Handling the "so when are you going to get married" quesiton?

ItalianAngel

~Angels watching over me...~
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
dividing my time between Pittsburgh, PA & McFarlan
Visit site
✟30,014.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I'm sure those of us who are in LTR have been asked this question. How do you handle it?

Fortunately, I'm not asked too often, but whenever I am I just smile sweetly and say "Bob and I are enjoying our relationship and each other and we just want to trust in God's perfect timing." ;)

blessings,
~Michele:angel:

ItalianAngel

~Angels watching over me...~
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
dividing my time between Pittsburgh, PA & McFarlan
Visit site
✟30,014.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I will never allow myself to get into this situation. Once I find my woman we are on a plane to Vegas!

and risk getting married only to find out she's not the person you thought she was? You know when you start a relationship you always put your "best face forward". A relationship needs to go through it's ups and downs before marriage is considered, imho. You have to see how you handle the confrontations, and irritations because it's not always going to be all "wine and roses". Love takes time. You just can't rush these things.

blessings,
~Michele:angel:

Upvote 0
M

modelchick

I know what you mean....im still in high school and me and my b/f have been dating for 2 years which is pretty much the longest relationship at my school so everybody figures that me and him are going to get married. Even though we are still in high school people are always asking me that....well to answer that is easy for me considering im not an adult so i just say that we are only in high school and have a lot of growing up to do. But even if people asked me that as an adult I would probably get tired of it because they don't know what point you are in your relationship. But i think what you are saying sounds good.

Upvote 0

Briseis

Senior Veteran
Jan 31, 2006
✟10,555.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I know what you mean....im still in high school and me and my b/f have been dating for 2 years which is pretty much the longest relationship at my school so everybody figures that me and him are going to get married. Even though we are still in high school people are always asking me that....well to answer that is easy for me considering im not an adult so i just say that we are only in high school and have a lot of growing up to do. But even if people asked me that as an adult I would probably get tired of it because they don't know what point you are in your relationship. But i think what you are saying sounds good.

I went to a Christian HS and there were a lot of LTR couples. Ppl always said they were going to get married, but now me and my bf are the only ones who are still together. Not saying you are your bf arent going to last, just the ppl who ask you that shouldnt be rushing you.

Upvote 0

The Princess Bride

Legend
Site Supporter
May 2, 2005
Georgia
✟69,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Haha....I get asked...like...on a regular basis "Has he proposed yet?", "Where's the ring!?", and of course the "Soooo....when are ya'll getting married?"
^_^

I usually tell people...."We are just not in any hurry." :D

Upvote 0

adnilgnav

Nov 15, 2005
Virginia
✟415.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I never answer that question seriously. I would joke with them about it by saying "Why, I have a roof over my head at no cost." "It is his fault, he hasn't made up his mind yet. why don't you try to motivate him?"

But I think my problem is I don't know how to talk to him about it other than being straight forward. "Why haven't you married me yet?" and that's just playing the blaming game.

Upvote 0

Trillias

Jul 17, 2006
✟7,654.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
My standard response: "Ask him!"

This is because we only ever seem to get that question from his relatives. Mine have seen me call off a wedding three months prior, so they're more than happy to have me wait. I figure, it's his family being rude (IMHO) by asking, he can explain to them that it's none of their business.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hediru

Newlywed Wife, New Pastor, Loving the ride!
Sep 23, 2005
Ohio
✟17,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
LOL!
The funny thing is, both Steve and I teach Sunday School, and I'm a youth group leader. So, we get asked by the kids alot! Answers range from "Within the next 10 years :p" to "None of your business" to "I don't know, but I'll let you know when I do." Most of the time though, we just end up laughing. I'm sorry, but its so cute when a 2nd grade girl says, "Miss Heather needs a husband! Mr. Steve! You need to be her husband, like, yesterday!" (btw, I'm still not sure why I NEED a husband, but I sure like her timeline! lol)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
i don't get this question, thankfully :) it helps that my SO is long distance too. So people don't realize how long we've actually been together.
same here, although i do get people asking a lot (directly and indirectly) when i'm moving closer to him or when he's moving closer to me so i just tell them it'll happen when it happens :p

Upvote 0
I

ImperialPhantom

"We'll figure that out when the time comes." or something like that, though I never get that question. My relatives are pretty laid back about stuff like that - I didn't get saddled with annoying family. I understand the spirit of the question especially when you've been dating for a long time - if you've been with someone for more than 1-1.5 years and you still don't know if you want to marry them, you are never going to want to marry them. By that time you should have it figured out. And one of my best friends has been dating his girl for 7 years and still doesn't know, but I don't want to answer a question that he's not asking, so I don't say anything.

Upvote 0

Monaleezza

Jan 8, 2007
London, England
✟8,609.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
In Relationship
Great answer. =)
KJV, love your outfit!

As for me, I just shrug my shoulders and say, "I dunno!" as though it's always in the pipeline and they should watch this space! LoL!
It keeps them quiet coz they suspect it'll be anyday now! lol

Oh yeah, I've used "ask him" too. They're not going to! They're trying to pick off the weaker one to see if they can get a meal! lol

Upvote 0