• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Has anyone had success with antidepressants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael714

Apr 14, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
✟8,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been struggling with a deep depression for the past 15 months. Over the years I've tried 10 antidepressants with no success - Everything from panic attacks to hearing voices. One AD (tophranil) sent me over the edge and into the hospital (January 2008). I've tried St. John's Wort and it sent me into mania.

From what I've read, AD's are dangerous for bipolars and can cause rapid cycling.

Has anyone had success with antidepressants?
If you've struggled with a long depression, what helped you in breaking out of it, or at least managing it?

Alive again

A daughter of the King of Kings!
Feb 21, 2005
Pacific Northwest, USA
✟23,321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My antidepressants did not kick me out of depression. The right mood stabilizer did and then an antidepressant was also needed for about 6 months. Then I was able to wean from the antidepressant. Off for over a year then had to add the antidepressant back, but still have the tendency towards depression. Some did trigger manias over the course of try8ing them all.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My pdoc told me that 75% of his bipolar patients don't do well with antidepressants. He's wanting to try a few others but I don't know if I want to keep going there...

Yeah watch out Michael, anti-depressants drive me completely crazy

Upvote 0

Greenriser

Mar 29, 2004
✟1,379.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
They told me that if i tried antidepressants it would sent me manic.

I still now am searching for what I want to be in life. I don't think that should just equate to just an occupation, so thats why i'm worried. I don't want to be this person who just has a career and nothing else to define them. I equate drinking as one of my other interests.

And i'm still wondering about what i could actually take on in life if i was more emotionally and mentally stable and didnt have bipolar.

I can always blame people for my situation especially my parents, but my brother is more productive than me and doesn't have mental issues.

Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0

keek

Philippians 4:13
Apr 19, 2009
✟15,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes and no.

I just started taking Celexa, it helps with the depression. As for the mood swings I'm still struggling =[. But everyone is different. You may have to play with the doses and combos. On a bipolar support group I belong to a lot of different people talk about their bipolar cocktails, which is just a mix of a lot of different meds. One lady I spoke with on the site told me she takes 8 different medications everyday just to manage, so don't give up or put all your hope in just one medication.

My mother is bipolar and she has it under control, with what I don't know but don't give up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Agapet0s

May 2, 2009
London, UK
✟15,128.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
I take an antidepressant (Effexor) along with Lithium and an antipsychotic. The mixture works for me, as I have Bipolar II so the lows are worse and more long lasting than the highs for me. Really it is the depression that is my bugbear, so an antidepressant works for me.

Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0

Cass8605

Apr 28, 2009
Colorado
✟15,159.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have never been told if I have Bipolar I or II. A former therapist of mine suspected II, but my psychiatrist has never told me for sure. I have a feeling they aren't sure either. I am also diagnosed with depression. With that being said...

I take two mood stabilizers, which worked pretty well by themselves for a while, but I was still depressed and I couldn't let go of the sadness and fear. So, they decided to put me on Wellbutrin. My mom takes it for depression, so my psych thought it might work for me. It did the trick. I take 300mg a day and I feel a LOT better with it. I have a feeling that it works because the bipolar is under control, but I'm really sure, since I know a lot of people with BD don't do well on antidepressants.

It's up to a doctor (preferably a psychiatrist) to say whether or not you should try an antidepressant. Be very aware of your behavior if you do try one, because the effects of being BD on an antidepressant can be pretty severe. Do you have family members or friends who can help look out for you in case the antidepressant is doing something other than what it's supposed to?

Good luck and God bless you.

Upvote 0

michael714

Apr 14, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
✟8,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
>Be very aware of your behavior if you do try one, because the effects of being BD on an antidepressant can be pretty severe.

Ain't that the truth. I tried Wellbutrin and started feeling better at first, but then started hearing "voices". I had to stop it immediately.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Antidepressants almost never work for me, and I must have tried half a dozen or so over the years.

I found Celexa worked one time, then stopped because the balance of feeling just a bit better against side effects didn't add up to a plus in the end.

I took a nosedive and couldn't cope so tried it again, and that time it didn't work at all and made me feel really ill.

Now I'm on Duloxetine. Not working.
My psychiatrist added lithium to augment it end of last week.
Not working but too soon to be sure. Sigh. Here's hoping.

Haven't been really well since middle of 2005. Not sure I really know what "well" means for me any more, but I will know when I get there.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.