Hair, tounges, once saved always saved, tatoos....multiple questions....

Status
Not open for further replies.

EliasEmmanuel

Gomi No Sensei
Apr 20, 2002
Camdenton, Missouri
Visit site
✟16,287.00
Faith
Protestant
Tatoos right or wrong according to the Bible?

Okay, IMO, but this is a matter of personal conviction. Almost every source I've run across that digs into scripture agrees that the verse in Leviticus folks generally use actually refers to an old Middle Eastern pagan superstition, and not to tattooing as we know it now.

Once saved always saved do you need to ask for forgiveness? Like if you died drunk without asking for forgiveness are you going to hell?

I'm not OSAS necessarily, but God isn't sitting around waiting to toss you into hell is you have even one sin on your head that hasn't been formally confessed when you die. He just doesn't work like that.

Tounges do you need to do it in order to be saved?

No, and said position is biblically indefensible. Scripture makes it clear that not everyone gets that particular gift.

And, I often want to ask folks who hold it where all the people with the gift of interpretation are (as per 1st corinthians 14)....

How does the holy spirit/ghost enter you that isn't of tounges?

God isn't divided up so you get part of Him now and Part later..... He is Three, but also One. If you have Jesus, you have the Father and Spirit too, although the Spirit may not be manifesting actively in some ways.

Hair should girls be able to cut there hair? If yes what do the versus in the Bible mean?

Yes, otherwise they'd have hair down to their ankles and it'd be terribly inconvenient ;) Chebar explained it well.

Women's dress should they always wear skirts?

Like someone said, pure tradition. So no. Wear your jeans proudly, ladies.

-Elias

Upvote 0

EliasEmmanuel

Gomi No Sensei
Apr 20, 2002
Camdenton, Missouri
Visit site
✟16,287.00
Faith
Protestant
look said:
I think that the reason of doing it should be looked at...If you are wanting to do it to suit yourself, without consideration of the possiblity that a new babe in Christ could become offended, THEN you would not be walking in love and it would be a sin...

What do you think? :)

I think it IS something that needs to be undertaken prayerfully and thoughtfully..... and I say this as a guy with multiple piercings.

But..... I've heard a lot of people bring up the issue of laying a stumblingblock before other believers in relation to this, and I honestly don't see how that pans out. Paul seems to have defined that as encouraging someone to do something contrary to their conscience in Christ (ie: the meat sacrificed to idols issue), and I can't see how, say, my nosering or some guys tattoos are going to do that.

And, if someone's shaken in their faith because someone with a nosering is in their church.... well, I dare say their focus is all wrong (and there's a good chance they're not walking in love either).

-Elias

Upvote 0

EliasEmmanuel

Gomi No Sensei
Apr 20, 2002
Camdenton, Missouri
Visit site
✟16,287.00
Faith
Protestant
Firm Believer said:
And what about piercings?

What if you had your nipples pierced but had say a "cross" piercing jewelry? :confused:

What do you think? I quite fancy having some piercing done but wouldn't want to upset The Lord :bow:

IMO, the issue of whether your piercings glorify God isn't about what kind of jewelry you wear in them, it's about whether they're being worn by someone who honors God with life.

-Elias

Upvote 0
EliasEmmanuel said:
I think it IS something that needs to be undertaken prayerfully and thoughtfully..... and I say this as a guy with multiple piercings.

But..... I've heard a lot of people bring up the issue of laying a stumblingblock before other believers in relation to this, and I honestly don't see how that pans out. Paul seems to have defined that as encouraging someone to do something contrary to their conscience in Christ (ie: the meat sacrificed to idols issue), and I can't see how, say, my nosering or some guys tattoos are going to do that.

And, if someone's shaken in their faith because someone with a nosering is in their church.... well, I dare say their focus is all wrong (and there's a good chance they're not walking in love either).

-Elias
But a Babe being a babe...Peircings to me dont bother me(un less your tounge has a bad lisp)hehe. Any how personal...Your witness not mine ...Your on your own path. For God knows your days and you will finish what He started and who is anyone to say... ONLY GOD..

Upvote 0

EliasEmmanuel

Gomi No Sensei
Apr 20, 2002
Camdenton, Missouri
Visit site
✟16,287.00
Faith
Protestant
Chebar said:
But a Babe being a babe...Peircings to me dont bother me(un less your tounge has a bad lisp)hehe.

Yes, but IMO this particular usage of "causing someone to stumble" departs from what Paul meant. "Causing offense" here isn't a matter of someone being "offended" at your fashion choices ;) S'all I'm saying :)

-Elias

Upvote 0
EliasEmmanuel said:
Yes, but IMO this particular usage of "causing someone to stumble" departs from what Paul meant. "Causing offense" here isn't a matter of someone being "offended" at your fashion choices ;) S'all I'm saying :)

-Elias
OOH Good point...I love when one is able to be dignified and holy ...With holes too!!!;)

Upvote 0
I'm Pentecostal and I have a tatoo and I've never spoke in tongues.....my basic feeling are that things are getting too legalistic and we have lost site of the reason why we are christians.....we need to bring the unsaved to the Lord...we are his servants and the world is against us so why do we continue to tear eachother down over rules?....just a thought
John 3:17

Upvote 0

Kakadu

Aug 22, 2003
NH
✟7,725.00
Faith
Christian
It all comes down to one simple thing that sum's up all of life's little 'grey area questions'.
where is your heart in the matter? Jesus knows your heart, and you think you know your heart, so if there is no immoral intentions then there is no need for alarm. i may be wrong, but if you tattoo your flesh to Glorify God, and use it as a tool of witnessing your faith and reach the lost, then it's not really going to matter much. We should look at our actions and see the FRUIT that we are producing. you tell a tree by its fruit. i say don't sweat the small stuff. and worry about Jesus' command to love one another, thats the focus.
and as for the once saved always saved...my buddy paul said something about that: Rom 8:38-39

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

look

A New Species of Man®
Mar 15, 2003
Daytona Beach, Florida
Visit site
✟8,610.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Kakadu said:
my buddy paul said something about that: Rom 8:38-39

Yes, I thank God that He so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, there is no question of the imposiblity of being separated from His love...Even the unsaved are loved by God...

I don't understand how this scripture reference even addresses the "OSAS" doctrine?!? Since God loves us and "them" (the unsaved)...

Upvote 0

FatherApe

Aug 29, 2003
✟210.00
Faith
Christian
smile.gif

Upvote 0

FatherApe

Aug 29, 2003
✟210.00
Faith
Christian
As for the tattoo, I don't know that the Bible says anything specifically pro or con. But it does admonish us to be thoughtful that what we do doesn't drive others from a closer walk with Christ. If you can envision someone looking at your 'Cross' tattoo and being repulsed by it, why bother getting it? The Bible does, on the other hand, list any number of ways that you should worship and acknowledge your Christian walk.

As for the gifts of the Spirit, there's a great little book called "Spirit-Filled", by Jack Hayford, that clearly describes the advantages to seeking a relationship with Christ through the Holy Spirit. I was raised in the Church of Christ, which denies any present day 'speaking in tongues', or other manifestations of the Holy Spirit. But my wife was raised to believe in the present day workings of the Holy Spirit. Her sincere testimony of His work in her life has convinced me to seek Him myself.

If Christ himself admonished his Apostles to look forward to the blessings of the Holy Spirit, and we saw Biblical evidence of power and a deepened relationship with Christ through the Holy Spirit.. Is there any reason we should overlook the possiblity in our own lives? Shouldn't we reach for everything God intended us to have?

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2003
The Dalles, OR
✟5,260.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Xnot A citizenX said:
Ok here are some questions I have been debating latly with people. Namely that of the Pentecostal persuasion.

Tatoos right or wrong according to the Bible?

Once saved always saved do you need to ask for forgiveness? Like if you died drunk without asking for forgiveness are you going to hell?

Hair should girls be able to cut there hair? If yes what do the versus in the Bible mean?

I already know where I stand on these things.....and pretty firmly....but if I am wrong let me know...and show me fact otherwise please....Thanks all
God Bless,
XnotAcitizenX
Tatoos right or wrong according to the Bible? Well why would one presume to improve what God made in His own Image and Likeness? Also it may seem like a great idea to get a tattoo as a 20 year old, but how will you feel about that tattoo at 50? "O Lord remember not the sins of my youth."
There is no such thing as once saved always saved. It is how you live your life in reponse to the grace that God gives. We need to work with God and transform ourselves into His Likeness. At any point as we live on this earth we can renounce our Love of Jesus and become apostate.
Tongues is the least of the gifts, Love is the greatest gift and the one to be sought after. You do not need to speak in tongues to be saved.
Baptism in the name of the Most Holy Trinity, is when you put on Christ, and when annointed with oil, Chrismation, is when are given the sign and seal of the Holy Spirit.
Hair was a social thing, today this a pious Orthodox man will not shave nor cut his hair. Women in church should wear loose fitting dresses.
Jeff the Finn

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lynn73

Jesus' lamb
Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
✟15,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
by Drotar
OSAS. Wouldn't have it any other way.

I'll give a hearty amen on that. I get so tired of arguing with people on this one. What kind of Shephered would Jesus be if he lost some of his true sheep? Can't fathom it and there'd be a whole lot of questions that need answering if that were so.

Upvote 0

look

A New Species of Man®
Mar 15, 2003
Daytona Beach, Florida
Visit site
✟8,610.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Drotar said:
OSAS. Wouldn't have it any other way.
Lynn73 said:
I'll give a hearty amen on that. I get so tired of arguing with people on this one. What kind of Shephered would Jesus be if he lost some of his true sheep? Can't fathom it and there'd be a whole lot of questions that need answering if that were so.
Ok, I'll bite...

Like what questions, if that were so??? :confused:

*Please, Please nibble on my bait* :)

Upvote 0

Sharky

Rockin dude!
Jul 5, 2002
Visit site
✟7,782.00
Faith
Christian
"Tatoos right or wrong according to the Bible?"
There is nothing wrong with tatoos according to the bible. This is being religious.

"Once saved always saved do you need to ask for forgiveness? Like if you died drunk without asking for forgiveness are you going to hell?"
Once saved always saved. If you sin when you are saved, you fall as a saved person. You don't fall back as a sinner.
For those who think they can sin willingly after being saved, they are liars.

"Tounges do you need to do it in order to be saved?"
No. Tongues has nothing to do with salvation. You can be saved and not be able to speak in tongues.

"How does the holy spirit/ghost enter you that isn't of tounges?"
Do you honestly think that the Holy Ghost is only represented in tongues? He comes in a still small voice and the convictions you feel.

"Hair should girls be able to cut there hair? If yes what do the versus in the Bible mean?"
There is nothing wrong with cutting your hair the right size or not. This is trying to be religious. Show me what verse they are cause i haven't seen it before. Oh there's also somewhere in the old testament about covering your head too.

"Women's dress should they always wear skirts?"
Another trying to be religious question.

"I already know where I stand on these things.....and pretty firmly....but if I am wrong let me know...and show me fact otherwise please....Thanks all
God Bless,"
That's cool dude.

You've mentioned alot about how we should dress and look like. Eg light colors, modest clothes, types of shoes, tatoos etc. I tell you there are christians out there who are on fire for God and have nothing but rags, skate clothes, slang shirts etc. Your outward appearance has nothing to do with your faith.

I'm not going to be religious. I won't wear a blazer and tie to church every week. I'm not going to be like the pharasees (i think that's them :\) who try to follow the law to the dot. There's only one thing on my mind and that's Jesus. Not my clothes, not other people's interpretations of the bible. Not other people's condemnation about me having the wrong hair cut or types of clothes (unless it's an offensive one :p).

Oh by the way this is the new generation of christians coming up so don't fret too much. The trends are just moving differently than 30 years ago and 30 years before that. You can tell from the old ways too especially the elderly.

Upvote 0
Xnot A citizenX said:
Ok here are some questions I have been debating latly with people. Namely that of the Pentecostal persuasion.

Tatoos right or wrong according to the Bible? gray area

once christ lives inside of you ... can he send himself to hell? in OT God did not live inside of them ..he would come over them to guide them ..
Hebrews 12:6-11 is God decipline even to death

1 cor 14:22 wherefore tongues are for a sign,....

1 cor 1:22 For the Jews rquire a sign, and the greeks seek after wisdom:

Its called belief romans 4:5 then at that moment the H.S. baptizes since we believe 1 cor 12:13

gray area

gray area

I already know where I stand on these things.....and pretty firmly....but if I am wrong let me know...and show me fact otherwise please....Thanks all
God Bless,
XnotAcitizenX

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.