Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oooo I love some Jelly beans. Can I have some?

Absolutely, Preterist Pagans are interesting folks particularly when loaded with sugar!

Reactions: Zoness
Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But you'll find none of that "occult danger"-nonsense that's so popular in American evangelicalist circles. That particular kind of simplistic idiocy is strictly reserved for the lunatic fringe around here.
Actually it was not the lunatic fringe that communicated with evil spirits and the so-called spirits of the dead in the past on this day. Samhain (Sow-in) has a long history of occultism, whether you wish to acknowledge it or not. See http://www.newgrange.com /samhain.htm and others
The early Irish manuscripts are littered with references to the magical significance of Samhain.
The celebrations at Tlachtga may have had their origins in a fertility rite on the hill but it gathered to itself a corpus of other beliefs which crystallised at the great Fire Festival.
Samhain being the feast of the dead can now be clearly seen as incorporating the cult of Donn into its celebrations but how they did so remains uncertain... But the world of the dead was itself a complicated place, peopled not only by the spirits of the departed, but also with a host of gods, fairies and other creatures of uncertain nature.

Reactions: Mikhaela
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Actually it was not the lunatic fringe that communicated with evil spirits and the so-called spirits of the dead in the past on this day. Samhain (Sow-in) has a long history of occultism, whether you wish to acknowledge it or not. See http://www.newgrange.com /samhain.htm and others

Problematically there's no indication that Samhain had anything to do with the dead. Centuries after Ireland had been Christianized there were writings, legends, that speak of Samhain--these legends were themselves written by Christians by the way. According to these stories during Samhain fairies were more active. But that Samhain was about there being a closer link between the land of the living and the land of the dead doesn't appear in this older material and seems to largely be a product of 19th century Romanticism.

The lunatic fringe Jane was talking about were the Fundamentalists claiming Hallowe'en is all about witchcraft, the occult, and evil spirits. That's an entirely American phenomenon that has leaked occasionally to other parts of the world where Fundamentalism has been exported.

It's a bit like thinking the only thing there is to Christmas is the How the Grinch Stole Christmas special, beleiving the only thing there is about Christmas is a green guy and his dog trying to steal the joy from the residents of Whoville.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
It's a bit like thinking the only thing there is to Christmas is the How the Grinch Stole Christmas special, beleiving the only thing there is about Christmas is a green guy and his dog trying to steal the joy from the residents of Whoville.
-CryptoLutheran

More like: "Christmas is based on the Roman Saturnalia; a hedonistic, sinful revelry of gift-giving, unchaste behaviour, gambling and all other sorts of immorality, dedicated to the demonic entity Saturn, portrayed as an elderly, bearded man. You worship SATAN every time you celebrate Christmas!!!!!!!1"

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
More like: "Christmas is based on the Roman Saturnalia; a hedonistic, sinful revelry of gift-giving, unchaste behaviour, gambling and all other sorts of immorality, dedicated to the demonic entity Saturn, portrayed as an elderly, bearded man. You worship SATAN every time you celebrate Christmas!!!!!!!1"

"He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle,
And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.
But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight—
'Happy Christmas everybody, now I'll devour you all
'"

cronus1.jpg

(I thought this image might be slightly less unsettling than the more famous Goya painting. Though that image would have been funnier in the context of the joke)

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For those coming my house by for Jelly Beans be aware that our Mayor has changed Trick or Treat to tonight (6-8pm) due to bad weather forecast for Saturday. Yeah, our Mayor has some clout!

Reactions: Jane_the_Bane
Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
For those coming my house by for Jelly Beans be aware that our Mayor has changed Trick or Treat to tonight (6-8pm) due to bad weather forecast for Saturday. Yeah, our Mayor has some clout!

I think it was 2 or 3 years ago we had a blizzard on Halloween and so all the towns in the area agreed to just move the holiday to the following weekend.

Reactions: drstevej
Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single

Apparently they have changed our night to tonight as well. Better go get some candy!

We can celebrate Luther Day tomorrow.

Reactions: drstevej
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums