Has being a Christian made you boring?

Celticroots

Jun 2, 2012
✟72,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I often feel this way too. I feel like most Christians are in the mode of not asking questions, not associating with non Christians, and responding to all challenges with "Ill pray about it." I am not that way. I firmly believe in God but my faith is always growing and changing through questions, through meeting people with different points of view, and through using the deductive reasoning God gave me and what I know from the Bible to work through problems. Lately I find my Christian friends get really up in arms about me, they interpret the way I question as a lack of faith. I feel outside of that community now. At the same time, while I have non Christian friends, I am very clearly not a part of that community either and they and I both know where my lines are drawn. Its kind of a lonely place.

I am the same way! I question lots of things. I also enjoy hanging out with different people and learning about different points of view.

I find it damaging that some Christians equate questioning to a lack of faith. It encourages complacency and stunts spiritual and emotional growth as well as critical thinking. I couldn't hang out with people who thought I lacked faith because I ask questions.

God wouldn't have given us a brain if He wanted us to forego its use.

I really understand the loneliness- feeling like you don't fit in with Christians or non-believers-it's hard.

Upvote 0

Celticroots

Jun 2, 2012
✟72,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've met quite a few Christians who think that the only thing they are allowed to enjoy is going to church, praying, and doing Bible studies. Well, good for them if they really enjoy it. Some of them seem to. But others appear to be bitter and hateful of others who enjoy other things.

Or that you're not a Christian if you have interests alongside the above mentioned things. A life like thst if it only consisted of those things would be too boring for me.

Upvote 0

Celticroots

Jun 2, 2012
✟72,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would not say Christ made me boring, I would say church culture led me to be afraid and negative and get everything backwards. And I made serious mistakes in seeing all the dark parts of the bible and none of the happy. And in a way, that made me boring.

As a christian, all I have ever seen from religious types is mostly judgment toward me and everyone else. No love, no fun, no happiness. So, on the one hand, I have beautiful Jesus, on the other, I have a group of people following him who are worse than the "world" that is supposedly so bad.

It confused me. There is everything I knew to be right and good and godly and loving--and I saw all that in God Jesus. But as a christian I have been tempted to be afraid and think bad of everything I know is beautiful and good and love. And almost all churches support this twisted reversal.

And then there is a church culture so twisted around that they are afraid of doing anything good because it might harm someone, so they do bad to help. And it took some time to stop listening and ignore everyone and make my own decisions. I've still got one foot in it and I'm asleep and blind, but I wake up more and more when Mr Rogers is called evil for saying nice things about children because that supposedly harms them. Call me radical.

Maybe I wouldn't have to go to a social club where some drunks are rubbing up against each other if the church culture had enough faith in its own people to hold a dance and social events. (they could teach country line dancing!!!) It isn't like the super-christians aren't flat out naked with each other when they aren't playing holy at church anyway! (but how dare a couple of drunks pretend like they are having sex) Even so, I think drinking is good and fun--and maybe it wouldn't be so bad if moderation was demonstrated instead of an either/or. And I like talking to girls--and guys. I like parties, games, art, special holidays that make people happy.

Honestly, I say things that are off because I'm feeling in the dark, but come on, now talking to girls is wrong? Oh wait, I have to say it in a judgmental tone to show I disagree with talking to girls. Stuff like that is my detector of bull.

I'm done with church culture. Done with being afraid of everything. I'm going to embrace the things I know are beautiful and good and lovely. I don't need a bible to see it--I see beauty in God and the bible because I already know what is good. So, I can see God Jesus is good. And I certainly am not going to trust the guidance of what is clearly a group of people who have it wrong and make everyone feel hated and unloved and afraid and unhappy and excluded.

Some christians are different. But they are radical, new christians, liberal, mental, rejected, etc. And I would rather follow them because they match the Jesus I know who broke such rules by his drinking at parties and talking to women. If it is good enough for God when he visited us, it is good enough for me.

If I was around people you described, my mental health would deteriorate. I am not living being afraid of everything, like talking to guys, enjoying a beer, etc.

It's those type of people that give Christians a bad name.

I am in the second group of Christians.

Reactions: Waddler
Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I understand dull and dry moments in our journey, but there's no reason why our walk should be boring. Want proof? Check this out "You will make known to me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever.' -Psalms 16:11

Also, I heard a preacher say this one time that makes a lot of sense.."If we get too much of the word only we dry up. If we get too much in the spirit only we blow up. But if we get both in good doses we go/grow up.

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟187,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I sometimes get the feel that being a Christian has made me pretty boring. A little background, I wasn’t really a Christian till around age 20/21 (it was a process and not an overnight thing). Before that I was more a Christian in name only. I would go to Church on Christmas and Easter and ya know do the whole Christian thing once in a while.

I was a fun person though. Girls though I was Charming, I could have fun and just do things everyday people do, without any guilt or conscience.

