✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by StogusMaximus
Do the Palestinians use sticks and stones?
Well, stones, yes. Along with bombs, guns, and anything else.

People who want to see more on this should read John Lott's _More Guns, Less Crime_; he analyzes an amazing amount of data, and comes to the conclusion that, as you arm "normal" people, criminals get a lot less willing to enter into confrontations with the general populace; violent crime goes down, property crime goes up. It makes a certain amount of sense.

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ehhh, JohnR7....they've TRIED to control ammo. That teflon coated stuff or hollow points are supposed to be illegal. But if you got the bucks, you can have the ammo.

So go the other way: give EVERYONE a gun! The foolish will end up killing themselves, the weak will end up getting killed, and only the strong, MANLY, predator-types will survive.

If you're stupid enough to leave a gun where a child can get it, hey, you have no business reproducing, and you can be eligible for a "Darwin Award." If your teen is insane enough to pick the lock to your gun cabinet and either take the thing to school and wipe out his tormentors, OR, if he's loony enough to play Russian Roulette with his buds, hey, good riddance.

AND, for the homeowner who just wants to protect his property and tiptoes downstairs to confront a burglar with "Halt! I have a gun!" and the burglar takes advantage of the doofus who has given away his location AND informed the burglar he has nothing to lose by blowing the guy away, well, this is legal population control, right?

THEN....we can round up all the idiot parents, stupid teens, and loser burglars and give them all the Death Penalty.

Awwwwwwwww, feel the LOVE here, Guys!

Peace be with you,
~VOW

(Note to everyone: this was INTENDED to be sarcastic! It was not an attack on anyone, it was just an expression of extreme frustration!)

Upvote 0

StogusMaximus

Feb 5, 2002
Visit site
✟4,841.00
Faith
Protestant
Originally posted by VOW
So go the other way: give EVERYONE a gun! The foolish will end up killing themselves, the weak will end up getting killed, and only the strong, MANLY, predator-types will survive.

The MAJORITY of gun owners are well trained in how to handle their guns. They are safe and responsible. Also the MAJORITY of gun owners are not manly, predator-types, they are the average Joe who loves and supports their Constitutional right to own guns. There are exceptions to every rule and those exceptions are what is reported in the news. Needless to say for every 1 person who ends up killing themselves, there are thousands of gun owners who don't.

Originally posted by VOW
If you're stupid enough to leave a gun where a child can get it, hey, you have no business reproducing, and you can be eligible for a "Darwin Award." If your teen is insane enough to pick the lock to your gun cabinet and either take the thing to school and wipe out his tormentors, OR, if he's loony enough to play Russian Roulette with his buds, hey, good riddance.

If you are stupid enough to leave a gun where a child can get it, you should, and according to the law WILL go to jail. If your teen wants to break into your gun cabinet and wipe out his tormentors or play Russian Roulette, then there is a major problem with your parenting skills, and even if you don't have guns, that child will find a path to destruction.

Originally posted by VOW
AND, for the homeowner who just wants to protect his property and tiptoes downstairs to confront a burglar with "Halt! I have a gun!" and the burglar takes advantage of the doofus who has given away his location AND informed the burglar he has nothing to lose by blowing the guy away, well, this is legal population control, right?

Or the homeowner could hide in his bedroom and call the police. We all know the police are not understaffed and are able to appear on scene within minutes, right? Wrong, the latest reports here in Houston is it takes 3 hours for the police to respond to similar calls. That homeowner can sit in his room and wait for the burglar to break in and execute him.

Originally posted by VOW
THEN....we can round up all the idiot parents, stupid teens, and loser burglars and give them all the Death Penalty.

Why punish the responsible parents because of the idiot parents?
Why blame guns and not the parents for the stupid teens?
It is the loser burglar who makes the choice to break in my house and receive the death penalty.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
>>I personally feel safer owning a gun.

Just goes to show you, that your feeling can not be trusted. You would actually be safer not to own a gun. The chance of you or a loved one being killed with that gun is MUCH higher than the chance that you will ever need it to defend yourself.

