Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,777,202.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wasn't allowed to T or T when I was little. My parents considered it very evil and worldly I guess. I hated going to school the next day and being the only kid who didn't have T or T candy to brag about and share. And this was a very Bob Jonesey Type Christian school! Even the pastor's son got to go out! One good thing we got out of it was that we always got to go out to eat at my fave restaurant that night. Still, I would have preferred the candy.

But yes, it was more innocent in those days and not so gory. Nighttime T or Ting was just plain fun. Now it's even kinda freaky to do it in broad daylight! My kids are SOOO excited this year. We have to get to work on DDs butterfly costume and DSs kittycat costume.

Upvote 0

Marcel

Quixotic Cloggie
Oct 4, 2002
Holland
Visit site
✟9,296.00
Originally posted by amie
so you dutch people just wander around the streets singing and asking for candy. Where do I sign up?;)

sure hon, you and Godsgurl are taking Kristyn trick or treating this year. Lets see how long Godsgurl wants to hang out with you while you are carrying a lamp and singing...

I just love you lieverd;)

You don't like my singing voice???

(lol) :)

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Oh, sheesh, I just had a "flashback" to grade school (back in the caves, LOL). Yeah, we'd all go to school the next day, with contraband candy (weren't allowed to eat it in class!) and the boys would brag about how many houses they went to, and how much candy they had. It used to crack me up when they talked about going up to the "Country Club" area in our town. The folks there gave out REAL candy bars, not the little tiny one-bite jobs most folks handed out.

We've tried to give out balloons instead. Or even one year, I emptied out all our coin jars and gave out pennies. I was giving like five pennies per kid. THEY GRIPED! I'm giving out money and the kids are GRIPING!

It's the BIG kids who come after 9 PM, with voices that have already changed that give me the creeps.

Poor kids of today. They'll never know some of the simple fun things we had.

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0

coastie

Hallelujah Adonai Yeshua!
Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
My parents stopped doing halloween when I was about 10 or so. My wife's family did it her whole life.

When I was on my ship I decided to go to a halloween party as a Pirate. When I got to the first party, the whole thing was just demonic (with the decoration and such) so I left and went to another... well the costumes there were a little (shall we say) different and I left promptly. All i saw around San Diego that night just disgusted me and I decided that my parents had had the right idea. The whole seen had become either completely sexual or completely demonic.

My wife was a little upset when she found out that I had given up the holiday, but she hadn't seen Halloween in San Diego yet... now she agrees.

Oh well, there's always St. Patty's day to dress up for. :)

Aye Come out Ye Black and Tans! ;)

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
BTW I just remembered that couldn't-have-been-more-than-11 year old kid in the Yugi Moto costume that I saw on the news while they were interviewing trick-or-treaters on Halloween last year, lol.

:rolleyes: you're way too young to be cosplaying, kid. . . :rolleyes: :D

Upvote 0

AngelAmidala

Legend
Feb 1, 2002
New York
Visit site
✟51,421.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by lambslove
The only way to avoid it is to not be home at all.

Or you could be like me for the last 3 years....when I was on my own, I lived in this cottage that no one could ever find anyway.  (It was waaaay in the back of my landlord's property.) 

Was great at Halloween...no kids knocking on the door and no one using my car as target practice for eggs and shaving cream.  ;)

Upvote 0

thepalmtree

Sep 24, 2002
Canada
Visit site
✟15,544.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I think what i found fun was the sense of community we had. I lived in a small town and basically all the elementary teachers lived around and it was nice to see them and show off your costume. I usually went out alone, everyone knew everyone. Too bad those days are long gone. :sigh:

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by Marcel
Amieee :) Hallo lieverd. I'd go with Kristyn without hessitation.

In (only the northern part where I'm from) of Holland we celebrate St. Maarten; which is an awfull lot like trick or treating. You go from door to door singing songs, collecting candy. There's no ghost-theme or dressing up, but you make your own decorated "lampion".

That sounds like fun! :pink:

Upvote 0

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Appalachia, The Trail of Tears
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by lambslove
Sigh. That doesn't work around here. I keep my porch light off, and people come anyway, then I have to explain that I don't do trick or treat, then I look like a stick-in-the-mud.

