Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not familiar with the one drop rule.
You know ... one drop of black blood (i.e. one black ancestor) ... makes you officially black.

The American rule was more black and white (pardon the pun) than the South African rule where there was a legal catgory for whites (i.e. no black heritage), coloreds (i.e. some black heritage), ... and blacks (i.e. all black heritage).

Trevor Noah recounts how the South African system gaves his family fits as he was coming up. Due to laws against blacks and whites procreating, it was a crime for a black woman (like Trevor's mother) to have a colored child (like Trevor) ... whose father was white.

So they had to pretend that Trevor's mother ... was really his nanny ... to keep the family out of trouble.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It's an interesting question. It cannot be anywhere close to a majority, that's for sure.

Most Americans descend from immigrants who arrived since the Civil War and, as has already been discussed, it was only 16 or so of our present day states in which slavery was practiced at the time of the war, and most people living in those states were not slave-owners themselves. It's not going to add up to a lot of Americans in total, percentage-wise.

Which brings us back to the big question:

"Ok... so?"

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You mean ... her heritage is not strictly US African-American.

Though her heritage experience is pretty similar to that of US African-Americans ...
No, it's not. However, the real issue could be something else.

I am referring to the impression, the perception, of black voters.

How many of them resent the designated nominee not being an actual descendant of American slaves and their offspring who went through the days of Jim Crow, legal segregation, lynchings, the KKK when it was a significant force during Reconstruction and, later within the Democratic Party nationally, job discrimination, etc.?

I guess it remains to be seen how many voters fall on which side of that issue.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh, he's dumb ... per presidential standards.

W would wipe the floor with him in a cognitive test ... just sayin' ...
No, he's dumb according to your standards. In my opinion, he's definitely one of the top five presidents. I don't know who "W" is, but it's way more likely he would do that to Biden before Trump ... just sayin'

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
No, he's dumb according to your standards. In my opinion, he's definitely one of the top five presidents. I don't know who "W" is, but it's way more likely he would do that to Biden before Trump ... just sayin'
George W Bush. And given what he recently had to say about Trump at John Lewis’ funeral, I seriously doubt that.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
She is (don't forget the "one drop" rule) but she is not an African American--her father is Jamaican.
This is where I get confused. Her father isn't a white Jamaican, neither is he an indigenous Jamaican? Her father is an African Jamaican, isn't he?
So if he's African Jamaican, African born in Jamaica, isn't Kamala African American, African born in America?
There are pictures of him in this article.

KAMALA05.jpg

Her paternal great-grandmother in Jamaica.
How Kamala Harris’ immigrant parents shaped her life — and her political outlook – Chico Enterprise-Record

Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
She is mixed race. Half Jamaican half Indian. 100% American.
I never said she wasn't American. But I've never heard a Jamaican called black. Unless her ancestors in Jamaica were from Africa

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am referring to the impression, the perception, of black voters.

How many of them resent the designated nominee not being an actual descendant of American slaves and their offspring who went through the days of Jim Crow, legal segregation, lynchings, the KKK when it was a significant force during Reconstruction and, later within the Democratic Party nationally, job discrimination, etc.?

The majority of US blacks are celebrating Kamala's selection ... just like the majority of US blacks celebrated Obama's elections ... despite the differences in their heritages ...

Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
George W Bush. And given what he recently had to say about Trump at John Lewis’ funeral, I seriously doubt that.
Let me rephrase then. He should do it to Biden before he would even think of doing it to Trump.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Don't worry, you don't need a tv.

You can watch both on youtube:

It's funny at first but after a while you will probably experience a burning desire for a swift lobotomy.
I didn't watch the whole thing, but from what I saw, I thought Trump did fine. Why do you care so much anyway if you're from Germany?

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I never said she wasn't American. But I've never heard a Jamaican called black. Unless her ancestors in Jamaica were from Africa
Jamaica is 92% black majority. I don’t know what Jamaica you’re thinking of but they’re more black than America is white.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The majority of US blacks are celebrating Kamala's selection
Probably so, but it matters how many. Had Biden chosen, say, one of the black Congresswomen, there is a chance it would have been a bigger percentage. Of course also, a lot depends on how she performs during the campaign.

Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jamaica is 92% black majority. I don’t know what Jamaica you’re thinking of but they’re more black than America is white.
They have dark skin, yes. I've still never heard them called blacks. I've always heard that term applied to those from Africa.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.