London
✟8,551.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I am a first time poster so please bear with me! I have always been suspicious of the, seemingly, blind assumption that there is a magical force forcing us down to the Earth - surely there is a greater power at play here?

May this be the devil's will trying to bring us to the darkness? God's might keeping us above ground and, ultimately, winning the battle of good and evil.

What do you think?

Jul 14, 2021
Portsmouth
✟355.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am a first time poster so please bear with me! I have always been suspicious of the, seemingly, blind assumption that there is a magical force forcing us down to the Earth - surely there is a greater power at play here?

May this be the devil's will trying to bring us to the darkness? God's might keeping us above ground and, ultimately, winning the battle of good and evil.

What do you think?

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times - God is great and God is gravity.

At the end of the day, it is what it is. Why can more people not understand that?

• Friendly
Reactions: CWalsh2468
Upvote 0

CWalsh2468

Jul 14, 2021
London
✟8,551.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Fantastically well put. I sometimes jump from a small height just to tease the darkness, knowing that the Almighty will stop me from falling into despair!

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times - God is great and God is gravity.

At the end of the day, it is what it is. Why can more people not understand that?

Upvote 0

AndersL

Jul 14, 2021
Goteborg
✟7,726.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
I think as astronauts experience zero gravity it is quite obvious the further we get from the devil, the less we feel him pulling us to the darkness

I totally disagree. Leviticus 20 : 12

12 “‘If a man has sexual relations with his daughter-in-law, both of them are to be put to death. What they have done is a perversion; their blood will be on their own heads.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Gravity - is it really there?
If it isn't, I have been wasting an awful lot of time just standing around...
full

I totally disagree. Leviticus 20 : 12

12 “‘If a man has sexual relations with his daughter-in-law, both of them are to be put to death. What they have done is a perversion; their blood will be on their own heads.
That is not a very convincing argument for or against gravity...
full

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,478.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Gravity has nothing to do with the devil.

Did Adam and Eve float around before they took that fateful bite?

Amazing what people dream up these days!

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2021
Portsmouth
✟355.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is supposed to be a safe space to discuss scientific ideas.

You were not there with Adam and Eve. Maybe they floated. Maybe they didn't. Who are you to know?

Open your mind to the impossible and God will reward you!

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2021
Portsmouth
✟355.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If it isn't, I have been wasting an awful lot of time just standing around...
full

That is not a very convincing for or against gravity...
full

I know! I think this guy might be on something...

• Useful
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,478.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

You were not there with Adam and Eve. Maybe they floated. Maybe they didn't. Who are you to know?

It doesnt mean i cant give my opinion / reality.

It says in Genesis that Adam and Eve 'walked' in the garden. Not floated.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

What do you think?
Did Adam and Eve not walk about the Garden? Did the trees seem to stay planted, and the ground hold together? Why did a mist water the face of the earth, instead of rain falling upwards?

Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,740.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

Thoughts about Adam and Eve and what god does or doesn't do are not science - they are religion.

This is a place to discuss non-mainstream or controversial science.

OB

• Agree
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thoughts about Adam and Eve and what god does or doesn't do are not science - they are religion.

This is a place to discuss non-mainstream or controversial science.
Taking Genesis as literal history, its descriptions apply as witness statements of the physical conditions at the time. They can only be disregarded as [witness statements] if they were figurative, but that is a limitation that you are imposing on the text, not a foregone conclusion. Even if you have an argument why they must be figurative, that is not the context in which they were offered.

Evangelical Christians treat said text as literal. Jesus even treated Adam & Eve (and Noah) as literal.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,740.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Taking Genesis as literal history, its descriptions apply as witness statements of the physical conditions at the time. They can only be disregarded as [witness statements] if they were figurative, but that is a limitation that you are imposing on the text, not a foregone conclusion. Even if you have an argument why they must be figurative, that is not the context in which they were offered.

Evangelical Christians treat the text as literal.

Treating the text as literal does not qualify it as science. Science cannot and does not take the supernatural world into account since it has no way of measuring it.

By the admission of most (all?) Christians religious belief is based on faith. The beliefs associated with faith are not scientifically able to be quantified or verified.

I am not trying to malign Christianity - merely to point out that it is not science.

Following your logic, any and all beliefs are science simply because they are believed.

OB

• Agree
Reactions: rhomphaeam
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Treating the text as literal does not qualify it as science. Science cannot and does not take the supernatural world into account since it has no way of measuring it.
You are right. The Bible is not a scientific compilation. It is a historical one.
Pointing out that "these historical figures walked" speaks to the seeming function of gravity in prelapsarian times.

Reexamining the context of the OP, I will just leave it at that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0