New Jerusalem (destination)
✟2,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
Americans for the most part followed God to the best of their reckoning on what that meant. We may disagree or agree with their conclusions on that but the majority of Americans over the history of the country were Christians and did follow God in their imperfect way.

Followed God? Maybe not completely or successfully, but I think there used to be a higher percentage of people trying.

Is there any evidence to show that "Americans for the most part followed God" really ?
I agree that it used to be 'easier' to find a church or Christians that were or seemed to be doing what is right.... but most of them seem to be gone now...
and it did not ever seem like most people were doing good.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Some Americans, yes. America, no.

From my understanding, the United Kingdom is experiencing a spiritual decline. Following the king didn't keep them on the straight and narrow. They're equally lost.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is there any evidence to show that "Americans for the most part followed God" really ?
I agree that it used to be 'easier' to find a church or Christians that were or seemed to be doing what is right.... but most of them seem to be gone now...
and it did not ever seem like most people were doing good.

It is a personal observation from my experience over time. When I was younger I was aware of many people that , though they were not paragons of virtue or more interested in the welfare of others than of their own welfare, sought to follow God's commands in adhering to the morality laid out by God. Even when they often failed to do so, they still believed that the authority and wisdom of God in such matters was superior to their own or that of any other source. Today, I see more people uninterested in following God in moral matters at all. That is just my opinion based upon my personal observations. I'm not proposing that people are less good today or those of the past were more morally upright but rather that many more people today aren't much concerned with following God at all. Those people prefer other things, people , causes , gurus, personalities or personal preference to use as a way to judge the moral quality of their own actions.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I take it the creator of the OP has never bothered to actually read the declaration of independence which enumerated the many grievances the colonies had against the king of England then? Or the many papers written?

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Naturally I'm talking Boston Tea Party and Beyond But, even when America was the 13 British colonies, has it EVER followed God or the Bible?
When I look at Jude 1:12, considering that was happening as the ink was drying. When has anybody EVER followed God or the Bible?

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,917.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Naturally I'm talking Boston Tea Party and Beyond But, even when America was the 13 British colonies, has it EVER followed God or the Bible?

Let's see, we went from a group of 13 colonies to a group of 13 colonies that wanted to secede from our King. I don't know about you? But doesn't the Bible say to respect our King and Governmental authorities? Last I checked it did. I mean, we seceded from the British King all because of a small tax hike in tea. Don't believe me, google it. Is that really a valid reason to secede from your King and to disobey your God all for a small tax hike and because King George III was a little bit tyrannical? You didn't see England seceding from King George III do you? Or Kings that were MUCH MUCH worse like the Bloody Mary? Or .No they obeyed their monarchy for over 1,000 years and it doesn't matter how evil they are, they were placed on the throne BY GOD! So, is it really a reason of war to throw tons of tea into the harbor in retaliation to the tax hike and because your King wouldn't let you worship a little bit like you wanted? That doesn't sound like respect for your King to me. That's spitting in his face.

Then we have America today where in some states, it's legal to murder a full term living breathing baby, we have feminism on the rise more than ever before (Feminism is WAY against the Bible and if you object to that, and praise Feminism you aren't really all that educated on what the Bible actually has to say on the subject.), It's legal for two men or two women to get married, something the Bible says is an abomination.

So America getting it's freedom didn't make the country better, IT MADE IT FAR WORSE! It made America a country that is basically like Sodom and Gomorrah only much, much worse!

Yeah... Judgement TOTALLY isn't coming to America... I spit on the image of "In God we Trust" if you trusted God, you would have stayed with your King, stayed loyal to your Bible that you claim to follow, and would have stayed loyal to Christ. Instead, there are Governors in power that could care less about the American people except for their vote. Making such ungodly laws. While, the United Kingdom and it's territories are all mostly free from the absolute reign of the English monarchy.

That's what the most stupid part of history is. If the 13 Colonies would have waited 100-200 years? (Which is nothing in the grand scheme of things) THEY WOULD HAVE MOSTLY GOTTEN THEIR FREEDOM! If they trusted God, they would have gotten the freedom that they wanted! The only difference is they would have had a Prime Minister telling them what to do which is now... basically a president! Think about it! Every country or territory as of 100 years ago or less has gotten their freedom! The English monarchy is mostly dead! I'm not saying her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II doesn't do anything for the church or for her people (She does). But, no longer is it, "what the monarchy says goes" there are prime ministers governing everything and the monarchy has to go through the prime minister. So your hike in tea? You probably would have only had to worry about until King George III died! Then after that, you would have HAD your freedom that you wanted SO badly. You would have had your tea, and thousands of Tories and Patriots wouldn't have lost their lives for ABSOLUTELY nothing!

Yup, in God we trust....

There are highs and lows in the relationship with God, but I do believe America has been blessed cause God matters to most of its people and always has. Each age can be criticised by the values of another. But the most important thing is the relationship with God, right or wrong, confused or clear, with partial or complete understanding God wants that connection above all else. America has had that connection.

That said, talking as a Brit, the revolution was an act of evil ;-)

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
View attachment 288620

If you just add the word "THIS" between In and God, it will make much more sense.
No man can have two masters.
He will love the one and hate the other.
You can not serve both God and Mammon.

"In God We Trust" was added to coins about 81 years or there about after becoming a Nation.

"
From Treasury Department records, it appears that the first such appeal came in a letter dated November 13, 1861. It was written to Secretary Chase by Rev. M. R. Watkinson, Minister of the Gospel from Ridleyville, Pennsylvania, and read:

Dear Sir: You are about to submit your annual report to the Congress respecting the affairs of the national finances.
One fact touching our currency has hitherto been seriously overlooked. I mean the recognition of the Almighty God in some form on our coins.

