Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
My atheist brother who crows on facebook all the time loves stuff like this. Some people definitely give us a bad name.

Indeed. I too have grown tired of non-Christians mocking the book of Revelation because of individuals like Harold Camping. Harold Camping, I can assure you, knows nothing about the book of Revelation and his predictions are not in any way associated with it. The following quote shows a little bit what I'm talking about:

Doomsday prophet, followers ‘flabbergasted’ world didn’t end - Yahoo! News

Camping's PR aide, Tom Evans, told the L.A. Times that the group is "disappointed" that 200 million true believers weren't lifted up to heaven on Saturday while everyone else suffered and eventually died as a series of earthquakes and famine destroyed the Earth.

Essentially, in the book of Revelation everyone does suffer and die - but it's for a reason that's often overlooked:

"9And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held: 10And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?" Rev. 6:9-10

The main reason for the judgments in Revelation is that the human race (under the reign of the antichrist) has killed all the real Christians (hint: there's not many of them). Hence the following verse as well:

"6For they have shed the blood of saints and prophets, and thou hast given them blood to drink; for they are worthy." REv. 16:6

We can see then, the attempt of the article to take a swipe at the book of Revelation - implying that the suffering and death of the human race at that point is somehow unjust - in other words, erecting a straw-man. I've seen this done countless times.

Not only that, but the followers have placed their faith in one man rather than one God. Now their faith is going to be severely shaken and they will be left clueless on what to do next. If only their leader would come out of hiding...

I guess Camping is supposed to release a statement today. However he says (same article):

"It has been a really tough weekend," Camping said Sunday, after emerging from his Alameda, California home for the first time to talk to a reporter from the San Francisco Chronicle. "I'm looking for answers ... But now I have nothing else to say," he said, adding that he would make a full statement today.

Indeed, like you said, his followers were taken in by a false prophet:

Robert Fitzpatrick, who spent $140,000 of his life savings to advertise the rapture in New York, said he was dumbfounded when life went on as usual Saturday.
"I do not understand why ...," he told Reuters while awaiting the event in Times Square. "I do not understand why nothing has happened."

An NPR reporter talked to two Camping followers on Sunday. "One man, his voice quavering, said he was still holding out hope that they were one day off. Another believer asserted that their prayers worked: God delayed judgment so that more people could be saved, but the end is 'imminent,'" she reported.

LOL... the new date I am sure is TBA :D

LOL. If only people would actually understand that the end is based off of the signs and not off of dates.

I have been telling people over and over that we need a global government and an antichrist before the book of Revelation can begin. Everyone should listen to me, and then they'd stop spending their money following evil people like Harold Camping.

As far as all of the time and money that Camping's followers lost, I remain extremely skeptical that Camping will be reimbursing them. Here's what one of their spokesmen had to say about it (same article):

Evans, Camping's PR aide, told NPR he hopes Family Radio will reimburse followers who spent their savings in anticipation of the rapture, but that he can't guarantee it.

I doubt that any reimbursement will happen - so it looks like that guy who spent $140,000 from his savings account to testify of charlatan Harold Camping's false prophecies is out 140,000 bucks.

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
It seems that people can never just simply admit that they were wrong. Indeed, even though it was abundantly obvious prior to May 21st, 2011 that no judgment would happen on that day, and now even more obvious, some of Harold Camping's followers cannot seem to see it:

NPR.org » Doomsday Believers Cope With An Intact World

As recently as two weeks ago, Gary Vollmer was absolutely certain that on May 21, 2011, God would send devastating earthquakes, raise believers to heaven in the "rapture," and then destroy the world five months later. Now that it hasn't happened, Vollmer is unfazed.

True, he says, believers got some of the details wrong. But the thrust of the message is right.
"Judgment Day has come and passed, but it was a spiritual judgment on the world," he explains. "There is no more salvation. Salvation is over with. The fact is we have 153 days, and on the 21st of October, the world will end."

Tom Evans was contrite. Evans is on the board of Family Radio, the organization led by Harold Camping, who calculated and promoted the May 21 date.
"I don't know where we went wrong other than that we obviously don't understand the Scriptures in the way that we should," he says.

