Dec 9, 2004
✟9,893.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi ya everyone

just wanting some advice really.
my hair currently is bright red, with black streaks. It has been for about 3 years. People recognise me, in tents full of 5000 people because of my hair.

However, its time for a change, i have been growing it out as much as i can bear, but now the roots are starting to look like "roots", so its time for that big step of a full new color to cover up ...

do i go with a color most nearest my natural, or just black? not sure how easy the red will be to cover up, but I am being really challenged about the moment about things that I spend money on, so its time I didnt spend quite so much money on having my hair colored.

Just need some advice really, on growing it out, do i just let it naturally grow out, or do what i said, and have a color put on top?

which color?

SEP xx

StarryEyedPea

Dec 9, 2004
✟9,893.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
true, very true.

and also the roots probably wouldnt stick out so much if it was a color near to my natural one right??

sounds silly i know, but i have become so used to almost preening my hair. My hair is almost an obsession that its quite scary thinking of changing it, but i know i am being challenged about it, and the money i spend and stuff....

its like having really long hair cut short!

It will be weird having a "normal" hair color, and my hair not being my best feature , or most noticable feature!

make sense?
sep x

Upvote 0

StarryEyedPea

Dec 9, 2004
✟9,893.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi ya, thanks for the reply.

my natural hair colour is an lightish browny colour.

I figure that the red is going to be hard to cover, especially as it is quite a vibrant one!

do you think brown would cover the red? and the black? or would the black still come through?

Upvote 0

Dagna

Heathen
Nov 14, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟15,910.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
A couple things to try BEFORE you color. Mix some of your shampoo with baking soda and put it on your hair.Cover your head with saran wrap and then a warm towel for about 5-10 minutes. Rinse and it'll help pull out some of the color. Depending on the shade and what kind of dye was used, you may need to have it professionally done. The problem with red is that it's near impossible to get rid of, it'll keep coming back. I dye my hair red and when i went to try to color with my natural hair color, that red kept popping out. What I'm doing now is every time I color, moving more to the browns, ever so slightly.

Upvote 0

shezshy

Contributor
Mar 28, 2005
Nevada
✟9,246.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
there's a hairdresser that sometimes frequents this board.i forget her name but hopefully she can give advice other than the long grow out period but ive always thought growing out hair color looked cool for some reason.my hairs pretty dark so i'll never get the fun of coloring it :(

Upvote 0

lynnie

Feb 16, 2005
Hudsonville
✟15,317.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My advice as a hairstylist would be to go to your natural color. You may have to soap cap your hairs being that it is black and red. to soap cap you mix bleach with like a 20vol developer and soap. leave that on your hair as long as you can with out frying off your hair. (recommened you get this done at a perfessional salon.) and then start over with your natural or as close to your natural color. Really there is no other way to get both the black and red out. But PLEASE PLEASE Let a perfessional do this because if you do it yourself you may cause more harm then good! If there is anything else i can help with please feel free to contact me!
~Krista

Upvote 0

laurabelle778

May 29, 2005
✟7,683.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Dagna said:
A couple things to try BEFORE you color. Mix some of your shampoo with baking soda and put it on your hair.Cover your head with saran wrap and then a warm towel for about 5-10 minutes. Rinse and it'll help pull out some of the color. Depending on the shade and what kind of dye was used, you may need to have it professionally done. The problem with red is that it's near impossible to get rid of, it'll keep coming back. I dye my hair red and when i went to try to color with my natural hair color, that red kept popping out. What I'm doing now is every time I color, moving more to the browns, ever so slightly.

I agree with what Dagna said. Last summer, I went a little crazy with the Clairol blow dry in highlight stuff, and for a long time, I had to walk out in public with the embaressment of having orangeish, bright red hair, which is definitely not my color. Anyways, with having it cut a few times, after a while, things sort of seemed to mix in with eachother, if you understand what I mean at all. Anyways, recently I also tried the baking soda thing, and perhaps I might have been seeing things, but I think it did fade out some of the old color. Anyways, whatever you do, best of luck, and I'm sure it'll look fine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

StarryEyedPea

Dec 9, 2004
✟9,893.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks folks.

After consideration, I think its definately a proffessionals job!

going to get booked in, and see what they think, and they are the ones who have been putting the red and black in it for years, ;)

thanks for the advice though, going to be trickier than i thought.

thought it might have been something i could have just covered up myself but i think maybe best not to even try it !

sep xx

Upvote 0

StarryEyedPea

Dec 9, 2004
✟9,893.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Have gone for the plunge today, after over two years of bright vibrant red hair, and black bits, and has a brown put all over. The red still shows through slightly as does the black, giving it a three color toned effect, but it looks ok.

fine actually, just taking a bit more getting used to than i thought
:)

sep x

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fitmom

Senior Veteran
Mar 3, 2004
Regina
Visit site
✟12,454.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
StarryEyedPea said:
Hi ya everyone

just wanting some advice really.
my hair currently is bright red, with black streaks. It has been for about 3 years. People recognise me, in tents full of 5000 people because of my hair.

However, its time for a change, i have been growing it out as much as i can bear, but now the roots are starting to look like "roots", so its time for that big step of a full new color to cover up ...

do i go with a color most nearest my natural, or just black? not sure how easy the red will be to cover up, but I am being really challenged about the moment about things that I spend money on, so its time I didnt spend quite so much money on having my hair colored.

Just need some advice really, on growing it out, do i just let it naturally grow out, or do what i said, and have a color put on top?

which color?

SEP xx

You like your hair to be interesting, so color closest to your natural color, and then hi lites again so you own't be bored. Going with more natural hi lites will make the growing out process more fun! Change the hil lites with the season. More blond for me in the summer, and copper hi lites and even a few maroon mid winter.

Have fun! J

Upvote 0