Has America EVER followed God?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟917,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Naturally I'm talking Boston Tea Party and Beyond But, even when America was the 13 British colonies, has it EVER followed God or the Bible?

Let's see, we went from a group of 13 colonies to a group of 13 colonies that wanted to secede from our King. I don't know about you? But doesn't the Bible say to respect our King and Governmental authorities? Last I checked it did. I mean, we seceded from the British King all because of a small tax hike in tea. Don't believe me, google it. Is that really a valid reason to secede from your King and to disobey your God all for a small tax hike and because King George III was a little bit tyrannical? You didn't see England seceding from King George III do you? Or Kings that were MUCH MUCH worse like the Bloody Mary? Or .No they obeyed their monarchy for over 1,000 years and it doesn't matter how evil they are, they were placed on the throne BY GOD! So, is it really a reason of war to throw tons of tea into the harbor in retaliation to the tax hike and because your King wouldn't let you worship a little bit like you wanted? That doesn't sound like respect for your King to me. That's spitting in his face.

Then we have America today where in some states, it's legal to murder a full term living breathing baby, we have feminism on the rise more than ever before (Feminism is WAY against the Bible and if you object to that, and praise Feminism you aren't really all that educated on what the Bible actually has to say on the subject.), It's legal for two men or two women to get married, something the Bible says is an abomination.

So America getting it's freedom didn't make the country better, IT MADE IT FAR WORSE! It made America a country that is basically like Sodom and Gomorrah only much, much worse!

Yeah... Judgement TOTALLY isn't coming to America... I spit on the image of "In God we Trust" if you trusted God, you would have stayed with your King, stayed loyal to your Bible that you claim to follow, and would have stayed loyal to Christ. Instead, there are Governors in power that could care less about the American people except for their vote. Making such ungodly laws. While, the United Kingdom and it's territories are all mostly free from the absolute reign of the English monarchy.

That's what the most stupid part of history is. If the 13 Colonies would have waited 100-200 years? (Which is nothing in the grand scheme of things) THEY WOULD HAVE MOSTLY GOTTEN THEIR FREEDOM! If they trusted God, they would have gotten the freedom that they wanted! The only difference is they would have had a Prime Minister telling them what to do which is now... basically a president! Think about it! Every country or territory as of 100 years ago or less has gotten their freedom! The English monarchy is mostly dead! I'm not saying her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II doesn't do anything for the church or for her people (She does). But, no longer is it, "what the monarchy says goes" there are prime ministers governing everything and the monarchy has to go through the prime minister. So your hike in tea? You probably would have only had to worry about until King George III died! Then after that, you would have HAD your freedom that you wanted SO badly. You would have had your tea, and thousands of Tories and Patriots wouldn't have lost their lives for ABSOLUTELY nothing!

Yup, in God we trust....

• Informative
Reactions: Dave L

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
When it comes to the OP and other similar kinds of messages like it, I think it is fair to point to the differences between the United States and Israel. Today lots of conservatives want to operate with the idea that United States is a kind of anointed nation etc. (A point of view that is popularized today in books like the Harbinger etc.). But the actual facts really don't support that, at least not to the degree of their assumptions when it comes to these speculations of the wrath of God.

Ancient Israel was a monolithic cultural theocracy etc. compared to the U.S. being a largely Christian Republic made up of many religious sects, but all of them being guided by Lockean freedom of conscience to pursue religion as they see fit. So in ancient Israel it was literally forbidden to worship Baal etc. while in the U.S. if you somehow wanted to do that, completely theoretically possible just as long as you avoid certain activities like actual child sacrifice when it comes to your religion. It is this freedom of religion, conscience etc. that does allow for questionable things like slavery in the past, and eventually religious bodies being open minded on issues like abortion / "prochoice" etc.

Besides this my best friend likes to point out, how when it comes to the doom and gloom stuff very few people ever think about Europe and other parts of the world. I'm talking about some of the Bowles of wrath kind of prophecies and prophetic interpretations of eschatology, where God is going to allow the destruction of the U.S. because of abortion etc. Besides this it should be pointed out that, The United States is not the first "Christian Nation" there have been other ones in the past.

e.g. - Armenia was the first actual official "Christian Nation" going back to their king enthusiastically converting to Christianity in AD 300, 20 years before Constantine. In many ways, Great Britain with its empire was a "Christian Nation" more impressive the U.S. for a few centuries, notably pioneering the sending of missionaries to foreign lands long before Americans began to do that etc. And likewise much can be said of other kingdoms and empires like the Byzantine Empire, Kingdom of Ethiopia, Egypt (before Islam) Lebanon, Russian empire and Holy Roman Empire.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
And one of the points I wanted to make above is that God judges us according to our deeds, according to the Bible and not according to the nation we happen to be living in.