I do not allow any ammo in my house. My son knows if I find any, I will take it up to the gun store and give it away to them. I don't care about the guns themselves, they are pretty harmless without the ammo. Thanks, JohnR7

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Mandy
As someone who had there house almost broken into, I am glad I had my gun.

My husband has a Concealed Weapon permit, and he worked in the security industry for a while. He often carried his personal weapon to the job site. One day, on his way to work, he stopped at a gas station. The gun was inside his briefcase, and locked in his car. The car was parked right in front of the gas station, and he could see it through the window when he went inside.

He came out to find the briefcase and contents stolen.

He was unbelievably angry. Even though he didn't see WHO did it, he told me later, "I should have chased the guy!"

I said, "You're NUTS. The guy was ARMED!"

Where's the "safe feeling" in THAT?

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0

StogusMaximus

Feb 5, 2002
Visit site
✟4,841.00
Faith
Protestant
Originally posted by JohnR7
>>I personally feel safer owning a gun.

Just goes to show you, that your feeling can not be trusted. You would actually be safer not to own a gun. The chance of you or a loved one being killed with that gun is MUCH higher than the chance that you will ever need it to defend yourself.

I do not allow any ammo in my house. My son knows if I find any, I will take it up to the gun store and give it away to them. I don't care about the guns themselves, they are pretty harmless without the ammo. Thanks, JohnR7

Do you mind giving the source to this statistic?

Upvote 0

StogusMaximus

Feb 5, 2002
Visit site
✟4,841.00
Faith
Protestant
Originally posted by VOW
My husband has a Concealed Weapon permit, and he worked in the security industry for a while. He often carried his personal weapon to the job site. One day, on his way to work, he stopped at a gas station. The gun was inside his briefcase, and locked in his car. The car was parked right in front of the gas station, and he could see it through the window when he went inside.

He came out to find the briefcase and contents stolen.

No offence to your husband, but you should never leave your firearm in your car, in a briefcase. When you are going to carry your firearm, you carry it on your body.

Originally posted by VOW
I said, "You're NUTS. The guy was ARMED!"

Where's the "safe feeling" in THAT?

It was your husband who armed this guy.

Upvote 0

Mandy

Dec 28, 2001
California
Visit site
✟7,109.00
I would rather be prepared and able to defend myself and my children, especially if my husband was not at home, than to worry about how to protect us with nothing. When people break into houses it isn't always just to steal, there are looneys out there.

John, my guns are kept locked in a safe place and there is no chance for me, my husband, or my children to be killed with them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To Mandy:

How are you going to have the presence of mind to GET to the gun in a locked cabinet if someone is breaking into your house?

To Stogus:

Oh, agreed, my husband was an idiot. And if he hadn't HAD the blankety-blank thing, there wouldn't be another illegally-obtained gun on the street!

FYI, if he did not have the CCW, he would not be able to legally carry the weapon into a store. Some cities even have laws against carrying a VISIBLE weapon upon your body. You transport it, empty, locked in the trunk of your car. Period.

People make stupid mistakes, though. That's the price of being human. And the stupid mistakes are what cause the fatal gun accidents that have the Gun Control fanatics foaming at the mouth.

::: wiping foam off chin :::

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0

Mandy

Dec 28, 2001
California
Visit site
✟7,109.00
I admit it's very hard to do. I am in fact one who tends to freak out first and then think, but not when it comes to my children. But when this incident happened it made me think about a lot of things like the safety of my children. It was after all my youngest two boys' window through which the guy almost got in. The best thing to do is be prepared.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
>>Do you mind giving the source to this statistic?

Over 50,000 people are shot dead every year in the U.S. and more than 160,000 seriously injured. Gun fire death has reached epidemic proportions and is a close second to motor vehicle deaths.