Then I became a Christian. The fun me sort of died cause all the things that are “Fun” sort of revolve around things God does not approve off. Well the Charming guy, who could talk to any girl and be all smooth and slick. Turned into the nice guy, who is amazingly boring? The fun guy turned into “well I don’t wanna do XYZ because its not what God wants”.

I just wonder sometimes if when people say “its tough to live a Christian life”. Do they mean its tough to be the only one not having fun? Then yes it is tough, its also tough when ya get so uninteresting that you start to bore yourself. This cant be all there is to being a Christian.

I need to get my groove or mojo back or whatever. But then again the only way I know how to get it back is to ignore What pleases God. It’s a weird point iv come to in my life.

It all depends, I've come across Christians that won't even be in an environment around people who even drank socially, ie - wine tasting, BBQ amongst secular friends, etc. Or are afraid to see movies/TV with questionable content, even though they may be the current popular TV series. It's kind of been a problem with me finding a Christian woman in this sense. I know one that isn't a total wet blanket, but she's married, but ...she considers herself a "Unicorn" of sorts since she doesn't let those impact her walk with Christ.

Upvote 0

wannaberocker

Aug 26, 2012
✟15,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Since I made this thread. I decided to share some updates.

I obviously don't feel the same way I did 4 years ago. Its important to remember that the way we feel today might not last past next month let alone years.

a few points to remember is that often early on in our walk we have the tendency to self censor. We self censor to the point of not doing anything regardless of if that's what God want's or not. Like talking to girls.....Not every conversation is a marriage proposal. But, often times in our immaturity of faith we feel like every conversation with a girl should be leading to marriage. In that mindset we miss out on getting to know people part of it.

My point is God never told me "hey don't talk to girls" I did that myself because I was over analyzing things. I was putting the cart before the horse.

At the end of the day, we have to enjoy our "Right now" and enjoy what God puts in our life. We create our own fun sometimes. We don't have to be boring as Christians. We can be who we are because being a Christian is not about shutting out the world. Its about just living our life with the Joy that God gives us.

Upvote 0

Waddler

Live a story worth telling well.
Jul 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
✟27,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I obviously don't feel the same way I did 4 years ago. Its important to remember that the way we feel today might not last past next month let alone years.

a few points to remember is that often early on in our walk we have the tendency to self censor. We self censor to the point of not doing anything regardless of if that's what God want's or not. Like talking to girls.....Not every conversation is a marriage proposal. But, often times in our immaturity of faith we feel like every conversation with a girl should be leading to marriage. In that mindset we miss out on getting to know people part of it.

My point is God never told me "hey don't talk to girls" I did that myself because I was over analyzing things. I was putting the cart before the horse.

At the end of the day, we have to enjoy our "Right now" and enjoy what God puts in our life. We create our own fun sometimes. We don't have to be boring as Christians. We can be who we are because being a Christian is not about shutting out the world. Its about just living our life with the Joy that God gives us.
I really like that analogy. So often we're led to believe everything we do has to focus exclusively, absolutely, blatantly on God, and if it doesn't, we can be led to believe it's not okay. But in our doing and not doing based on that idea, we miss out on the fact that as God's kids made in His image, just doing the inhale-exhale thing and enjoying our lives on the big ball He put us on (and it's pretty spiffy) brings Him glory.

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟187,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I would gather the "not talking to girls" thing was based off of shyness? I know some people find excuses not to approach someone, I figured this was one of them in your earlier state?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2017
Virginia
✟15,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is it because there were things you used to do that you feel you can't do anymore because you are now a christian? Or is it because you feel you have to behave a certain way now that you are a christian?
It's more like I have been delivered from my old ways and I am okay with that, but I'm having a hard time adjusting to where God has me now. I used to be a lot more care-free and I had a lot more energy, but I was getting energy from the wrong sources. I know it is okay to be a care-free Christian, but life is not all about me.

Reactions: NurseAbigail
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2017
Virginia
✟15,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
By "boring" do you mean in terms of your lifestyle?
Somewhat. I can't remember the last time I truly had fun. Fun meant smoking a bowl by myself after work/school, drinking, doing sinful things. Even then I wasn't having "fun." I find a lot of pleasure from watching sermons, going to church, bible study, etc., but I also feel so alone and bored.

Upvote 0

Waddler

Live a story worth telling well.
Jul 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
✟27,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's more like I have been delivered from my old ways and I am okay with that, but I'm having a hard time adjusting to where God has me now. I used to be a lot more care-free and I had a lot more energy, but I was getting energy from the wrong sources. I know it is okay to be a care-free Christian, but life is not all about me.

Somewhat. I can't remember the last time I truly had fun. Fun meant smoking a bowl by myself after work/school, drinking, doing sinful things. Even then I wasn't having "fun." I find a lot of pleasure from watching sermons, going to church, bible study, etc., but I also feel so alone and bored.

