Handling very difficult God questions from your child

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,
I haven't posted for ages, but I'm back again. I've got 3 lovely children and my youngest is 5yrs old. It is this little young lady who is asking super intelligent and difficult to answer questions about Christianity. I am floundering badly - I need to do a degree in Theology I think to keep up with her questions. You can't give her a round about half answer as it isn't good enough and she will keep hounding until she is satisfied. Please pray for her teachers this year for Kindy!
Last night she asked me why we have only one God. Oh help me! Because there just is - is not a good enough answer for her.
Any thoughts in child language out there?
Thanks Sam

pdfiddler

Nov 24, 2006
In it but not full of it.
✟15,394.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would tell her, let's go find out! Go buy a child's bible and start reading to her every day. If she is asking, then she is ready to know. When she asks a question, go look it up, with her. That way you both learn together. And that's FUN! :wave:

Upvote 0

linssue55

Senior Veteran
Jul 31, 2005
Tucson Az
✟11,739.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Hi there,
I haven't posted for ages, but I'm back again. I've got 3 lovely children and my youngest is 5yrs old. It is this little young lady who is asking super intelligent and difficult to answer questions about Christianity. I am floundering badly - I need to do a degree in Theology I think to keep up with her questions. You can't give her a round about half answer as it isn't good enough and she will keep hounding until she is satisfied. Please pray for her teachers this year for Kindy!
Last night she asked me why we have only one God. Oh help me! Because there just is - is not a good enough answer for her.
Thanks Sam

There are many wonderful christain books for children with pics and all. She is right, there are 3 individual Gods, ONE in essense, but 3 seperate individuals. Here are some verses.

THE TRINITY.........

The Father planned it; the Son executed it; the Spirit revealed it. The Father, the Son and the Spirit are three different persons although they have the same essence. But there is also a second word—LORD, which we simply translate Jehovah. Jehovah is in the singular and it always refers only to one person—sometimes to the Father, sometimes to the Son, and sometimes to the Holy Spirit. Elohim is a plural word used here because all three members of the Trinity were involved in the creation. The phrase “in the beginning,” bereshith, means that time actually began when creation began.

God the Father Planned it......
God the Son Created it.......
God the Holy Spirit restored/revealed it........

One in Essence, Yet 3 seperate persons............

..........(1) The Father; (Psa 31:5, Isa 65:16, Jer 10:10a, Jn 3:33, 17:3, Rom 3:4)

..........(2) The Son;
(Jn 1:14, 15:26, 16:13; 1Jn 5:6)

..........(3) The Holy Spirit;
(Jn 14:17, 15:26, 16:13; 1Jn 5:6)

.......(1) The Father's Love; (Jn 3:16, 1Jn 4:9)

.......(2) The Son's Love;
(1Jn 3:16a)

.......(3) The Holy Spirit's Love;
(Jn 16:8-11, 1Cor 2:9-11)

Upvote 0
Dec 5, 2005
✟19,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This sounds much like my 5 year old.

As for only one God. You could explain how we only need one because He is so powerful that He can do all things. The reason others have more than one god is because their gods each do different things. One god makes it rain, while another makes the trees grow (I'm not referencing any specific religion, just a general idea.) and that our One God can make it rain and the trees grow and the sun shine and the wind blow.

Just an idea. Hope it helps.

Upvote 0

Forest

Senior Veteran
Jan 3, 2005
In the Forest
✟19,245.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,
Thanks Sam

I know how you feel. My seven year old asked me "I know this is a stupid question, but how do you know what the bible says is true?"...

I have found that young kids usually want a simple answer...

As for your question, I would say "We only have one God because Jesus said so and I believe Him", and see where that leads...

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for your replies, I'm sure those answers will get me somewhere. I think it becomes complicated because she questions each answer you give her and then without knowing it you are starting to get out of her depth of understanding. Yes, we do have a great little 'read with me' children's Bible handed down from each of our children. She loves it so much. When I read it to her it takes me forever because she asks so many questions. I know God gave her such a beautiful inquiring mind and for that I'm grateful. (As I'm writing this, Louise comes in and gives a little daisy - it's for you mummy and big kiss). I just need to practice a little more patience sometimes and pray to God to give the right answers.

Thanks heaps, Sam

Upvote 0

LightDancer

Jesus, I'll never let go of you...
Jan 15, 2007
✟8,402.00
Hi there,
Thanks Sam

I think I would say because if we had more than one God, we would get confused. I think a 5 year old might understand that.

I might also say if there were lots of gods, then how would we decide who to pray too?

Try asking your daughter questions to see if you get feedback as to where she is coming from.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AllTalkNoAction

Potentially Wonderful
Aug 7, 2005
Near London, England
Visit site
✟19,423.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Hi Sam . . .
. . . . I am floundering badly - I need to do a degree in Theology I think to keep up with her questions.
Nope, have you received the Holy Spirit who "shall give you the given words in the given hour" ?

You can't give her a round about half answer as it isn't good enough and she will keep hounding until she is satisfied.
If only adults were more like that !
. . .almost makes me want to have children !

Please pray for her teachers this year for Kindy!
You get what offers and she will see the difference in you !

Last night she asked me why we have only one God. Oh help me!
God didn't need any other gods to help him create the Universe, so he doesn't need other gods to help Kindy !

Upvote 0

thunderlove

Jesus wept.
Jan 3, 2007
✟24,965.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My niece asks questions like these ^_^

My advice -- answer honestly, simply, and lovingly

* tell them the truth, in simple terms. "We have one God, because that's all there is! There is only one God -- and He is big and wonderful and everything we need!"
* if you don't know the answer, say, "Hmm..." :scratch: "Good question! I don't know..." Then you do some research, and share in learning!

Sometimes, the real trick is figuring out what they're asking ;)

A question like "Why do we only have one God?" might mean,

* "Some people have lots of gods, why do we only have one?"
* "Why doesn't God have brothers and sisters? Where did He come from?"
* "I have one nose, because I would look funny with two.... But God is invisible, so why do we only have one?"

Reactions: Nadiine
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rocklife

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
✟18,086.00
Faith
Christian
Hi there,
Thanks Sam

my 6 year old son was asking me many questions recently. Many of them, I answer what I can in kid friendly ways, but many times, he was happy when I asked him "what do you think (repeat his question)..." and he would answer his own questions. I agree or correct as needed, usually he had very good answers from his understanding though.

praying for you all

Upvote 0

Solaris

Jan 23, 2007
Pacific Northwest
✟8,477.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
How many creators of the universe do you need? One is surely enough.

A better answer that might be beyond her understanding, and is difficult for some Christians, is what I explained to my son. In answer to the God question I said, "At this very moment you are giving electrons to me and I am giving electrons to you. Everything does this. Everything is connected. Everything actually is Onething." He answered,
"That is matter, and there is matter we can't see. Spirit is also a type of matter, because spirit is energy and matter is energy." A reference to E=mc2 i guess.
There is only one God because there is only One All.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.