Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi - I'm using this username on here because I got new rosary beads, and my family is baptist. Dominican rosary beads + baptist = Dominic Baptiste. When I was a kid, my mom took me and my siblings to a large United Methodist Church. My family are historically baptist and some pentecostal, which I think in the Southern United States are closely related. One of my sixth great grandfathers was an evangelist from a French protestant family living in colonial Virginia who had joined the Anglican Church, and he was among the first men to preach in the state of Tennessee as a baptist, and he founded a church in South Carolina as well. My genealogy reads like a history of the baptists. But like I said, my mom took us to the methodist church. When I was in second grade, I was selected to sing in the Chattanooga Boys Choir, which at that time was under the direction of an Episcopalian Choirmaster. Each year, we sang our spring concert at the now "Minor Basilica" Saints Peter & Paul Catholic Church in Chattanooga, TN. In the summers, we practiced at the University of the South on Monte Eagle Mountain, and I distinctly remember my first communion in the beautiful All Saints Chapel (Episcopalian) there because back at the Methodist Church, we had grape juice and not the wine that burned down my throat that day. Denominationaly confused is how I feel now. As an adult I've worked mostly in food service and manufacturing, and I've learned from friends who are transplants from other parts of the country practices from Roman Catholicism, which goes against my family history, but I like it anyway. I have membership in a methodist church still, but I only visit it and other churches from time to time, and I pray at home and watch online ministries of various kinds more than I do attend services in person. I took an online class about Spiritual Formation about a year ago, and the main point of it was to walk continually towards Jesus and all that he represents, while practicing the spiritual diciplines, some of which include: prayer, fasting, reading scripture, and corporate forms of worship. There are more of them, but those are a start. I am currently resisting the urge to change denominations because I have known people who seem to constantly be searching for something new, and I think I should make the best of where I currently am, but we will see. -DB (The picture is of All Saints Chapel at the University of the South in Sewanee, Tennessee and some food I had after visiting the service at Blue Chair Cafe. The service was an early one with no music, so I will put a link to some Southern Gospel, just to liven it up some:
This is a link to the readings from the service: https://www.episcopalchurch.org/lectionary/nineteenth-sunday-after-pentecost-2. The other picture I found online of how to pray the rosary.)

Attachments

• 9db4783194b69fa25cd16022e5a111f3.jpg
    9db4783194b69fa25cd16022e5a111f3.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 1
  • FB_IMG_1508188692626.jpg
    FB_IMG_1508188692626.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi - I'm using this username on here because I got new rosary beads, and my family is baptist. Dominican rosary beads + baptist = Dominic Baptiste. When I was a kid, my mom took me and my siblings to a large United Methodist Church. My family are historically baptist and some pentecostal, which I think in the Southern United States are closely related. One of my sixth great grandfathers was an evangelist from a French protestant family living in colonial Virginia who had joined the Anglican Church, and he was among the first men to preach in the state of Tennessee as a baptist, and he founded a church in South Carolina as well. My genealogy reads like a history of the baptists. But like I said, my mom took us to the methodist church. When I was in second grade, I was selected to sing in the Chattanooga Boys Choir, which at that time was under the direction of an Episcopalian Choirmaster. Each year, we sang our spring concert at the now "Minor Basilica" Saints Peter & Paul Catholic Church in Chattanooga, TN. In the summers, we practiced at the University of the South on Monte Eagle Mountain, and I distinctly remember my first communion in the beautiful All Saints Chapel (Episcopalian) there because back at the Methodist Church, we had grape juice and not the wine that burned down my throat that day. Denominationaly confused is how I feel now. As an adult I've worked mostly in food service and manufacturing, and I've learned from friends who are transplants from other parts of the country practices from Roman Catholicism, which goes against my family history, but I like it anyway. I have membership in a methodist church still, but I only visit it and other churches from time to time, and I pray at home and watch online ministries of various kinds more than I do attend services in person. I took an online class about Spiritual Formation about a year ago, and the main point of it was to walk continually towards Jesus and all that he represents, while practicing the spiritual diciplines, some of which include: prayer, fasting, reading scripture, and corporate forms of worship. There are more of them, but those are a start. I am currently resisting the urge to change denominations because I have known people who seem to constantly be searching for something new, and I think I should make the best of where I currently am, but we will see. -DB (The picture is of All Saints Chapel at the University of the South in Sewanee, Tennessee and some food I had after visiting the service at Blue Chair Cafe. The service was an early one with no music, so I will put a link to some Southern Gospel, just to liven it up some:
This is a link to the readings from the service: https://www.episcopalchurch.org/lectionary/nineteenth-sunday-after-pentecost-2. The other picture I found online of how to pray the rosary.)
Welcome to CF. Do you pray the Rosary? Enjoy yourself here on CF.

Upvote 0

DominicBaptiste

Oct 16, 2017
North Alabama
✟21,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Welcome to CF. Do you pray the Rosary? Enjoy yourself here on CF.
I play the youtube video of the rosary as my new bedtime prayer. I used to just pray the Lord's Prayer, which I had done for about the past 15 years.

Upvote 0

DominicBaptiste

Oct 16, 2017
North Alabama
✟21,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

DominicBaptiste

Oct 16, 2017
North Alabama
✟21,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi; good to see you; God bless His Word to you; John's Gospel is a wonderful book of the Bible to get to know well; John3.16 has a wonderful summary of the Gospel; John 14.1-27 is a very strengthening passage for the believer.

Thank you. I read it. :^)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DominicBaptiste

Oct 16, 2017
North Alabama
✟21,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
View attachment 210311 Welcome! I think it might be interesting just what it is that you enjoy about your faith changes, and see what it is you have missed in the earlier faiths... we make changes for reasons... glad you like yours!
Thank you :^))

Reactions: drjean
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Blessings!!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums