Has Joel Osteen's preaching saved anyone?

Toynbee

Trump Won
Sep 22, 2011
✟40,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i had a fan in the back ground, i heard him now. what he said was there is one path to God through Jesus and many paths to Jesus. i don't see that as a big deal. surely many people from all paths of life come to know Jesus.
Except that's not what he said - see from about 1:25 on

Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Except that's not what he said - see from about 1:25 on
that is exactly what he said, that Jesus is the way to God but there are many ways to Jesus, then the author cut it off at that point with the bird call

Upvote 0

Toynbee

Trump Won
Sep 22, 2011
✟40,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
that is exactly what he said, that Jesus is the way to God but there are many ways to Jesus, then the author cut it off at that point with the bird call
Not going to get dragged into an argument about Joel Osteen. His statement to Larry King has been commented on so many times now it'd be difficult to count. But if you found nothing in what he said... well... ok.

Reactions: BeyondET
Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not going to get dragged into an argument about Joel Osteen. His statement to Larry King has been commented on so many times now it'd be difficult to count. But if you found nothing in what he said... well... ok.

i just saw the clip, it appears Larry wanted him to publicly say they are going to hell for not believing in Jesus. i don't think he was going to judge people on live TV. quite frankly i don't want to say who is and who isn't either who does?

Upvote 0

MikeinSeattle

Looking for believers to pray with. Message me.
Mar 22, 2019
Seattle
✟34,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does Joel Osteen's message on the power of positive thinking apply only to our wallets? It's been years since I've listened to one of his sermons.

I have probably listened to no more than about 2 sermons worth from him but the little I did hear was about the power of declaration and it seemed to me to be soundly exegeted from the scriptures.

I do not know enough about him to give any kind of educated opinion but I would guess that although he probably does have great faults he is probably demonized more than he should be. That is only my assumption at this point however with my current understanding.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟144,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
The Swaggarts brought me to faith over a decade ago. I just happened to come across their television channel and was so drawn that I spent the better part of a year watching them every single day. Over time I would come to realize that they're fraudulent conartists who are more interested in selling their products than preaching the gospel. So with that said, yes, I believe the likes of Joel and Joyce have brought people to salvation. God can use anything and anyone.

Upvote 0

Salvadore

Feb 2, 2020
Nashville
✟40,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
i had a fan in the back ground, i heard him now. what he said was there is one path to God through Jesus and many paths to Jesus. i don't see that as a big deal. surely many people from all paths of life come to know Jesus.

There is one path to God and it is through Jesus Christ. What does it mean that there are many paths to Jesus? It doesn't make sense at all. God is the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. One God. One Path.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is one path to God and it is through Jesus Christ. What does it mean that there are many paths to Jesus? It doesn't make sense at all. God is the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. One God. One Path.

I think he probably is referring to the many problems people have and are in need of help. Not every sinner has the same issues.

Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
What does Joel Osteen teach, specifically, that is contrary to the Bible? In this video, Osteen focuses more on the substitutionary atonement of Jesus than the average preacher would on any given Sunday:

I have never heard Joel Osteen claim that if bad things happen to you in life, it's a sign that your faith wasn't genuine. Instead, he says keep on having faith until God uses your suffering to demonstrate His glory when your day of vindication comes.

This is the statement of faith from Osteen's church, which seems pretty standard to me:
About Lakewood Church

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Christianity is a lot like the 100 Acre Woods. You have all types in the fold.

~bella

2A68705F-D82B-41CF-945E-24863479934D.jpeg

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I understand the reservations some have about teachers like Joel Osteen and Joyce Meyer, but if God is sovereign over salvation, can't God use their preaching to draw His elect unto Himself anyway, despite how questionable certain particulars of their theology might be?

Also, are there any contemporary preachers who focus on the power of positive thinking who don't have a questionable theology?

John Piper seems to be a positive preacher. His positivity is what originally attracted me to Calvinism.

This is the statement of faith from Osteen's church, which seems pretty standard to me:
About Lakewood Church

Are these the tears of a man who doesn't genuinely care about the people whose lives have been changed by his message?

I have never heard Joel Osteen claim that if bad things happen to you in life, it's a sign that your faith wasn't genuine. Instead, he says keep on having faith until God uses your suffering to demonstrate His glory when your day of vindication comes.

