Harriet Tubman on the $20? Trump’s Treasury Dept. Won’t Commit

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Harriet Tubman on the $20? Trump’s Treasury Dept. Won’t Commit
President Trump has tried to undo as many Obama-era policies as possible during his first 500 days in office, but his administration has remained curiously circumspect when it comes to one of his predecessor’s initiatives: putting Harriet Tubman on the $20 bill.

In a letter to Congress that was released on Tuesday, the Treasury Department praised Tubman, a former slave and abolitionist who is a civil rights hero, but made no commitment as to whether she would one day be the new face of the $20.

In 2016, former Secretary Jacob J. Lew announced that the currency was being redrawn, adding Tubman to the front and moving President Andrew Jackson to the back. The new designs were expected to be unveiled in 2020.

Don't worry, it's coming...
$

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don’t know exactly how all of this works, but why didn’t it happen during Obama’s administration?

Nobody ever really intended to put Harriet Tubman on the $20. This was confirmed last year some time.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You can really answer this question yourself by looking at the time between redesign and printing. But really, why would this need to occur under the Obama administration?
Was it his administration that started this?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Are you suggesting that any changes to currency must be within the confines of a particular administration? Why does that need to happen under Obama but not other presidents?
I’m just asking a question. You seem to be getting defensive for no reason.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I don’t know exactly how all of this works, but why didn’t it happen during Obama’s administration?

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that there's a regular schedule for currency redesign. The $20 bill's turn is in 2020. I won't swear to that though.

Harriet Tubman is certainly a worthy choice. But at some point, I'd like to see someone from the world of science/technology on a bill or coin. Albert Einstein, maybe. (I don't think one has to be a native born American to be on the money. Alexander Hamilton wasn't. You just have to be dead.) Thomas Edison, Rachel Carson, or Margaret Mead are good possibilities. Carl Sagan would be a great choice. After a trip across the pond a while back, I've kept a £10 note. The Queen of course, is on the front. But it has Charles Darwin (and a hummingbird) on the back. That's uber cool.

DarwinTenPoundNote.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I vaguely remember reading somewhere that there's a regular schedule for currency redesign. The $20 bill's turn is in 2020. I won't swear to that though.
Thanks. That’s what I was wondering.

Does anyone know if the former Secretary of Treasury approved it?

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Are you suggesting that any changes to currency must be within the confines of a particular administration? Why does that need to happen under Obama but not other presidents?
Because, since Trump is president. It probably won't happen.

• Agree
Reactions: LostMarbels
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I remember voting for the change on the 20 dollar bill. I voted for Wilma Mankiller myself, because she was a Principal Chief of the Cherokee and a women's right activist. On another note, I'm not surprised the Trump administration is dragging its feet about this and that many of his supporters object to it. But I don't think I can say why I think there is a delay from Trump or objection from his supporters without getting into trouble for saying it. So, I'll just leave it here for now.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

The initial impetus was to have a female portrait starting in 2020 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Amendment allowing women to vote.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The initial impetus was to have a female portrait starting in 2020 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Amendment allowing women to vote.
Thanks. Does anyone know if the former SoT approved it?

Upvote 0