Status
Not open for further replies.

PraiseToHim

Dec 17, 2005
✟291.00
Faith
Christian
Tyndale said:
I'm not sure if the Angels in heaven protect us while we're on Earth.

Oh, they certainly do, my young friend.

The Hebrew word for Angel does mean Messanger, However they do much more than that. The Angel Michael lead God's army of Angels to drive Lucifer (called the dragon) out of heaven after they rebelled.

God does indeed send His angels to help us:

Gen 24:40 and his reply was, "Yahweh, in whose presence I have walked, will send his angel with you and make your journey successful, for you to choose a wife for my son from my own kinsfolk, from my father's house.

and protect us:

Gen 48:16 theAngel who has saved me from all harm, bless these boys, so that my name may live on in them, and the names of my ancestors Abraham and Isaac, and they grow into teeming multitudes on earth!

Exo 14:19 Then theangelof God, who preceded the army of Israel, changed station and followed behind them. The pillar of cloud moved from their front and took position behind them.
Exo 14:20 It came between the army of the Egyptians and the army of Israel. The cloud was dark, and the night passed without the one drawing any closer to the other the whole night long.

OR even to strike down or punish:

Num 22:31 Yahweh then opened Balaam's eyes and he saw the angel of Yahweh standing in the road with a drawn sword in his hand; and he bowed his head and threw himself on his face.
Num 22:32 And the angel of Yahweh said to him, 'Why did you strike your donkey three times like that? I myself had come to bar your way; while I am here your road is blocked.
Num 22:33 The donkey saw me and turned aside because of me three times. You are lucky she did turn aside, or I should have killed you by now, though I would have spared her.'

2Samual 24:16 But when the angel stretched his hand towards Jerusalem to destroy it, Yahweh felt sorry about the calamity and said to the angel who was destroying the people, 'Enough now! Hold your hand!' The angel of Yahweh was standing by the threshing-floor of Araunah the Jebusite.
2Samual 24:17 When David saw the angel who was ravaging the people, he said to Yahweh, 'I was the one who sinned. I was the one who acted wrongly. But these, the flock, what have they done? Let your hand lie heavy on me and on my family!'

God's Holy Angels are always among us. Indeed, some of us have entertained Angels though we did not even know it.

Amen to that. His holy angels are all around us.

Upvote 0

savedfromdistruction

Dec 30, 2006
Texas
Visit site
✟8,870.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Whilst crusing through these forums I have noticed a number of comments about Guardian Angels. Whilst I have no doubt that the LORD will send his angels when we are in need of them, I doubt that we are appointed our own angel as some posters seem to suggest.

Is there a Scriptural reference to support this idea? Do you have a Guardian Angel? What evidence do you have to support such an idea?
:scratch:

The idea of Guardian Angels is usually the idea of some angelic being thhat abides with us to protect us from any harm. That idea is not biblical. There is no such promise in scripture. keep in mind that those who hold such a view have a lot of explaining to do as to why these so called guardians fail so often.
While the Lord can and has on occassions sent an angle to help or offer protection to one of His children this is not the norm. I would suggest that we not tempt the Lord and pray that we do not fall into temptation and just allow Him to work in us asHe sees fit.

Upvote 0

ScottBot

Revolutionary
May 2, 2005
a state of desperation
✟57,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The idea of Guardian Angels is usually the idea of some angelic being thhat abides with us to protect us from any harm. That idea is not biblical. There is no such promise in scripture. keep in mind that those who hold such a view have a lot of explaining to do as to why these so called guardians fail so often.
While the Lord can and has on occassions sent an angle to help or offer protection to one of His children this is not the norm. I would suggest that we not tempt the Lord and pray that we do not fall into temptation and just allow Him to work in us asHe sees fit.
Question. If Jesus can and will do everything for us individually and personally, why does the bible even mention angels? They seem like a waste of effort.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
At baptism, each of us receives a Guardian Angel, a messenger of God, whose sole purpose it is to steer us towards the Heavenly Kingdom.

The angel of the Lord will encamp round about them that fear Him, and will deliver them (Ps. 33:7).

No evils shall come nigh thee, and no scourge shall come nigh unto thy dwelling. For He shall give His angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. On their hands shall they bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone (Ps. 90:10-12).

http://www.serfes.org/orthodox/angels.htm

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are angels in the New Testament? and if they are how do they way up with the Holy Ghost on performance?

When the high priests put the apostles in prison, the Angel of the Lord opened the prison doors by night and brought them forth, saying: Go, stand and speak in the temple to the people all of the words of this life (Acts 5:17-20; 12:7-10).

When Herod, the kinglet of Galilee, persecuted the Church, killed the apostle James, and intended to kill Peter too, then immediately the Angel of the Lord smote him-and he was eaten of worms, and gave up the ghost (Acts 12:23).

When Philip was preaching in Samaria, an angel directed him toward Gaza to meet a man of Ethiopia, a eunuch of great authority under Candace, Queen of Ethiopia. Philip taught him of Jesus the Messiah, and baptized him. That eunuch was the first Chrsitian of his country. Thus, the angels helped the apostles in spreading the Gospel to distant countries (Acts 8:26).

A Roman officer, Cornelius, while praying at about three o'clock on a sunny afternoon, saw in a vision an angel of God, who advised him to call Peter from Joppa. After Peter's instruction Cornelius was baptized, along with his whole household. In this case too, the angel of the Lord promoted the growth of the Church among the pagans (Acts, chapter 10). While St. Paul was sailing to Rome with 276 souls, a terrible storm threatened to engulf the ship. Fear not, Paul, thou must be brought before Caesar, and lo, God has given thee all them that sail with thee, which indeed happened (Acts 27:20-25).

Forgive me...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.