" History of 'In God We Trust'

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
"In God We Trust" was added to coins about 81 years or there about after becoming a Nation.

"
From Treasury Department records, it appears that the first such appeal came in a letter dated November 13, 1861. It was written to Secretary Chase by Rev. M. R. Watkinson, Minister of the Gospel from Ridleyville, Pennsylvania, and read:

Dear Sir: You are about to submit your annual report to the Congress respecting the affairs of the national finances.
One fact touching our currency has hitherto been seriously overlooked. I mean the recognition of the Almighty God in some form on our coins.

" History of 'In God We Trust'

I agree with the sentiment and original intent; I'm just cynical around the financial/markets worship of mammon these days. It's fine to have the slogan "In God We Trust" on the coinage of a nation that trusts in God. It would be a bit of an ironic blasphemy though if the nation that put that on their coinage actually really came to trust in their wealth, not God, and to pursue more wealth, not God, thereby making the coinage itself the God they trusted in.

Not that that would ever happen ;) But, I think what I've learned lately is that faith is a better thing to have than cynicism. So God bless America, and may it have a good day today.

Upvote 0

East of Eden

Feb 20, 2021
Albuquerque
✟36,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
We have a lot more reason to be upset today than in 1776. It all depends on who writes the history, succession in 1776 was 'good', but succession in 1861 was 'bad'. I really have zero patriotism for this nation anymore, we facilitate the murder of more innocent people by abortion than Hitler ever dreamed of, and the deviancy of gay marriage and transgenderism. See the recently passed 'Equality Bill'. The Islamists aren't all wrong when they call us the Great Satan. It even bugs me to see an American flag on the platform at church near the Christian flag. Did the early church have a Roman flag with SPQR right up front? I doubt it. We are a pagan nation with a Christian remnant.

I also wouldn't say Canada, NZ or Australia have suffered because they never had a violent separation from the UK.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

East of Eden

Feb 20, 2021
Albuquerque
✟36,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So Moses should have told the Jews to stay in Egypt? And Pharaoh paid a great price for trying to force them to stay. The Jews were ruled over by foreign kings. They voluntarily and happily left Babylon. When the Roman occupation of Israel ended, I assume the Jews weren't too dismayed over it. When the colonies quit England the king sent his army over here to fight us. We didn't invade England. There would have been no war at all if King George hadn't insisted on one.

That's like saying there would have been no Civil War if Lincoln hadn't invaded the South.

Every 4 years America has the opportunity to commit a rebellion. If Trump was the ruler, how come it chose to reject him?

God's judgement? :wave:

Upvote 0

East of Eden

Feb 20, 2021
Albuquerque
✟36,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I believe America followed God wholeheartedly in the days of the pilgrims coming on the Mayflower, this may be why God still blesses our country to this day!! He remembers our ancestors!

Perhaps, and there is still a significant Christian remnant. I pray for revival in this country daily, while at the same time realizing I'm a citizen of heaven just passing through here.

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Let's see, we went from a group of 13 colonies to a group of 13 colonies that wanted to secede from our King. I don't know about you? But doesn't the Bible say to respect our King and Governmental authorities? Last I checked it did. I mean, we seceded from the British King all because of a small tax hike in tea. Don't believe me, google it. Is that really a valid reason to secede from your King and to disobey your God all for a small tax hike and because King George III was a little bit tyrannical? You didn't see England seceding from King George III do you? Or Kings that were MUCH MUCH worse like the Bloody Mary? Or .No they obeyed their monarchy for over 1,000 years and it doesn't matter how evil they are, they were placed on the throne BY GOD! So, is it really a reason of war to throw tons of tea into the harbor in retaliation to the tax hike and because your King wouldn't let you worship a little bit like you wanted? That doesn't sound like respect for your King to me. That's spitting in his face.

Then we have America today where in some states, it's legal to murder a full term living breathing baby, we have feminism on the rise more than ever before (Feminism is WAY against the Bible and if you object to that, and praise Feminism you aren't really all that educated on what the Bible actually has to say on the subject.), It's legal for two men or two women to get married, something the Bible says is an abomination.

So America getting it's freedom didn't make the country better, IT MADE IT FAR WORSE! It made America a country that is basically like Sodom and Gomorrah only much, much worse!

Yeah... Judgement TOTALLY isn't coming to America... I spit on the image of "In God we Trust" if you trusted God, you would have stayed with your King, stayed loyal to your Bible that you claim to follow, and would have stayed loyal to Christ. Instead, there are Governors in power that could care less about the American people except for their vote. Making such ungodly laws. While, the United Kingdom and it's territories are all mostly free from the absolute reign of the English monarchy.

That's what the most stupid part of history is. If the 13 Colonies would have waited 100-200 years? (Which is nothing in the grand scheme of things) THEY WOULD HAVE MOSTLY GOTTEN THEIR FREEDOM! If they trusted God, they would have gotten the freedom that they wanted! The only difference is they would have had a Prime Minister telling them what to do which is now... basically a president! Think about it! Every country or territory as of 100 years ago or less has gotten their freedom! The English monarchy is mostly dead! I'm not saying her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II doesn't do anything for the church or for her people (She does). But, no longer is it, "what the monarchy says goes" there are prime ministers governing everything and the monarchy has to go through the prime minister. So your hike in tea? You probably would have only had to worry about until King George III died! Then after that, you would have HAD your freedom that you wanted SO badly. You would have had your tea, and thousands of Tories and Patriots wouldn't have lost their lives for ABSOLUTELY nothing!

Yup, in God we trust....
Americans?? Yes of course. America?? Not so much.

Upvote 0