Exodus 32:34
Now go, lead the people to the place I told you. Behold, My angel shall go before you. But on the day I settle accounts, I will punish them for their sin."

Job 34:11
For according to a man's deeds, He repays him; according to a man's ways, He brings consequences.

Psalm 62:12
and loving devotion to You, O Lord. For You will repay each man according to his deeds.

Proverbs 24:12
If you say, "Behold, we did not know about this," will not He who weighs hearts consider it? Does not the One who guards your life know? Will He not repay a man according to his deeds?

Ecclesiastes 3:17
I said in my heart, "God will judge the righteous and the wicked, since there is a time for every activity and every deed."

Jeremiah 17:10
I, the LORD, search the heart; I test the mind to reward a man according to his way, by what his deeds deserve.

Ezekiel 18:20
The soul who sins is the one who will die. A son will not bear the iniquity of the father, and a father will not bear the iniquity of the son. The righteousness of the righteous man will fall upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked man will fall upon him.

Ezekiel 36:19
I dispersed them among the nations, and they were scattered throughout the lands. I judged them according to their ways and their deeds.

Matthew 16:27
For the Son of Man will come in His Father's glory with His angels, and then He will repay each one according to what he has done.

2 Corinthians 11:15
It is not surprising, then, if his servants masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their actions.

2 Timothy 4:14
Alexander the coppersmith did great harm to me. The Lord will repay him according to his deeds.

Romans 2:6 God "will repay each one according to his deeds."

Upvote 0

a-lily-of-peace

Apr 21, 2020
Australia
✟28,113.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
England did depose their King prior to the US Revolutionary War.

English Civil War - Wikipedia

“Unlike other civil wars in England, which were mainly fought over who should rule, these conflicts were also concerned with how the three kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland were to be governed. The outcome was threefold: the trial and execution of Charles I (1649); the exile of his son, Charles II (1651); and the replacement of English monarchy with the Commonwealth of England, which from 1653 (as the Commonwealth of England, Scotland, and Ireland) unified the British Isles under the personal rule of Oliver Cromwell (1653–58) and briefly his son Richard (1658–59).”

Last edited:
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yup, in God we trust....

upload_2020-11-12_9-29-3.png

If you just add the word "THIS" between In and God, it will make much more sense.
No man can have two masters.
He will love the one and hate the other.
You can not serve both God and Mammon.

• Informative
Reactions: A_JAY
Upvote 0

section9+1

Mar 12, 2017
US
✟81,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So Moses should have told the Jews to stay in Egypt? And Pharaoh paid a great price for trying to force them to stay. The Jews were ruled over by foreign kings. They voluntarily and happily left Babylon. When the Roman occupation of Israel ended, I assume the Jews weren't too dismayed over it. When the colonies quit England the king sent his army over here to fight us. We didn't invade England. There would have been no war at all if King George hadn't insisted on one. Every 4 years America has the opportunity to commit a rebellion. If Trump was the ruler, how come it chose to reject him?

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Naturally I'm talking Boston Tea Party and Beyond But, even when America was the 13 British colonies, has it EVER followed God or the Bible?

Let's see, we went from a group of 13 colonies to a group of 13 colonies that wanted to secede from our King. I don't know about you? But doesn't the Bible say to respect our King and Governmental authorities? Last I checked it did. I mean, we seceded from the British King all because of a small tax hike in tea. Don't believe me, google it. Is that really a valid reason to secede from your King and to disobey your God all for a small tax hike and because King George III was a little bit tyrannical? You didn't see England seceding from King George III do you? Or Kings that were MUCH MUCH worse like the Bloody Mary? Or .No they obeyed their monarchy for over 1,000 years and it doesn't matter how evil they are, they were placed on the throne BY GOD! So, is it really a reason of war to throw tons of tea into the harbor in retaliation to the tax hike and because your King wouldn't let you worship a little bit like you wanted? That doesn't sound like respect for your King to me. That's spitting in his face.

Then we have America today where in some states, it's legal to murder a full term living breathing baby, we have feminism on the rise more than ever before (Feminism is WAY against the Bible and if you object to that, and praise Feminism you aren't really all that educated on what the Bible actually has to say on the subject.), It's legal for two men or two women to get married, something the Bible says is an abomination.

