• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Had a slip. Trouble getting back on track.

carp614

Apr 21, 2016
Home
✟29,620.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One guy got up and identified himself as a recovering alcoholic, then he went on to say that he's been sober for close to 20 years. That just doesn't make any sense to me, why do these people still call themselves alcoholics or drug addicts if they've been clean and sober for all those years.

I don't like this idea that folks have to remain in their addicted mindset and held hostage for the rest of their lives. I read some statistics about those 12 step programs. They said something like 10% of alcoholics and addicts will attend the meetings. Of those only 3% will continue attending and of the 3% only 1% will remain clean and sober for the rest of their lives.

I think the stats speak for themselves about the success of those programs.

I'm still an alcoholic because all it would take for me to be right back where I came to the end of myself would be for me to drink again. Not drinking did not eliminate my addictive tendencies. I'll spend the rest of my life resisting the temptation to just let the drugs win. This insight is actually the polar opposite of the mind set I had when I was in active addiction.

You are correct about the statistics. Addiction wins more often than not no matter what the program.

Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Those programs deal with the physical symptoms and leave the person spiritually dead in their sins and trespasses.
What you don't know about AA and NA could fill a large book. You haven't got the slightest idea what you're talking about; you may have sat through a meeting or two, but you didn't pay any attention while you were there.

I read some statistics about those 12 step programs. They said something like 10% of alcoholics and addicts will attend the meetings. Of those only 3% will continue attending and of the 3% only 1% will remain clean and sober for the rest of their lives.
Yep, a large percentage of those who ever step foot in an AA or NA meeting will not adopt the program of recovery, will never go back and will continue in active addiction. But every single one of those who stay and adopt the program of recovery will be able to stop using, lose the desire to use, and find a new way to live. The success rate of the AA and NA programs is 100%.

If you got a prescription from the doctor, refused to take the medicine and then stayed ill, would you blame the medicine?

Last edited:
Reactions: carp614
Upvote 0

Gregory95

You will know them by their fruits
Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My friend you must know first and foremost YOU are ALLOWING satan to USE the body God gave to YOU for his pleasure

We are not this body we are the spirit in the body thus WE must be in control

Our spirit controls our body (unless you allow satan to be in control) and if a true believer the Holy Spirit guides our spirit

We are in a WAR not of flesh and blood this is a spiritual war all called are to be soilders of Christ not slaves to satan

Stand strong in that Christ has the power over all and if we walk with Him what can hurt us
Always here for you just semd PM

Hi all,

So I am one of those chaps that gets addicted to anything and everything pleasurable. Sex, inappropriate content, gambling, alcohol, cocaine, coffee, nicotine. You name it.

The biggest threat to my wellness is alcohol/cocaine. I've been a compulsive binge drinker since age 16. I am 29 now. I've had periods of sobriety intermittently lasting 6-12 months a piece.

This last period of sobriety was absolutely wonderful. For a good 8 months, I found God and my purpose, stabilized my mental health, and landed a job in the public service field that I am extremely passionate about. I stayed sober through a program called SMART recovery (AA is not effective for me) and church attendance. I enjoyed the best recovery I've ever had.

I slipped and drank about a week after the 8 month mark. For a month prior to my slip, I had stopped my meetings and church. It wasn't too crazy, but the recovery has been troublesome. My pattern is, in the weeks following a lapse, a fog sets in. I experience INTENSE cravings. I know if I indulge again, the pattern will reset, and I'll do it all over. There will be no end. I'll drink myself into a hole and the immense pain will eventually drive me to sobriety. During this craving period, recall of my drinking is euphoric. It is difficult to remember the immense trauma and loss drinking has caused me over the years. The focus is on how good I'll feel while drinking, and I'll figure the rest out later, kind of thing. I'll deal with the hangover/depression/guilt/cravings later. Right now I'll enjoy my high. It is a psychologically entrenched behavior pattern, dug in deep, and it takes over sometimes.

Given my low functionality when drinking, it is doubtful that I'll be able to keep my job. Even if I manage to, I will not be 100% for my clients who depend on me. I'll be living a double-life, providing treatment during the week and getting drunk/high on the weekends. And that's only if I manage to keep it to the weekends, which is also doubtful.

I don't know what I'm looking for. I guess it helped to type all that out. Maybe suggestions would be cool.

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,216.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
What you don't know about AA and NA could fill a large book. You haven't got the slightest idea what you're talking about; you may have sat through a meeting or two, but you didn't pay any attention while you were there.

Yep, a large percentage of those who ever step foot in an AA or NA meeting will not adopt the program of recovery, will never go back and will continue in active addiction. But every single one of those who stay and adopt the program of recovery will be able to stop using, lose the desire to use, and find a new way to live. The success rate of the AA and NA programs is 100%.

If you got a prescription from the doctor, refused to take the medicine and then stayed ill, would you blame the medicine?
The so called program of recovery is a contradiction of terms, since nobody ever recovers in the program. I would hate to spend the rest of my life identifying as an addict.

I was fully healed from a heroin addiction, by Doctor Jesus Christ. He took the craving and compulsion away and gave me a whole new life, so He actually heals people so they can say they have fully recovered and they don't need any step programs.

Those programs talk about a higher power, which could be Satan or anything else while denying the power of the one tre God who has the power to fully heal.

The programs were hashed up by drunkards, so they are fundamentally flawed.

Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The so called program of recovery is a contradiction of terms, since nobody ever recovers in the program....

The programs were hashed up by drunkards, so they are fundamentally flawed.
As I said, what you don't know would fill a very large book.