Even if I sit in the house with all the lights out, some parent will have their kid knock on my door anyway, like I owe them candy because I live in the neighborhood.

The only way to avoid it is to not be home at all.

:D TOILET PAPERING THE YARD TIME...HEHEHEHHE  :clap: 

Upvote 0

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Appalachia, The Trail of Tears
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Susan
Halloween has always been satanic and demonic.

Stay at home, say a prayer for protection, and don't go out until morning the next day. Also, don't partake by giving out candy-post a small notice on your door saying that Halloween is against your beliefs and stating why. :)

Not to some of us Susan.

Our tradition has always been to make our own costumes.

My children have been: Lobsters, The wizard of Oz theme, a ladybug, dinosaurs, a princess, mushrooms, a bumblebee, to name a few.  Hardly demonic or satanic.  We usually have a hay ride, and organized games...

To some of us it is a night of harmless fun and games. 

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
We usually go to the fall festival at our church. They have games for the kids, candy and we have a good ole barbeque dinner. The kids do dress up, but not in scary costumes. Mine have been a bee and a pumpkin for the past couple of years. Also, we do not give out candy, we keep our light off if we are home.

Upvote 0

fieldmouse3

Contributor
Feb 14, 2002
Washington State
Visit site
✟8,313.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
For the longest time, my grandmother had a Halloween party at her house for me and all my cousins. It was great....games, candy, even a pinata. :) I didn't actually go trick or treating until I was about 10, so I only had a few good years to do it. When I DID get to go, it was around my OTHER grandmother's (very safe) neighborhood.
It's kind of scary to think about all the wrong stuff that could happen to trick or treaters these days. There are some safe alternatives, though. Malls used to have people giving out candy at their stores....they might still, but I'm not sure.
As for candy, my mom PURPOSELY buys way more than we need...and only puts a third of it into the "trick or treating bowl". So....we're pretty much loaded with candy until December. Too bad I'm away at school and can't partake of it this year. :( I love candy....but I can always hit the after Halloween sales at the grocery stores and get my own stash. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sunshine

May 25, 2002
Toronto
✟8,963.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I *love* Hallowe'en....it's one of my favourite holidays. I love the fall/harvest theme in October, which is why I also love thanksgiving. I think Hallowe'en is what you make of it. yes, some people go for the demonic/satanic/death celebration, but you can also approach it just as harmless fun with cute costumes and hayrides. the best part is seeing the adorable little kids where you can just tell it's their first time trick-or-treating!! for the last few years I've "chaperoned" taking kids in the neighbourhood trick-or-treating, it is so much fun, like being a kid again.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2002
Canada
✟35,277.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I never enjoyed Halloween even when I was a kid. I t always frightened me. The best part was one neighbor who had an apple tree in her yard. She would make exactly 12 caramel or candy apples every year, and ONLY the kids in our immediate neighborhood got them!!! We could come the day after and pick them up from her, she knew us all by sight. It was wonderful!!

A couple of years ago living out on a farm, we had another family com eover, and we put together a Fall carnival for the kids. We had yard games, prizes, treats, weenie roast.... it was wonderful! Last year, we were invited to a friend's church where each year he and his wife plan a HUGE Carnival. It takes them months to put it together. There's cotton candy, popcorn, games, penny-prizes, door prizes and draws, movies, clowns, balloons... etc. etc. There are no costumes, no ghosts, no creepies, but the kids still come away with tons of candy to share with the others at school. They dont' have to feel left out, we don't get harrassed at home with kids ringing at our door, and everyone enjoys a great, cheap evening out!

Upvote 0

Lynn

Veteran
Feb 14, 2002
Ogden, UT
Visit site
✟10,696.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do the adults participate in Halloween in your areas?

Here it seems more adults dress up than children. Everywhere you go, stores, hospitals, schools, every business, the employees are dressed up. House decorations are everywhere, it looks like more decorate for Halloween than they do for Christmas.

When I was growing up, the kids dressed up and went around for candy. Jack o lanterns were on the porches but that was about it. Now its almost bigger than Christmas around here. :(

Is that how it is everywhere now? or is it just Utah? (they do things different here!!)

lynn

Upvote 0