So America getting it's freedom didn't make the country better, IT MADE IT FAR WORSE! It made America a country that is basically like Sodom and Gomorrah only much, much worse!

Yeah... Judgement TOTALLY isn't coming to America... I spit on the image of "In God we Trust" if you trusted God, you would have stayed with your King, stayed loyal to your Bible that you claim to follow, and would have stayed loyal to Christ. Instead, there are Governors in power that could care less about the American people except for their vote. Making such ungodly laws. While, the United Kingdom and it's territories are all mostly free from the absolute reign of the English monarchy.

That's what the most stupid part of history is. If the 13 Colonies would have waited 100-200 years? (Which is nothing in the grand scheme of things) THEY WOULD HAVE MOSTLY GOTTEN THEIR FREEDOM! If they trusted God, they would have gotten the freedom that they wanted! The only difference is they would have had a Prime Minister telling them what to do which is now... basically a president! Think about it! Every country or territory as of 100 years ago or less has gotten their freedom! The English monarchy is mostly dead! I'm not saying her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II doesn't do anything for the church or for her people (She does). But, no longer is it, "what the monarchy says goes" there are prime ministers governing everything and the monarchy has to go through the prime minister. So your hike in tea? You probably would have only had to worry about until King George III died! Then after that, you would have HAD your freedom that you wanted SO badly. You would have had your tea, and thousands of Tories and Patriots wouldn't have lost their lives for ABSOLUTELY nothing!

Yup, in God we trust....

Americans for the most part followed God to the best of their reckoning on what that meant. We may disagree or agree with their conclusions on that but the majority of Americans over the history of the country were Christians and did follow God in their imperfect way.

• Agree
Reactions: Root of Jesse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Agree
Reactions: Aaron_Bethlhm
Upvote 0

GOD Shines Forth!

Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Yup, in God we trust....

What GOD allows, He could prevent. Can't unscramble scrambled eggs. But God can redeem through His Son and in the end remake all things new. That we have to wait for (in totality). For now we have "this present evil age" and its contradictions to deal with. Apart from ancient Israel--currently set aside as the kingdom of priests they were to be, but said "NO!" to--salvation is not offered through means of any government. Civil government's role is not salvific but remedial and punitive, to restrain wickedness and promote order.

This basic role is being subverted at all times by Satan and those under his control, and is branching out to build their ersatz "oneness" substitute for the oneness that can only be found IN CHRIST.

• Winner
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

A_JAY

Site Supporter
Mar 8, 2017
North Central
✟481,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: Aaron_Bethlhm
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks. It belongs in General Politics. It is a partisan piece.

I can't comment upon the degree of partisanship but I do think the topic would fit better in the General Politics forum. It is more about US history than the history of Christianity.

Upvote 0

A_JAY

Site Supporter
Mar 8, 2017
North Central
✟481,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can't comment upon the degree of partisanship but I do think the topic would fit better in the General Politics forum. It is more about US history than the history of Christianity.

Agreed that it belongs in General Politics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Yup, in God we trust....

If you so upset about the US, there are places you can go to where you would be a slave. Why not give them a try if it's so terrible here?

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
View attachment 288620

If you just add the word "THIS" between In and God, it will make much more sense.
No man can have two masters.
He will love the one and hate the other.
You can not serve both God and Mammon.

This makes zero sense! "In this God we trust" with a portrait of Lincoln has strange connotations.

BTW, who is "Mammon"? Is that another name for Honest Abe?

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This makes zero sense! "In this God we trust" with a portrait of Lincoln has strange connotations. BTW, who is "Mammon"? Is that another name for Honest Abe?

Oh, I'm sure it's not important, just something Jesus talked about.

When I said "In This God We Trust", I meant to say that overall the true God has been wealth at many times. "This" isn't meant to refer to Abe, it's meant to refer to the coin or money itself.

I will say though, that there would be a certain beauty to finally putting an honest statement on a coin with Honest Abe.
upload_2020-11-23_7-49-30.png

upload_2020-11-23_7-48-20.png

You need some sunglasses. Here, have a pair.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aaron_Bethlhm

Nov 20, 2020
New Jerusalem (destination)
✟2,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
I will say though, that there would be a certain beauty to finally putting an honest statement on a coin with Honest Abe.
:)
"Give to Abe what is Abe's" ? and still give to God what is God's ......

Upvote 0