I think that brother Joel can definitely be used by God to spread the gospel and call others to Christ. I may not agree wholeheartedly with his theology but I have seen the Holy Spirit working in people with many different theologies and in many different denominations.

Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
Unlike his critics, Joel Osteen doesn't take a salary from his church. He's no less deserving of the money from his book sales as a Christian film maker would be of the money from his movies.

A good Calvinist would see this story as the work of God's providence in Joel Osteen's life:

When we were trying to acquire our current facility, the former Compaq Center, there was one man I really wanted to get on our team. We needed to have the Houston City Council members vote for us because it was a city-owned facility. This one man knew all the people in the city. He was very influential. I thought if we could just get him on board, then surely we would get the votes that we needed. I called and called, but for some reason, he wouldn't call me back. I knew friends who knew him. They put in a good word for me. Still nothing. At one point, we got word back that this man was actively against us. He wasn't in neutral; he was on the opposing team! At that point, I realized I couldn't make this happen in my own strength. I quit trying to manipulate things and trying to convince everybody. I said, "God, it's in Your hands. I know You already have the right people lined up. I know You already have it figured out. So God, I'm just going to stay in that place of peace."

We needed ten votes from the City Council members. Two days before the main vote, we only had nine. But, a young Jewish councilmember that had been against us for two years suddenly changed his mind and voted for us. It was his vote that gave us the victory.

He told me later, "Joel, you were very persuasive, but you were not the reason that I changed my mind." He went on to tell about this elderly Jewish lady that called him out of the blue. He hadn't spoken to her in over 20 years, but he had great respect for her. He grew up with her. She told him in no uncertain terms that he was to vote for Lakewood having the Compaq Center. He said, "It was her phone call that changed my mind."

Now, I couldn't make that happen in my own strength, but God already had somebody lined up that could make it happen. The amazing thing is that I didn't know the woman and still don't. I never talked to her, never asked her to call. That was the hand of God orchestrating it all.
If God Is For You

This seems to be the message of Joel Osteen, that just like the story of Joseph, God will use what the devil intended for your harm for your good.

Genesis 50:20
You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.

I have never heard him promise that Christians will never have suffering and adversity in life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I understand the reservations some have about teachers like Joel Osteen and Joyce Meyer, but if God is sovereign over salvation, can't God use their preaching to draw His elect unto Himself anyway, despite how questionable certain particulars of their theology might be?

Also, are there any contemporary preachers who focus on the power of positive thinking who don't have a questionable theology?

John Piper seems to be a positive preacher. His positivity is what originally attracted me to Calvinism.

About Lakewood Church

Are these the tears of a man who doesn't genuinely care about the people whose lives have been changed by his message?

Unlike his critics, Joel Osteen doesn't take a salary from his church. He's no less deserving of the money from his book sales as a Christian film maker would be of the money from his movies.

A good Calvinist would see this story as the work of God's providence in Joel Osteen's life:

This seems to be the message of Joel Osteen, that just like the story of Joseph, God will use what the devil intended for your harm for your good.

Genesis 50:20
You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.

I have never heard him promise that Christians will never have suffering and adversity in life.
God can use anything. . .and does to bring men to himself.

But as they grow, they often find a more spiritually mature body to belong to.

Osteen's message seems man-centered to me, rather than God-centered.

God exists for my benefit--Santa Claus in the sky, rather than my existing for God's purpose.

Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
Osteen's message seems man-centered to me, rather than God-centered.

I would agree with that if I heard something in his sermons that specifically contradicted what the Bible teaches. His sermons have references to the Bible from beginning to end.

Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
When it comes to teachers like Joel Osteen, who might not be from our tradition of Christianity, why not look at the words of Jesus?

Mark 9
38 Now John answered Him, saying, “Teacher, we saw someone who does not follow us casting out demons in Your name, and we forbade him because he does not follow us.”
39 But Jesus said, “Do not forbid him, for no one who works a miracle in My name can soon afterward speak evil of Me. 40 For he who is not against us is on our side. 41 For whoever gives you a cup of water to drink in My name, because you belong to Christ, assuredly, I say to you, he will by no means lose his reward.

1 Corinthians 1
11 My brothers and sisters, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. 12 What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas”; still another, “I follow Christ.” 13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized in the name of Paul?

Upvote 0