LDS Handshake Test (D&C 129)

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Name 10 Methodist pastors who believe in Heavenly Mother.
In the United Methodist church their "pastors" are called "preachers". They have women "preachers" too.

So since she is a Methodist preacher and is preaching over the pulpit, I can imagine that there are other preachers that agree with her, but that number is unknown. If no other "preacher" believed her, she would not be preaching over the pulpit. Right?

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Actually they are called Ministers or Pastors see examples. A Methodist Local Preacher is a layperson or deacon who has been accredited by a Methodist church to lead worship and preach on a regular basis.

So you IMAGINE there are others. How compelling.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Actually they are called Ministers or Pastors see examples. A Methodist Local Preacher is a layperson or deacon who has been accredited by a Methodist church to lead worship and preach on a regular basis.

So you IMAGINE there are others. How compelling.
If a Minister or Pastor or Local Preacher is preaching from the pulpit, can you not imagine that there are others in the congregation that would believe what the Minister or Pastor or Local Preacher is preaching?
I can. Perhaps not all will believe, but a % will.

Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Like you want me to give you names of who in Barker's congregation believes her? That would be tricky.

What other names are you talking about?

Names of other Methodist ministers that believe in Heavenly Mother.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Like you want me to give you names of who in Barker's congregation believes her? That would be tricky.

What other names are you talking about?
Yes, any name of her congregation who agrees with her would suffice for me.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
There was no excuse needed, just the truth that there are obviously mainline Christians that believe in Heavenly Mother. Unless you think the Methodists are a cult too.

There is another OP for this.

A True Christian? I doubt it very much. Not all people who attend churches are Christians.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
A True Christian? I doubt it very much. Not all people who attend churches are Christians.

One can look at just about every major branch or denomination of Christianity and find fringe loonies. It's just ridiculous in my opinion to take fringe kooks and treat them as representative of any tradition. I can find some fairly wacky people in my own Lutheran tradition (e.g. Jakob Boehme), but fringe kooks don't get to represent the tradition as a whole.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Names of other Methodist ministers that believe in Heavenly Mother.
I don't have the time to do such a thing. But 1 is enough for our purposes. Just 1 preacher, preaching from the Methodist pulpit that there is a Heavenly Mother is enough to prove that other Christians, at least 1 other Christian believes there is a Heavenly Mother.

I figure that if I did do the research, at least for Barkers congregation, there would be many that believes like she does. And if I did a research project for the every Christian church in the world, I would find thousands if not hundreds of thousands of Christians that believed in a Heavenly Mother.

In fact Anto9us, a Christian tells us on the Barker OP that he believes there is a Heavenly Mother.

But for our purposes, 1 is enough.

Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Here's a Methodist minister who has heretical views too. There are lots of false teachers wearing robes.

DAAADD7B-75BA-4731-88D3-0662E698F859-9285-000005E5F3BDD3BE.jpeg

Rev. Dr. Karen Oliveto
bishop of both the UMC's Rocky Mountain and Yellowstone Conferences
Married to Robin Ridenour, who is a deaconess in The United Methodist Church
Teaches Jesus was a bigot.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't have the time to do such a thing. But 1 is enough for our purposes. Just 1 preacher, preaching from the Methodist pulpit that there is a Heavenly Mother is enough to prove that other Christians, at least 1 other Christian believes there is a Heavenly Mother.

I figure that if I did do the research, at least for Barkers congregation, there would be many that believes like she does. And if I did a research project for the every Christian church in the world, I would find thousands if not hundreds of thousands of Christians that believed in a Heavenly Mother.

In fact Anto9us, a Christian tells us on the Barker OP that he believes there is a Heavenly Mother.

What is the name of her congregation?

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Here's a Methodist minister who has heretical views too. There are lots of false teachers wearing robes.

Rev. Dr. Karen Oliveto
Good research.

But for our purposes we know that there is at least 1 Christian that believes there is a Heavenly Mother.

Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But for our purposes we know that there is at least 1 Christian that believes there is a Heavenly Mother.

Not by CF definition of a Christian.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

Rev. Dr. Karen Oliveto

One can look at just about every major branch or denomination of Christianity and find fringe loonies. It's just ridiculous in my opinion to take fringe kooks and treat them as representative of any tradition. I can find some fairly wacky people in my own Lutheran tradition (e.g. Jakob Boehme), but fringe kooks don't get to represent the tradition as a whole.

-CryptoLutheran

Absolutely true. And sometimes they stay in the church for a while before they are asked to leave or they leave of their own accord. David Koresh was an offshoot that still gets credited to our church---Lord have mercy! I've been in several where some kook had weird ideas and insisted on teaching those ideas and had to be asked to leave--they were contrary to our believes. There is a difference between having a slight disagreement on something that is debatable, another to have differences that totally contradict the teachings of the church.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What is the name of her congregation?
You seem so proud of yourself to have 1 so-called Christian to support your heavenly mother notion. Can you answer the question of what the name of the church she preaches at? That may shed some light on this "gem" you've found.

Reactions: drstevej
Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
You seem so proud of yourself to have 1 so-called Christian to support your heavenly mother notion. Can you answer the question of what the name of the church she preaches at? That may shed some light on this "gem" you've found.
I could not find what church she preaches from, but her bio says that she is a Methodist preacher and she has been given awards for her scholarship, even from the Archbishop of Canterbury, certainly a Christian institution.

It is not that I am so proud of anything, I just ran across this person and with all the funny business that drsteve gives us about a Heavenly Mother, I thought this was interesting that there are other Chrstians that believe this too. He responded that she is not a Christian by this forums standards?

The question is: Is this Christian Margaret Barker so upsetting to you that you would attack her Christianity, because she may believe that there is a Heavenly Mother? Is that so diabolical to you that you can even call her a non-Christian too, even though she is a Methodist preacher in England and obviously believes in the Trinity and that it is by grace that you are saved, not of works lest ye boast. That is the question.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I could not find what church she preaches from, but her bio says that she is a Methodist preacher and she has been given awards for her scholarship, even from the Archbishop of Canterbury, certainly a Christian institution.

It is not that I am so proud of anything, I just ran across this person and with all the funny business that drsteve gives us about a Heavenly Mother, I thought this was interesting that there are other Chrstians that believe this too. He responded that she is not a Christian by this forums standards?

The question is: Is this Christian Margaret Barker so upsetting to you that you would attack her Christianity, because she may believe that there is a Heavenly Mother? Is that so diabolical to you that you can even call her a non-Christian too, even though she is a Methodist preacher in England and obviously believes in the Trinity and that it is by grace that you are saved, not of works lest ye boast. That is the question.
That she is not associated with any specific Methodist church, nor ever has been as far as I can find, is telling. She can think, teach, write, etc. whatever she wants, with no critical review of her works by the body of Christ. Some gem.

By the way, since you want to tout her recognition by the Archbishop of Canterbury, do you even know what it was for? Margaret received the doctorate "in recognition of her work on the Jerusalem Temple and the origins of Christian liturgy which has made a significant new contribution to our understanding of the New Testament and opened up important fields for research."

Nothing about a heavenly mother here, so that doesn't really support your point anyway. Her beliefs in that regard are heretical. Oh, and here's a Wikipedia list of her sources. Anyone who uses Gnostic texts as a basis for their theology is certainly suspect in their beliefs.

Margaret Barker works from all the available sources (the Hebrew Bible, the Septuagint, the Dead Sea scrolls, the New Testament, the Jewish and Christian Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha, Gnostic texts, and other early writings and artwork).

Upvote 0