Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Giving out candy to the kids who visit our house.
The downside to living in an apartment complex is that I don't get to give out candy to the children.

I always told myself as a child that I'd grow up to be the guy that gives out the full-size candy bars but I've been living in apartments for about the last 9 years

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
This is the only valid reason you give for not celebrating Halloween - you don't like it. I can respect that. I don't like sour cream so I don't eat it. You don't like Halloween so you don't celebrate it.

What? You're letting him off the hook with that? I demand everyone says "Happy Halloween"! He's declared war on Halloween! It's persecution! I'm boycotting any store that has a "harvest" sale instead of "Halloween" sale. Religious Freedom! And other trope-y things Christians commonly say about Christmas, too!

I'm taking my daughter to go trick or treating (she's going as an astronaut), and then maybe watch a movie. I have little boxes of Nerds candy to give out but we never get anyone stopping by, so we'll end up eating it all. Then a late night ritual afterwards.

Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, it's typical for us to celebrate our Samhain holiday on October 31. It's sort of a combination of New Year's Eve, Thanksgiving, and Memorial Day.
I live in Arizona, so it's easy to draw a comparison to Dia de los Muertos as well.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
What? You're letting him off the hook with that? I demand everyone says "Happy Halloween"! He's declared war on Halloween! It's persecution! I'm boycotting any store that has a "harvest" sale instead of "Halloween" sale. Religious Freedom! And other trope-y things Christians commonly say about Christmas, too!

I'm taking my daughter to go trick or treating (she's going as an astronaut), and then maybe watch a movie. I have little boxes of Nerds candy to give out but we never get anyone stopping by, so we'll end up eating it all. Then a late night ritual afterwards.

Speaking of harvest things, it's about that time of the year where I start mentioning the irony in the number of churches that not only refuse to participate in Halloween, but actively fight against it in some capacity, usually by having harvest festivals.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

sahjimira

God of miracles.. He saved ME!
Jul 29, 2015
Florida
✟18,595.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
A lot of people don't bother to learn, a lot of peopyours?n't care. People are often content going with whatever they've heard without bothering to look into things for themselves.

Also, have you met the internet? Anyone can say anything and get away with it. It's why there are anti-vaxxers today, there's no way the anti-vaccination movement could be what it is today without the internet.

In the United States, historically the most predominant form of Christianity tended to be Reformed Protestantism, that is, Protestants of a Calvinist bent. And in the 18th and 19th century most Protestants were typically unfriendly toward Roman Catholicism--a history of unpleasantness that goes back to the time of the Reformation itself on both sides. In fact, the Puritans who came to Massachusetts forbade celebrating Christmas, because it was a "Catholic holiday" It was illegal to celebrate Christmas.

The Second Great Awakening, along with the springing up of a number of sects in the 19th century, such as the various Adventist groups (who came out of the Millerite movement) resulted in a growing form of pietistic Protestantism that was just as antagonistic to Catholicism as anything else, but also resulted in losing many of the liturgical elements that had been retained in mainstream Protestant groups (Presbyterians, Episcopalians, Lutherans, and Methodists) in favor for revivalistic forms of worship. This also meant a stripping down of the Christian liturgical calendar. These revivalistic and pietistic Protestant groups continued into the 20th century, and are also the basis of the Pentecostal tradition which arose out from the previous Holiness Movement--an outgrowth of that frontier second great awakening pietistic and revivalistic tradition. Also, Fundamentalism arose out of the Modernist Controversy of the early 20th century. Fundamentalism, the rise of Neo-Evangelicalism, and later the resurgence of a Fundamentalist coalition under the Moral Majority with specific ecclesiastical and theological trends (all of these things by the way still not exactly friendly to Catholicism) continued a pattern of a particular Catholic-phobic kind of Protestantism. And things like Halloween were just "Catholic things".

That changed some decades ago when Halloween's association with spooky scary was more solidified as a popular idea, and the adoption of Halloween as by Anton LeVey as a Satanist holy day only amplified the rhetoric. And so the new Fundamentalism of the 60s and 70s took to the warpath, led, in part by fear propagandists like John Todd a major "source" for Jack Chick and his brand of propaganda comic books. The Satanic Panic of the 1980s created a tidal wave of urban legend and irrational fear within the public--which only continued to feed what was already going on in Fundamentalist and Evangelical circles.

Hallowe'en went from part of the Christian calendar, to a "Catholic thing" with the supposition that "Catholic things" are icky and bad, to being a pagan thing, to being an evil satanic thing. However, what Hallowe'en actually is never changed, it's still the first day in the Hallowmas Triduum. And is entirely and explicitly Christian.

The way to fight massive ignorance is by consistent truth-telling.

Which is what, ultimately, I'm doing on this board. Trying to put forward truth to combat fiction. Because a lie, even a lie told often enough, is still a lie. And the only way to deal with a lie is to combat it with truth.