The reason, by the way, that you don't understand the Scriptures the way that you "should" is simply because you can't read what's in there:

"36But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only." Mt. 24:36

In addition, Jesus Christ gives a very explicit warning about false prophets such as Harold Camping in Luke:

"8And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them." Lu. 21:8

The warning Christ is giving here is against those who say that the time of the end is drawing near. Christ is saying that many will come in his name, saying that he is the Christ, and will predict that the end is near - and he warns not to go after them. Christ then gives a slew of signs by which you can know that the end is near - and he gives these signs in the book of Revelation as well. And Paul gives them in 2 Thess. 2 as well.

In other words, the individuals at Family Radio really have no excuse. Basically, they wanted Christ to return so they forced a bunch of things into the Scriptures that weren't there and overlooked all of the Biblical evidence. This is reminiscent of the Jonestown group that fled the United States because they were convinced of the imminent destruction of "Babylon America" by nuclear weapons. These individuals failed to realize three points:

1) Babylon isn't destroyed until the Second Coming of Jesus Christ (Rev. 16:16-21)

2) God saves all the real Christians out of Babylon (this should be common sense, really - see Rev. 18:4)

3) No real Christian should fear death or even be slightly dismayed by death. Hence, no reason to "flee Babylon" because you're afraid to die.

In other words, the Jonestown group rejected the Biblical evidence against their beliefs, the exact same thing that Harold Camping and all of his followers did.

Same article:

He says there have been dozens of doomsday prophets, though most don't pinpoint a date. One of the most famous was William Miller, a farmer and amateur Bible scholar. Miller convinced many people that Jesus would return in 1844. And when he didn't, people were crushed.
"One of their followers said they 'wept and wept all night until we could weep no more,' " Walls says. There was "just this utter sense of devastation because these people had sold out. And when it did not materialize, their lives were shattered in many ways."
They eventually decided that the judgment had occurred — but it happened in heaven. From that was born a new denomination, the Seventh-day Adventists.

They refused to admit they were wrong and rationalized their beliefs just like some of Camping's followers have done.

Harold Camping finally talked to the media:

Harold Camping 'flabbergasted'; rapture a no-show

"It has been a really tough weekend," said Harold Camping, the 89-year-old fundamentalist radio preacher who convinced hundreds of his followers that the rapture would occur on Saturday at 6 p.m.

"I'm looking for answers," Camping said, adding that meant frequent prayer and consultations with friends.

"But now I have nothing else to say," he said, closing the door to his home. "I'll be back to work Monday and will say more then."

More ammunition for non-Christians:

If that isn't bad enough, she said, Camping's false prophecy could have bigger impacts on religion.

"It's given people who hate Christianity an excuse to hate it even more," she said. "People can just paint with broad brush strokes."

Harold Camping now becomes a straw-man for the Bible and for Christianity.

Across town, a group of atheists gathered in Oakland's Masonic Center to observe the promised rapture in their own way.

"The issue is the Bible is mythology," said Larry Hicok, state director of the American Atheists, bluntly laying out his case.

So the bottom line for Camping and his followers: Go back to the Bible and see what Jesus Christ really has to say about the last days.

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
As I suspected, Harold Camping does not intend to give back the donations that he received from his followers (some cash-strapped, others spent thousands of dollars). Even though, based on my research, Family Radio (Camping's organization) could easily reimburse these people since they are a multi-million dollar organization.

Harold Camping Has No Plans to Give Back Donations

The pastor who predicted the end of the world over the weekend has no plans to give back the donations.

Nice job, Harold.

Upvote 0

Pythons

Feb 17, 2008
✟5,503.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I dunno, you seem to be playing into his hand . i think he needs less publicity not more .

Who's hand?
...The article I posted does not mention SDA denominational affiliation.
...The publicity I provided is that Doug Batchelor has ZERO right.
...In rebuking Harold Camping for setting dates.

The article hypes Batchelor as some type of authority on the Book of Revelation & prophecy in general....
....Given the history on SDA's this is certainly "news worthy".

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I hate to say it but financial gain may have been his motivation all along.

When you listen to the station you discover it is mostly tapes rolling. It may even be a one-man operation.

So, make a prediction, hype it, let it grow and bring in the donations, since "the end will be here soo anyhow", knowing full well you will have a nearly 100% falling-away of your listeners. It doesn' matter. You have enough bank to last out 10 years. By then you just start hyping another date, reinterpreting the old one and get a whole new crop o' dem newbie followers, yee hah!

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
I hate to say it but financial gain may have been his motivation all along.

When you listen to the station you discover it is mostly tapes rolling. It may even be a one-man operation.

So, make a prediction, hype it, let it grow and bring in the donations, since "the end will be here soo anyhow", knowing full well you will have a nearly 100% falling-away of your listeners. It doesn' matter. You have enough bank to last out 10 years. By then you just start hyping another date, reinterpreting the old one and get a whole new crop o' dem newbie followers, yee hah!

I thought that before (since this usually is the case), but I am not so sure now...

I think he might have just been in error and should repent.

If financial gain was not his motivation then he could reimburse his followers. But that's not going to happen, unless something changes.

I watched that youtube video you posted of Camping. It doesn't really seem like he's all there - I think he may just be too old to really fully comprehend reality. It's a sad case that folks were deceived by this man.

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
A few weeks before the rapture no-show, Camping was offered a $100,000 donation if he would sign over the ownership of his station beginning May 22. He did not take up that offer. Does that strike you as the actions of a true-believer?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It is only in the US that someone can be to old to really fully comprehend reality.

BTW, are you old enough to vote?

I watched that youtube video you posted of Camping. It doesn't really seem like he's all there - I think he may just be too old to really fully comprehend reality.

Upvote 0

OpenDoor

Faith + Hope + Love
Apr 17, 2007
✟10,786.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

OpenDoor

Faith + Hope + Love
Apr 17, 2007
✟10,786.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If financial gain was not his motivation then he could reimburse his followers. But that's not going to happen, unless something changes.
I hope he reimburses them also, but I think him and Family Radio are going to say that they spent all the money on advertising for May 21.

Maybe he will choose to sell all that he has in order to try to give back what he can, but only time will tell.

Upvote 0

OpenDoor

Faith + Hope + Love
Apr 17, 2007
✟10,786.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
A few weeks before the rapture no-show, Camping was offered a $100,000 donation if he would sign over the ownership of his station beginning May 22. He did not take up that offer. Does that strike you as the actions of a true-believer?

Do you have a source for this? If you look at the reasons Camping gave for May 21st, 2011 in your other thread where I posted, you'll see that his reasons are based on the flimsiest numerology (which is really saying something) at best. I'm not really sure why anyone, even himself, would buy what he was predicting.

I hope he reimburses them also, but I think him and Family Radio are going to say that they spent all the money on advertising for May 21.

Maybe he will choose to sell all that he has in order to try to give back what he can, but only time will tell.

In that case, they spent all of other people's money on advertising for May 21st, 2011. Let's take a look at a few verses from Peter:

"3And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not." 2 Pet. 2:3

Merchandise, #1710, emporeuomai,
1) to go a trading, to travel for business, to traffic, trade
2) of a thing, to import for sale
3) to deal in
4) to use a person or a thing for gain

Family Radio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Family Radio relies solely on listener-supported funding and donations, and is unaffiliated with any religious denomination.[4] Outside programming broadcast over the Family Radio network is aired free of charge and Family Radio does not sell programming time to ministries. Unlike other non-commercial stations, Family Radio stations do not get a percentage of donations coming from ministries in Family Radio listening areas. Few outside ministry programs are aired over Family Radio.
Family Radio had net assets of approximately $122 million in 2007.[5]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OpenDoor

Faith + Hope + Love
Apr 17, 2007
✟10,786.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Family Radio had net assets of approximately $122 million in 2007.
I was reading about this. I think Family Radio is going to claim that they have no more money (spent it on advertising). If FR still has a any value, they should very strongly consider selling FR and giving the money to the victims.

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Do you have a source for this? If you look at the reasons Camping gave for May 21st, 2011 in your other thread where I posted, you'll see that his reasons are based on the flimsiest numerology (which is really saying something) at best. I'm not really sure why anyone, even himself, would buy what he was predicting.

In that case, they spent all of other people's money on advertising for May 21st, 2011. Let's take a look at a few verses from Peter:

"3And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not." 2 Pet. 2:3

Merchandise, #1710, emporeuomai,
1) to go a trading, to travel for business, to traffic, trade
2) of a thing, to import for sale
3) to deal in
4) to use a person or a thing for gain

Family Radio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the source:
Amazing Facts President and Nationally Recognized Prophecy Speaker Challenges Harold Camping’s May 21st Judgment Day - Yahoo! News

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for the source, Summa.

Amazing Facts President and Nationally Recognized Prophecy Speaker Challenges Harold Camping’s May 21st Judgment Day - Yahoo! News

In fact, Pastor Batchelor has directly challenged Camping, offering him $100,000 to hand over the deed and rights to the Family Radio network following the May 21 deadline. He explains, “The Bible clearly teaches in Matthew 24:36 that ‘No man knows the day and hour’ of Jesus’ return. Christ also warned that in the last days, there would be many false teachers. It is worth asking then, does Camping’s prediction match what the Bible really tells us about Christ’s return? I don’t believe it does. But if Camping is right, he deserves the money to spread the message; if he’s wrong, he should not own a radio network.”
Batchelor also warns, “Reckless predictions of the second coming of Christ create an artificial excitement among believers followed by a corresponding depression. In addition, it hardens skeptics in their unbelief and provides new fodder for cynics to mock the Christian faith.” Across the country, hundreds of Family Radio listeners are quitting their jobs and selling their possessions. Pastor Batchelor hopes to set the record straight and save millions of believers the devastation, harm, and the embarrassment that will come to them having put their faith in the wild opinions of men and potentially losing everything they have. He says, “Based on Bible prophecy, we’ll all still be here May 22. So what can we do to save those caught up in this deception?”

Exactly what I've been saying. Batchelor sounds like a good guy.

But anyways, I was looking at some of Family Radio's theology (which I assume comes from Camping) and I have to say that these folks have no idea about the Scriptures at all. For example, in their article FACTS about May 21, 2011 it is stated:

What signs precede the Day of Judgment?
Jesus warned of several spiritual signs, such as the complete degradation of the Christian church, the devastating moral breakdown of society, the re-establishment of National Israel in1948,the emergence of the 'Gay Pride Movement', and the complete disregard of the Bible in all of society today as direct evidence of His return.

All of these things have been around for awhile. The real signs are given in Rev. 13, 2 Th. 2, Dan. 7/11, etc., which talk about a global government being ruled over by ten kings/nations and an antichrist.

What is the Timeline of History?
The timeline of history is God's predetermined timetable for the unfolding of God's Gospel program for this world. In other words the length of time between the day God created this world in 11,013 B.C. and the day he will destroy it in October 21, 2011.
The discovery of this information built the foundation for what God would later reveal from the Bible as the date for the end.
Judgment Day on May 21, 2011 is the culmination of five decades of intensive biblical study by Mr. Camping and other bible teachers who have discovered the same biblical data.

How does Camping know God created the world in 11,013 BC? I'm guessing based off of some flimsy numerology. In other words, he doesn't have a clue.

God knew before He created this world the exact day He would destroy it, the question is whether God reveals His plan to others.

He clearly doesn't. See Mt. 24:36 and other verses.

What will take place on May 21?
On May 21, 2011 two events will occur. These events could not be more opposite in nature, the one more wonderful than can be imagined; the other more horrific than can be imagined.
A great earthquake will occur the Bible describes it as "such as was not since men were upon the earth, so mighty an earthquake, and so great." This earthquake will be so powerful it will throw open all graves.The remains of the all the believerswho have ever lived will be instantly transformed into glorified spiritual bodies tobe forever with God.

So they're talking about Revelation 16 now? Don't we have an entire book of Revelation to go through before we get to Revelation 16? They must have interpreted the book of Rev. 100% symbolically instead of mostly literally - which is what it is (shown by Mt. 24, etc.).

In addition, the verse they quoted refers to the literal Second Coming of Jesus Christ at Armageddon. This can easily be shown by cross-referencing Rev. 16 with Rev. 19. This is obviously the "end of the world" - but Camping claims the "end of the world" doesn't happen until Oct. 21st, which is 5 months later (he must have interpreted the locust plague into this timeline).

