Aug 24, 2008
✟18,742.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
"What has happened is that..certain politicians decided that this project would be very useful for their political ambitions," Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf said, adding that this had prompted a "growing Islamophobia" in the US.

Imam Rauf said that he would not have proposed his Islamic Centre had he anticipated the furore that has resulted. "I would never have done it."
But he was reluctant to consider a different site because of how this would be interpreted by Islamic extremists. "My major concern with moving it is that the headline in the Muslim world will be Islam is under attack in America.
This will strengthen the radicals in the Muslim world, help their recruitment, this will put our people -- our soldiers, our troops, our embassies, our citizens -- under attack in the Muslim world and we have expanded and given and fuelled terrorism."

All seems fairly reasonable to me.

It is clear that this "controversy" has been blown out of proportion to a ridiculous extent, and that a number of people fueling the flames had political interests in doing so.

It is also clear that Imam is stuck in a fairly tough position in which there is no easy way out - whatever he does he is going to be antagonising someone, and it isn't his fault he is in this position - it is the fault of radicals on both sides, radicals who for the most part will have nothing to do with this specific building at all and who have only become "involved" in this situation because of the way it has been escalated.

There is no reason why this guy should be under pressure from Sarah Palin or from radical Muslims on the other side of the world. This entirely local issue has been turned into a symbolic point of conflict which has gone far beyond whether or not this one community centre should go ahead. It doesn't reflect well on those on either side who have caused this to happen.

Upvote 0

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I don't follow what Sarah Palin says or writes. I don't know if she has fed into an exaggerated fear, mistrust, or anger towards Muslims.

I believe politicians on both sides of the aisle have used the New York construction to garner brownie points. This has likely prompted people to dig in their feet and deepen their convictions.

There are some very strong views of Islam on CF. I don't know how much the media and politicians have to do with this.

Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2008
✟18,742.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I don't follow what Sarah Palin says or writes. I don't know if she has fed into an exaggerated fear, mistrust, or anger towards Muslims.

I believe politicians on both sides of the aisle have used the New York construction to garner brownie points.

Indeed, this isn't just about Sarah Palin, and if people read the article that Imam does not believe it is just about Sara Palin either.

The fact of the matter is that in the current climate of anti-Muslim sentiment, there are votes to be had from tapping into discontent. There are also votes to be had from standing in opposition to those who would tap into discontent.

What should have been simply a matter of local planning regulation has been turned into a political football on an international scale because there were people in whose interest it was to do so. The claims that this is just about what happened on September 11 is, as the Imam say, disingenuous.

Upvote 0

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it's about time these "phobes" actually became the phobes those with the phobias for the phobes they accuse of being phobes could feel justified their fearfully phobic fears for phobes weren't phobic folly in the first place.

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2008
✟18,742.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I think it's about time these "phobes" actually became the phobes those with the phobias for the phobes they accuse of being phobes could feel justified their fearfully phobic fears for phobes weren't phobic folly in the first place.

Good effort, but unfortunately ungrammatical and therefore non-sensical :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Imam Rauf is behind the curve. John Boehner is the villain of the week, not Sarah Palin.
How silly of him to point at someone who actually was one of the first to rouse the rabble instead of the villain of the day.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

You know, with a little more of that, you could run for office!

Reactions: HerbieHeadley
Upvote 0

childofGod1

Aug 21, 2010
✟18,710.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Either Rauf is one slow witted imam or he came up with this mosque to poke America in the eye. If he didn't know that it would become this controversial, he must be living in a cave. He can't legitimately claim to be a victim, he placed himself squarely in the middle. His feigned innocence is intellectually dishonest, and frankly laughable.

Upvote 0

SOAD

Why do they always send the poor? (S.O.A.D.)
Jul 20, 2006
✟7,778.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Either Rauf is one slow witted imam or he came up with this mosque to poke America in the eye. If he didn't know that it would become this controversial, he must be living in a cave. He can't legitimately claim to be a victim, he placed himself squarely in the middle. His feigned innocence is intellectually dishonest, and frankly laughable.
Your false dilemma has been noted. This community center has been in the works for quite a while, and it has only become a political issue prior to elections. You and others who think like you have been hoodwinked into believing the fear and hatred spewed by bigots.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Aug 24, 2008
✟18,742.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens

Really?

This project has been in the works for over a year, the building has been used by Muslims as a place for prayer for a year prior to the proposed development, there are existing Muslim places of worship in the general area, a couple of blocks away, the building has already gone through a number of relevant local government planning processes, and it has only been the last month or so that when a number of right wing commentators started agitating about the site that it became anything more than a fairly routine matter of local planning.

Considering that, why would there have been any reason for the Imam to believe he was about to be pushed into the middle of an international controversy?

Upvote 0

RealDealNeverstop

Is Prayer Your First or Last Action?
Sep 15, 2007
✟36,318.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I doubt his innocence is feigned nor is he slow witted. He modeled this community center on the upper eastside Young Mens Hebrew Assocication (YMHA). He consulted with other religious leaders, Christian and Jewish, who are on the board of this project.

The "mosque" is an area set aside to worship and takes up a small percentage of the total proposed building - which also includes a basketball court, a swimming pool, a culinary school, an auditorium, an art studio, a childcare facility and a bookstore.

The hate-mongers Pamela Geller and Robert Spenser are the primary sponsors of the ignorant antimosque movement. They are out to stop the "Islamization" of America - as though 0.6% of the population is going to overwhelm the other 99.4%.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.