-CryptoLutheran[/QUOTE
I see ur point...a very good one. I saw a post here somewhere with a long attachment with it..was that yours? I need to reread it. How do you celebrate Halloween? I have grandkids and I'd like to share this history with them. I'm not sure how to keep the spookiness out of it. Their parents aren't much for telling them Christian reasons for things. Thanks for the history lesson! My main objective is to always find the truth

Upvote 0

sahjimira

Jul 29, 2015
Florida
✟18,595.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
A lot of people don't bother to learn, a lot of peopyours?n't care. People are often content going with whatever they've heard without bothering to look into things for themselves.

Also, have you met the internet? Anyone can say anything and get away with it. It's why there are anti-vaxxers today, there's no way the anti-vaccination movement could be what it is today without the internet.

In the United States, historically the most predominant form of Christianity tended to be Reformed Protestantism, that is, Protestants of a Calvinist bent. And in the 18th and 19th century most Protestants were typically unfriendly toward Roman Catholicism--a history of unpleasantness that goes back to the time of the Reformation itself on both sides. In fact, the Puritans who came to Massachusetts forbade celebrating Christmas, because it was a "Catholic holiday" It was illegal to celebrate Christmas.

The Second Great Awakening, along with the springing up of a number of sects in the 19th century, such as the various Adventist groups (who came out of the Millerite movement) resulted in a growing form of pietistic Protestantism that was just as antagonistic to Catholicism as anything else, but also resulted in losing many of the liturgical elements that had been retained in mainstream Protestant groups (Presbyterians, Episcopalians, Lutherans, and Methodists) in favor for revivalistic forms of worship. This also meant a stripping down of the Christian liturgical calendar. These revivalistic and pietistic Protestant groups continued into the 20th century, and are also the basis of the Pentecostal tradition which arose out from the previous Holiness Movement--an outgrowth of that frontier second great awakening pietistic and revivalistic tradition. Also, Fundamentalism arose out of the Modernist Controversy of the early 20th century. Fundamentalism, the rise of Neo-Evangelicalism, and later the resurgence of a Fundamentalist coalition under the Moral Majority with specific ecclesiastical and theological trends (all of these things by the way still not exactly friendly to Catholicism) continued a pattern of a particular Catholic-phobic kind of Protestantism. And things like Halloween were just "Catholic things".

That changed some decades ago when Halloween's association with spooky scary was more solidified as a popular idea, and the adoption of Halloween as by Anton LeVey as a Satanist holy day only amplified the rhetoric. And so the new Fundamentalism of the 60s and 70s took to the warpath, led, in part by fear propagandists like John Todd a major "source" for Jack Chick and his brand of propaganda comic books. The Satanic Panic of the 1980s created a tidal wave of urban legend and irrational fear within the public--which only continued to feed what was already going on in Fundamentalist and Evangelical circles.

Hallowe'en went from part of the Christian calendar, to a "Catholic thing" with the supposition that "Catholic things" are icky and bad, to being a pagan thing, to being an evil satanic thing. However, what Hallowe'en actually is never changed, it's still the first day in the Hallowmas Triduum. And is entirely and explicitly Christian.

Which is what, ultimately, I'm doing on this board. Trying to put forward truth to combat fiction. Because a lie, even a lie told often enough, is still a lie. And the only way to deal with a lie is to combat it with truth.

-CryptoLutheran[/QUOTE
I see ur point...a very good one. I saw a post here somewhere with a long attachment with it..was that yours? I need to reread it. How do you celebrate Halloween? I have grandkids and I'd like to share this history with them. I'm not sure how to keep the spookiness out of it. Their parents aren't much for telling them Christian reasons for things. Thanks for the history lesson! My main objective is to always find the truth

Upvote 0

sahjimira

Jul 29, 2015
Florida
✟18,595.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

-CryptoLutheran[/QUOTE

Upvote 0

sahjimira

Jul 29, 2015
Florida
✟18,595.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

-CryptoLutheran[/QUOTE

Upvote 0

sahjimira

Jul 29, 2015
Florida
✟18,595.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

-CryptoLutheran[/QUOTE

Upvote 0

sahjimira

Jul 29, 2015
Florida
✟18,595.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I wrote I a post but it wouldn't go thru. Thanks for the history lesson! I'm always looking to find the truth bottom line. How do u
ccelebrate Halloween? I have grandkids and don't know how to keep the spookiness out of it and share the Christianity Their parents r not rreally into the religious explanation of much. I found a long attachment on a site hers echoing what you've said.. was that u? At any rate I'll need to read it

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

As a Lutheran it's more typical to celebrate Reformation Day on October 31st. October 31st 1517 was the date when Martin Luther nailed his 95 Theses to the church door in Wittenberg. The Sunday of or following both October 31st/November 1st is likely to involve honoring both. You'll definitely hear A Mighty Fortress sung.

I personally enjoy the secular dimensions of Halloween, in the past I've gone to costume parties, which is always fun. Though usually it's really just about handing out candy to trick-or-treaters, having an excuse to eat a lot of candy myself, and watch cheesy horror flicks.

On All Saints proper I make a mental note of the day and give thanks to God for the lives and witness of the saints throughout history. One thing I really like about All Saints is that while the named feast days throughout the rest of the Church Year honor known saints, All Saints allows us to reflect on all those whose names have not been remembered throughout history. For there have been many wonderful people of God whose names we'll never know this side of the Eschaton, but who we will meet on that future day who will be crowned with high honors as faithful servants of Christ. It's a time to remember that death is not the end, our hope in Christ is that death is overcome, life has won, and those in Christ are truly and wonderfully alive forever, even if now their bodies sleep. The shadow of death is not a thing to fear, but we stand boldly in the light of Christ against the darkness of suffering and death, announcing the kingdom of God has come and is coming, and God will make all things right.

As a Lutheran I do not petition the saints for prayer, but I do offer prayers to God thanking Him for His saints, and acknowledge that the saints do indeed pray for us who are here on earth, because all of us together, both the Church militant and the Church triumphant are together, united, as one catholic and Christian Church, in the Communion of Saints as the Apostles' Creed calls it. In biblical terms, it's about the great cloud of witnesses mentioned in Hebrews ch. 12.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: zippy2
Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Via Crucis! How dare you let something like facts get in the way of some good old fashioned Christian paranoia!

He does that a lot, but please fundamentalist paranoia, not Christian. Via Crucis is the best Christian we got around here.

Baha'is here in Hinds County, Mississippi usually have a big barn party around Halloween, mostly because there is a Baha'i family with a big barn we can use for that purpose. They also have a pond so we often go fishing just before this. The daughter was diabetic so letting her go trick or treating was out of the question when she was young. I think the barn party may have got started for that reason, but now it is a community event. We have sugar and sugarless sweets, veg and non-veg food. Often area notables show up, including the County Sheriff who came to join in the fun, not break it up. One of the nice things about it is that there are always about an equal number of blacks and whites attending, something one doesn't often see in Mississippi.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
As a Lutheran it's more typical to celebrate Reformation Day on October 31st. October 31st 1517 was the date when Martin Luther nailed his 95 Theses to the church door in Wittenberg.

That's how I tell my students to remember the date. Luther posted 95 thesis and then said, "Trick or Treat!"

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
So what fun things are people doing to celebrate Halloween and/or Samahin this year?

Friday night will be a night of partying with friends from my home town. Many faces that I haven't seen in a moon's age will be present so I am really looking forward to it.

Saturday will consist of the following in a group (as is traditional amongst our little pagan group):
  • Afternoon: A short hike through the hills and fields as sort of a marking of the closing of the year.
  • Twilight: Dinner, drinks [usually mead] if we feel like it. It's up to the individual.
  • Evening: Handing out candy and dressing up and being nice to the kids and getting ready for the ritual.
  • Around midnight: A group Samhain ritual that usually lasts about an hour, transitioning into Nov. 1 demarcating the changing of the seasons, the weakest point of the veil and remembrance of loved ones who've passed.
This is my favorite holiday of the year; I venture back to my roots, I see old friends, I remember my spiritual side and I feel just generally at peace and of course...a little bit of partying. :p

Ah, so wonderful. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

silvermoon383

Jul 16, 2006
✟29,240.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Friday night will be a night of partying with friends from my home town. Many faces that I haven't seen in a moon's age will be present so I am really looking forward to it.

Saturday will consist of the following in a group (as is traditional amongst our little pagan group):
  • Afternoon: A short hike through the hills and fields as sort of a marking of the closing of the year.
  • Twilight: Dinner, drinks [usually mead] if we feel like it. It's up to the individual.
  • Evening: Handing out candy and dressing up and being nice to the kids and getting ready for the ritual.
  • Around midnight: A group Samhain ritual that usually lasts about an hour, transitioning into Nov. 1 demarcating the changing of the seasons, the weakest point of the veil and remembrance of loved ones who've passed.
This is my favorite holiday of the year; I venture back to my roots, I see old friends, I remember my spiritual side and I feel just generally at peace and of course...a little bit of partying. :p

Ah, so wonderful. :)
Now that sounds like an amazing holiday (and holy day) event.

Reactions: Zoness
Upvote 0

Niblo

Muslim
Site Supporter
Dec 23, 2014
Wales.
✟221,145.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
When alone, I sprinkle my house with fairy dust to render it invisible for the night. It seems to work, since I’ve not had a kid knock on the door for ages. Of course, the fact that the house is in total darkness, with a padlocked gate and a sign saying: ‘MY DOG EATS CHILDREN…PLEASE GIVE IT A TREAT’ might have something to do with it.

Sadly, I can do this only when my wife is away on business (as she will be this year). When she's home it's bright light all round, tins of sweets and goodies, and a parade of scruffy 'witches' (most of them in bin-bags) tramping up and down my path.

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
When alone, I sprinkle my house with fairy dust to render it invisible for the night.

No, no no! Fairy dust is for levitation; troll powder is for invisibility. What is wrong with you?

Reactions: Niblo
Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Niblo

Muslim
Site Supporter
Dec 23, 2014
Wales.
✟221,145.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
No, no no! Fairy dust is for levitation; troll powder is for invisibility. What is wrong with you?

Ahhh...so that's why the cat gives one heck of a screech when leaving first thing in the morning after Halloween. Thank you for that.

Upvote 0