A quarter of NY City students in grades 9-12 have reported carrying a weapon at least once during the 30 days before being questioned and 36% reported being threatened with physical harm. Weapon carrying students were twice as likely to believe that carrying or using a weapon was effective in avoiding a fight.

Just how many of those 50,000 death a year from guns do you think are "justified"? As far as I know, the so called "justified" rate, if there is such a thing as a "justified" use of a gun runs 43 to 1. That is for ever 43 gun related deaths one is a so called justifed death where they could establish self defense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
>>John, my guns are kept locked in a safe place and there is no chance for me, my husband, or my children to be killed with them.

You are more the exception then. Most gun people I talk to feel they have to have a loaded gun next to their bed and they do not even want to put the safty on, because that could slow them down if they need to defend themselves.

They trust in a gun to protect and defend them and their family. I put my hope, love & trust in God. I have the added advantage that God can protect me against disease and a lot of other causes of early death, other then just guns.

What people should put their trust in is Holy and Right living. People do not want to live Holy and Right before God, so they trust in a gun to protect them. As far as I am concerned that gun offers NO protection and usually caused more harm then good.

I am not really against guns so much as the crazy people who want to own them. I was in the knife business for 15 years and I worked enough gun shows to know how insane many of the gun people are with their cowboy take justice into my own hads mentality. Thanks, JohnR7

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am in favor of gun control.
Look at the lower rate of violence in countries that impose strict controls on firearms.
Also, in such countries, violent crime is much less in scale. What I mean by that is that you rarely if ever hear about the massacres that have happened almost every few months in the US.
Just a thought.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
>>the guy almost got in.

Maybe you need to better secure the window. Thiefs are usually rather lazy. If your house is difficult to break into, they will go find an easy one. Often they will "test" the windows with a pry bar. If the window pops right open and many of them will, then they will enter the house. If the entrance is properly secure, they will just head onto the next house. Often you can just cut a peice of wood to stuff in the window to give it the needed security. Actually home improvement stores will cut the wood for you. That way the only way they could get in would be to actually break the glass. I really do not know of any criminals that want to crawl through broken glass to get into a house. I had a storm door lock on me once and I did not have a key, so I broke the glass and reached into unlock the door. I ended up getting cut on the glass bad enough to need stitches. That is just not something a person should do in the dark or with poor lighting. They take way to big of a chance on hurting themselves.

I had a house once, I saw evidence where someone tried to pry the windows open. I had them well secured, and even though they tried to pry open every window on one side of my house, none of them would pop. So I am sure they gave up and went somewhere else. Or if your really paranoid, then get a dog to protect you. But even then, there is a good chance the dog will attack a friend. So you have to be careful and make sure your insurace is paid up. Thanks, JohnR7

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
John,

You do not speak for me, my friends, or any gun owner I know. If it is your conviction to own, or not to own a firearm or ammo, you are perfectly entitled to act upon your own convictions. You have your own reasoning and logic for doing so. But, you have absolutely no right, whatsoever, to speak for me, my friends, or other people. Scripture speaks on such issues.

Rom 14:1-6
"1 Receive one who is weak in the faith, but not to disputes over doubtful things. 2 For one believes he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats only vegetables. 3 Let not him who eats despise him who does not eat, and let not him who does not eat judge him who eats; for God has received him. 4 Who are you to judge another's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand. 5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks."

John

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
>> you have absolutely no right, whatsoever, to speak for me, my friends, or other people.

I do not speak for any man. I just go by the Bible and I read there that we are to trust in God to defend and protect us. Paul says are weapons are not carnal, but mighty onto God.

I don't care if you have a atomic bomb. The resurrection power of God is MORE powerful. The bomb can only kill. The power of God can raise people up from death.

Psalm 44:5-8
Through You we will push down our enemies;
Through Your name we will trample those who rise up against us.
[6] For I will not trust in my bow,
Nor shall my sword save me.
[7] But You have saved us from our enemies,
And have put to shame those who hated us.
[8] In God we boast all day long,
And praise Your name forever.
Selah

Upvote 0