Why RV Caravans?
In September of 2010 Family Radio developed a plan to send out teams of caravans consisting of recreational vehicles. The caravans travel into towns and cities across the United States warning of Judgment Day, May 21, 2011. Each member of the caravan project is a volunteer, who has dedicated his or her life to warn the people of the U.S. and boldly proclaim this very important message.

In other words, unpaid labor. Nice job, Harold.

Same webpage, the radio station wonders if:

What if May 21 ends and nothing occurs?
The Biblical evidence is too overwhelming and specific to be wrong. Christ's people can look with great confidence to this date because God promises His "beloved" He will not come upon them as a thief in the night.
God in His mercy has revealed the vital information needed to know the day. Judgment Day on May 21, 2011 will occur because the bible declares it. Anyone whom God has not saved will arrive at that day with no hope for salvation. God warns simply the "door will be shut."

What a fraud.

What do you say to those who insist we cannot know the precise date of Judgment Day?
For one to object to May 21st, 2011 one must have BIBLICAL AUTHORITY to do so. Objections cannot be based upon consensus, traditions or fear. God has given far too many biblical proofs for anyone to disregard May 21 simply because he or she does not like it.

Mt. 24:36.

So now I'm taking a look at a .pdf article written by Family Radio: http://www.familyradio.com/PDFS/jd_en.pdf which states their reasons for the May 21st, 2011 date.

That is why He has given us in advance of the destruction the exact time of the Day of Judgment. The Bible tells us in Amos 3:7: [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]"Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but He revealeth his secret unto His servants the prophets." [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

The book of Revelation was where he revealed his secret, and that's all you're going to get. Also, he plainly tells you you don't know the day or hour.

Then they begin to give their reasons...

In 2 Peter 3:8, which is quoted above, Holy God reminds us that one day is as 1,000 years. Therefore, with the correct understanding that the seven days referred to in Genesis 7:4 can be understood as 7,000 years, we learn that when God told Noah there were seven days to escape worldwide destruction, He was also telling the world there would be exactly 7,000 years (one day is as 1,000 years) to escape the wrath of God that would come when He destroys the world on Judgment Day.

Only problem is that the 7 days in Gen. 7:4 are not 7000 years at all, nor is there any reason to believe that they are any sort of "parable" since they are completely in context with the current event. The 2 Pet. 3:8 verse has no bearing whatsoever on the exact time of the end but is just stating that time is nothing to God.

Thus Holy God is showing us by the words of 2 Peter 3:8 that He wants us to know that exactly 7,000 years after He destroyed the world with water in Noah’s day, He plans to destroy the entire world forever.
Because the year 2011 A.D. is exactly 7,000 years after 4990 B.C. when the flood began, the Bible has given us absolute proof that the year 2011 is the end of the world during the Day of Judgment, which will come on the last day of the Day of Judgment.

The verses are not in the slightest connected.

Anyways, if you want to read more about Camping's ridiculous numerological non-arguments then you can go to their web link that I provided up above.

However, one thing I wanted to add was that Camping and his followers are a perfect example of the danger of interpreting the Bible symbolically and ignoring the fact that most of the time it simply says exactly what it means. E.G. - in the book of Revelation, when the entire ocean turns into blood, that's exactly what it means - the entire ocean goes blood-red.

Because they interpreted the Bible in this manner and did not follow any principles of logic or reason when interpreting the Scriptures, they have now wound up penniless (except, of course, for Family Radio network) and disillusioned.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,563.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
wow some of them have really taken a turn.

249545_10150259988672502_697322501_8810755_1522470_n.jpg

Login | Facebook
Another striking thing to mention is that 3.5 days (84 hours) after the 17th day of the 2nd month (evening of May 21) lands itself on the 21st day of the 2nd month. This is very important. Before May 21 didn't land on a Feast day. Every Feast Day fulfilled itself on a Feast Day (sorry to be so simple). This is why May 21 was not the day, b/c it wasn't on a Feast Day.

If we are correct in our study, the morning of the 21st day of the 2nd month, which is 7 days after the 14th day of the 2nd month (Passover) will be the FULFILLMENT of the the Feast of Unleavened Bread, and the day of our return to Christ.

Unfortunately, he will most definitely, come as a thief in the night to those who are in darkness.

Upvote 0