It can be a difficult adjustment to change our lifestyle. It sounds from what you've described that you're lonely. I gather you don't have much of a social life? Do you have friends at church you can spend time with?

• Useful
Upvote 0

NurseAbigail

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2017
NC
✟48,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Back in university...
Group of secular friends: Hey lets go tonight! We gotta have someone who doesn't drink though...I'm gonna get wasted...Hey, there's Abigail...she can come along...drive us home...
Me: Sorry guys, yeah I don't drink, but I also don't drive, I can lead you all to the bus perhaps???

Friend: Hey wanna go to a gay bar?
Me: Ummmm No....Errrmmm why?
Another Friend: I've always wanted to go to see a male stripper...do you want to come?
Me: Ummm No....Errrrmmm why?

Once had a classmate who was high...driving my group to clinical...
Me praying in my head, "Dear Lord, if I die today in a car crash...I'm pretty ready...take me..."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟328,957.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

You could definitely be feeling bored because you aren't smoking anymore regardless if you became a christian or not. So definitely give it some time and make the most out of your situation now and it will definitely get better.

Upvote 0

Blessed Each Day

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2017
Georgia
✟69,005.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

I sometimes get the feel that being a Christian has made me pretty boring. A little background, I wasn’t really a Christian till around age 20/21 (it was a process and not an overnight thing). Before that I was more a Christian in name only. I would go to Church on Christmas and Easter and ya know do the whole Christian thing once in a while.

I was a fun person though. Girls though I was Charming, I could have fun and just do things everyday people do, without any guilt or conscience.

Then I became a Christian. The fun me sort of died cause all the things that are “Fun” sort of revolve around things God does not approve off. Well the Charming guy, who could talk to any girl and be all smooth and slick. Turned into the nice guy, who is amazingly boring? The fun guy turned into “well I don’t wanna do XYZ because its not what God wants”.

I just wonder sometimes if when people say “its tough to live a Christian life”. Do they mean its tough to be the only one not having fun? Then yes it is tough, its also tough when ya get so uninteresting that you start to bore yourself. This cant be all there is to being a Christian.

I need to get my groove or mojo back or whatever. But then again the only way I know how to get it back is to ignore What pleases God. It’s a weird point iv come to in my life.
I don't think by becoming a devout Christian you just change overnight, unless you were getting your mojo/charm by drinking or [insert substance here]. If what you found fun was getting drunk and doing other illicit substances, and breaking the law, then those are desires of the flesh. I was like that up until a couple years after college; I loved drinking, fighting, clubbing and everything that goes along with it, but you start to realize just how empty that "fun" really is. You start to look for something with substance, and you begin to see the world that God created, and how much true fun you can have if you surround yourself with the right people. I was still the same person, I just wasn't doing all of the stuff I listed above, but that didn't make me a different person inside (that sounds like a contradiction I know.) If people find that boring, they need to check their own lives for meaning, and look for His guidance. If you find yourself boring, then whatever you were doing before warped your mind, and you need to find out who you are without it, and by seeing just what a beauty this world that God created is. What I find fun now is taking care of family members when they need help, looking for the right girl to settle down with who has also found His love, and giving glory to God by lending a helping hand or an encouraging word. Also, just cherishing the fact that I get to enjoy waking up every single day, fully cognizant that in an instant everything could change, and that makes me appreciate life so much more. God bless you! I hope He gives you guidance as to what true fun is in the world He's created.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟435,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Entering into a life of faith is certainly a paradigm shift. We have to re-evaluate how we define things like fun and pleasure, because the things that delivered those feelings in the past are incongruent with a life of faith.

Are you connected with any young adult groups or anything along those lines? One of the biggest mistakes Christians make, especially new ones, is thinking that we live our faith out alone. Faith is a communal experience, we can't have proper faith on our own. If you have an opportunity to plug in to a group or bible study some kind, I would jump on that. If you're unsure, you might be able to find out some info from your church's website or by talking with someone on staff.

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟187,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know a woman that has joined a mixture of Meetups that are Christian related and just plain social related. She does attend some of the Christian groups, but when they go out to eat...she's afraid to order a Margarita because everyone else ordered water.

I was like "find another group". lol

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2017
Virginia
✟15,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Entering into a life of faith is certainly a paradigm shift. We have to re-evaluate how we define things like fun and pleasure, because the things that delivered those feelings in the past are incongruent with a life of faith.

Are you connected with any young adult groups or anything along those lines? One of the biggest mistakes Christians make, especially new ones, is thinking that we live our faith out alone. Faith is a communal experience, we can't have proper faith on our own. If you have an opportunity to plug in to a group or bible study some kind, I would jump on that. If you're unsure, you might be able to find out some info from your church's website or by talking with someone on staff.
Yes, I am in bible study and it is great, but I also feel like it's boring. The people are boring. or maybe it's me.

Upvote 0