I was fully healed from a heroin addiction, by Doctor Jesus Christ.
Your arrogance says otherwise.

Upvote 0

carp614

Apr 21, 2016
Home
✟29,620.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dan you have an interesting perspective that might not be helpful to the OP, who is clearly not seeing things clearly right now. I think it is really wonderful that God has given you this healing miracle. I have seen it in others as well and it's a blessing each time I hear about it.

We should pray that the OP has the same experience.

We should also pray that the OP clearly understands he is not alone and that there are many organizations out there that offer assistance. Taking one of them up on it is an excellent first step, even if their relapse rates are high.

For example, I was actually Saved in an AA meeting, when I surrendered my life and my will to the Lord Jesus Christ. God was there that night and he helped me all along the way, even after I left the program and joined other programs until I got fully onto His Program.

Reactions: Dan1988
Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,216.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
As I said, what you don't know would fill a very large book.

Your arrogance says otherwise.
I know everything I need to know about those miserable 12 step programs.
The main thing about them is, they don't provide a solution to the problem. All they are is a band aid solution to an internal problem. They don't deal with the actual cause of the problem.

The people in those meetings are the most miserable people I've ever seen. All they do is obsess over their addiction, which is still active and it torments them.

I feel sorry for those lost souls struggling to stay sober one day at a time. That's a very miserable way to live life, they have no peace at all.

I looked up the statistics and the medical professionals say the success rate of those programs is 5% at best.

People need to deal with the issues that caused them to turn to alcohol or drugs. Nobody is born with this so called "disease" of alcoholism or drug addiction. People turn to these things because they're wicked and they have a guilty conscience, so they try to numb themselves into oblivion.

AA and NA were invented to fool people into believing that their addiction is a physical disease, while the truth is they are spiritually corrupt.

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,216.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Dan you have an interesting perspective that might not be helpful to the OP, who is clearly not seeing things clearly right now. I think it is really wonderful that God has given you this healing miracle. I have seen it in others as well and it's a blessing each time I hear about it.

We should pray that the OP has the same experience.

We should also pray that the OP clearly understands he is not alone and that there are many organizations out there that offer assistance. Taking one of them up on it is an excellent first step, even if their relapse rates are high.

For example, I was actually Saved in an AA meeting, when I surrendered my life and my will to the Lord Jesus Christ. God was there that night and he helped me all along the way, even after I left the program and joined other programs until I got fully onto His Program.
You make a good point, I'm sure AA could be used as a stepping stone that leads people on a journey to find the truth of the matter.

I was responding to the other guy who seems to believe that AA is the answer. I hope the OP is not discouraged and that he does seek out some support and try the programs.

Upvote 0

carp614

Apr 21, 2016
Home
✟29,620.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You make a good point, I'm sure AA could be used as a stepping stone that leads people on a journey to find the truth of the matter.

I was responding to the other guy who seems to believe that AA is the answer. I hope the OP is not discouraged and that he does seek out some support and try the programs.

I think you are right. Let's make sure we don't distract the OP from the point that he needs to get help. It seems like a debate about the efficacy of one program or another might give him the excuse he needs to keep using. I definitely think it's a topic worth it's own post/thread though

Upvote 0

Sm412

Nov 25, 2018
Vancouver
✟23,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Just thought I'd update everyone. I am back on track. It took a few weeks for the cravings to subside. Got through them with a healthy dose of prayer, motivation building, scripture, and holding on for dear life. I'm feeling okay and I'm motivated to move forward.

Also, please do not use words like "drunkard" and imply addiction diminishes one's worth. It doesn't. We are all children of God. I have plenty of criticisms of AA, but the struggle of its founders isn't one of them.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,216.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Just thought I'd update everyone. I am back on track. It took a few weeks for the cravings to subside. Got through them with a healthy dose of prayer, motivation building, scripture, and holding on for dear life. I'm feeling okay and I'm motivated to move forward.

Also, please do not use words like "drunkard" and imply addiction diminishes one's worth. It doesn't. We are all children of God. I have plenty of criticisms of AA, but the struggle of its founders isn't one of them.
It's really good to hear that you hung in there during the withdrawal period. You'll continue to feel better with every passing day, so you can look forward to a bright future.

I've noticed that those who trust in Christ to help them through this tough time, have a much higher success rate and a better quality of life than unbelievers. I noticed the difference while listening to people share in AA and NA meetings.

I was trying to draw a comparison between the Biblical term for an alcoholic and addict and what the medical professionals call it. They are right to call it a disease, in the sense that every single person is born with a disease. But the Bible says that everyone is born with a disease called a "sin nature".

Our sin nature causes every person to commit serious sins. Addiction is no worse than any other serious sin, so I wasn't trying make alcoholics and addicts sound any worse than other sinners.

The Bible describes mankind as being totally depraved, so it's no surprise the world has been plagued by war and every other affliction since the begging of human history.

Everything that's wrong in the world can be traced back to the human heart, which is bent towards rebellion against God. I struggled with addiction for many years and spent a lot of money in various treatment centers. Looking back I realize that secular medicine, treats the external symptoms while the root cause is left untreated.

When Jesus healed people, He healed their body and soul. But He made it clear that the soul is far more important than this body of death. I know a believer who is wheelchair bound but he is far happier than the healthy rich unbelievers I know.

This life is very short, so we can bare our burden with the joy of knowing that Jesus could return at any moment and give us our perfect, indestructible, glorified, sinless, eternal bodies.

Upvote 0