Aug 16, 2012
✟29,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can a man be saved without hearing/reading the gospel?
Well, let's say hypothetically they've never heard of Jesus, they still through General Revelation recognize that they're sinners, and that God exists, so they repent to God and try to live differently, and trust God to find a way to save them. What would you make of that?

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Isaiah 65:12
I will destine you for the sword, and all of you will fall in the slaughter; for I called but you did not answer, I spoke but you did not listen. You did evil in my sight and chose what displeases me.”

Reactions: RisenInJesus
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Do I really have to answer that? I think you already know how I would answer that question.

You did say that all people are called, so I had no choice but ask you that. In light of Romans 8:30. . .

"And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified."

Upvote 0

PhantomGaze

Carry on my wayward son.
Aug 16, 2012
✟29,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think the idea of "calling" is dodging the fundamental point. If God genuinely desires all men to be saved. (this is abundantly clear in scripture), and the onus is on him to decide who is and isn't saved, then presumably all men should be saved. If God desires all men to be saved, why would he only elect a few? I would think the calvinist interpretation of Romans 9 is in conflict with 1 Timothy 2 here.

• Agree
Upvote 0

RisenInJesus

Apr 8, 2016
USA
✟34,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You did say that all people are called, so I had no choice but ask you that. In light of Romans 8:30. . .

"And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified."
Here you go again leaving out the beginning of the passage and Paul's entire thought. And you are the one who said to read the Bible as a novel keeping the overall picture in mind and not as a reference book taking verses out of context.

I don't have time at the moment to address this further...maybe later.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Let's see about the house of Israel, whom He called.

Isaiah 65:12
I will destine you for the sword, and all of you will fall in the slaughter; for I called but you did not answer, I spoke but you did not listen. You did evil in my sight and chose what displeases me.”

Calling does not automatically justify one. One must answer and listen, then one must not do evil and choose what pleases the Lord.

• Agree
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Here you go again leaving out the beginning of the passage and Paul's entire thought. And you are the one who said to read the Bible as a novel keeping the overall picture in mind and not as a reference book taking verses out of context.

I don't have time at the moment to address this further...maybe later.

Predestination leads to glorification. The chain is unbroken.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
we don't know

Please provide the biblical evidence to support your agnosticism on this point.

We do know how the OT people became saints! Both OT and NT confirm that both OT people and NT people get into the kingdom of God and receive the righteousness of God by faith. I've provided the biblical evidence above.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I find Enoch interesting. Genesis 5:24

I find Luke 16:19-31 interesting.

Was Abraham in paradise when Christ went to paradise before God raised Him?

We also have Matthew 17:3

Elijah and Moses with Jesus.

BTW I love the rosella Avatar :)

Excellent observations.

Yes, those Aussie rosellas are unique to this country. I see them sometimes in the trees around where I live. They are not as prevalent as the smaller greenie parrot - that's what we call them.

upload_2017-7-20_13-27-23.jpeg

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I think the idea of "calling" is dodging the fundamental point. If God genuinely desires all men to be saved. (this is abundantly clear in scripture), and the onus is on him to decide who is and isn't saved, then presumably all men should be saved. If God desires all men to be saved, why would he only elect a few? I would think the calvinist interpretation of Romans 9 is in conflict with 1 Timothy 2 here.

Heb 3:7-11 (NIRV) provides one answer to this dilemma:

A Warning Against Unbelief
7 The Holy Spirit says,
“Listen to his voice today.
8 If you hear it, don’t be stubborn.
You were stubborn when you opposed me.
You did that when you were tested in the desert.
9 There your people of long ago tested me.
Yet for 40 years they saw what I did.
10 That is why I was angry with them.
I said, ‘Their hearts are always going astray.
They have not known my ways.’
11 So when I was angry, I made a promise.
I said, ‘They will never enjoy the rest I planned for them.’ ” (Psalm 95:7–11)​

Oz

Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟130,897.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Excellent observations.

Yes, those Aussie rosellas are unique to this country. I see them sometimes in the trees around where I live. They are not as prevalent as the smaller greenie parrot - that's what we call them.

View attachment 201711

Hello from Melbourne! :)

Upvote 0

RisenInJesus

Apr 8, 2016
USA
✟34,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Predestination leads to glorification. The chain is unbroken.

I'm sorry I don't think your golden chain is intact when you leave out important links and then try to connect it to teachings you have been taught by Piper, Sproul or other Calvinists.

You may find these articles very interesting, whether you agree is a different matter:

"The solution seems to lie in the middle ground between Calvinism and Arminianism, which is discovered by letting Paul’s words speak for themselves, which we will look at tomorrow."
Problems with the Calvinistic Ordo Salutis in Romans 8:28-30

"First, we must remember that in Scripture, and especially in Pauline theology, Jesus Christ is the ultimate elect one, and individual people become elect, not through an eternal divine decree from God, but by joining with Christ by faith.

In other words, God does not predestine or elect people to be in Christ; no, God elects Jesus, and by default, all who join with Jesus by faith also become elect as members of the “body of Christ.”

golden-chain-570x315.jpg

Second, we must also recall that election is not to eternal life, but to service.

God does not choose, out of the mass of humanity, some to spend eternity with Him in heaven, while all others are destined for eternal suffering in hell. This is not the biblical teaching of election.

Instead, election is to service, and God chooses some out of the mass of humanity to serve Him or perform certain tasks to accomplish His will in human history."
Romans 8:28-30 and the "Golden Chain of Salvation"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PhantomGaze

Carry on my wayward son.
Aug 16, 2012
✟29,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Heb 3:7-11 (NIRV) provides one answer to this dilemma:

A Warning Against Unbelief
7 The Holy Spirit says,
“Listen to his voice today.
8 If you hear it, don’t be stubborn.
You were stubborn when you opposed me.
You did that when you were tested in the desert.
9 There your people of long ago tested me.
Yet for 40 years they saw what I did.
10 That is why I was angry with them.
I said, ‘Their hearts are always going astray.
They have not known my ways.’
11 So when I was angry, I made a promise.
I said, ‘They will never enjoy the rest I planned for them.’ ” (Psalm 95:7–11)​

Oz
Doesn't that violate the tenet Irresistible Grace?

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry I don't think your golden chain is intact when you leave out important links and then try to connect it to teachings you have been taught by Piper, Sproul or other Calvinists.

You may find these articles very interesting, whether you agree is a different matter:

"The solution seems to lie in the middle ground between Calvinism and Arminianism, which is discovered by letting Paul’s words speak for themselves, which we will look at tomorrow."
Problems with the Calvinistic Ordo Salutis in Romans 8:28-30

"First, we must remember that in Scripture, and especially in Pauline theology, Jesus Christ is the ultimate elect one, and individual people become elect, not through an eternal divine decree from God, but by joining with Christ by faith.

In other words, God does not predestine or elect people to be in Christ; no, God elects Jesus, and by default, all who join with Jesus by faith also become elect as members of the “body of Christ.”

golden-chain-570x315.jpg

Second, we must also recall that election is not to eternal life, but to service.

God does not choose, out of the mass of humanity, some to spend eternity with Him in heaven, while all others are destined for eternal suffering in hell. This is not the biblical teaching of election.

Instead, election is to service, and God chooses some out of the mass of humanity to serve Him or perform certain tasks to accomplish His will in human history."
Romans 8:28-30 and the "Golden Chain of Salvation"

The end of the road is glorification. Where I come from, we call that: saved.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I think it was EIGHT (if the flood was universal)

God "called out" to Cain -- as to if Cain was CALLED -- I dunno

I agree. My point was that no one came. The call went out, but not even one (apart from Noah) came. No amount of "free will" caused any man to heed the warning and come.

No one raised a hand or walked down to the front of the Arc, with all heads bowed, while the organ played, Just as I Am for 20 minutes straight.

Unless God enables him, no one Can come to Christ. . .

Upvote 0