel, you were very persuasive, but you were not the reason that I changed my mind." He went on to tell about this elderly Jewish lady that called him out of the blue. He hadn't spoken to her in over 20 years, but he had great respect for her. He grew up with her. She told him in no uncertain terms that he was to vote for Lakewood having the Compaq Center. He said, "It was her phone call that changed my mind."

Now, I couldn't make that happen in my own strength, but God already had somebody lined up that could make it happen. The amazing thing is that I didn't know the woman and still don't. I never talked to her, never asked her to call. That was the hand of God orchestrating it all.
If God Is For You

This seems to be the message of Joel Osteen, that just like the story of Joseph, God will use what the devil intended for your harm for your good.

Genesis 50:20
You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.

I have never heard him promise that Christians will never have suffering and adversity in life.

When it comes to teachers like Joel Osteen, who might not be from our tradition of Christianity, why not look at the words of scripture?

Mark 9
38 Now John answered Him, saying, “Teacher, we saw someone who does not follow us casting out demons in Your name, and we forbade him because he does not follow us.”
39 But Jesus said, “Do not forbid him, for no one who works a miracle in My name can soon afterward speak evil of Me. 40 For he who is not against us is on our side. 41 For whoever gives you a cup of water to drink in My name, because you belong to Christ, assuredly, I say to you, he will by no means lose his reward.

John 17
20 “I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; 21 that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me.

1 Corinthians 1
11 My brothers and sisters, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. 12 What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas”; still another, “I follow Christ.” 13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized in the name of Paul?

1 Corinthians 8:2-3
Anyone who claims to know all the answers doesn’t really know very much. But the person who loves God is the one whom God recognizes.

We've been through a pandemic in which over 600,000 Americans have died. We need a message of hope now perhaps more than ever before. It's better if people find that message of hope from Bible-based preaching than from secular sources that have no intent to honor God.

I have never heard Joel Osteen claim that if bad things happen to you in life, it’s a sign that your faith wasn’t genuine. Instead, he says keep on having faith and blessing other people until God uses your suffering to demonstrate His glory when your day of vindication comes.

Whether or not you like Joel Osteen's teachings, they didn't come from the New Thought or new age movements. Instead, they came from his father, John Osteen, a charismatic Baptist:
John Osteen - Wikipedia

While the New Thought movement started around the same time as the Pentecostal/charismatic movement, they are not one and the same.

What makes Joel Osteen different from prosperity Gospel teachers?

Osteen's sermons and writings are sometimes noted for promoting prosperity theology, or the prosperity gospel, a belief that material gain is a reward for pious Christians.[24][25][26][27][28][29][30] However, when asked if he is a prosperity teacher, Osteen responded that if prosperity means God wants people to be blessed and healthy and have good relationships, then he considers himself a prosperity teacher, but if it is about money, he does not. He has specifically stated that he never preaches about money because of the reputation of televangelists.[31] In an interview with The Christian Post on April 21, 2013, Osteen expressed his sentiments on being perceived as being part of the prosperity gospel. "I get grouped into the prosperity gospel and I never think it's fair, but it's just what it is. I think prosperity, and I've said it 1,000 times, it's being healthy, it's having great children, it's having peace of mind. Money is part of it; and yes, I believe God wants us to excel ... to be blessed so we can be a bigger blessing to others. I feel very rewarded. I wrote a book and sold millions of copies; and Victoria and I were able to help more people than we ever dreamed of. But when I hear the term prosperity gospel, I think people are sometimes saying, 'Well, he's just asking for money'."
Lakewood Church - Wikipedia

What did Joel Osteen do for the people of Houston after Hurricane Harvey, contrary to the media narrative?

On the evening of August 28, it was announced by Lakewood that it would open at noon the next day as an available shelter, opening to storm victims and emergency personnel on August 29.[38]

On August 15, 2018, the City of Houston and Mayor Sylvester Turner proclaimed a "Lakewood Church Day" in honor of Lakewood's assistance in reconstruction efforts across the Houston area.[44][45] It stated Lakewood has provided "assistance to more than 1,150 Houston-area families whose homes were damaged or destroyed by floodwaters" and bought "1.1 million dollars in building materials, furniture, appliances, and paid labor, as well as through the contribution of more than 2,500 volunteers".[46]
Lakewood Church - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Only God knows who's saved, and what contributed to that.

However, I recall when I was coming to faith, and also coming back at one point - things that imitated worldliness but had a godly message were a good gateway activity.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: ViaCrucis
Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Toynbee

Trump Won
Sep 22, 2011
✟40,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understand the reservations some have about teachers like Joel Osteen and Joyce Meyer, but if God is sovereign over salvation, can't God use their preaching to draw His elect unto Himself anyway, despite how questionable certain particulars of their theology might be?

Also, are there any contemporary preachers who focus on the power of positive thinking who don't have a questionable theology?
Philippians 1:15ff Some, to be sure, are preaching Christ even from envy and strife, but some also from good will; 16 the latter do it out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel; 17 the former proclaim Christ out of selfish ambition rather than from pure motives, thinking to cause me distress in my imprisonment. 18 What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed; and in this I rejoice.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I'm not a fan of Joel myself, however, I have a close personal friend that would answer yes to your question. I've also heard that his services are quite different before and after the cameras turn on.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

He needs to understand what gospel saves today, and its found in 1 Cor 15:1-4.

Repenting from your sins is not sufficient for salvation.

• Agree
Reactions: Toynbee
Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If there are any Christians in doubt as to Osteen's teaching, watch this:

P.S. "Motivational" preaching isn't necessarily CHRISTIAN preaching.

weird video, i couldn't hear Osteen deny Jesus Christ., and a whole lot of other people talking which had nothing to do with the title of the video.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Toynbee

Trump Won
Sep 22, 2011
✟40,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are there any contemporary preachers who focus on the power of positive thinking who don't have a questionable theology?
I suppose it depends on how you define "positive thinking."

Preachers, in general are good motivators - because the gospel is a good motivator. But I don't know any whose focus is on "positive thinking." And other than some verses like Paul's, who urged us in Philippians to dwell on "whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. Or the Hebrews writer, to urged us to "fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God," I can't think of anyone who uses a purely secular motivation in their preaching. If they do, I'd be seriously suspect of them.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I’m naturally positive and upbeat. I don’t listen to their messages. But I will read a book every now and then. In spite of my mindset, I need reminders and a tuneup. Not everyone can give me that.

I tailor my reading to the topic and mood. What’s edifying for some can be depressing for me when the emphasis is negative. Sometimes I want to be inspired without a tale of woe or self-flagellation.

The pattern of problem + insecurity + feeling like an outsider is fine on occasion. But a continued diet will leave you wanting. No wonder I had a reading slump! This is the first year I haven’t hit 100 books yet. I’m a long way off.

I don’t mind Joel or self-help titles. I need a break from that. You may teach something in the process. But you leave something behind too. I’m tired of problems. I’d like to hear something good for a change.

Christians have a hard time doing that. They dwell on the bad stuff. They’re obsessed with it. That doesn’t inspire me. It doesn’t lift my spirits. So I look to things that will.

~bella

• Agree
Reactions: BeyondET
Upvote 0

Toynbee

Trump Won
Sep 22, 2011
✟40,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status