Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
So this is what you think enters the racist's mind, "Ah, Kamala Harris is descended from slave owners. Well, there is a theory that she may be descended from the illegitimate offspring of slave owners. I am going to ignore that theory, conclude that she is descended from the legitimate offspring of slave owners, and use this conclusion to delegitimize her on the basis of racism. Because I'm a racist."

Not doing much better on that logic test, are we? :rolleyes:

I don't know where you think this faulty logic is, but your summary is getting closer.

The OP in this thread said, "Wonder how they will dance around that issue?" With that statement, he both ignored the likelihood that rape was a part of this alleged lineage and he tried to delegitimize the "woke" crowd who are typically the ones who try to point out the generational impacts of slavery.

Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know where you think this faulty logic is, but your summary is getting closer.

The OP in this thread said, "Wonder how they will dance around that issue?" With that statement, he both ignored the likelihood that rape was a part of this alleged lineage and he tried to delegitimize the "woke" crowd who are typically the ones who try to point out the generational impacts of slavery.
Is there any evidence at all for this rape thing, or was it simply a feeble opinion put out by someone who didn't like what the OP was saying?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Let's see. You wonder how Jamaica has been different from the United States over, say, the last 400 years. How much time do we have?
What did I say? Well let's see, "How was slavery in Jamacia different than slavery in the US?"

I'll word it a little differently if that helps.
How was being a slave in Jamaica different than being a slave in the US?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Is there any evidence at all for this rape thing, or was it simply a feeble opinion put out by someone who didn't like what the OP was saying?

There's as much evidence for the rape thing as there is for the lineage in the first place.

The alleged lineage consists of an white slave owner and a black woman in a colony where slavery was still legal (though, depending on the exact year, possibly in the process of being phased out). As far as I'm aware, there's no documentation of this man being married or fathering children. If the lineage is accurate, then given the dynamics in place at the time, rape is a real possibility.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There's as much evidence for the rape thing as there is for the lineage in the first place.

Not true. The lineage comes from the testimony of Harris' father, who said nothing about rape.

Do you make up things out of thin air on a regular basis?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
What did I say? Well let's see, "How was slavery in Jamacia different than slavery in the US?"

I'll word it a little differently if that helps.
How was being a slave in Jamaica different than being a slave in the US?
It doesn't even matter. It's a question of what people think about it now. Who thinks the era of slavery in Jamaica was a "golden age?"

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Not true. The lineage comes from the testimony of Harris' father, who said nothing about rape.

I read her father's article. I also read the Snopes investigation into it. As far as I could tell, her father's claims weren't based on anything more than family lore. He may very well be re-telling them in good faith, but that doesn't mean they're correct.

Do you make up things out of thin air on a regular basis?

What am I making up? That slave owners raped their women? That the OP's point ignored that fact?

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Can anyone please explain why any of this matters? The right has already proven that persons past and their own behavior doesn't count much less that of their ancestors. That ship has sailed.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Snopes has a very informative article on this. Basically the claim that she’s descended from slave owners at all is ‘Unproven’ due to a lack of evidence, however the following was interesting:

Snopes said:
Complicated histories
Finally, it is worth noting that, even if it is true that the Harris family are descendants of the Antrim slave owner Hamilton Brown, they are also quite likely to be descendants of slaves. It is well-documented that British and Irish slave owners in the Caribbean (and their counterparts in the American colonies) routinely raped and engaged in illicit sex with female slaves, resulting in many “illegitimate” children of mixed racial heritage.

If it is the case, for example, that Christiana Brown was the daughter of Hamilton and Mary Melvina Brown, this means that two of Christiana’s siblings were Mabel Melvina and Edwin Hamilton Brown, both of whom were listed in their baptismal records as “colored,” that is of mixed race (as opposed to “black” or “white,” the other labels used in baptismal records at that time).

This in turn would mean that Hamilton Brown, a man born on the island of Ireland in the late 18th century and a prominent and powerful slave owner, had racially mixed grandchildren, after fathering a daughter (Mary Melvina) with a woman whose name did not appear on the baptismal certificate. Although we don’t have clear proof, that pattern strongly suggests that that particular branch of Brown’s family tree derived just as much from an enslaved woman, whose identity may well be lost to history, as it did from Brown himself.

Did U.S. Sen. Kamala Harris' Ancestor Own Slaves in Jamaica?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can anyone please explain why any of this matters? The right has already proven that persons past and their own behavior doesn't count much less that of their ancestors. That ship has sailed.
I'd say that's true of most on the right but certainly not all on the right. Every day more and more people on the right are adding their testimonies to RVAT (Republican Voters Against Trump). I watch them on YouTube because I can see how many views they are getting.
Boy, some of them get really slammed by Trump supporters which I find hypocritical. So many on the Right talk about their freedom of speech and freedom of religion are being taken away but then they criticize others for exercising their right to speak their politics and their religion.
Republican Voters Against Trump

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ya but sadly not surprising. Normally you’d hear an incumbent wish his opponent best of luck or something when the final ticket is announced but no, we can’t be normal anymore.
Not at the current time ...

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I read her father's article. I also read the Snopes investigation into it. As far as I could tell, her father's claims weren't based on anything more than family lore. He may very well be re-telling them in good faith, but that doesn't mean they're correct.

What am I making up? That slave owners raped their women? That the OP's point ignored that fact?

The random application of a historical possibility and testimony from a Stanford professor based on his family records do not carry equal weight.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I wonder how slavery in Jamaica was different than slavery in the US?

My understanding is that slavery in the Caribbean was even more brutal than in the USA. In fact instead of killing a rebellious slave outright they were frequently sold off into the Caribbean.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Skreeper

Jan 30, 2017
Germany
✟91,021.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Actually he never lost it. That was just a conspiracy theory put out by the Left.

Listening to his past few interviews, especially the Axios one, I doubt there is any brain left in that orange head of his.

But the one with Chris Wallace was also a real hoot.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By this logic there is no merit-based reason to vote for any Democrat that ran in the primary, because discrediting the opponent was the primary aim of the entire thing.
I watched the debates. This is entirely false.

If one wished to visit a negative invective-filled primary contest, one need look no further than the 2016 Republican primary ... featuring Donnie "little hands" Trump, “Lyin" Ted Cruz,” “Little Marco" Rubio, and “Low-Energy" Jeb Bush ...

• Agree
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How many racist posts saying Kamala Harris isn't black is this forum going to see before election day?
Logically, none ... since it's clear that Kamala has, at least, one drop of black blood ... and that's all it takes per American rules and practice ...

Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Listening to his past few interviews, especially the Axios one, I doubt there is any brain left in that orange head of his.

But the one with Chris Wallace was also a real hoot.
Oh, there is. I think you may be the one missing some of your brain. Shall I recommend a doctor for you to see?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.