Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've done a good amount of studying these doctrines and am curious if anyone else is interested in a debate on this topic.

I would be for Premil though I have some disagreements with some of the standard things that most Premil's accept, namely the sacrifices coming back and in general any details of what takes place within that time period as I believe no scripture discusses that.

I disagree with nearly all of the typical things that most Amil's accept as part of that doctrine, especially what the first resurrection of Rev 20 is, and when it occurs.

Last edited:

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well us Amillinialists reject a millennium period , I'd be willing to join a debate on Amill vs Premill.

Actually that would be a minority view in Amill because most I have spoken with believe we are in the Millennium now, which they call the church age, and it ends when Christ returns but I will debate this and other things related to the topic. We just need a Mod to direct this. :)

Before that happens though, I don't know what a Lutheran Jew is...is that a form of Judaism or Christianity because I will only debate a fellow Christian because I require the NT to be fully accepted as scripture :)

Upvote 0

Taom Ben Robert

Roman Catholic
Apr 22, 2015
U.S.
✟21,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually that would be a minority view in Amill because most I have spoken with believe we are in the Millennium now, which they call the church age, and it ends when Christ returns but I will debate this and other things related to the topic. We just need a Mod to direct this. :)

Before that happens though, I don't know what a Lutheran Jew is...is that a form of Judaism or Christianity because I will only debate a fellow Christian because I require the NT to be fully accepted as scripture :)

It means that I'm an ethnic Jew who' s a Lutheran Christian,the " millennium " as some call it is not a millennium at all it's just the church age , thus all Amillinialists reject the millennium, your confusing Amillinialists with post millennialists.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It means that I'm an ethnic Jew who' s a Lutheran Christian,the " millennium " as some call it is not a millennium at all it's just the church age , thus all Amillinialists reject the millennium, your confusing Amillinialists with post millennialists.

I've spoken to a lot of Amills actually. None of them denied a Millennium. They simply deny it happens after Christ returns but it's ok if you don't believe in one. That can be part of the debate :)

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Here are the standard rules, do you have anything to change or suggest? I'll add my thoughts after each:

1. The topic and title of the debate.

I propose a title of "Discussion of the Thousand years found in Revelation 20" this would eliminate the concept of one being for or against something since I assume we both agree Rev 20 speaks of a thousand years. We would simply discuss our different understandings of it.

2. The members who will be participating in the debate and what positions they will take. Someone will usually affirm a position and someone else will oppose.

See above...my position is the Christ returns prior to the starting of the thousand years.

3. The number of rounds within the debate. If each party makes three alternating posts, that would equal a debate with three rounds.

I am open to whatever on this part.

4. Whether the posts will be made concurrently or alternating and which party goes first. Generally the affirmative position goes first, but this is flexible.

I prefer to go second as I am more of a responder than an initiator and thus alternating would be best.

5. Time limit between posts. You may select any length of time (within reason) as a maximum amount your opponent may take to formulate a response. If the time limit is 1 week, that means within one week of the affirmative making his/her post, the opposing position needs to reply. The post can be made earlier, of course.

I am flexible on this as well.

6. The maximum length for each post. You can set a limit of say 1000 or even 5000 words for each post in a round. The length is the upper limit.

Flexible here as well although I prefer concise over verbose.

7. Whether or not quotes and outside references are allowed. Please note that all quotes will fall under the 20% copyright rule, but the participants may decide to disallow quotes or limit them to a certain amount of the overall word total.

Flexible here but scripture and tools such as lexicons and concordances etc trump commentaries IMO.

8. And, finally, the start date of the debate.

These rules need to be agreed upon by both participants and approved by a moderator.

Once a debate is accepted by both parties, the proposal thread is closed and a moderator creates the debate thread in the Formal Debate forum, with a link to the proposal thread. A discussion thread is created by a moderator in the Peanut Gallery for non-debate participants to comment upon the debate. The posts in the peanut gallery discussion thread may be moderated depending on the topic.

Let me know what you think.

Upvote 0

Taom Ben Robert

Roman Catholic
Apr 22, 2015
U.S.
✟21,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Here are the standard rules, do you have anything to change or suggest? I'll add my thoughts after each:

1. The topic and title of the debate.

I propose a title of "Discussion of the Thousand years found in Revelation 20" this would eliminate the concept of one being for or against something since I assume we both agree Rev 20 speaks of a thousand years. We would simply discuss our different understandings of it.

2. The members who will be participating in the debate and what positions they will take. Someone will usually affirm a position and someone else will oppose.

See above...my position is the Christ returns prior to the starting of the thousand years.

3. The number of rounds within the debate. If each party makes three alternating posts, that would equal a debate with three rounds.

I am open to whatever on this part.

4. Whether the posts will be made concurrently or alternating and which party goes first. Generally the affirmative position goes first, but this is flexible.

I prefer to go second as I am more of a responder than an initiator and thus alternating would be best.

5. Time limit between posts. You may select any length of time (within reason) as a maximum amount your opponent may take to formulate a response. If the time limit is 1 week, that means within one week of the affirmative making his/her post, the opposing position needs to reply. The post can be made earlier, of course.

I am flexible on this as well.

6. The maximum length for each post. You can set a limit of say 1000 or even 5000 words for each post in a round. The length is the upper limit.

Flexible here as well although I prefer concise over verbose.

7. Whether or not quotes and outside references are allowed. Please note that all quotes will fall under the 20% copyright rule, but the participants may decide to disallow quotes or limit them to a certain amount of the overall word total.

Flexible here but scripture and tools such as lexicons and concordances etc trump commentaries IMO.

8. And, finally, the start date of the debate.

These rules need to be agreed upon by both participants and approved by a moderator.

Once a debate is accepted by both parties, the proposal thread is closed and a moderator creates the debate thread in the Formal Debate forum, with a link to the proposal thread. A discussion thread is created by a moderator in the Peanut Gallery for non-debate participants to comment upon the debate. The posts in the peanut gallery discussion thread may be moderated depending on the topic.

Let me know what you think.

Looks good , however I propose a title something like " A Discussion on Escatology : Amill vs Premill

The reason being that the issue is more than just the interpretation of one chapter of Scripture .

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Looks good , however I propose a title something like " A Discussion on Escatology : Amill vs Premill

The reason being that the issue is more than just the interpretation of one chapter of Scripture .

That's fine as long as you realize I don't believe that Ezekiel 40+ and certain other OT passages Premill's typically use are the Millennium.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,068.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hi!

Please review these, I need both of you to agree. Feel free to make modifications and deletions to these stipulations.

Please note that the debate thread is moderated. That means that your post will not be visible after posting until it has been reviewed and approved by moderation staff. Generally, participants would not post in the Peanut Gallery thread until the debate is complete (not a rule, just a guideline).

<Draft Stipulations>

1. Title: Formal Debate -- Amillenialism vs Premillenialism
  2. Topic: A discussion of the Thousand Years found in Revelation 20 and the different understanding and interpretation of it.
  3. Participants: Taom Ben Robert who will be advocating the Amillenialist position and ewq1938 who will be supporting the Millenialist position; Taom Ben Robert will open the debate with ewq1938 replying.
  4. Number of Rounds: There will be three alternating rounds (three posts each).
  5. Maximum time between posts will be one week.
  6. Maximum length of each post will be 1500 words.
  7. Outside references will be allowed. Please note that all quotes will fall under the 20% rule.
  8. The regular rules of Christian Forums apply to everything not covered by these stipulations.
  9. Start Date: Any time.
A Peanut Gallery thread will also be started in General Theology so that others watching this debate but who are not direct participants in it can discuss and debate this topic as well.

Mark

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.